Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #301
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
The posting of the recent menu by TinkerBelle_325 reminds us that we may skip V&A when we return in a few months. The repetitive menu selections need to be replaced. But where do we go for that special dinner and first-rate service?
I didn't find the menu repetative at all. While the proteins were all similar, if not the same, as my previous visit in Sept 2009, the preparations were all different. They had been changed to reflect seasonality. In fact, my DDad requested the Timbale of Ratatouille that he had in Sept 2009 and he got an entirely different preparation! The Sept one was rich and earthy, whereas the March one was lighter and sweeter, reflecting the differences between Fall & Spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
But, Fess Parker Riesling sells for $13 a bottle.

I expect higher quality and more expensive wines for my $70 wine pairing.
This past weekend I bought a Medaille D'Or winning bottle of 2008 Chateau Pey La Tour for $15. The price of a wine does not always reflect its quality.

Also, mark ups on wine are HUGE...a $13 bottle could easily sell for $40-50 on a restaurant menu. Prices in liquor stores aren't reflective of what a restaurant will charge. Any way you cut it, $60 (the pairings are not $70), for 6 glasses of wine is a fantastic deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
The menu changes regularly in that it tries to be as seasonal as possible. So if you go the same time every year things look similar. However, I've never had any course exactly the same twice, I've had different presentations of things, but never exactly the same.
I have to agree, I've had the same "dish" more than once and the preparation varried dramatically.

I find that the proteins remain constant and there is a wide variety! Our menus had lobster, buffalo, scallops, shrimp, salmon, turbot, poulet rouge, duck, pork, veal, lamb, beef...that is a pretty wide reaching menu if you ask me. Name another restaurant at WDW that offers a dozen different proteins.
UPCOMING TRIP REPORT: What's this? What's this? A Halloween AND Christmas TR? Oct/Nov 2014
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! Oct/Nov 2014~
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #302
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
The menu changes regularly in that it tries to be as seasonal as possible. So if you go the same time every year things look similar. However, I've never had any course exactly the same twice, I've had different presentations of things, but never exactly the same.
Yes, I realize that - given that the recent thread discussion has been about the repetitive nature of the menu, my point was simply that the posted menu and what I experienced only a few weeks prior were in fact pretty different.

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #303
Poppinsme
I LOVE SMILEYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Master Pastry Chef Erich Herbitschek lovers challanges! Just request it in advance and it will show up. Of course, it will cost extra.
Excellent!!! Thank you.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #304
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

We are planning to go there in Nov. I noticed on the online menu that many of the desserts have dairy in them. I have recently become lactose intolerant. If I mention that when I make my reservation, will they have lactose free options for the other courses as well as the dessert?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #305
ReggieB
DIS Cast Member
I don't kiss cats anymore. I do like cats really, I just shouldn't kiss them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJ View Post
We are planning to go there in Nov. I noticed on the online menu that many of the desserts have dairy in them. I have recently become lactose intolerant. If I mention that when I make my reservation, will they have lactose free options for the other courses as well as the dessert?
Yes! Make sure it is noted on your reservation, and you can always call to confirm a week or so before your dining date. I have usually had a call directly from them a few days out just to confirm the booking and they have always asked about any likes/dislikes and dietary concerns.

2013: Disney Magic, Yacht Club Resort- WDW
2012: Grand Californian Resort, DL - Boardwalk Inn, WDW - Polynesian Resort, WDW - Disney Fantasy
2011: Boardwalk Inn
2010: Disney Magic - Beach Club Resort - MiraCosta (Tokyo Disney Resort)
2009: Yacht Club Resort - Grand Californian Resort, DL
2008: Yacht Club Resort - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disney Sea
2007: Disney Magic - Grand Floridian
2006: Grand Floridian - Disney Magic
2005: Beach Club Resort, Disney Wonder & Contemporary Resort - Wilderness Lodge
2004: Grand Floridian
2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge
1999: Coronado Springs
1995: Newport Bay Club (Disneyland Paris)
ReggieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #306
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Scott Joseph, the former Restaurant Critic for The Orlando Sentinel, has just today published a review of dining in the Queen Victoria Room.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #307
2infinityandbeyond
DIS Veteran

Can you use TIW for the Queen Victoria Room?
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #308
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2infinityandbeyond View Post
Can you use TIW for the Queen Victoria Room?
Nope.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #309
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

No TIW for either the Chefs Table or Queen Victoria Room. It's good for the main dining room only.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #310
hoosiercruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Scott Joseph, the former Restaurant Critic for The Orlando Sentinel, has just today published a review of dining in the Queen Victoria Room.
We were there that night. I only know this because our server told us they had 8 members of press in the Queen Victoria Room to promote this new room. That Victoria and Alberts does not advertise, but they invite press to come in. It was lots of fun to watch 8 servers, one plate each, at each course walking to the room. It was like a parade each time.

Magic Eastern 2009; Magic Western 2012;Fantasy Western 2013; Magic Southern Caribbean 2014; B2B Magic Repo 2014
hoosiercruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #311
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Cheshire: Thanks for that Scott Joseph review!!!
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #312
Symans3honeybees
DIS Veteran

FIRST TIMER @ Vic and Al Question

We have reservation for this August at the Dining room at Vic and Al's. Given that this is our first time eating there, we are wondering if is it fine for my DS to use his SLR camera with flash? Will other patrons be bothered by his random flashing??
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #313
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symans3honeybees View Post
We have reservation for this August at the Dining room at Vic and Al's. Given that this is our first time eating there, we are wondering if is it fine for my DS to use his SLR camera with flash? Will other patrons be bothered by his random flashing??
The staff specifically encouraged us to take pictures if we wanted and said not to worry at all about the flash. And TBH, if others took pictures, we never noticed it. Honestly, it's such an immersive experience, I hardly noticed a thing beyond our table, except for the nearby harpist.

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #314
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Sorry if this has already been asked in this thread but kids are sick and I don't have time to read 21 pages of posts... :-) DH and I are thinking of doing the Chef's Table for our 10th Anniversary. Is it worth the price? I'm still not sure I want to spend $500+ on one dinner. We went to V&A's on our honeymoon, so it would be very romantic to go again on our 10th. (We did the main dining room on our Honeymoon and have never done the Chef's Table) If anyone of you has been, is it worth $250 a person?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #315
arilvdc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Master Pastry Chef Erich Herbitschek lovers challanges! Just request it in advance and it will show up. Of course, it will cost extra.
What is this, and how much extra does it cost? Thanks!
arilvdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: