Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Best Attractions for 2 year olds

Hi everyone! I'm trying to create a list of the best attractions in each park for 2 year olds as we may only be spending 2 - 3 hours in each park each day on our upcoming trip, so I'm trying to get in the best of the best! I'm hoping you can help. This is what I have planned so far:

MK - Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Small World and Toontown

EP - Nemo, Innoventions, walk around WS

AK - Dino Dig, Safari, the trails

DS - Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set

Please let me know if you think I have left anything out or if I'm wrong about the attractions listed above! I don't think my DS2 is going to sit through any shows - he wants to run and climb! I have never been to WDW with a 2 year old and I'm pretty sure Expedition Everest is not on the agenda! Thanks so much!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Are they a young 2 or closer to 3? Makes a big difference.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
adventure_woman
DIS Veteran

First, I would go to:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pla...h-little-ones/
On the right, click on Magical Beginnings park maps (PDF file).

In addition to the map, Honey I shrunk the kids playset may be too big for a 2 year old, a lot depends on how busy it is and if there are a lot of older kids there.

Also, don't forget bathing suit/swim diaper for Epcot - playing in the water fountains is my DDs favorite!

MK - Dumbo!
DS - don't forget about Playhouse Disney - it is a favorite too!

WDW
LOTS of trips before!
CP CM - Summer 1999
FT CM - May 2000-Dec 2001 (AKL, BC, Poly)
ASMo 11/03 ASMo 11/06 AS Sp/Mo 8/08 ASMo 1/9 ASMu 8/09 ASMu 8/11 ASMu 1/13

DL/DCA
CM - Dec 2000-Feb 2001 (Grand Opening of DCA)
Off-site 12/05

DCL
Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/29/11
adventure_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Erica09M
Mouseketeer

I'm interested in this too! My youngest will be just a few weeks shy of 2 years old when we go.

May 7-14, 2010 CBR ~Birthday celebration
May 11-16, 2014 ~Surprise trip!
Erica09M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
kaleighmariesmom
DIS Veteran

we went last year when DD was 2 months over 2 .. she loved:
Dumbo
Magic Carpets
its a small world
Mickey's PhilharMagic -- loved loved loved this one

kaleighmariesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Are they a young 2 or closer to 3? Makes a big difference.
He will be a young 2! He will be 2 years and 3 weeks when we go. I was concerned about philharmagic - not sure if he will keep the glasses on!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

MK The Train! also TTA or people mover or whatever the heck the name dejour is. My son liked Pirates of the Car. but depends on child, Tiki Birds. Jungle Cruise

Epcot- The Land liked the boat ride, notice a theme? liked the form of transportation as much as what he was looking at.
Also liked the jumping water fountain outside imagination.

Studio- Little Mermaid mine did but some kids didn't

AK again the train to conservation station and petting animals

And of course last but not least the Monorail!
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I forgot about the train (how can you forget about the train!!!) these are GREAT suggestions - thank you so much! I'm so used to going on adult WDW trips - I haven't been on the people mover for years!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
PrincessPeyton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure_woman View Post
Also, don't forget bathing suit/swim diaper for Epcot - playing in the water fountains is my DDs favorite!
My daughter who was 2 when we went last year LOVED the fountains. We were not prepared and had to buy clothes at the park. She also loved It's a Small World.
- Me - DH - DD6 DS3
PrincessPeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

My DD will be a couple of months shy of 2yo when we go next month and we aren't sure at all how she will react to any of the rides or characters. If our recent trip to Sesame Place is any indicator, we will be crossing a lot off our list! oh well. We do have Pooh's Playful Spot on our list as I hear the toddlers can run around and there are fountains to play with. Also, we have plans for the water parks and our resort pool since we know she loves splashing about in the water. Also, there are some tame boat rides in Epcot - Mexico, Norway that might not be to bad? Not sure. Have fun!
LilAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Sand
Mouseketeer

For DH and I the characters are THE attraction. Just seeing our DD2 scream with excitement "M I C K E Y!" while a giant mouse is walking towards her is great! Truly, the interaction with the characters have been phenominal. The pictures are priceless! I love the character meals because the characters come to you and we all know a toddler is not going to wait 45 minutes in line for squat!

I highly recommend EPCOT's KIDCOT. We are teaching our girls to say Hello in the countries language and a little about the countries. Our girls have a great time with the CM and they really appreciate us speaking their language. I usually don't let them color the things they attach to the mask. I have crayons in the hotel and let them color while DH and I are getting ready in the mornings.

Magical Beginnings is a fantastic guide. The download is great. You can also ask for the guide in the park or your Disney Hotel. When your kids can ride Goofy's Brainstormer (40" tall I think) be sure to mention to a CM it is your child's first rollercoaster ride and they will give them a little card. It is cute!

We have skipped HOURS of waiting by going to a CM and asking to do babyswap. I expect to wait my turn in a line and every time we get taken a back way in and get right on. I will take a DD, come out, let a cast member know we are doing babyswap - same one if possible - GET THERE NAME and DH is on with second DD. We still have not gone on half of the rides mentioned (they are on my list!). It just depends on how the girls are doing. Our Miss Independants want to see and do it all NOW. They get over stimulated with the music, the crowds, the lights, the shows. They are adjusting to sleeping in a hotel room, restaurants 24/7. They don't want to miss a minute, inevitably the exhausted tantrums set in. You know it is going to be in the middle of Mainstreet. We have a general plan and a hope to do list when in this part of the park but we keep our plans flexible, work around the girls routine making sure that nap gets in there!

I know that before we had kids, DH and I would be at the parks open to close, ride everything and basically go commando until we dropped. The first time we were taking our oldest DD when she was 10 months (grandparents HAD to spend her first Christmas with the first grandchild in WDW). I planned, I over packed and planned some more. Once we got there, DH and I realized we needed to go with her flow and we just are not going to do all we wanted. Disney has taken on a great new perspective for us. It has been truly magical to see WDW thru their eyes.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
Sand
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
He will be a young 2! He will be 2 years and 3 weeks when we go. I was concerned about philharmagic - not sure if he will keep the glasses on!
We went last December - DD2 (2 years and 10 months), DD14 months, DH and I went to philharmonic. We sat in the middle. DD14m sat on DH lap, inspected the glasses, kept them on most of the time especially after she figured out she liked the show better with them on. She loved it, clapped at the end and everything. I ended up in the back with screaming DD2 because she thought Donald got hurt. The 3-D thing just made it more real for her. It all depends on the child but be prepared to go to the back. I don't know if it was me but it was kind of loud. Her screaming didn't help either!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
lillykat
DIS Veteran

We took DD when she was 15 months and these were the rides she loved:
MK:
Buzz lightyear
Dumbo
IASW
Peter Pan
Pooh
Carousel
Magic Carpet
POC
Believe it or not HM (do not advise if they don't like the dark or scare easily)
Jungle Cruise

EPCOT:
Nemo
living with the land
Boat ride in Mexico
Spaceship earth

AK:
Triceratop spin
safari

HS:
She did NOT like toy story mania (mainly bc she didn't like the spinning and refused to wear the 3d glasses
Muppet Movie

DD really didn't enjoy HSs she isn't a big show person doesn't sit still for them - but she did enjoy ALL (except honey I shrunk the kids we didn't take her to that one) the 3d/4d shows at MK, HS and AK - she would watch the show just not wear the glasses.
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
lillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
mejkjj97
DIS Veteran

My daughter went at the age of 2 and then again at 3, and for the most part the rides she liked were the same.

Magic Kingdom
Dumbo
It's a small world
Winnie the Pooh
Magic Carpets
Haunted Mansion (she loved it- very surprised)
Pirates
Carousel

EPCOT
Nemo
Spaceship earth (she loved the stars toward the end)
Nemo
journey to Imagination- just the play area after the ride

Animal Kingdom
Finding Nemo show
Triceratop spin
Just looking at the animals

DHS
Little Mermaid
Muppet Movie

As for the play area in DHS (honey I shrunk kids)- as a parent I did NOT like this play area. There are more then 1 way in and out so I found it hard to follow my daughter through the area.
, Oct' 11 AKV/BW, May '11 AKV,'10 BLT, '09- SSR, '08- Dolphin, '07- Off site Sheraton Vista Villages, '06- Beach Club, '03- Disneyland Paradise Pier, '01- Hard Rock Hotel, '00- Port Orleans Riverside, 1996- Carribean Beach, 1989- off site, 1986- off site

ME (40) DH (41) : DD (8) DD (4)
mejkjj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
Mrsdennison
Mouseketeer

I think you have a good list of rides from others. We just got back and my three year old rode everything.

Our only issue was with the loud noise of some of the rides. It could just be her, I will be having the dr. check her ears soon, but lots of rides were extremely loud for her. She loved them but wanted me to cover her ears. It was not a scare factor simply noise level.

So just a thought would be possible ear plugs or muffs.

Mrsdennison
Mrsdennison is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: