Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
larsnshan
Mouseketeer

water park or halloween party

My family and I (husband and sons 12 and 5) are going to Disney for 10 days in September. We had originally planned on attending the Halloween party,but after attending a local waterpark which my 5 year old enjoyed immensly I was thinking about a Disney waterpark instead. I was just wanting to get others opinions. We have been to Disney twice in the last 3 years, but never attended a seasonal party or a waterpark. For the record my youngest is 44 inches so I know there is a few slides he couldn't ride which does bum him out . Thanks.
larsnshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
grace&philipsmom
DIS Veteran

My preference would be the halloween party. You have a waterpark close to home you can visit, but is there a place to trick or treat with disney characters? That's how I would look at it, but you know your kids best. My 5 year old DD loves swimming and waterparks but MNSSHP is special and she is super excited about going this year!
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

Water park, hands down. We always fit them into our schedule. We love MNSSHP, but you will already be doing MK a few times if you are going for 10 days, and crowds will not be an issue in September.

Of course, you could do both on the same day if money isn't an issue.
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
2MOdisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Halloween Party!!!!

We went last year for the first time. It was FANTASTIC!

The party is nothing like MK during the day.

There are so many things to see and do.

You can always go to a water park, but you can't always Trick or Treat with Disney characters.

I can't wait to go back in Sept.
2MOdisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Caribgal
Earning My Ears

Halloween Party....it was fantastic!
Caribgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
DonaldTDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MOdisneyfans View Post
Halloween Party!!!!

We went last year for the first time. It was FANTASTIC!

The party is nothing like MK during the day.

There are so many things to see and do.

You can always go to a water park, but you can't always Trick or Treat with Disney characters.

I can't wait to go back in Sept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribgal View Post
Halloween Party....it was fantastic!
So few posts (8 & 10) yet already so wise. Yes, the party is completely different from a regular visit to MK. And the water parks will always be there, but these parties are only a few nights a year. If you're on property you will have a great pool at your resort and at least one other smaller pool.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
dspads
Mouseketeer

My kids love waterparks too. But we are skipping them and doing the party. I have never been to MNSSHP, but I have been to the Christmas one and the parade alone was worth the admission. I know my boys will be THRILLED to wear costumes and ToT in MK. If thats all we do I am sure it'll be worth it.

We have water parks close to us. The WDW ones are great but I will hold off till they are older and can do more and be more independant. Last time we went my 4yo rodfe the slide at OKW 100 times and didn't tire of it.

08/14 US/IOA (off-site)
12/12 OKW
10/09 SSR & 1st time @ MNSSHP!
12/07 OKW
12/04 - 1st trip with kids! OKW
1999 - 1st trip with DH -Boardwalk/Sports
Bunch of times prior, OKW, Sports, off-site
dspads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

I would definitely choose the Halloween party! It was great!!! The whole atmosphere was awesome, and getting to ride the rides over and over with no wait was even better!

I actually have to say I was NOT impressed with TL--no flames, please. We go to Holiday World and Splashing Safari in Santa Claus, IN (a 2-hour drive), and it is amazing! Maybe that's why I didn't really like TL. But I am giving BB a try next year. But if I had to choose between a water park and MNSSHP, I would choose the party hands down!
DisneyStarWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
suz_cute
DIS Veteran

Another vote for halloween party here! Don't get me wrong, the Disney waterparks ARE great...but I still think nothing beats having trick or treat in the magic kingdom, being allowed to dress as your favorite character IN the happiest place on earth, the cool parades, and exceptional fireworks. I think this is the perfect age for your kids to LOVE MNSSHP. You can always go to the waterparks at home, or on your next trip to disney! Have fun, no matter what you choose!!!
suz_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Simba22
DIS Veteran

The way I look at it, you could technically do the water parks on any trip to WDW. The Halloween Party can only be done at a certain time of the year. It sounds like this will probably not be your last trip since you have been a couple of times already, so I would definitely do the party instead.

PLUS, since BB is closed for refurb, TL will probably be really crowded, especially in September when it's VERY hot!
Simba22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #11
larsnshan
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for responding to my original post. Originally I was all set to buy tickets for the Halloween party, but then wondered if maybe as a whole the family would have more fun at the waterpark. My husband has never understood my desire to attend the party, because he can't understand paying extra just for a special parade, fireworks show, and a few characters. He feels we are already paying to go to the park why pay twice? I see his point, but thought the extra interaction with the characters would be worth it. Now I am second guessing that. We can't afford to do both the waterparks and Halloween party and unfortunately this will be our last trip to Disney for at least 3+ years. I just want to make the right decision. If we do the waterparks I figure we will just add the waterpark and more option and maybe see both or one park and disneyquest. The last post said BB was closed for refurbishment in Sept. I saw Sept 28th to the end of October is that still correct? If so, we will be there before then so that will not be an issue otherwise that may make my decision for me. Thank you so much for all your help and input and please keep the opinions coming!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
CSS1996
Mouseketeer

We are having a problem deciding the same exact thing, the only difference is we have been to MNSSHP before and we have also been to the water parks before. My DH thinks we should take a family vote on it, my kids are DD11 and DS8. Just wanted to say thank you for posting this, we are having the same problem. I'm so interested in seeing the opinions you get.
CSS1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
larsnshan
Mouseketeer

I am needing to make a decision in the next day or two so please keep responding
Old 07-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Iceman10
Mouseketeer

BOTH of course! It doesn't cost that much more and ya got 10 days!

But if you REALLY had to choose, Halloween Party hands down! Also, you aren't paying twice, you are paying onceand it's cheap. You do not have to use your regular park ticket and then that ticket unless you go in earlier which would be foolish. And you aren't just paying for special parades and fireworks either, you are paying for less crowds, very cool themed events, free candy for the trick or treaters and you can let your inner wild self out and dress up too!

When else can you ride the Pirates of the Caribbean dressed as a pirate?

I think that will be my new tag line.

DVC Owner - Animal Kingdom
Iceman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
lanasboys
Mouseketeer

I noticed our boys are very close to same age (mine are 13 and 6), so I am including my boys' thoughts on this too (they made the decision to do MNSSHP) if that helps. We have a very similar situation. Me, DH, DS13, DS6, MIL and SFIL will be going Sept. 11-20, and it wasn't in the budget to do both. We chose MNSSHP because we have a great water park close to home, and I don't know when we'll be back to WDW while MNSSHP is going on. And EVERYONE, even DS13, is REALLY excited about the party. The boys' opinions are that they can go to a water park anytime, but not MNSSHP. We are all looking forward to the fireworks, parades, dance parties, villians and other characters not usually in the parks, eerie lights and decorations in MK, the headless horseman, and, most especially, the trick or treating (the sweetest part is SFIL, who is really excited about this because he was never allowed to trick or treat as a child -- he's 62 now and it's so funny to see him so thrilled about trick or treating for the first time).
lanasboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: