Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

Trip insurance

Do you get trip insurance? If so why and if NOT why?
I got trip insurance on past cruises but never had to use it...(knock on wood)
Have you ever had to use trip insurance if so for what and were you happy you got it?
LimoFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
B9erSteve
Disney Dad

I get it. Reason? Easy: I'm spending a lot of money and if something comes up last minute, I don't want to loose all that money. Now I've heard that it can be obtained pretty cheaply from a variety of sources. So next time I'll probably shop around some.

Previous Disney Holidays:
Disneyland (Too Numerous to count), Disneyland Hotel 2002, 2003, 2005, DisneyWorld CSR 5/06 and PO:R 2/09, 10/09 Disney Western Cruise Oct 2007 Eastern Oct 2009
B9erSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
outahere

We always buy trip insurance whenever we cruise. The cruise fare is a considerable amount of money that I really don't want to lose if something happens. Another reason is the medical evacuation coverage. If someone in your traveling party needs to be airlifted to a major hospital, the cost is extremely high (think $50K or so). Granted the U.S. Coast Guard will evacuate you if they can, but they may not always be available and there is no guarantee they will do it.

Also, we filed a "Trip Interruption" claim for the DCL cruise we were on this past April because DS came down with the dreaded noro virus and was isolated in our cabin for 48 hours. The insurance company reimbursed us for two days of his cruise fare and two days of one adult fare. Since we were in a suite, that was a considerable amount. Well above the $280 we paid for the insurance.

Insurance can be a hot topic around here, but personally I like the peace of mind from having it.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
strega7
Mouseketeer

Got it, used it, and thankful I had it. We booked our trip thru costco so I also purchased the insurance thru Costco...it was thru a company called Berkely Group. Never thought I would have to use it, but we were a traveling party of six, my immediate family, my mom and dad, and my sister. Five weeks before we set sail my sister had a terrible bicycle accident and spent the next 10 weeks in the hospital. I had to cancel our whole vacation. Berkely group was very quick and was reimbursed for the cruise within two weeks. Since we had insurance we were able to use that money to rebook for this fall now that my sister is doing better.

This next trip, I booked thru ***************** so that I could include hotel fees, airlines, etc.
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I buy travel insurance for the medical coverage. My Anthem BC/BS policy specifically excludes care outside of the US, so if I didn't buy travel insurance I wouldn't have any medical coverage. One trip to the ship's doc is the cost of our insurance for 2 1/2 - 3 cruises.

I typically sail in the fall (hurricane season), and the winter (snow season). I was on one cruise where Hurricane Jeanne turned our 7 day cruise into a 4 1/2 day cruise. Yes, DCL gave us a fair refund, but travel insurance would have covered my extra hotel days, etc. I was already at WDW, and we couldn't board the ship, so I needed 2 extra hotel nights. Those 2 nights cost as much as the previous week as it was an "emergency" booking and they sure weren't giving any deals! Yeah, that was before I bought insurance. I also had a fun time with lost luggage on another trip. The problem was at MCO, not DCL, but that didn't get my clothing to me any sooner!

Most plans have "kids free with parent" deals. I'm not really concerned about having coverage for every penny I've spent, so if my expenses for the trip were a little over $1000 per person for the cruise and air, I'll typically insure at $1000. That gives me the medical coverage, lost luggage, etc....but I would be out a little if the entire vacation was canceled. I could choose to cover at $1500 for a higher premium, but I commonly decide that $1000 is enough. I also try to have the "insurance" of going to Florida a day early.

Would I buy insurance IF my medical insurance covered me? I honestly don't know....but I've seen lots of accidents on the ship and in port...seen people evacuated, etc. To me, if I'm spending $2000+ for a vacation, another $50-70 is worth it.

The other way to think about it....I spend thousands each year to insure my house, car, etc. Yes, that was all "money down the drain" until the day that my house was hit by lightning and caught on fire. Then I was glad that most of the $50K in repairs were covered by the insurance. That made up for about 20 years of premiums. Yes, I could have gone my whole life and never used that coverage, but.....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I always buy it for cruises. In 2005 I was supposed to cruise with my sister. The week before we sailed, she cancelled because her husband had bypass surgery, and I sent on the cruise solo. We were already in the 100% penalty period, so my cruise didn't cost me any more, and my sister filed an insurance claim for reimbursement.

I invited my sister on another cruise in April 2009. Three weeks before the cruise, her husband broke his leg and had surgery, so she cancelled and I went solo - again! (I'm not inviting her on any more cruises!) This time we were outside the 100% penalty period, so my sister didn't lose any money, but I was charged a single supplement. I filed a claim for the single supplement, and my sister filed a claim for airfare. Those were both relatively small claims (because I am a frugal cruiser), but it was worth the $69 insurance premium for me to get back $740.

Most recently I bought trip insurance from the Trip Insurance Store (www.tripinsurancestore.com) - due to fewer policies to wade through and the very helpful info on the web site.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: