Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
minniemomof3
Mouseketeer

Disney with a 5 year old

On our last trip to Disney, my son was still 3 so I brought a stroller with me. On this trip he is 5 and doesn't use a stroller at home anymore. However, I don't think he'll make it in the parks all day.

What's the best option for a 5 year old. I would think and umbrella stroller (good quality) would be to small. Is renting the buggies at Disney the best way to go? Any other options?
minniemomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
snickerboo
DIS Veteran

How big is he? When my ds was 5 we took an umbrella stroller. Dh decided not to take it the first day to see how he did. After that, we took it every time and were grateful for it! And soooooo much cheaper than renting something at Disney. My dd had just turned 6 the first time we went and had no problems walking the entire thing but she is, and always has been, a trooper.
Sunny California at Disneyland & San Diego, CA November 3rd-10th, 2009
Wizarding World Feb 16-23 2013
snickerboo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
tjbaggott
DIS Veteran

My youngest just turned 6 and we are taking him to WDW for Halloween. We do plan on renting a Disney one, a double one as it has more room so it can also accomadate anything bags ect. we may bring in with us. The strollers there aren't so much like strollers but more of a cart on wheels, so DS most likely won't have an issue with thinking he looks like a baby. I've rented the same kind of strollers in Marine Land when my other children were between 8 and 13 at the time. My oldest then and my youngest made use of it! When legs are tired, I don't think they care what they sit in as long as they CAN!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Absolutely get a stroller.....we had to rent one for my youngest when she was 6. We thought she would be fine but no way. I remember arriving at MK at about 9am and by 11am she wanted to leave. She was totally miserable. We took a lunch break and she was better but it was very clear that she was not having fun. We really didn't realize that it was all from being tired and hot. I really thought she didn't like MK

The next day I got a stroller, which DH thought was silly, and she was a whole new person. She had a blast.

Whether you bring one or rent one is really up to you. If it were me, I like the rentals. They are big and roomy for older kids and very comfortable to push.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Thumper_ehhhhh
Better to have been tagged and lost, than to never have been tagged at all
Looping all the way

I would say it depends on a few things. What time of year your going and your kid. Last time we went it was June and our son was 5. We brought the stroller and left it at the van the first day. We never ended up using it the whole trip 10 days inside the park. We got at the parks at opening time and left at closing. Now in June the lines are not as hot and long as July or Aug. We just planned it so we did a few shows were we could sit and relax some inside in the a/c. We also make sure we take our time eating meals that was he could relax more. As it turned out it was us that had sore body by the end of the day. The kids were still ready to go lol Kidding they went out like a light but were up first thing ready to go. Each of our kids also had there own messenger bag they carried with a water bottle, snacks and camera. We also spent good money on walking shoes for them and had them work them in months in advance. We kept asking him if he wanted the stroller and he sid no. We didnt complain we managed to move around the parks quicker without the stroller. As said here and above bring it if you can and try leaving it in the room or car for the first day and see how it goes.
2003 Sierra crewcab 4x4 burbs replacement.
2005 Kodiak 25QB HTT
DD DS DW and Myself
Proud member of
Team Focker Watch.
Fort Fiends. Long live the Musket
Thumper_ehhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
canadaman
Mouseketeer

Last summer my son was 5 when we went down. He didn't have any trouble walking all day. He was completely worn out by the end of the day though. Before you go tak e him to some place he will have to walk all day like a zoo or another amusment park and see how he does.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Yep, take the stroller! My son routinely took over his sister's and she rode in a carrier. We figured he would avoid it since it was pink and brown, but a tired kid does not really care.

If you are thinking of buying one, but are afraid an umbrella one might be too small, you might look for a used one @ a consignment shop or craigslist. It might be good to have a bit sturdier one if you are going to add bags to is during the day or carry around snacks, etc.

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
mom22belles
Welcomed Guest
Took the hwy to WDW
Had DD#2 and got a new name

I haven't tried them but I have read good things about Orlando Stroller Rentals. http://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/

The cost isn't any cheaper than Disney but you would have it 24/7 . So you can avoided those long walks your transportation.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

The only other comment or consideration I would like to add would be if you are staying at the park. If so, you may be able to get by without the stroller if your intention is to make it back to the hotel at lunch. I think we all take for granted how overwhelming WDW can be for our kids. They tire out pretty easily. You're 5 yr old will be pooped in no time so if you won't be resting at the hotel then I think a stroller is a good idea.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Our DS was 6 his last trip and he only really needed the stroller at Epcot. We rented just for the day. I think it all depends on your child'd tolerance for heat, sun and how crowded the parks are.

pooksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Hmm, I'm trying to remember...last time ds was 6, and we had an umbrella stroller for his little sister. We did rent the park stroller a couple of times, at Epcot in particular I remember. Dd will be 6 this time, and maybe I need to reclaim the stoller I gave my friend...I found one that fit her well at 3-going-on-4 (and ds on occasion now that I think of it), it was a sort of "deluxe" umbrella stroller, taller/longer/sturdier with a small mesh basket and a bit of a recline. I got it at WalMart or Zellers. It was...Cossato brand, or something like that? Dd has always been tall for her age, and this one was noticably taller than the cheap umbrella ones...also made it more comfortable to push.

Good luck!

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
peigirl
Mouseketeer

We have a cheap ($30) stroller that we take with us (not umbrella type). Bought it on sale at Walmart. DS will be 5 or 6 on our next trip and I plan on taking it with us. I am going to give it away before we head back home.

Paula
peigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
tinapops
Earning My Ears

The one upside I like about bringing a stroller is the storage at the bottom to carry stuff even if my kid doesn't sit in it!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
mom22belles
Welcomed Guest
Took the hwy to WDW
Had DD#2 and got a new name

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Hmm, I'm trying to remember...last time ds was 6, and we had an umbrella stroller for his little sister. We did rent the park stroller a couple of times, at Epcot in particular I remember. Dd will be 6 this time, and maybe I need to reclaim the stoller I gave my friend...I found one that fit her well at 3-going-on-4 (and ds on occasion now that I think of it), it was a sort of "deluxe" umbrella stroller, taller/longer/sturdier with a small mesh basket and a bit of a recline. I got it at WalMart or Zellers. It was...Cossato brand, or something like that? Dd has always been tall for her age, and this one was noticably taller than the cheap umbrella ones...also made it more comfortable to push.

Good luck!
I have the same one and we got it at Zellers.

The other consideration you have to think about with umbrella strollers is your childs weight. We bought a cheap one down in Flordia one year and my DD was to heavy for it. It made it really hard to push and the wheels got bent too.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

We went with my just-turned-6yo niece and her parents last August. She didn't need a stroller at all, and in fact, she outdid us in terms of walking just due to how excited she was. It all depends on the kid and how active they are normally. She's also the type that wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller, since "mom, they're for babies" as she would say.

Personally, anyone in the party (kid or adult) needing a rest just provides a good opportunity to find a bench and people watch for a few minutes, to grab a drink or snack, or to hit one of the longer shows, preferably one with A/C. There's lots of fun ways to rest when you need to...
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: