Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Morgey24
Dreaming of a day on Castaway Cay

Wowza~~~ $20K and my DD wouldn't be going to college in a few years...

We did the June 13th Western..

$1538 2 Cat 12's at $699 (bumped to an 11 then a 9)
$10 Ride to port (we live in Orlando and neighbor took me over in my car)
$160 Tips
$79 On board charges after a $75 Onboard Credit
(75) On board Credit
$5 Beverages in Key West; had fee tour tix for Butterfly Museum
$120 Privately booked excursion in Grand Cayman (our "big day")
$40 Souvenirs in Grand Cayman (2 sterling stingray necklaces)
$10 Couple of Coronas (for me) and ceramic boxes from a roadside stand in Cozumel and just walked around
$10 Mat & sharpies for DCL autographed signatures/souvenir
$10 Photo processing of digitals including several 5x7s for mat
$0 Onboard drinks because I brought my own wine/waters (and I would have had them at home or on a ship)
$40 Some new clothes for DD
$0 A gown for me (given to me by a friend and I hemmed myself)
$0 Pet sitting (am exchanging services with a neighbor for his trip)

so it came to just under $2K for 2 of us for the week. That's my budget for a week's vacation. I can do other cruise lines for $100 pp/day or $1400 for the week (living in FL we can get $399 pp for the week deals).

I guess while I LOVE cruising, I am the kind of person who would rather do 2-3 cruises per year and forgo the fruity drinks and souvenirs and do one great excursion per trip than one blowout cruise per year. I am also fortunate to be in FL so have no air or day before expenses.
Morgey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Here's my budget

Cruise Western in Aug.

Cat 11 gty.( booked on board)$3350 + RECEIVED $200 obc (2 adults, 11 and 8 yr)
$75 OBC for transferring res to TA

$400 tulum excursion

Parking at port $250
Tips $500
Drinks $30 a day =$200

Driving to Fl from MI- 3 hotel nights at $100 each =$300

Food on the road $300
$500 in spending money in port and on ship

Total $5400 - OBC= $5125 I am sure we will not even spend that much on the ship.

I forgot to add gas. Add another $500

As for clothes, we are making due with what we have. For previos cruises, we have bought new things and they never get worn. The kids will each get a new swim suit.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
cg012
Earning My Ears

I'm pretty new to this board, but if you get a limo, I would suggest asking the driver to make a complimentary "stop" on your trip. I suggest stopping for beer/wine/liquor and carrying them onboard. That is always a big money saver for us since I like to have a glass or two of wine before dinner

Last edited by cg012; 07-09-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: originally suggested getting a verandah and inside room, but re-read op and saw that you are already doing that!
cg012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Michele325
Mouseketeer

Not really money related, but this made me think about something that is priceless to us on a (specifically Disney) cruise. Sitdown (yummy) meals. We hardly ever go out with the kids, they are so hard in a resturant! But not on the cruise. Lots to look at and lots of kids, so their loudness doesn't stand out! lol. And if they are board, we can drop them off at the club after appetizers and get them more food later.

Overall we are really frugal on vacation. DVC place were we make breakfast every morning and usually even pack lunch and snacks. So cruising is a splurge for us.
Michele325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

you could also try moving another child to your mother's room (on paper) and then see if a cat. 12 pops up for you, your hubbie, and the 3rd child. sometimes it is easier to get them for 3 than for 4. if they are still offering it at $699 pp as a previous poster mentioned, that would save you a good bit of $$. We did this for our sept cruise and saved a little over $1000!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC

disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
WDBRDWLK
Nana to Princesses Maya and Orion and Prince Joel.

If you love to travel and really love all things Disney I would highly recommend looking into taking that $20k and buying DVC points with some of it. You could do Disney and the cruise for the next 50 years! We bought into DVC 10 yrs ago and have used our points for all but one Disney cruise and many, many trips to WDW and DL. When you don't have the expense of the cabin or the rooms at WDW your $$ goes along way. You do have to pay yearly real estate taxes and fees, which is pretty low all considering. We have kept a spreadsheet over the years of what all our trips would have cost ($70k) out of pocket and there is no way we would have done it with cash. Now we dont have to even worry about how much a resort or cruise will cost us in cash, we just call up DVC and use our points and let the magic begin!

We spend about $400 on each 3 night cruise which includes excursions for 2 adults (we dont drink so that is not an expense) and if you are lucky enough to win a stateroom credit for attending the DVC meeting onboard then that helps too! I won $300 in Feb. so at the end of the cruise we paid about $100 for everything.

If you take a vacation at least once a year and spend $5000 then that is really wasted money...DVC has been the best vacation option for us!

We just booked our trip to Disneyland yesterday, and we are staying in the new DVC resort which would cost out of pocket $2800 for the week. We are using our DVC points so the resort is not costing us a dime...and our DVC properties are all paid for.

We have had several people ask how we did it and basically we said if we do not eat out at least once a month we can take that $$ and put towards the DVC financing...we added to that and had it paid off in just over three years...now we have 47 years to enjoy it without a mortgage payment.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
Here's my budget

Cruise Western in Aug.

Parking at port $250
Tips $500
Drinks $30 a day =$200

Driving to Fl from MI- 3 hotel nights at $100 each =$300

Food on the road $300

I forgot to add gas. Add another $500
I'm going to guess that you can't get airfare from Michigan for $300 each ($300 food + $500 gas + $300 hotels).

However, I do have one suggestion if you are budget minded. Stay at one of the hotels (Radisson, Quality Suites, Country Inn and Suites, Residence Inn) that offers free cruise parking if you stay with them the night before your cruise. We stayed at the Quality Suites. For $107, we got a night at the hotel, breakfast in the morning (nothing to write home about, but it was included), parking while we cruised, and shuttle to/from the port. The port parking for the week would have been $105. Obviously we had to stay somewhere, so it made sense to choose one of the free parking places.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
tamman
Mouseketeer

We are from Michigan and we are going on a Western cruise on Aug 22nd. Our airfare for four was $660 total and that includes $160 in baggages fees ($20 X 4 bags each way). That is on Spirit. I booked in December 08.
tamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Location: Stockton,Ca- the second most miserable city in the US!

Thanks for all these great ideas- you have my head spinning LOL!
Here is my breakdown:

Daycare employees - $2000
Airfare at Southwest rt from Ca- $1700
Cruise $8,000
Hotel- $1500
Rental Car- $600
Tix for Disney World and Universal- $2000
Food- $1500
Mics (tips, tax, pics, souv) -$1,000
Clothes $2,000
Equals- $20,300- LOL i went over my budget- and I have to get my hair colored hehehe!

I am thinking of telling my mom lets forget the week of Disneyworld and Universal- which would lower our costs all across the board. My original idea was to do the Sea/Land cruise- getting a little bit of everything in- but Mom wants the 7 day to Mexico- she wants to get swine flu! j/k
We live in Ca- and have been to Disneyland alot! In fact, DH and I just went 2 weeks ago to celebrate our 5 year ann. It was only 3 days- which wasnt long enough which is the reason I thought of a cruise hehe.
We work 24/7 seriously with Daycare with hardly ever a day off - we usually do a family trip at least once a year for a weekend- and once every 2 years for a week.
We really wanted to go to Islands of Adventure- we are huge comic fans as well. But- we wanted to go when Harry Potter was done too!
Which wont be till next year.
And I have to have new clothes- and shoes! I could easily spend $1000 on myself. All my clothes have bleach stains from cleaning with daycare
the others just need a few things- and rentals for tux, etc.
Now I am rambling.
I should look into DVC, airline points, and OBC- how do you get OBC?
Soo much to think of! ~Tinksdreamwishes!

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
tinksdreamwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Ok I played around some more with the cruise stuff- and your right I would save $395 by putting another person in with my mom- giving us the cat 12 option! And here I thought they was all sold out!
I also took off the ground trans- and so the new total would be $6528 instead of $7268.
I wonder how much it would cost to stay in a very dark cave for a week! ~Tinksdreamwishes!

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
Old 07-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
hgon76
DIS Veteran

$2,000 for clothes? I think we shop at different places! My opinion....save the $$$ you would spend on a tux. I had my husband where a jacket and tie and he was one of the "more dressed-up" men at dinner. In fact, he's gonna do away with the jacket next cruise because he doesn't like to where them & so many men weren't even wearing a tie. Lots of them just a nice pair of khakis and dress shirt for formal night. Keep reading these boards. You'll find a lot of helpful tips on saving some $$$$. If no one else has mentioned it yet.... BYOB! It saves a lot even if you don't drink much . Doing laundry on the ship is really a great thing. It helps cut down on the amount of luggage! With the fees airlines are charging now for checked bags it's a helpful tip!

hgon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
disneycrazzzy
DIS Veteran

Our budget for the August 8th Western for six of us including two nights pre-cruise and a visit to Disney Quest as well as two days and one night at Universal post-cruise:

Airfare SEA-MCO: $1500
Pre-cruise van rental: $172
Pre-cruise hotel: $220 (2 rooms at Hyatt)
Pre-cruise hotel: $122 (2 rooms Hilton, 1 on points)
Disney Quest: $234
Pre-cruise food: $400
Cruise: $8012 (2 category 4 cabins)
Tips: $504 (7 x 12 x 6)
Excursions: $1675 (all DCL, in each port)
Souveniers/Extra Food/Extra Drinks/Palo/Shutters: $600 <-- this will be hard
Post-cruise van rental: $140
Universal Hotel: $500 (2 rooms)
Universal Tickets: $600
Post-cruise food: $400
----
Total $15,079

If we include our second cruise add:

Cruise: $7936 (2 GTY 7 cabins)
Tips: $504
Souveniers, etc. $0 (hope to not spend more than the $600 we allotted)
Excursions: $1170
----
$9,610

It is really hard to acknowledge the cost of this vacation in this post....but this is what it is. Luckily I've squirrelled away the funds since our last cruise in 2006. I can't imagine if we hadn't gotten the AAA prices on our cabins...

This does not include any of the following which we may or may not incur:

Trip insurance
Gas for rental cars
Alcohol
Bingo
Laundry
Spa
Room Service Tips
Excursion Tips
Extra Tips
Other Tips to porters, bellperson, etc.
Fish Exchange Gifts

Back To Back Cruises on the Magic August 8, 2009 Western and August 15, 2009 Eastern with Tortola
disneycrazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
martinezfamily1126
Mouseketeer

6 people, 7 day western- Cruise, Airfare, hotel, trans, tips = $5420

we are in 2 cat 12's
Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
disneycrazzzy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezfamily1126 View Post
6 people, 7 day western- Cruise, Airfare, hotel, trans, tips = $5420

we are in 2 cat 12's
Wow that makes me feel even more foolish...so I thought I should break things down and see why we are paying so much:

If I just include the same airfare, hotel, trans, tips

$1500 airfare
$150 before/after transportation
$200 hotel before (1 night)
$8012 cruise
$504 tips
----
$10,366

So the only thing I could reduce from here would be the cruise itself.
My original reservation for two category 12s was $7292 (I thought I did great upgrading to two 4s for only $720). So I think the factor here that must be considered is the time of year of the cruise. I never saw the 8/8/2009 cruise discounted so low. For us to have paid the same as the martinezfamily1126 we would have had to pay only $5240 less airfare, trans, hotel, tip or $3066 or $1533 per cabin. I've never seen any fares that low...

disneycrazzzzy

Back To Back Cruises on the Magic August 8, 2009 Western and August 15, 2009 Eastern with Tortola
disneycrazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #30
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

wow Martinez family! Sounds like you guys got a great deal! when is your cruise? I guess the month depends on prices tremendously!

The $700 upgrade does sound like a good deal for 2 cabins!

I guess Dh wont be needing that Tux after all! He will be happy.

I saw a site that said I could ship a box to my room on board if it did not exceed 20 pounds. Maybe I could send the formal wear in that box? I hate lugging around extra luggage!

Thank you everyone- its been real interesting reading this thread!
~Tinksdreeamwishes!

~ Peter Pan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: