Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #136
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Fantasmic!!!!!!!

At first i thought you might be from KC until I relooked at your signature. Did you drive or fly down?

Really enjoyed it .
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #137
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

OMG - that was OUTSTANDING!!!!!

you must have incredible patience (not to mention creativity) to have put that together.....i can't imagine the amount of editing it took..

really really really well done!!!!

all 4 of us (DH, DD, DS and I) loved watching it (several times)..

so cute and so well done..

and you have a BEAUTIFUL family!!!!!!!

thanks for sharing that with us!!!!!!!!
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #138
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

I finally got to see the whole video; after days of trying. Dial-up. That was awesome. I would love to travel with you guys look like you are having so much fun.:goodvibes

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~

Last edited by RooRach0906; 07-17-2009 at 08:22 AM.
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #139
sweetpea29488
Mouseketeer

Wow!!!! I LOVED YOUR VIDEO!!!

I can't for our 2 upcoming trips. We leave next Monday to take our 4yr. old niece for her very first trip and then the two of us go back the end of August.

I now have every intention for us (my dh and dn) to skip down Main St. USA at MK. I can't wait to see her little face
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #140
CVW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Fantasmic!!!!!!!

At first i thought you might be from KC until I relooked at your signature. Did you drive or fly down?

Really enjoyed it .
We flew. Although in a spoke city like Tulsa, you never really fly. You hop up and down from city to city until the sign says "Orlando".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRach0906 View Post
...look strike you are having so much fun.:goodvibes
That's what we were hoping it would look strike!
CVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #141
CVW
Mouseketeer

Wow. Thanks again for all the responses and links. I'll start with hands-down my favorite quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissthemouse View Post
Made it back to watch it, and just have to say, you ROCK! (and your DH is kinda hot! )
Given my obvious middle age, I assume your heat index is on a curve. If I am actually hot, I'm not exactly "egg on a frying pan" hot; I'm more like "heating pad to your sore back" hot.

Here's where I left off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVW View Post
Thanks again. This is the first time I've made a video on my own, so there was somewhat of a learning curve. I'll try to answer some of your questions and sum up some of my thoughts about camcording in the parks.

EQUIPMENT
I used a Sony Mini-DV tape camcorder for the dry stuff. I may upgrade to a hard drive camcorder. But nowadays, the internet is where video is heading, so I think your flip camera will do great. If you think you may want to show it on a large TV, though, you'll probably want a higher quality camera.

The wet and underwater video was shot on an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. (SW as in short for "swim".) It's a great underwater camera we got last year. At the time, it was the only waterproof digital compact around. There are more out now if you Google "waterproof camera".

PREPARATION
We came up with the idea to do a music video just a couple of hours before we were heading to the airport. (We were tired of videotaping stuff, and then never watching it, and were considering not bringing the camcorder.) I quickly downloaded the song and tried to get it memorized on the flight out, making mental notes about what video would go with different parts of the music.

CAUTION: If you want make a video for YouTube, BE FOREWARNED: Many songs are now being muted by YouTube because of a fallout with Warner Music Group (WMG) who wants more money from YouTube. Thankfully, my song wasn't affected, but I didn't even know there was an issue until I got back. (Google "YouTube WMG" for more info.) Make sure your song isn't owned by Warner.

DANCING WITH THE KIDS
Most of the questions were about the taping itself. I'll try to get back to that after I finish up my work day. (Gotta go. I get more icy stares being the boss than I ever got being an employee!)
Okay, continuing on.

"HOW DID YOU PICK THE SONG?"
My wife nixed "Highway to Hell".

DANCING WITH THE KIDS
The only real "work" in the parks was the lip syncing and the dancing. Everything else was just standard camcording and photos of a family allegedly having fun. We really only worked on the video for maybe fifteen minutes a day, sometimes less. The rest of the day was chasing fastpasses and taking naps while riding "The Land".

As a few of you noticed, no one ever seemed to mind that we were dancing. We looked pretty strange a few times, for instance at the Nemo sign where our girls are dancing. There was a line of parents taking pictures of their kids, each making them stand still and smile. When I put my girls up there, I yelled, "GO NUTS! GO! GO! DANCE HARDER! TEN MORE SECONDS!! FIVE MORE SECONDS!! YEAHH!!" We got a few polite looks of confusion. I flashed back a polite look of it-would-take-too-long-to-explain-this and walked on.

We had almost no organization to the dancing itself. I think it would probably look less real if we actually knew how to dance. If we saw an interesting backdrop, I'd send everyone over to dance. Within a day, the kids were telling ME where they needed to dance. Each of their suggestions was met with a swift swat to the bottom, and a stern warning to never upstage my creative genius. (A little parenting tip I picked up from Joe Jackson.)

There were a few times when the kids were a little too grumpy, and we skipped some of the ideas we had. The Flaming Family Pyramid of Doom simply wasn't to be.

LIP SYNCING
We did it all without an iPod or any other musical cue. We just started singing and hoped we got the tempo right, and it usually matched when I was editing. There's one clip where I very subtly slowed my daughter down to 90%. I wish I could do that in real life.

I DON'T DO MATCHING T-SHIRTS
Some of the biggest smiles on our little ones were induced with a promise of a giant popsicle afterward. Bribery is mandatory, especially for teenagers. As for our thirteen year-old, we knew he wouldn't be thrilled with dancing, so we tried to incorporate his personality into the project. When my wife came up with the "I Don't do Matching T Shirts", he was intrigued. When he found out he would get to choke his little brother, he was all in.

He also got to do a lot of the taping and, therefore, bossing around the younger kids. We actually filmed a scene of him holding a sign that said, "My parents are making me do this". I ended up leaving it out. He was having so much fun in the rest of the video, it didn't seem to make sense. (Staying aloof and disaffected can wear a thirteen year-old out. He's promised next time to stay in character all week long.)

I'll post again soon with a few thoughts about organizing all the video and editing it, if you're interested.

Again, thank you all for your kind comments. It helps me remind my wife that she didn't do too bad.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #142
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

This was brilliant and absolutely incredible. I have never used iMovie before, but would like to. Do you have any information on it? Do you have any photography background?

This was absolutely amazing! It actually brought tears to my eyes.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #143
CVW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
This was brilliant and absolutely incredible. I have never used iMovie before, but would like to. Do you have any information on it? Do you have any photography background?

This was absolutely amazing! It actually brought tears to my eyes.
No real photography background, other than taking tons of pictures and hoping 2-5% turn out. In fairness, I did help out with some music video projects back in medical school. But it was mostly in the writing and holding the camcorder. This is the first time I've edited. I'll try to post a little about iMovie and editing soon.

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #144
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

CVW, the more you post, the more I want to horn in on your next trip to WDW. Your descriptions of the process are hilarious! I'm a little afraid if I got you together with my husband that all h-e-double-hockey-sticks would break out, though. Keep on dancing!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #145
NWOhioAngela
DIS Veteran

I've been seeing your video tweeted and facebooked and just generally promoted on the web quite a bit. What does your family think of your new found "fame"
NWOhioAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #146
kat_balou
Mouseketeer

If that doesn't get you in the mood for WDW than nothing will.

That was a seriously awesome video.

Way to go to your wife for stalking that Mickey bar!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #147
auroralark
Lives for vacation

Your video is awesome! I wish I could make something that cool!

Many trips as a kid! Offsite, CBR, Offsite, POR, All Star Sports, Offsite 3x May/June '07 Disneymoon @ BWI *
Sep '07 @ POR * May '09 @ CR * July '09 @ POP!Disneyland! Dec '09 - Jan '10 * Universal! July '10 * Sep '10 @ CSR
Jan '11 @ Poly * Solo! Oct '11 @POR * Feb '12 @ AKL
Our Princess arrived! 7/4/12
auroralark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #148
Dan Murphy
We are family.

CVW, I echo the many, many comments here, That video has to be one of the best I have seen. It really is great. I had to call my wife to take a look at it, after I watched it three times. She loved it too. She was impressed with the stamina of om and dad. I emailed a link to my daughter, saying when she goes with her little one (hopefully with grand dad here, and grandma too), look at all the fun you guys will have. Truly a masterpiece. You have a wonderful family. Thank you for the creative work, and sharing it.

I have to post a link on the community board so those people can see this too.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #149
MonkeyPants
DIS Veteran

CVW that was awesome! You have an entire family of goofballs! I love it! I am not sure I could get a single member to do anything like that...I of course have no problem being completely relaxed and silly in public....which is usally around the time my family starts to distance themselves and make comments to strangers like....'ummm hey is he with you??' looks like you had an awesome time and definitely look like you made some incredible memories!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #150
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

I have to jump on the bandwagon and say you guys ROCK!! I love this sooo much! I hope that I remember to slow down and just dance on our next trip. Today was my Mom's first day back to work(12hrs in an ICU) since an operation in Jan, when she came hope totaly exhausted I showed her this and next thing we all had a dance party in my kitchen!! Thanks so much!!

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: