Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #226
BLTLDZ
Loving our DVC :)

I have a question for those of you that have done V&A's...

For our honeymoon, it is probably more romantic eating in the main dining room, correct?? We have never been.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #227
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTLDZ View Post

For our honeymoon, it is probably more romantic eating in the main dining room, correct?? We have never been.
Actually I think for your honeymoon NOTHING beats the Chef's Table!! It is an absolute once in a lifetime experience! I had dined in the Main Dining Room before, and was SO lucky to get CT ressies for our honeymoon. Actually the Poly IPO got them for me! From start to finish, the CT was the quintessential dining experience. I can't even remember how many courses right now! They gave us some special things I think shhhh! We tried the Waygu beef and it was the most decadent sliver/s of beef I've ever tried. So rich! Even if you can't get a seat at the CT, V+A's is a must-do for any Disneymooners!! Good luck!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #228
hoosiercruiser
Mouseketeer

Is there a corkage fee? We have a special bottle of wine we were thinking of bringing with us.

Magic Eastern 2009; Magic Western 2012;Fantasy Western 2013; Magic Southern Caribbean 2014; B2B Magic Repo 2014
hoosiercruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #229
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlfromTN View Post
Oh no. I am sorry about your experience Did you get to speak to the manager while you were there? I can't believe you were done in 2.5 hours - it has taken us longer to eat in the regular dining room. And I can't believe they give you the same menu items at the chef's table now - if that is a permanent change, then it is not appealing to me b/c my husband and I like to share so we can try a larger variety of dishes.
I couldn't believe I was done that quickly. I mean I was back in the room quickly enough to not miss most of my Monday night shows! This seems to be a permanent change as it was stated that the changed the experience on the 5th to the new set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_325 View Post
Oh my goodness! 2.5 hours for the Chefs Table is WAY too fast! When we dined in the main dining room in Sept we were seated at 5:15 and left at 9 after a tour of the kitchen! Our meal was 3.5 hours and fewer courses than the Chefs Table AND when we toured the kitchen the guests at the chefs table were still there!!

Also, the wait staff reaction to your feeling ill is unacceptable!

If you are paying $600 for a meal at the Chefs Table you should see the Chef on EVERY course. I'm going to assume is wasn't Chef Hunnel?

Rather than calling, I would personally go and visit V&A to convey your disappointment in the pacing, service and overall experience.
I know right! When we were at the table before we were seated at 5:15 & left at 9:30 which felt about right for us. It was not Chef Hunnel but rather his assistant.
I thought about going in person but I feel embarrassed enough by the entire situation & I know that the general manager of the restaurant is not in today & since his back up was one of the ones that rushed me out at the end, I know the complaints won't go far. I sent my email this afternoon & will see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiercruiser View Post
Is there a corkage fee? We have a special bottle of wine we were thinking of bringing with us.
There is a corkage fee - $35 a bottle was what it was 2 years ago when I brought a bottle in.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #230
hoosiercruiser
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the quick reply Dis_Yoda.

Magic Eastern 2009; Magic Western 2012;Fantasy Western 2013; Magic Southern Caribbean 2014; B2B Magic Repo 2014
hoosiercruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #231
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

Dis_Yoda --

Aaaaakkkkk! Your report of your Chef's Table experience is shocking. Dh and I have done the Chef's Table at least 10 times, perhaps more. We generally are seated at 5:30 pm or so (used to be 6 pm) and we leave around 10 pm.

4 1/2 hours feels about right. We both get the wine pairings and we've always been served different selections for each course, enabling us to share and thus try most everything on the menu before the evening is done.

Quite frankly, I'm flabbergasted by what you report. Not to mention saddened and worried. An evening at the Chef's Table is one of our favorite nights of the year.

Do you think it was an off-night or a permanent change in how they are managing the Chef's Table in light of the new Victoria Room?

And, the servers have always been the soul of discretion in my experience.

I'd be interested in what you hear back from the manager.

It would be very difficult for me to get out my credit card and pay (especially with the latest price increases) if we'd had a night like yours.

Wow. That's all I can say is wow.

Keep us posted.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #232
Twitterpated!
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTLDZ View Post

My husband and I did the Chef's Table back in 2007 to celebrate our 10th anniversary as well as my husband's new embarkation into culinary school, and although I may be in the minority, I have to agree with your assumption that the dining room would be more conducive to a romantic evening. Don't get me wrong, the Chef's Table was phenomenal, but I would not really call it romantic. For one thing, when we walked into the kitchen, the first thing that hit me was the smell. Many years ago I used to wait tables at Johnny Rockets, the 50's style burger restaurant, and let me tell you, the V&A kitchen brought me right back to the days of going into the back prep area to grab fries from the walk-in freezer and/or standing by the deep fryer waiting for fresh fries to come up. The smell of oil on an industrial grill is the exact same smell in a $50.00 plate restaurant as it is in a $5.00 plate burger joint. Also, the atmosphere of the kitchen, while very interesting to watch, was not romantic. While the chef's table alcove is very prettily decorated, the stark white of the kitchen is just that, stark. One other thing was that it took me a little while to relax, probably into my second glass of wine. This was in no way in part to the Amy, the sous chef filling in for Chef Hunnel, the cooks, or Israel, the maitre d/sommelier. They were all incredibly welcoming and very informative. I just felt funny being in their kitchen. The service was top notch, of course, but it also is in the dining room. Now that they have the new more private room, I think I would be more apt to reserving one of those tables. Just my two cents.

Me DH DD(6)
Twitterpated! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #233
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitterpated! View Post
My husband and I did the Chef's Table back in 2007 to celebrate our 10th anniversary as well as my husband's new embarkation into culinary school, and although I may be in the minority, I have to agree with your assumption that the dining room would be more conducive to a romantic evening. Don't get me wrong, the Chef's Table was phenomenal, but I would not really call it romantic. For one thing, when we walked into the kitchen, the first thing that hit me was the smell. Many years ago I used to wait tables at Johnny Rockets, the 50's style burger restaurant, and let me tell you, the V&A kitchen brought me right back to the days of going into the back prep area to grab fries from the walk-in freezer and/or standing by the deep fryer waiting for fresh fries to come up. The smell of oil on an industrial grill is the exact same smell in a $50.00 plate restaurant as it is in a $5.00 plate burger joint. Also, the atmosphere of the kitchen, while very interesting to watch, was not romantic. While the chef's table alcove is very prettily decorated, the stark white of the kitchen is just that, stark. One other thing was that it took me a little while to relax, probably into my second glass of wine. This was in no way in part to the Amy, the sous chef filling in for Chef Hunnel, the cooks, or Israel, the maitre d/sommelier. They were all incredibly welcoming and very informative. I just felt funny being in their kitchen. The service was top notch, of course, but it also is in the dining room. Now that they have the new more private room, I think I would be more apt to reserving one of those tables. Just my two cents.
I couldn't agree more.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #234
jfinke
DIS Veteran

We had dinner last night. What a phenomenal experience. I had the wine pairing while my wife just had a glass. We were both blown away. By the time we hit the entrees, my wife had started to fill up and just ate her meat and left the vegetables.

I highly recommend everyone try this at least once. Just save .50 a day for a year and you have your meal paid for.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #235
GirlfromTN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post
We had dinner last night. What a phenomenal experience. I had the wine pairing while my wife just had a glass. We were both blown away. By the time we hit the entrees, my wife had started to fill up and just ate her meat and left the vegetables.

I highly recommend everyone try this at least once. Just save .50 a day for a year and you have your meal paid for.
Did you save the menu or do you remember what the choices are? I am going there next week and I'm wondering if the choices have changed since I was last there in early December.
Glad you had a good experience!
Polynesian - March 2009
ABD Backstage Magic - June 2009
DCL Wonder 3 night Bahamas - December 2009
Tokyo Disney - March 2010
GirlfromTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #236
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

I received a phone call in reply to my email and I am satisified with the response I got from Disney management. I have not spoken with israel yet but I'm sure I will hear from him soon.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #237
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post

Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal!! I would be interested in your menu as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlfromTN View Post
Did you save the menu or do you remember what the choices are? I am going there next week and I'm wondering if the choices have changed since I was last there in early December.
Glad you had a good experience!
I was there in late Sept and I would love to see how/if the menu has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I received a phone call in reply to my email and I am satisified with the response I got from Disney management. I have not spoken with israel yet but I'm sure I will hear from him soon.
I'm glad you heard from Disney management. Please let us know when you hear from Israel!
UPCOMING TRIP REPORT: What's this? What's this? A Halloween AND Christmas TR? Oct/Nov 2014
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! Oct/Nov 2014~
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #238
KristenHoneymooner
Mouseketeer

Wow, this thread had sunk down to the 5th page! I thought it needed a bump to keep it from getting lost in the shuffle.

I'm eagerly awaiting any news from someone who has actually tried the Queen Victoria room.

Anyone out there ready to share?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #239
Mr Lee
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
Hi DisYoda,

I am sorry to hear about your experience at the Chef's Table. We visited in January and found it to be vastly inferior to our previous visit in September. Having the same course each until dessert was extremely disappointing. when we were served desserts we did not get the dessert trio which was another down point. Add to that the fact we were not given the champagne toast because we didnt order the wine pairings, they brought out white chocolate gelato when I explained I can not have chocolate and also printed the wrong thing on one course. Not to mention no sign of the breakfast bread we received on our previous visit. I think we were out in around 2 and a half hours to three hours whereas our previous visit was closer to four. I also noticed that there was a lot less chef interaction, as we were only greeted by Chef Scott perhaps two or three times during our visit, whereas Chef Amy visited our table maybe half a dozen times. We were not brought out the specialsalt selection, nor did we receive any of the special 100 year balsamic vinegar to compliment our courses. The bread courses were pretty much standard bread that could be purchased anywhere, and although nice enough were not a patch on what I had received before. And they jhave put the price up to $200 for our pleasure.

If I return to Victoria and Alberts on a future visit, I think I will prefer the main dining room, where we will be able to select what we will eat.

It looks like the Chefs Table experience may be diluted by the new Victoria Room experience coming to V&A. I hope the arrival of a similar standard restaurant at Four Seasons will be a kick up the backside it needs to stay at the top of its game.
Mr Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #240
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lee View Post
Hi DisYoda,

I am sorry to hear about your experience at the Chef's Table. We visited in January and found it to be vastly inferior to our previous visit in September. Having the same course each until dessert was extremely disappointing. when we were served desserts we did not get the dessert trio which was another down point. Add to that the fact we were not given the champagne toast because we didnt order the wine pairings, they brought out white chocolate gelato when I explained I can not have chocolate and also printed the wrong thing on one course. Not to mention no sign of the breakfast bread we received on our previous visit. I think we were out in around 2 and a half hours to three hours whereas our previous visit was closer to four. I also noticed that there was a lot less chef interaction, as we were only greeted by Chef Scott perhaps two or three times during our visit, whereas Chef Amy visited our table maybe half a dozen times. We were not brought out the specialsalt selection, nor did we receive any of the special 100 year balsamic vinegar to compliment our courses. The bread courses were pretty much standard bread that could be purchased anywhere, and although nice enough were not a patch on what I had received before. And they jhave put the price up to $200 for our pleasure.

If I return to Victoria and Alberts on a future visit, I think I will prefer the main dining room, where we will be able to select what we will eat.

It looks like the Chefs Table experience may be diluted by the new Victoria Room experience coming to V&A. I hope the arrival of a similar standard restaurant at Four Seasons will be a kick up the backside it needs to stay at the top of its game.
I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't everything you expected it to be. We didn't get the balsamic either but we did get our sea salts.

I'm thinking we aren't going to do V&A during October's trip but we may give it another try next Feb at the Chef's Table & see how it goes. I'm hoping if others have bad experiences the complaints make it to those that need to hear so it could be corrected.

I did get a phone call back from Israel but I missed it and it went to voicemail. The response to the incident was more than I could have asked for.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: