Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Gumbatman
Earning My Ears

Newbie - question about Visa Rewards Card

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this site (wish I had known about it a while ago). My family and I are going to WDW at the end of August. Our last trip was in 2007 and then we had and still do have a Visa Rewards card.

During the 2007 trip we had just gotten the card and the only benefit we received was the special family picture with the characters in Epcot - which was very nice. Since then we've been collecting points - maybe about 500 or so - and now we are planning to use them again. The problem is I am getting conflicting information from Visa.

I am told we can only use the points for Disney items - OK, I get that. But for tickets we have to purchase them in Disney in order to use the points. For example, I found some sites where I can save about $20 - 40 a ticket per head (four of us) but I can't apply the Rewards. Even if I purchase the tickets through Disney's site, I still can't apply the Rewards.

I was told that I have to purchase them when I get into the park. Really, I don't have too much problem with that, especially when it will save me $500 total.

In the long run, I don't think I need this card because we don't get to go to Disney that often (I assume that is heresy on this site ).

My questions are: Is there any advantage of buying tickets before getting down to Disney? Are there any other advantages to using this Disney card that I am completely missing?

Thank you for your help.
Gumbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

IMO, it's a time-saver. If you are staying on-site and don't want to rush right out to a park, then I don't think it's a big deal. If you are staying off-site however, and you are going to have to wait in line at a ticket counter before being able to head into the parks, that would make me insane but that's just me

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Tomh
DIS Veteran

There are advantages to the card, and you can see all that the card offers on the Chase website. In addition to the free pictures, and the points which you can spend in Disney World on pretty much anything (we'll have over 200 this year for our trip), you can also get a discount on many of the tours, and at the World of Disney in Downtown Disney. Perhaps the biggest perk of the card though, is the ability to book the Free Dining promotion a couple of days before it is opened to the general public. We took advantage of that benefit this year to book a 13 night stay at Port Orleans Riverside with 10 days of park tickets, and free dining, a fantastic deal in my book.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Gumbatman
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the information.

As far as the free dining goes, what I found out is that although we are staying in Old Key West, it is a time-share that my in-laws have so we are not eligible for the free dining plan.

To make matters worse, we just tried to make reservations, for the end of August, and just about every place is booked.
Gumbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

About the only possible advantage to buying your tickets ahead of time is that WDW ticket prices might (and I can't stress might enough) go up before your trip at the end of August. Buying now would mean you wouldn't have to pay the possible (and I can't stress possible enough) higher rates later.

Just a suggestion: Do you live near a Disney Store? You might see if you can buy your tickets there using your Reward Dollars.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
francie57
DIS Veteran

If you want to have the tickets in hand for your trip buy them ahead. You could then use the reward card to pay for meals/tips at the parks and for purchases at any of the shops. We use our points for the tips and to pay for our round of mini-golf. We also use it for any items not covered by the DDP (beer for the kids" - 23/26).
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
katindis
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by francie57 View Post
...beer for the kids" - 23/26).
made me laugh

(DS14 gets to come too, but his Birthday is during peak, so no Bday trip for him!)
katindis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: