Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
gymbomominNC
Mouseketeer

1st Hair Cut @ WDW???

Did your DD or DS have their first hair cut @ WDW? Tell me about your experience please!

DD will be 2 and 1/2 when we go in November. She is hair challenged...very fine and thin and just now beginning to curl a little in the back. I have been debating about having her first haircut @ WDW after reading about the child getting ears and a certificate. However, DD is somewhat unpredictable and gets ill at times when I try to fix her hair. Just wondering how patient the hair stylists are. Did you like the cut/style? We are not doing BBB, just thought about doing the "Barber Shop" on Main Street @ MK.

I would love to hear your experiences! TIA!

Last edited by gymbomominNC; 07-10-2009 at 10:53 PM.
gymbomominNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
DISNEYNV
Cats don't talk

We took my DS who was 15 months at the time to the Barber Shop on Main street and they did a fantastic job! From keeping him entertained with Mickey stickers to pictures and of course the Ears and certificate By far the best experience for the money at WDW. The cast members know their stuff and while some kids do cry in the chair it's still an unforgetable memory I say go for it and you won't regret having those cute curls trimmed just a little bit

PS) if you do decide to take her, get there at rope drop. It's small and a line forms quickly... First come first served!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
gymbomominNC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYNV View Post
We took my DS who was 15 months at the time to the Barber Shop on Main street and they did a fantastic job! From keeping him entertained with Mickey stickers to pictures and of course the Ears and certificate By far the best experience for the money at WDW. The cast members know their stuff and while some kids do cry in the chair it's still an unforgetable memory I say go for it and you won't regret having those cute curls trimmed just a little bit

PS) if you do decide to take her, get there at rope drop. It's small and a line forms quickly... First come first served!
Thanks for your response. Just wondering, how many "barbers" were there?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
SLK1
DIS Veteran

We took my DD (now 7) when she was around 2. She was HORRIBLE. I'm sure people riding Space Mountain could hear her screams. The CM was very patient, and we have pictures of my DD covered in stickers, the CM practically doing a dance around her to make her happy. But, DD was a huge pill and nothing worked...they cut her hair anyway, and at least we were pleased! It's nothing different than you would get at any hair place, style-wise, but it's a great photo op, not to mention the ears, certificate, and confetti they give them.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
gymbomominNC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
We took my DD (now 7) when she was around 2. She was HORRIBLE. I'm sure people riding Space Mountain could hear her screams. The CM was very patient, and we have pictures of my DD covered in stickers, the CM practically doing a dance around her to make her happy. But, DD was a huge pill and nothing worked...they cut her hair anyway, and at least we were pleased! It's nothing different than you would get at any hair place, style-wise, but it's a great photo op, not to mention the ears, certificate, and confetti they give them.
Yeh, I'm thinking that might be the case w/ DD but it would be the same anywhere I guess. But she loves stickers, so that might be our saving grace.

BTW, what is the cost for a cut?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
DISNEYNV
Cats don't talk

There were at least two chairs, but could have been three. We waited with DS for over half hour in line. It was 14 dollars and we gave the CM a 5 dollar tip. Not bad
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
mrstomrice
Thomas and Jake's Mommy:)

We had DS 2 first haircut there too. Luckily he was fine. There have always been 2 barbers when we have gone. It is a tradition for every trip! The hours are 9-5 daily. We walked out once b/c the line was so long, but came back the next day early and had no problems. I hear they are less crowded during the parade too. The cost was $14.00.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
cmusschoot
DIS Veteran

Cannot Wait

I just heard about the first haircut stuff...never knew.

Thrilled that my DD will not have had a haircut before we go so she will have her first at Disney HOW fun!! She is 2 and barely had any hair until recently...bleach blonde and super fine!!!

Makes me thankful I waited to get a haircut for her....She does look like a rag-a-muffin though!!!!

I cannot believe you get ears...??? WHat a fun treat!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I've never had it done, but I do know, from having 5 children, that baby hair is baby hair - the only way to thicken it up is to have it cut. The new hair is much thicker. My oldest (and blondest) was bald until her first birthday, but it was emotionally painful to have my darker kids hair cut, especially my ds6, because he had beautiful curls that I knew wouldn't come back.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
TXSchoolNurse
Earning My Ears

We leave for WDW next week and this trip was basically planned so my 2 year old DD could get her first haircut there. My 12 year old DD got her 1st haircut there when she was 2 and it was so great - we wanted the younger one to have the same experience!

The video and pics of my older daughter are just priceless and the certificate and the 1st haircut ears still hang on her wall.

I am pregnant with my 3rd baby and we will probably be back when he/ she is 2 also - cannot break the tradition!
Pop Century July 2009
TXSchoolNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
nytimez
Nihilist

They are great with little kids and it's one of the best values in the parks.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
MonkersMama
Mouseketeer

We are going to get DDs first haircut there next month, it is such a mop of curls right now and she yanks the cute clippies out. Cannot wait to do this with her!

November 2007 ~ POP ~ DS 4th birthday
August 2009 ~ POFQ ~ Our 10th Anniversary
November 2011 ~ POFQ ~ Happy Graduate School Graduation for me! ~ DS 8th birthday ~ SIL birthday ~ It's turning into a PARTY!!!
November 2013 ~ POFQ ~ DS 10th birthday ~ Mickey's Jingle Jangle 5K
January 2014 ~ All Star Sports ~ My First Half Marathon
MonkersMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
2littlez'sandme
Mouseketeer

I took DS when he was 2 1/2. He squirmed and screamed but the experience was well worth it. He loved the stickers and the candy. I loved the certificate and the ears (which I didn't know about!). I didn't get any photos because I had to hold him down in the chair, DH was with other DS on the Buzz Lightyear ride, but the memory is unforgettable.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

Is there a minimum age? My DD will be 11 months on our next trip and she is growing a mullet and in serious need of a haircut.

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
gymbomominNC
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's input! We will definitely be doing her 1st haircut at WDW!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: