Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 AM   #151
teacher2525
Mom of Huey, Dewey & Louey

enjoying

I am enjoying your report It is holding me over until I get there next week. We'll be spending a week at AKV also but weren't lucky enough to score villas at Kidani. I wanted Kidani for the 2nd bathroom, a family of 5 really needs a 2nd bathroom

1986 1st time off property, 1991 college trip off property, 1995 All star Music, 2002 Swan and Dolphin, 2003 Port Orleans, 2003 Boardwalk Villas, 2006 Saratoga Springs, 2007 Beach club Villas, 2008 Old Key West, 2009 POP, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas

Trip Report that will never be finished http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1907908
Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #152
marvali
DIS Veteran

Glenn, great TR so far! Can't wait to hear more about your DISMeet with Marv. I hear he is a really great guy!!!

How in the world did we miss you all day at DHS? We had a 12:35 ADR at 50's Prime Time and showed up early too, but when we got there they wouldn't even let me check in until closer to our ressie time. We waited about 20 minutes before I could even go back up to the counter to ask.

We love this restaurant. It is the only one my DS19 (oops, now 20 so better fix that in my siggie) insisted we return to on this trip. I had the pot roast last time we were there. Like you I had decided on that long before. I agree, it certainly didn't disappoint. This time I had the chicken. Wish I had James around to share with. I wasn't expecting a half of a chicken. And with the onion rings we also added to our order, it was way too much food. Glad I didn't have a ressie at Boma that night because I'm not sure I could have done it much justice.

Need to ask about those stickers next time. We have yet to have a waiter/waitress that issued those to any of us, and typically everyone's plate is empty when we eat here.

Can't wait to read more. Your TR is helping me remember some of the things we did while I am working on mine. I need to start posting some of it real soon I guess.

Marv

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #153
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
Never been there but it does sound like fun if you get the right servers.
The interaction wasn't too crazy, but we had a good time and enjoyed the food and ambience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1964 View Post
I've caught up now.

Ahh! You missed the best bit by not making it to Melbourne. But I'm biased.
Oh, I have no doubt! But I did really enjoy Sydney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1964 View Post
We had a blast at 50's last year. My DN didn't eat her greens either, She got a great dessert though - Greens covered in a mountain of whipped cream with a cherry on top.
That's funny! And gross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
Great update! lol at your nephew being force fed his greens!!!!

I agree about the portion sizes in most restaurants. Huge.
It was a great end to the meal....I'll remember it for a long time.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #154
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher2525 View Post
I am enjoying your report It is holding me over until I get there next week.

Thanks. I'm so glad my efforts are helping some of you out there who are in eager anticipation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher2525 View Post
We'll be spending a week at AKV also but weren't lucky enough to score villas at Kidani. I wanted Kidani for the 2nd bathroom, a family of 5 really needs a 2nd bathroom
Maybe they should install a "take a number" dispenser for the only bathroom?

Even though you'll be in Jambo House, make sure you get over to Kidani to try out the pool, slide, water guns, etc. Your kids will love it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #155
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Glenn, great TR so far! Can't wait to hear more about your DISMeet with Marv. I hear he is a really great guy!!!
Oh yeah, that will be one unbelievable installment. I don't even know where to begin.

Quote:
How in the world did we miss you all day at DHS? We had a 12:35 ADR at 50's Prime Time and showed up early too, but when we got there they wouldn't even let me check in until closer to our ressie time. We waited about 20 minutes before I could even go back up to the counter to ask.
I did see you in 50's at one point, from a distance. I didn't wanna yell, out of fear that your DW would say, "Honey, is that guy stalking us?" As for the rest of the day, I think we were one step behind all of you rope-droppers.

Quote:
We love this restaurant. It is the only one my DS19 (oops, now 20 so better fix that in my siggie) insisted we return to on this trip. I had the pot roast last time we were there. Like you I had decided on that long before. I agree, it certainly didn't disappoint. This time I had the chicken. Wish I had James around to share with. I wasn't expecting a half of a chicken. And with the onion rings we also added to our order, it was way too much food. Glad I didn't have a ressie at Boma that night because I'm not sure I could have done it much justice.
Boma is a couple of installments away but as you'll see, despite my meal at 50's Prime Time, I still managed to do all right.

Quote:
Need to ask about those stickers next time. We have yet to have a waiter/waitress that issued those to any of us, and typically everyone's plate is empty when we eat here.

Can't wait to read more. Your TR is helping me remember some of the things we did while I am working on mine. I need to start posting some of it real soon I guess.

Marv
I've looked a couple of times to see if you started one. PM me if you start one and I don't subscribe early on. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #156
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Looks like a fun day at DHS...I will always call it MGM too! We were at the MK that day!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #157
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Your report is great & your photos have made up my mind- I have been thinking of getting that Canon Rebel for a while now. Your photos are awesome! I'm looking forward to reading & seeing more.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #158
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Michael did the same thing with Jenna's APs. He left one of their APs on the Splash machine and it was at least a solid hour until we realized it. Michael ran retracing his steps and luckily a CM at the FP machine had it.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 08-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #159
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
Looks like a fun day at DHS...I will always call it MGM too! We were at the MK that day!
Yes it was a fun day, but I still have an afternoon installment to write. (But - spoiler alert - it was fun too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis View Post
Your report is great & your photos have made up my mind- I have been thinking of getting that Canon Rebel for a while now. Your photos are awesome! I'm looking forward to reading & seeing more.
Oooo, somebody new. That means you get a ---->
Thanks. It's a good camera, but as with all SLRs you'll have a good bit of learning to get up to speed with all of the various settings. I had a completely manual film SLR camera a long time ago (I may have mentioned this already, I can't remember), so the concepts weren't new to me, but all of the controls, menus, etc. of course were. So, you'll want to give yourself enough time before your trip to get familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Michael did the same thing with Jenna's APs. He left one of their APs on the Splash machine and it was at least a solid hour until we realized it. Michael ran retracing his steps and luckily a CM at the FP machine had it.
I remember reading that on your TR. That is scary. The way you feed those machines your park passes, that must happen all the time. The CMs must be used to seeing frantic people running up to them.

We had a lost item that we had to go looking for too, but it happened on the last day of the trip, so I won't give it away yet.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #160
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post

Oooo, somebody new. That means you get a ---->
Thanks. It's a good camera, but as with all SLRs you'll have a good bit of learning to get up to speed with all of the various settings. I had a completely manual film SLR camera a long time ago (I may have mentioned this already, I can't remember), so the concepts weren't new to me, but all of the controls, menus, etc. of course were. So, you'll want to give yourself enough time before your trip to get familiar with it.
Thanks!! I don't know what took me so long to get on these boards- I have been a WDW nut for 11 years now. I love new gadgets & photography, too, so that camera sounds awesome to me! You are taking some fantastic photos with it. I can't wait to see more!!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #161
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks!! I don't know what took me so long to get on these boards- I have been a WDW nut for 11 years now.
Then this is definitely the place for you!

Quote:
I love new gadgets & photography, too, so that camera sounds awesome to me! You are taking some fantastic photos with it. I can't wait to see more!!
Update coming....
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #162
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Another great report....love the picture from RnRC, I don't think he could close his eyes anymore no matter how hard he tried, love itI believe I have finally convinced my 9 year old niece to ride with me on Tuesday...we're also eating at 50's Prime Time Cafe on Tuesday and we can't wait. We had an amazing server last year...her name was Cindy, and we loved her. Your server can definitely make or break your meal.\

Can't wait for more
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #163
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Day 4 – Part 3: Stunt show, rides, and a run-in

One thing I forgot to mention in the last installment was that at lunch, before our food arrived, my kids informed DSiL: “Dad will want to take a picture of your food.” And, “He’s going to write a trip report.” This was the first that she’d ever seen this level of documentation and I know she thought I was crazy. But I couldn’t let my fellow Dis-ers down! The things I do for you!

We left 50’s Prime Time and started to walk toward Lights, Motors, Action! Out on the street I got a congratulatory greeting from a CM who noticed my “Clean Plate Club” sticker.

We walked past Star Tours in order to get a fastpass for it for after Lights, Motors, Action! Star Tours was James’ favorite ride from our trip in 2005. I also forgot to mention in the last installment that we had gotten fastpasses to RNR before we left that area of the park to come over to 50’s for lunch, so I had to wait at Star Tours a couple of minutes before I could get fastpasses there. It’s not that busy of an attraction anymore, but hey, why not?

Further along the way toward LMA!, we passed the umbrella, so Lauren and Marlene stopped for a quick picture.

Just as we entered the theater it started to drizzle. I was hoping that it wouldn’t cause them to cancel the show, but then I remembered that the last time I saw it they had people hosing down the pavement before the show, so the drizzle was actually a good thing. We found some seats and settled in. DSiL and DN had never seen this show before, so I was hoping they’d like it. I set my camera on “continuous-shooting” since this is a fast-paced show with lots of action and jumps and things. So, I could post dozens of shots, but that’d be kind of boring, so here are the highlights.

Spinning shootout.

Driving on 2 wheels.

Some shots of the big jump/explosion at the end.

The cars take a bow.

DSiL and DN did enjoy the show, and when we left the theater and it was still drizzling. We didn’t really want to stop to take our ponchos out, so we quickly made our way to Toy Story Pizza Planet for a bathroom break and to just get out of the rain for a bit. After a short stop there we went around the corner to Star Tours to use our fastpasses. While we were in the fastpass line a stormtrooper came through the line from behind us. But he was so quiet that I had no idea he was there until he went past. And because of the rain, my camera was secured in my backpack, so no photo. Nuts! When he got up beside the kids I said, “Hey Marlene.” She turned and got a little bit of a fright. Good times!

We took our wild ride on the Star Tours spaceship and then had to run the gauntlet of the dreaded gift shop. I told you earlier that James has a thing about swords and light sabers. I somehow managed to get him herded in the direction of the exit when he passed another kid and said, “Hi Shawn”. And the other kid goes, “Hi James”. The mother of the other kid was walking behind him and we both look at each other, confused. I asked James if this was someone he met at the pool of the resort or something, but he said, “No. He was in my class last year.” It figures. The youngest member of our group is the one who runs into someone they know.

From there we headed toward the center of the park when it started to rain a little harder. We paused under the awning of a vendor and got out our ponchos. They were a little heavier-duty than the cheapos, and weighed a ton. I know ‘cause I had been carrying them in my backpack every day. Judy got Marlene a child-size, and it barely covered her. Mine, although adult-size, wasn’t much better -- the sleeves stopped at my elbows. We looked ridiculous. And by the time we got them all unpacked and put on, the rain had all but stopped. We started walking over to the Animation Courtyard, but one-by-one, starting with James and Marlene, we each took off our ponchos.

I thought that maybe “The Magic of Disney Animation” might be a good rainy afternoon activity, but so did everybody else in the park as the line was a mile long. So, we skipped that, rode Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster with our fastpasses one last time and called it a day. We left the park at about 3:30, waited 2 minutes for a bus, and were back at Kidani around 4:00.

In the next installment: My favorite restaurant, Boma, and a sneak-peek at SSR.

Link to next installment

Last edited by glennbo123; 11-15-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #164
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Another great report....love the picture from RnRC, I don't think he could close his eyes anymore no matter how hard he tried, love itI believe I have finally convinced my 9 year old niece to ride with me on Tuesday...we're also eating at 50's Prime Time Cafe on Tuesday and we can't wait. We had an amazing server last year...her name was Cindy, and we loved her. Your server can definitely make or break your meal.\

Can't wait for more
I think if you can get the kids on RnRC they love it, but getting the nerve to go on is the tricky part. I hope you have a great time at 50's Prime Time.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #165
mjpeter
Mouseketeer

I'm hoping to get my two older sons on RnRC, but we'll see...

We scheduled a Boma breakfast for this next trip, so I'm excited to read your report. Are you just doing one dinner there?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: