Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
USAswimmer626
I may love swimming, but I love Disney more!!!

Location: Massachusetts - a beautiful place to be, but way too far from the World I call home

Kona Cafe - My Truth About Series

Here is the second installment in my "The Truth About" series. I hope this review can help clear up any confusion you might have regarding Kona Cafe.

Atmosphere - My first comment would be that the restaurant is very loud, but I'll talk about this later. The decor is very nice, but definitely not overpowering in any sense. The high ceilings and Polynesian ornaments make for a nice feel.

Menu - Nice variety, so anyone should be able to come here multiple times without feeling the need to order the same thing just to be safe. Many meat and seafood dishes, but also some alternatives, so there is something for everybody.

Appetizers - Here are probably some of the stand-out starters in Disney World. The Sticky Wings are outstanding, the Pot Stickers are good, and the Lump Crab Cakes are delicious. Soups and salad are also offered.

Entrees - The only entree I've ever ordered here is the Teriyaki-Style New York Strip. It is served over mashed Yukon gold potatoes and with a side of stir-fried broccolini. I absolutely recommend it! The Shrimp and Scallops were a bit dry when they arrived at our table, but perhaps that was just our specific experience. The Pomegranate Barbecued Pork Chop also sounds enticing, as does the Tuna Oscar, but I'll stick with my steak on my upcoming trip.

Desserts - The Kiluea Torte, a chocolate lava cake, served with a side of ice cream, is very good. But there are several restaurants that do it better. The Coconut Cream Kiki Tart sounds good, but I'm probably going to stay with something I can trust being good.

Portions - The appetizer portions are fair, but the entrees are huge. I have never finished my steak or potatoes. The desserts are a very decent size too, probably big enough to share after a full meal here.

Service - It has been inconsistent here, as in many other Disney World restaurants. We have had fantastic service, and "why am I here"-style service.

Cleanliness - Nothing to complain about here. All the Disney restaurants seem to be very clean, and this is no exception.

Value - I'd say some of the food is definitely overpriced, but you're at Disney, so who cares. If you're worried about getting the best value when dropping $100 for an Out Of Pocket meal, this is probably one of the better choices. On the Disney Dining Plan, eating here is a no-brainer.

Location - This is where I am going to come back to the loudness topic. Since Kona is located on the second floor of the lobby in the Grand Ceremonial House of the Polynesian, it can be very loud. Not only do the people in Kona and the waterfall make noise, but the people waiting for O'hana can be very loud too. The Polynesian is very easy to reach by bus from any Disney part. The resort is also on the monorail for easy access from the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

That's it for this review. Hope I've helped some of you make up your minds about getting a reservation here. If I had a 10-day vacation and could eat anywhere I wanted, this would definitely make it onto my list. I highly recommend Kona Cafe.

Thanks for reading! This is the second review in my "The Truth About" series. If you wish to read more, please visit my profile and look for the links under my signature. Also, please leave any questions about Kona or comments about my review. If you would like to suggest a restaurant for a future review, please ask me. I'd be more that willing to write one up.
2002 Wilderness Lodge
2006 Port Orleans French Quarter
2007 Pop Century
2008 Pop Century
2009 Pop Century

The Truth About
A Review Series Exposing Restaurants For What They Really Are

I. Le Cellier
II. Kona Cafe

III. Columbia Harbour House
IV. Tutto Italia

Last edited by USAswimmer626; 03-01-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
WDWtraveler27
Sees a star on a mountainBe Prepared!Must embrace the pink errr magenta
Part of the WDI Cult
No touchy my jar of dirt

wow this is amazing ur good at this stuff
keep it up
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
USAswimmer626

Location: Massachusetts - a beautiful place to be, but way too far from the World I call home

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWtraveler27 View Post
wow this is amazing ur good at this stuff
keep it up
Thanks so much! It started out as just a down-to-earth review about the king of ADR's, Le Cellier, but it is evolving into something much larger. I'm hoping to gather a fan base.
2002 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Pop Century
2008 Pop Century
2009 Pop Century

The Truth About

I. Le Cellier
II. Kona Cafe

IV. Tutto Italia
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Very informative! This is one of the best reviews I have read.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
1disneynutt
Mouseketeer

I would be very interested in hearing reviews from all restaurants you have eaten at here whether they are TS, CS, or even snack carts! Thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
USAswimmer626

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2minnie1 View Post
Very informative! This is one of the best reviews I have read.
Thanks!

This one didn't take that long to write, so maybe I'll be publishing two a week.
2002 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Pop Century
2008 Pop Century
2009 Pop Century

The Truth About

I. Le Cellier
II. Kona Cafe

IV. Tutto Italia
Old 07-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
USAswimmer626

The next review is coming tonight on Columbia Harbour House.

Feel free to ask any questions about the restaurants I review on their respective threads. It's always nice to generate some healthy conversation.
2002 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Pop Century
2008 Pop Century
2009 Pop Century

The Truth About

I. Le Cellier
II. Kona Cafe

IV. Tutto Italia
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
jenmc88
Earning My Ears

Cool

I have really enjoyed your reviews. These are two of the places that we have chosen to eat at in our September trip. Since we have never eaten at either place, this has been very helpful. Can hardly wait for the next one.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #9
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

You forgot to mention my favorite start of the meal:

The bread and butter service. Aka "Kona Crack". Because whatever they put in that bread and macadamia nut butter, it's addictive.

While I agree the teriyaki steak is good, I think you need to try the pork chop. It was outstanding. My mother was kind enough to share a bite of it. That night it was cooked perfectly and very tender and flavorful.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
USAswimmer626

The bread is AMAZING! We get at least two loaves each time. It's so good!!!
2002 Wilderness Lodge
2007 Pop Century
2008 Pop Century
2009 Pop Century

The Truth About

I. Le Cellier
II. Kona Cafe

IV. Tutto Italia
Old 07-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I'm really not trying to be negative here...but perhaps the titles of your threads are a bit misleading. I'm not sure your reviews, while helpful to read, are the 'truth' about any restaurant. How can your experiences be classified as the 'truth'?
I've eaten at Kona Cafe. Used to be a regular stop for my friend and I. But, no matter how much we liked the sticky wings and the pot stickers, we found a lot of the entrees to be lacking. The last two times we ate there, our meals were not all that great. And our service the last time was a joke....we still laugh about our server. He must have felt that we loved it there so much, that we wanted to remain there all day. It took forever to get our meals, then forever to order dessert. The bill?? again, forever.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative...just giving my experience. I figure it's good to have various experiences so others can make qualified choices.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Disneyadore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I'm really not trying to be negative here...but perhaps the titles of your threads are a bit misleading. I'm not sure your reviews, while helpful to read, are the 'truth' about any restaurant. How can your experiences be classified as the 'truth'?
I've eaten at Kona Cafe. Used to be a regular stop for my friend and I. But, no matter how much we liked the sticky wings and the pot stickers, we found a lot of the entrees to be lacking. The last two times we ate there, our meals were not all that great. And our service the last time was a joke....we still laugh about our server. He must have felt that we loved it there so much, that we wanted to remain there all day. It took forever to get our meals, then forever to order dessert. The bill?? again, forever.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative...just giving my experience. I figure it's good to have various experiences so others can make qualified choices.
I agree. The "truth" is a matter of taste an personnel preferences.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for posting goofy4tink! I saw the title and was coming to say about the same thing.

It's important to remember that every dining review on the review board is the Truth about the restaurant that's being reviewed. All of our reviewers share their own truth, and all reviews are appreciated. No one review is more true or important than any other review.

That being said, thank you for sharing your opinion on Kona Cafe.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
Cazbucket
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disneynutt View Post
I would be very interested in hearing reviews from all restaurants you have eaten at here whether they are TS, CS, or even snack carts! Thanks
Me too!

Excellent reading - this is my first trip with DP, hope you have a great time on your upcoming trip and look forward to reading more when you return!

Orlando/Clearwater 1990
Portaventura 2002/2003/2005/2006
QI Int Orlando 2004 Pop Century 2007 Hilton WDW 2008

Counting the days back to POP and FD
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

was good to read your review

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread