Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #1096
MiJo
DIS member since 1999 and DIS DADS CLUB Member #335
 
MiJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 1,796

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
ok now...geocaching...I want to know what it is and how it works. Is this something my kids and I could do together or are they still too young?
Steve: Yep. We took our 3 1/2 yo DGD a couple weeks ago and she loved it. She thinks we're going on treasure hunts when we go. She even handled the GPSr and led us right to the cache container. It's a "game" where a geocacher hides a small "treasure" in a park, woods, etc. and posts the coordinates and other info on the geocaching Web site. Other geocachers then go out to try to find it. Once you find one, you sign a log sheet, trade trinkets (if you want to) and log your find on the Web site. We've been geocaching for about 6 or 7 years. Originally, we used it as a training aide for Search and Rescue. Now, it's a fun hobby that gets us out and back into the woods. Our dogs enjoy it, too. You can get more info at http://www.geocaching.com You do need the proper type of GPS receiver to participate. We have a Magellan Explorist 210 and it works really well. It's a great family hobby. In fact, we have our annual picnic coming up on the 27th and there will probably be over 200 geocachers there including kids and dogs! It's very popular in our area.

Dave: Our black walnuts are down, too. When those things fall, you need a lead helmet! They make it tough to mow the grass. I don't mind the fall but I hate winter. It seems like we get more ice storms than snow anymore and I really don't like driving in them. It could stay in the upper 70's all year round for me. We're hoping to get down to Cape Canaveral for a week in March just to get away from it for a while.


A true geocacher!
__________________
Mike
DIS Dads' Club Member #335 DisDads Facebook Group Member
Disneyland 1971; Off site 6/90; Dixie Landings (POR) (Alligator Bayou) 9/99; Coronado Springs (The Ranchos) and Portofino Bay (USF) 12/00; AKL, 2002; POFQ, 2003; POR, 2005 (Acadian House); POR, 2007 SeaWorld, 2007; POFQ, 2009.
MiJo is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #1097
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiJo View Post
Steve: Yep. We took our 3 1/2 yo DGD a couple weeks ago and she loved it. She thinks we're going on treasure hunts when we go. She even handled the GPSr and led us right to the cache container. It's a "game" where a geocacher hides a small "treasure" in a park, woods, etc. and posts the coordinates and other info on the geocaching Web site. Other geocachers then go out to try to find it. Once you find one, you sign a log sheet, trade trinkets (if you want to) and log your find on the Web site. We've been geocaching for about 6 or 7 years. Originally, we used it as a training aide for Search and Rescue. Now, it's a fun hobby that gets us out and back into the woods. Our dogs enjoy it, too. You can get more info at http://www.geocaching.com You do need the proper type of GPS receiver to participate. We have a Magellan Explorist 210 and it works really well. It's a great family hobby. In fact, we have our annual picnic coming up on the 27th and there will probably be over 200 geocachers there including kids and dogs! It's very popular in our area.

Dave: Our black walnuts are down, too. When those things fall, you need a lead helmet! They make it tough to mow the grass. I don't mind the fall but I hate winter. It seems like we get more ice storms than snow anymore and I really don't like driving in them. It could stay in the upper 70's all year round for me. We're hoping to get down to Cape Canaveral for a week in March just to get away from it for a while.


A true geocacher!
so thats what geocaching is. sounds great! kids today have all the fun stuff.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #1098
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

NUT UPDATE!!! came home from work this morning for lunch and there are more nuts in the grass!!! i looked up and there are still a billion of them on there yet!guess ill be racking nuts all weekend!
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #1099
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

and before i have to head to the poconos because someone in the warehouse cant read, my vacation ticker is down to 17DAYS 13HOURS 20MIN.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #1100
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?
 
GoHerd1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 3,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
and before i have to head to the poconos because someone in the warehouse cant read, my vacation ticker is down to 17DAYS 13HOURS 20MIN.
Dave I'm sorry you still have so long to wait!
__________________
We Are.....Marshall!!!:
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #1101
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?
 
GoHerd1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 3,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
NUT UPDATE!!! came home from work this morning for lunch and there are more nuts in the grass!!! i looked up and there are still a billion of them on there yet!guess ill be racking nuts all weekend!
Do you have a psychiatric hospital nearby that all of these nuts could be escaping from?I think this could be seen as trespassing if they are all over your grass like that and hanging from your trees!
__________________
We Are.....Marshall!!!:
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #1102
Jellyman
Dis Dad's Club Member #359
 
Jellyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 64

Come to Atlanta. In Georgia we hardly have any nuts.
__________________
1972-1983 @ 20 trips stayed at Grandparents;6/2003 Fort Wilderness Campground; 11/2004 Coronado Springs Ranchos; 11/2005 Saratoga Springs & ASMu; 9/2006 Port Orleans Riverside; 4/2007 Port Orleans French Quarter; 11/2007 Caribbean Beach; 11/2008 All-Star Sports; 11/2009 Port Orleans French Quarter;11/2011 Pop Century
Me 45: DW 42: DS 18: DD 17:
Jellyman is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #1103
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
Do you have a psychiatric hospital nearby that all of these nuts could be escaping from?I think this could be seen as trespassing if they are all over your grass like that and hanging from your trees!
oh ya, allentown state.it cant from there, these are little nuts.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #1104
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyman View Post
Come to Atlanta. In Georgia we hardly have any nuts.
your nuts are the size of peaches! i had an aunt that lived in lathonia ga.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #1105
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?
 
GoHerd1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 3,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
oh ya, allentown state.it cant from there, these are little nuts.
so you are saying that their nuts are bigger than your?
__________________
We Are.....Marshall!!!:
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #1106
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
Dave I'm sorry you still have so long to wait!
i was just there in may, you would think its been years. now, dw is talking december 2010!! that would 14 months. than dd dances in june of 2011 and than we have to spend some points, either in oct or dec of 2011.better get the vacation fund built up!!!i forgot, looks like dd will be dancing in myrt.beach in june of 2010,all that golfing, how will i do it.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #1107
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
so you are saying that their nuts are bigger than your?
ever been to allentown????
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #1108
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?
 
GoHerd1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 3,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
i was just there in may, you would think its been years. now, dw is talking december 2010!! that would 14 months. than dd dances in june of 2011 and than we have to spend some points, either in oct or dec of 2011.better get the vacation fund built up!!!i forgot, looks like dd will be dancing in myrt.beach in june of 2010,all that golfing, how will i do it.
WE may end up in Myrtle in June next year also..wife has put foot down and wont let me take son out of kindergarten next year for the fall trip!!!! so now we have to go in August before school starts!!!
__________________
We Are.....Marshall!!!:
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #1109
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
WE may end up in Myrtle in June next year also..wife has put foot down and wont let me take son out of kindergarten next year for the fall trip!!!! so now we have to go in August before school starts!!!
ive been there in august, just a tad warmer. over the years, we have been lucky, dd gets her home work before we go and ends up ahead of the class when we get back. we have block sch. in our hs. she only has trig. and english this sem. the rest is yearbook,studyhall and gym. she lucked out this year! if you ever want to start a war on the "women" threads, ask there op. about taking kids out of school! hairpullin,name callin,wow!! than again, if you read some of them threads, they can fight over anything!!every year dd dance recital, i play usher.there are 1100 seats, you could put 1100 men in there and no problem, put 4 women in there and the claws come out.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #1110
MiJo
DIS member since 1999 and DIS DADS CLUB Member #335
 
MiJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 1,796

Well, our trip ticker is still here but, due to unexpected circumstances, it looks like we may be cancelling our trip. We weren't planning another trip for a few years, until our DGS is old enough to enjoy it. This is quite a bummer but we have to do what we have to do. If we do have to cancel, I may be too depressed to check back for a while. Just in case I'm not around for a while, I wish all those heading down a safe and fun filled trip!
__________________
Mike
DIS Dads' Club Member #335 DisDads Facebook Group Member
Disneyland 1971; Off site 6/90; Dixie Landings (POR) (Alligator Bayou) 9/99; Coronado Springs (The Ranchos) and Portofino Bay (USF) 12/00; AKL, 2002; POFQ, 2003; POR, 2005 (Acadian House); POR, 2007 SeaWorld, 2007; POFQ, 2009.
MiJo is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alphabet Game Disney World/Land Shops, Resorts, & Restaraunts.. II ryley26 Theme Parks Community 3798 08-21-2010 03:40 PM
Running The Half, Dis Meets, Deluxe Dining,& SSR! BACK. Had a great time! Lynn5700 Pre-Trip Reports and Plans 1184 06-20-2010 11:23 PM
The 2009 Yacht & Beach Club FAQ Thread tete01830 Disney Resorts 3408 04-13-2010 06:17 AM
A Dis meet, loopy luau, and 1900 PF fight all on our June trip~plus more!'10 PTR link tinkgurl Completed Trip Reports 926 10-25-2009 12:10 PM
Blue's Road Trip - Part II ~ New 5/6: It Pays To Have Connections!! blue_river Completed Trip Reports 890 07-27-2009 06:13 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: