Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Aidensmommy22
Mouseketeer

Is upgrade from QS to regular dining plan worth it to you?

We will be in Disney 3 weeks from today. We have the QS dining plan. I like the idea of not having to be at a restaurant at a certain time but I have never been to Disney & only ate QS. So, now I'm wondering if We should pay $175 to upgrade to the regular dining plan. This is for a 4 night stay for 2 adults, 2 children. I do realize I may not be able to get into the highly sought after restaurants so that is also a factor. I don't know why I always second-guess myself. I'm so indecisive!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
DisneyObsessed87
Mouseketeer

For our group, the dining is a part of the WDW experience. Plus sitting down for 1 table service meal a day gives us time to slow down and relax. If you do decide upgrading is right for your family, subscribe to the cancellation thread as people may have a change of plans. Hope this helps. Have a great trip!
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
lovewdwdvc
DIS Veteran

Probably not

Unless it is important to you, I would not do the upgrade. If you like pay OOP for a favorite one or two restaurants. Enjoy your WDW experience

RESORTS: POP, ASSp, Poly, BWI, SSR, CBR, Swan, VWL, AKL, Dixie Landings, POR, PORFQ,BWV. BCV, Fort Wilderness Cabin, BCV
lovewdwdvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Remember, it's not just the $175, but the tips too.

If it's really what you want, I would first go online to see if you can get ADRs for where/when you want, and then I would consider the upgrade. You can always cancel the ADRs tomorrow if you decide against it.

You could also take that $175 (or less) and do one or two really special TS....perhaps a character breakfast and then just enjoy the freedom of no ADRs for the rest of the trip.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
deakam
DIS Veteran

For a 4 night stay I don't think I would do the regular dining plan. I might book a character breakfast or a late character dinner for the kids but with only 4 nights I don't think I would waste the time on sit downs. We normally do 7 nights with multiple days in our favorite parks so the time away for meals is not time away from the attractions. We also consider the dining an important part of Disney World but like I said not on a limited time frame.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
threelilbears
Mouseketeer

I'd do the upgrade because Disney without the TS restaurants isn't Disney to me. Getting into at least some of the good restaurants each time is a highlight of our trip.
threelilbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
disneycraz
Mouseketeer

We also like the freedom of being able to just eat when we are ready, and go with the flow. Last year however, we had the grandchildren, and because of wanting to do CRT and CM, it paid for us to upgrade. This year, were just going with the QS and booked only two dinners to our favorite places, that cost wise, would not pay for us to upgrade.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Toffeewoffy
Mouseketeer

I upgraded DD and myself for our 7-day trip this February - purely because it was the only chance we'd get to do the DDP. It did not work for us, though. I got all the ADRs I wanted, but getting to breakfasts was a nightmare because the buses from CBR just weren't timed right for us, and getting to DTD for our Raglan Road dinner was an absolute nightmare! We were over 40 minutes late and the stress alone ruined the evening.

We were actually extremely disappointed in two of our 7 TS meals and slightly disappointed with two more, and that's too many out of 7!

We're glad we did it the once, but won't be doing it again. Most of the time we were forcing food down our throats even though we just weren't hungry or worse - wasting it because we just couldn't face it, and this also meant that buffet breakfasts were a waste of money as we just couldn't get our money's worth. This also meant I only ended up using 2 snack credits as I just didn't want to snack.

Next year we're going to CBR for 14 nights with free QSDP and will pay for one TS meal OOP (DD's birthday). Other than that, we'll just go back to eating only when we're hungry. It'll be a lot less stressful all round - and a lot better on our waistlines!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
winterman
DIS Veteran

DH and I had the regular DDP 3 times (always free). At the time of our last trip together, the QSDP was offered at the values and we decided not to upgrade. We were very happy with our choice. We did have a few TS meals. Something that we really enjoyed was the 2 snacks/night, especially since we were there during F & W. Unfortunately, the following year that was decreased to 1 snack/night.

1976, 8/1990 offsite (DS and DD's first trip), 11/1995 Disney's Village Resort, 9/1997 CSR (first trip just the two of us), 9/2000 POFQ, 9/2002 offsite, 5/2004 offsite with adult kids, 9/2005 Pop, 9/2006 Pop, 5/2008 offsite, 9/2009 ASMu/POFQ, 4/2010 Pop, 10/2011 Pop (last trip for DH), 12/2012 POR (first solo trip), 7/2013 POR (with DD, DSIL, and DGS!), 11/2013 POFQ (with DS!),11/2014 POFQ (with DS!), 4/2015 POFQ (with DD, DSIL, DGS)

winterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

If you are 3 weeks out and only staying for four days, I would stick with quick service.

Maybe next time, stay a bit longer and go for table service. Book early to get the restaurants you want and the times that work for you.

We go to DW once a year and we alternate the dining plan every year. This year we are doing TS, but next year we will do QS......it helps to keep our trips different each year.
Disneylover99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you don't want all that table service there is no reason to upgrade.

I would also check and see what your possibilities are of getting into any TS restaruants that you might want 3 weeks out in a free dining period.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
dizzyinwdw
Mouseketeer

I'm dealing with the same dilemma. I have the FD QSDP (staying at Pop) for my family of 4 (2A2C) but trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it. We are staying 5 nights but the week before Christmas so the ADRs I have been able to get are not the best. I have run the comparisons on a spreadsheet and it about breaks even for us if we do 2 TS buffets (upgrade is about $212); I have two young boys who have only requested Chef mickey's and T-Rex cafe; they are not interested in Princesses and we have done TH/CP/H&V, etc already this year. If we decide to do more character meals then I may upgrade. We also have never toured near Christmas so not sure if we want to be tied to ADRs--especially since now we will have to schedule rides with FP+.

My suggestions mirror other PP: decide the ADRs you would like, see if you can get them, then run the numbers to see if it makes sense. If you only want to do 1-2 TS meals then the upgrade is probably not worth it.

Good luck deciding!
dizzyinwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Aidensmommy22
Mouseketeer

OP Here

We are only staying 4 nights because we are doing a 5 night cruise at the end of our trip. So, I know we will have plenty to eat. The only places I care about sitting down at are Ohana (which my picky son will not eat much) & Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch), which I feel like wouldn't be worth a sit down meal credit because of the lower price. We will probably just stick with the QS this time so we will have the freedom to do what we want. I'm not going to lie though. I will miss LTT pot roast & ooey gooey toffee cake!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidensmommy22 View Post
We will be in Disney 3 weeks from today. We have the QS dining plan. I like the idea of not having to be at a restaurant at a certain time but I have never been to Disney & only ate QS. So, now I'm wondering if We should pay $175 to upgrade to the regular dining plan. This is for a 4 night stay for 2 adults, 2 children. I do realize I may not be able to get into the highly sought after restaurants so that is also a factor. I don't know why I always second-guess myself. I'm so indecisive!
Our last trip was with QSDP and we really enjoyed our options at 3 of the parks.

MK - Columbia Harbor House and Pinnochios
AK - Flame Tree BBQ
EP - Tangerine Cafe and most other countries
HS - really lacking, tried Pizza Planet and ABC Commissary and they were ok.

Just like others have said, see what ADRs you can get, and check out menus and prices.

Food & Wine & No Kids ~ A 2nd Honeymoon

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
ibela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidensmommy22 View Post
We are only staying 4 nights because we are doing a 5 night cruise at the end of our trip. So, I know we will have plenty to eat. The only places I care about sitting down at are Ohana (which my picky son will not eat much) & Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch), which I feel like wouldn't be worth a sit down meal credit because of the lower price. We will probably just stick with the QS this time so we will have the freedom to do what we want. I'm not going to lie though. I will miss LTT pot roast & ooey gooey toffee cake!
Not sure if you already have the ADR but dinner at Ohana will already be $120OOP so for an extra $55 you'd have 3 more TS credits each. So what if LTT lunch costs less if that's where you want to go? I look at it as will is save me $ over paying OOP and not necessarily on maximizing. Every trip I make my list of where I want to go and compare the cost to the DDP cost - whichever is lower is the route I go.
Magic Eastern Sept 29 - Oct 6, 2007 TR:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1605878

WDW:
OKW: Aug 2014 (upcoming)
BLT/AKV Jambo: Aug 2013
BWK: Dec 2011
BC: Sep 2010
BLT/AKV Kidani: Nov 2009
SSR: May 2008
ibela is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: