Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #646
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
As far as mens ware-Can my DFH wear his Navy dress blues? Bringing with him anyways since we are getting married on this trip. I would hate to have to go buy him a sports coat when he has the military equivalent of a tux.
yeap. DH wore his Mess dress the last time we were there. and I am packing it again for our trip this Fall.

we ended up sharing after dinner coffee with another table( Ex Army Colonel)
Mrsjvb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #647
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Navy blues are VERY MUCH appropriate for V&A (or anywhere else for that matter). Thank him for his service and thank you for your support of his service. The spouse at home serves as well! I hope you two enjoy V&A as much as DW and I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
yeap. DH wore his Mess dress the last time we were there. and I am packing it again for our trip this Fall.

we ended up sharing after dinner coffee with another table( Ex Army Colonel)
We just got back to BLT from V&A. DFH wore his blues and he looked great. We got lots of congratulations on the wedding and he got several thank yous for your service. There was a retired military personnel and his wife in the restaurant who tried to send after dinner drinks to our table but we were way too full and each had a wine paring. But we talked to them a moment and it was very nice.

DFH is not a DISer and I made all the ADRs. I told him we were going to V&As but he really didn't take a look at the website. The other day he said something about the food probably being overpriced and mediocre. Oh boy, is he singing a different tune now! After just a few bites he was sold! V&A is now a MUST do for us. I was on the fence due to the price but I know I made the right decision in going! Next time I will try for the Queen Victoria room.
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #648
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
The other day he said something about the food probably being overpriced and mediocre. Oh boy, is he singing a different tune now! After just a few bites he was sold! V&A is now a MUST do for us. I was on the fence due to the price but I know I made the right decision in going! Next time I will try for the Queen Victoria room.

ahh another convert!!!

we agree; we actually budget it into any trips that we take, no matter how short or whether or not there is an occasion to celebrate. I will gladly cheap out and pack sandwiches from the cafe at SoG a few days to be able to afford it. and we love to wander the GF before or after as well.
Mrsjvb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #649
engle
DIS Veteran

I am with ya...we ALWAYS plan it!! Or so we thought!! We are going on a trip with DH's father and FIL's new GF. This is the first trip to WDW and V&A is definitely not for them...and I can't squeeze it in!! UGH!! We arrive at 6pm the night before they do and I am afraid to risk it that night...the only night I can do it!! I really wanted to do the Queen Victoria room since it is the only experience there we haven't done yet...next time. But it is killing me!!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #650
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
I really wanted to do the Queen Victoria room since it is the only experience there we haven't done yet...next time. But it is killing me!!!
The QVR "experience" is just that: an experience. We were unable to eat our desserts due to the abundance of food in the ten courses, to say nothing of the wine pairings, on our last visit.

We enjoyed the semi-privacy of the room when it wasn't an exclusive room on several occasions, and look forward to our return to the main room in March...where the courses are more easily managed.

For us, a return to the QVR would have us eliminate the two wine pairings.

Fortunately, no matter which of the V&A options one selects, the high quality of food and service is guaranteed.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #651
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

OK.. so I'm going to ask a REALLY, REALLY stupid question.. How the heck do you know how to eat some of that stuff lol.. I would LOVE to try this, would LOVE either the chef's table or the queens room, just one time.. But, looking at pictures, I wouldnt know how to 'attack' the food properly..
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #652
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
OK.. so I'm going to ask a REALLY, REALLY stupid question.. How the heck do you know how to eat some of that stuff lol.. I would LOVE to try this, would LOVE either the chef's table or the queens room, just one time.. But, looking at pictures, I wouldnt know how to 'attack' the food properly..
No special technique. Knife and fork. Please don't eat with your fingers.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #653
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
OK.. so I'm going to ask a REALLY, REALLY stupid question.. How the heck do you know how to eat some of that stuff lol.. I would LOVE to try this, would LOVE either the chef's table or the queens room, just one time.. But, looking at pictures, I wouldn't know how to 'attack' the food properly..
Unlike most other restaurants, at V&A they use "Russian" service. They bring fresh silverware for each course.

And what they bring is specific and proper to the food being served. One time during a soup course Judy had a consomme and it was served in a two-handle cup with a round spoon, while my cream soup was served in a shallow bowl with a lip and an oval spoon.

So you will always have the proper utensils for what you are eating.,

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #654
AAshleySEG
Mouseketeer

Thinking the Same Thing!

Quote:
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing, my DH and I are going on March 1st for our 5th Anniversary/Late Valentine's Day Dinner. I am so nervous about eating things properly. We have never been to a 5 Diamond Award Winning Restaurant before, and I don't want to make a fool of myself. I know it is all about our experience, but I would like to know all of the proper etiquette for eating everything. I also want to do the wine pairings, but am going to have to see if I can get smaller pours because there is no way that I could drink that many full glasses of wine, I don't think I could walk out of there after we eat dinner. I think I could manage figuring out how to eat the main courses, but as far as the Amuse-Bouche, I don't know what is appropriate. I have lived in a very small town my whole life and wish I knew more about this type of fine dining experience!
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #655
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAshleySEG View Post
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing, my DH and I are going on March 1st for our 5th Anniversary/Late Valentine's Day Dinner. I am so nervous about eating things properly. We have never been to a 5 Diamond Award Winning Restaurant before, and I don't want to make a fool of myself. I know it is all about our experience, but I would like to know all of the proper etiquette for eating everything. I also want to do the wine pairings, but am going to have to see if I can get smaller pours because there is no way that I could drink that many full glasses of wine, I don't think I could walk out of there after we eat dinner. I think I could manage figuring out how to eat the main courses, but as far as the Amuse-Bouche, I don't know what is appropriate. I have lived in a very small town my whole life and wish I knew more about this type of fine dining experience!
All you have to do is brush up on your fine dining skills. It's easy, and your fellow V&A diners will never know the difference.

Just go to any internet site that specializes in manners/etiquette and browse. And learn. And then practice at home. You'll have fun doing it, and you'll be a better guest once you arrrive at V&A. And as a result, you'll enjoy dining at better establishments more often.

V&A does not offer "full glasses of wine." Sports bars, TGI Fridays, etc. do. The V&A servings are appropriately poured to the curve of the glass. [That's another topic for another day.]

Your post makes us eager for our next dining experience at V&A later next month. And, ironically enough, on our drive home from WDW we usually stop for dinner at Cracker Barrel!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
BC1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #656
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Really, there is nothing to worry about eating at V&A if you have basic table manners....no one will be paying attention to you anyway! You can split the wine pairing if you want...although I never have anyone to split with. I just muddle through and take a taxi! I do find that I slow down and don't drink every single drop as they meal progresses...I also found that I don't enjoy port and they were willing to swap it out with another wine.

Jill in CO
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #657
AAshleySEG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
All you have to do is brush up on your fine dining skills. It's easy, and your fellow V&A diners will never know the difference.

Just go to any internet site that specializes in manners/etiquette and browse. And learn. And then practice at home. You'll have fun doing it, and you'll be a better guest once you arrrive at V&A. And as a result, you'll enjoy dining at better establishments more often.

V&A does not offer "full glasses of wine." Sports bars, TGI Fridays, etc. do. The V&A servings are appropriately poured to the curve of the glass. [That's another topic for another day.]

Your post makes us eager for our next dining experience at V&A later next month. And, ironically enough, on our drive home from WDW we usually stop for dinner at Cracker Barrel!

All the best.
I have been checking the internet, and I can only find etiquette about the dining itself, which I am familiar with. I mean I know everything about table etiquette, I was more speaking of the actual eating of the food, as far as is everything on the plates edible, or are some items just garnish etc. Those are the things I am having trouble finding any information on, and it is actually more specific to V&A I suppose, since I have never been there I was curious about that type of thing not which fork and knife to use, if you know what I mean.

And I wasn't expecting a "full" (to the brim) glass of wine I was a bit vague when I said that. I just meant that, I usually would only drink 1 (4oz) or so glass of wine with any meal, so having that much wine at one 3 hour sitting will be a lot for me. I read this entire thread and from what I gathered it sounded like they were standard pours? Am I right in thinking that? That each wine pairing is what would be considered a standard pour for V&A? So basically what I am saying is a standard bottle of wine has about 24.5 oz? So if each were a 4 oz pour then 6 course meal would be about a bottle? If anyone could let me know that would be amazing, thanks so much!
AAshleySEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #658
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
I have been checking the internet, and I can only find etiquette about the dining itself, which I am familiar with. I mean I know everything about table etiquette, I was more speaking of the actual eating of the food, as far as is everything on the plates edible, or are some items just garnish etc. Those are the things I am having trouble finding any information on, and it is actually more specific to V&A I suppose, since I have never been there I was curious about that type of thing not which fork and knife to use, if you know what I mean.

And I wasn't expecting a "full" (to the brim) glass of wine I was a bit vague when I said that. I just meant that, I usually would only drink 1 (4oz) or so glass of wine with any meal, so having that much wine at one 3 hour sitting will be a lot for me. I read this entire thread and from what I gathered it sounded like they were standard pours? Am I right in thinking that? That each wine pairing is what would be considered a standard pour for V&A? So basically what I am saying is a standard bottle of wine has about 24.5 oz? So if each were a 4 oz pour then 6 course meal would be about a bottle? If anyone could let me know that would be amazing, thanks so much!
The pours are standard pours...and yes, it ends up being a lot of wine but some amazing wines that you will never be able to get a single glass of anywhere else.

I've eaten at V&A twice and never had anything non-edible served to me. You will find it is not overwhelming....but if you do have a question, your serving team will answer without making you feel bad...they are there to make your meal amazing!

Jill in CO
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #659
TwoIfBySea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
The pours are standard pours...and yes, it ends up being a lot of wine but some amazing wines that you will never be able to get a single glass of anywhere else.
Well, as the earlier poster said, my usual amount of wine is about 4 oz. at one meal. (Ok, my USUAL amount is zero ounces, but when I have wine, it's one standard glass).

If I were going with three other adults, we could share one pour. But as I'm going with one 12-year-old who will be enjoying the nonalcoholic side of the beverage aisle, I'm not sure what to do.

I don't really want to order and pay for the equivalent of 6 glasses of wine and just take a few sips of each one. But I would very much like to try them all.

I suppose I can ask if they can give me 1-oz. pours for each wine and see what they say.
TwoIfBySea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #660
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
DW and I ate at V&A for the first time during our trip the week after Thanksgiving 2010 (TR link below). We live about 100 miles from New Orleans and have experienced some nice restaurants there but none are 5 diamond like V&A. We're not exactly "country come to town" when we go to nice places but they are not our usual place to visit...not for lack of desire to try but more for lack of availability in our small town. With that said, when we dined at V&A, we NEVER felt out of place or worried about some etiquette faux pas. The CM's weren't the least bit snooty or snobbish. They knew how much to explain, how much to instruct and when to say nothing. The correct silverware is given with each course, removed when done and new silverware placed for the next course so you don't even have to wonder which fork to use! It was the best dining experience ever for us! As for the wine with each course, when we made our reservations, we asked if we could split a wine pairing between us because we were leery about that much wine. We reminded them when we arrived and it was not a problem. They gave us a small pour of the appropriate wine with each course. The CM chose the correct wine based on what we each ordered. And don't worry about what to eat or not eat either. Everything served is edible. Try it all and eat whatever you desire. Just don't pick the soup bowl up to slurp the last bit (even though you will want to because it is so good) and you'll be fine!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV F&W | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV

MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek - BCV-Oct13 (TR In Progress)
Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey - Aulani-Sep12
Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? | BLT/VWL; May2012-Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
AKV/BWV; Nov/Dec2010; No Kids; Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
OKW; May2010; DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: