Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
firefox2
Mouseketeer

Halloween decorations when?

Does anyone know when DLR starts to decorate for Halloween? A friend of mine is going the second week of October, and wanted me to ask. I have never been there in October, so have no idea. Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox2 View Post
Does anyone know when DLR starts to decorate for Halloween? A friend of mine is going the second week of October, and wanted me to ask. I have never been there in October, so have no idea. Thanks
Your friend will be there for full Halloween mode and get to see it all!

The 'official' start of Halloweentime season at DLR this year is 9/25 and it lasts until 11/1. Right now it is looking like the Haunted Mansion will be closed down for the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay installation from 9/10 until around 9/24 - if it is finished before 9/24, they will likely do a "soft opening." That has to be open for the beginning of the Halloweentime season.

As for the regular decorations and things...well, the last couple of years at DLR for Halloweentime, there was Woody's Halloween Round-Up, which was an arts/crafts/cookie-decorating/photo op area where the Celebration Round-Up BBQ currently is. There is some speculation that perhaps Woody's Halloween Round-Up will not happen this year - or at least, not in the way we are familliar with - because the BBQ is in its place now and that's pretty popular. So maybe no Woody's Halloween Round-Up this time, which is too bad because they had some cool carved pumpkins there and pumpkin carving areas.

As for everything else - the giant Mickey Pumpkin at the beginning of Main Street, Candy Corn Acres in DCA, and the various carved Disney-character pumpkins scattered about here and there, as well as the Day of the Dead display over at Rancho del Zocalo and anything else they put up - I can guess that since those things are not as elaborate and all-encompassing as the Christmas decorations, it may not take them as long to get everything set up by September 25. Christmastime is a much more elaborate, immersive experience so it take weeks to get everything up and running. The giant Mickey Pumpkin and giant Candy Corn in DCA would likely go up overnight, in the wee hours of 9/25. Maybe they will put it up the day before. And they may start putting little Halloween touches up here and there in that week leading up to 9/25, but, again, it is not nearly as involved as the holiday decorations so it may not be that time consuming. The Trick or Treat Party will begin on first Friday night in October and only occur on certain nights throughout the month.

Did you see the thread from a couple of days ago where I posted pictures from Halloweentime at DLR? There are also some FANTASTIC photos that some of our other DIS-ers have taken and I posted the links to their photos too.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
firefox2
Mouseketeer

That's great, I will let her know, maybe direct her to this board as well
Not good for me though, I arrive in Anaheim for 9/10 until 9/17, so it looks like I will be missing out on the HM this round
Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

As reported by another DIS-er today, it looks now like there will also be a Space Mountain Halloween overlay and some cool Halloweentime fireworks, so your friend is hitting the jackpot!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
firefox2
Mouseketeer

Hmmm, it looks like both the haunted mansion and space mountain will both be closed during my visit in September
Those are 2 of my favorite rides, so I am devastated right now. I am surprised that they would have them both closed at the same time during the D23 expo as well

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: