DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

HELP. Need a math geek! NEWBIE that can't seem to "get it"

Okay. I'm an artist. The right side of my brain is MASSIVE and has overtaken the left's hemisphere not allowing for math comprehension. Well, almost. I've been thinking about DVC for so many years. Too many, we'd probably be enjoying it now if we had just done it when I thought about it. But both DH and I simply can't wrap our brains around it.


I saw YourEveryDayAdam's post. I'm still lost. But bless him for being so diligent!
We both LOVE deluxe accomodations. If we don't stay in one exclusively for a whole stay, we split it w/ a mod. Never do values. Also, because we spend that much, we can't go every year and flying down is between $800 and a grand RT for us. Driving isn't an option unless we want to spend 3-4 days on the road. (do people do that? honestly, I wonder if it IS doable)
Anyway, there is not a way to be able to buy w/o financing for us so that's one issue. We are not well-to-do by any stretch. Hubby has a blue collar job at 3M and I'm a SAHM but do my art on the side to make ends meet. Another is I'm not sure even if we had a DVC place, we'd be able to go every year. We'd LOVE to and perhaps wouldn't have to stay for 2 weeks when we do because we could go more often. But I dunno. When we vacation, we like to do it "our way" and not pinching pennies which is why we do it only every few years.
Is buying into DVC only a good idea if you can make it there annually? Every 2 years?

Does anyone know if they do a speil for it on DCL? I'll be there this fall and while DH is out w/ our oldest, and I'm w/ the baby, I could listen to it.

I've gotten the DVC DVD but still, w/o actual number and numbers associated w/ different loactions, it's all Greek to me. And if it helps... we loved the AKL so doing a figure based on that would be so helpful.

I TOTALLY understand this is a highly loaded post and will require someone that has a bit of free time and a lot of patience for repetition to answer, , but I really, REALLY would appreciate it if someone could be so kind. I've been reading the board often and just can't seem to wrap my head around some things. I understand each palce ahs points assigned to it's value and are different at certain times of the year. But I don't understand "add-ons" borrowing/renting points, coupons. None of that. I'm almost 40 and feeling that my DVC life has probably already passed me by. : ( Our kids are still young and DH and I will always love going even when they are out of the house... but if its just silly to buy in for us.... is it? I know the term "silly" is relative but I'm looking for opinions so go for it.

I'm so confused. I promise, I've tried to understand for years. I'm not just posting the second I think of something w/o trying to research. It's just not sinking in.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
rowbear
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 325

You are actually in a perfect position to buy DVC because you can buy less and still have a great vacation. In any year you can bank all of your points so that they will be safe and available the next year. So if you buy 130 points you can have a 260 point vacation every other year. If you buy resale you might be able to get even less points but still have an excellent time.

The main advantage is the accomodations. Personally I have a hard time living out of a hotel room for more than 5 days but with a condo you can stay for as long as you can afford because it really is like having a second home.

Right now they are running tons of Disney vacation deals and even though I have not done the math I am sure at this moment it will seem like it will take much longer for the DVC to pay for itself. But keep in mind that is still based on a hotel room not a condo. Also keep in mind that the deals that are running now may eventually evaporate.

I like it because it provides me a vacation on my terms. If I want to have a lazy morning and not leave the room until 10am it is no problem because I have everything I need. I hate the idea of eating 3 meals a day at a restaurant. No. I despise it. It may sound silly but I love going back to the room in the middle of the day and fixing myself a sammich. If I have more than one heavy meal in a day it makes me feel bad.
rowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowbear View Post
You are actually in a perfect position to buy DVC because you can buy less and still have a great vacation. In any year you can bank all of your points so that they will be safe and available the next year. So if you buy 130 points you can have a 260 point vacation every other year. If you buy resale you might be able to get even less points but still have an excellent time.

The main advantage is the accomodations. Personally I have a hard time living out of a hotel room for more than 5 days but with a condo you can stay for as long as you can afford because it really is like having a second home.

Right now they are running tons of Disney vacation deals and even though I have not done the math I am sure at this moment it will seem like it will take much longer for the DVC to pay for itself. But keep in mind that is still based on a hotel room not a condo. Also keep in mind that the deals that are running now may eventually evaporate.

I like it because it provides me a vacation on my terms. If I want to have a lazy morning and not leave the room until 10am it is no problem because I have everything I need. I hate the idea of eating 3 meals a day at a restaurant. No. I despise it. It may sound silly but I love going back to the room in the middle of the day and fixing myself a sammich. If I have more than one heavy meal in a day it makes me feel bad.
THANKS!!!! I think I'm going to do some covert investigating (with fellow DISers help ) before I pass anything to DH. He's a great man but the whole idea scares him because he doesn't understand either, so I need to be prepared before I try my OWN spiel on him

And SORRY GUYS! I posted in the wrong forum, I sent a PM to a mod to move it to the right one. See? Told ja I wasn't all there.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran
 
Tink-n-Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,288

DVC lets you stay Deluxe for moderate prices.

Since you are an artist and love to stay in Deluxes, I wouldn't worry about whether its a good deal or not, as some things don't have a price tag. You sound like you are more concerned about the visual and atmosphere vs how much its cost. How does staying in a deluxe vs a moderate make you feel? Do you like both equally, or do you like staying at the deluxes more, due to the balconies, closeness to the parks, choice of restaurants etc.

For example, if you were going to the east coast for a vacation and absolutely loved the beach and wanted to stay at a beach side resort, would it matter what it cost (within reason) vs. getting a hotel inland. The whole BEACH/OCEAN atmosphere would be non-existant (sp?)with a hotel inland. Why pay the money to stay there vs an ocean view resort. Yes, you could enjoy the beach during the day, but wouldn't it be nicer to not have to drive to go to and from the beach but just to walk out your door and be there? Is the inland resort really a bargain?

That is what you need to decide.

I bought into the BW (while they were selling SSR at a $15 discount) just so I could be within walking distance to Epcot and DHS. I find being at the BW is so worth it because I find being right there in the middle of the action or within a 5 -15 minute walk is priceless. However, I also get to stay in a 1 bedroom, with a full kitchen (saves money on breakfast & lunch), w/d and a king size bed!!!! YEAH!!!! To me, that is priceless.

To solve the "every year" problem, just buy enough points to stay in a 1 bedroom every other year. We started with just 150 points, paid that off, then bought 30 more, paid that off and held off because the BLT was "hopefully coming" and when they turned out to be true we bought 160 more points. If you need 300 points to stay for a week, just buy 150 and borrow and bank your points.

Once DVC is paid for, it really doesn't matter what it actually cost you to purchase as the accomodations are just fantastic. You see I'm a very frugal person and know where I spend every penny, so I would not be staying deluxe much unless I got a great deal. But with DVC it is affordable every year (once the intial purchase is paid off) and the experience of staying in a 1 bedroom (when we used to do values)and being so close to the parks is just priceless to us and adds so much magic to our vacations.

Dvc has held its value so if you do decide to buy and absolutely hate it, you can always sell.

Just determine what is important to you in a resort and see if DVC can offer it and don't worry about whether its a good deal. GOOD LUCK!
__________________



BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowbear View Post
I hate the idea of eating 3 meals a day at a restaurant. No. I despise it. It may sound silly but I love going back to the room in the middle of the day and fixing myself a sammich. If I have more than one heavy meal in a day it makes me feel bad.
OH yeah and this part:
Our last trip we stayed for almost 2 weeks. By day 11, I had had ENOUGH of eating out and spending over $100 on a meal I just plain didn't care for. I like lots of WDW restuarants, but after a few weeks, it's just OLD.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-n-Belle View Post
DVC lets you stay Deluxe for moderate prices.

Since you are an artist and love to stay in Deluxes, I wouldn't worry about whether its a good deal or not, as some things don't have a price tag. You sound like you are more concerned about the visual and atmosphere vs how much its cost. How does staying in a deluxe vs a moderate make you feel? Do you like both equally, or do you like staying at the deluxes more, due to the balconies, closeness to the parks, choice of restaurants etc.

For example, if you were going to the east coast for a vacation and absolutely loved the beach and wanted to stay at a beach side resort, would it matter what it cost (within reason) vs. getting a hotel inland. The whole BEACH/OCEAN atmosphere would be non-existant (sp?)with a hotel inland. Why pay the money to stay there vs an ocean view resort. Yes, you could enjoy the beach during the day, but wouldn't it be nicer to not have to drive to go to and from the beach but just to walk out your door and be there? Is the inland resort really a bargain?

That is what you need to decide.

I bought into the BW (while they were selling SSR at a $15 discount) just so I could be within walking distance to Epcot and DHS. I find being at the BW is so worth it because I find being right there in the middle of the action or within a 5 -15 minute walk is priceless. However, I also get to stay in a 1 bedroom, with a full kitchen (saves money on breakfast & lunch), w/d and a king size bed!!!! YEAH!!!! To me, that is priceless.

To solve the "every year" problem, just buy enough points to stay in a 1 bedroom every other year. We started with just 150 points, paid that off, then bought 30 more, paid that off and held off because the BLT was "hopefully coming" and when they turned out to be true we bought 160 more points. If you need 300 points to stay for a week, just buy 150 and borrow and bank your points.

Once DVC is paid for, it really doesn't matter what it actually cost you to purchase as the accomodations are just fantastic. You see I'm a very frugal person and know where I spend every penny, so I would not be staying deluxe much unless I got a great deal. But with DVC it is affordable every year (once the intial purchase is paid off) and the experience of staying in a 1 bedroom (when we used to do values)and being so close to the parks is just priceless to us and adds so much magic to our vacations.

Dvc has held its value so if you do decide to buy and absolutely hate it, you can always sell.

Just determine what is important to you in a resort and see if DVC can offer it and don't worry about whether its a good deal. GOOD LUCK!
EXCELLENT EXCELLENT. These are things I needed.

AHH, so if we only plan on going everynother year, then buying teh ponts to do that is an AWESOME idea and then buy more when we can. Good.

And you got me pegged! Atmosphere is everything to me, and thankfully to DH. We always like a deluxe more than a mod. the mod is just a way to bridge the financial gap for the length of stay. I would do everything possible to do that stay ON the beach as opposed to inland. I cannot stand compromise and just won't do something if I have to compromise too much.

DISers rock! Thank you SO much for taking the time to help.
DH and I had been talking about moving up and buying a bigger house next year BUT, honestly, I'm not jazzed about the idea of another 30 year mortgage (we're half way through the one we're in now) at 40 and enjoying our lives sounds SO much more appealing. Our house is fine. Not great, but fine.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
rowbear
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
OH yeah and this part:
Our last trip we stayed for almost 2 weeks. By day 11, I had had ENOUGH of eating out and spending over $100 on a meal I just plain didn't care for. I like lots of WDW restuarants, but after a few weeks, it's just OLD.
Yeah and who wants to be surrounded by parents trying to get their kids to behave 3 meals a day? If you made a drinking game of taking a drink every time you heard a parent threaten not to let a child go swimming or to a park during a meal you would die of alcohol poisoning. Sometimes a sammich in the room feels like eating like royalty just because you can have some peace and quiet.
rowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

And when all else fails, click on a sponsor's ad! That has helped too.
DUH moment
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,740

Looking at it from a financial perspective, buying a DVC Membership makes sense if doing so saves you money compared to not being a Member. If you love Disney so much that you regularly visit WDW and you love to stay in the deluxe resorts then you can save money.

If you only go once in a while and you love to vacation at other places then I would pass.

Once you buy, you have to go, or rent your points every two years or you lose them. You have to spend money on park admission, travel, and food. It can really add up. For some it's just another expense, for others, it's an expense indulgence.
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Looking at it from a financial perspective, buying a DVC Membership makes sense if doing so saves you money compared to not being a Member. If you love Disney so much that you regularly visit WDW and you love to stay in the deluxe resorts then you can save money.

If you only go once in a while and you love to vacation at other places then I would pass.

Once you buy, you have to go, or rent your points every two years or you lose them. You have to spend money on park admission, travel, and food. It can really add up. For some it's just another expense, for others, it's an expense indulgence.
All good points! No pun intended.

I think we would go even more if we had a place to go and incentive to be able to go. So if we could finance the deal, then we'd be good. We just don't vacation anywhere else. We talk about it but never seem to be able to tear ourselves away from the mouse. I was telling DH that Hawaii might be nice in 2012 for our 20 year anniversary, but something tells me that we'll like our 1st cruise this fall that that won't happen either.

Good shtuff to think of guys! It's starting to gel. I'm working up a list of questions to ask a generous DISer that offered to let me call.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 61,272

There's also the idea that you buy to go every 3 years, using points that have been banked and borrowed for one trip every 3 years. You do have to go in the year that the points have been banked into, because you can only bank those points once. If you have a history of going at least every other year, DVC may be for you, and so, keep asking questions.

If you think you will cook then you should look at the points for a 1 bedroom. At AKV which you say you like, you can sleep 5 people and there are 2 full bathrooms, and the master baths in Kidani are huge and very attractive.

They do sell DVC on DCL, and it would be wise to know what you think you want before hand, how much the points cost direct from Disney and they do offer discounts on board above what you would pay if you bought at WDW.

Good luck as you try to figure these things out.

Bobbi
__________________
bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
There's also the idea that you buy to go every 3 years, using points that have been banked and borrowed for one trip every 3 years. You do have to go in the year that the points have been banked into, because you can only bank those points once. If you have a history of going at least every other year, DVC may be for you, and so, keep asking questions.

If you think you will cook then you should look at the points for a 1 bedroom. At AKV which you say you like, you can sleep 5 people and there are 2 full bathrooms, and the master baths in Kidani are huge and very attractive.

They do sell DVC on DCL, and it would be wise to know what you think you want before hand, how much the points cost direct from Disney and they do offer discounts on board above what you would pay if you bought at WDW.

Good luck as you try to figure these things out.

Bobbi
Oh my GOSH you guys! (Yes, I'm almost 40 and I said that ) SO many options and options that make things even MORE affordable and make sense. The "sell" to hubby might not be as difficult as I thought. I'm positively vibrating!
I've got 4 months to the cruise, so plenty of time to figure stuff out with your guys' help! OOOOO:hy per: I'm finally starting to "get it!" Miracle of miracles!
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
arthur06
DDC #689
 
arthur06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 1423 miles to MK & 1799 miles to DL
Posts: 2,626

Looking at your signature, it looks like you travel every 2-4 years! And judging by where you stay, I would say that enough points for an every 2-3 year vacation would be a good purchase. One thing you need to know, is how to use your membership. Make sure you familiarize yourself with banking, borrowing, UY, and all other aspects...you don't have to be an expert, but just a core understanding makes a huge difference!
__________________
April '11 BWV Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2697836

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
ppony
Artist in residence
 
ppony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 5,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur06 View Post
Looking at your signature, it looks like you travel every 2-4 years! And judging by where you stay, I would say that enough points for an every 2-3 year vacation would be a good purchase. One thing you need to know, is how to use your membership. Make sure you familiarize yourself with banking, borrowing, UY, and all other aspects...you don't have to be an expert, but just a core understanding makes a huge difference!
I'm glad you looked there. Yep. The 4 year stretch won't happen again if I can help it! That was when we had our first child and ....ugh! Now we have our second and I'm ready to roll! Thanks to you guys and the private messages, I am finally getting a grip. NOW I get hat you mean by banking and borrowing. Getting a little grip on the core is what I needed. I was just spinning my wheels.
It's looking like it really IS a good idea. Where's that money tree. Who's got it?!?! Fess up.
__________________
ME-Stephanie (44) Brian (DH 49) , Nicholas (DS14), Daniel (DS7)
~1994, 1997, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2009 DCL, 2010(1st DVC), 2012 (twice), Sept & Dec. 2014 DCL&WDW, 2016 first DL trip, 2018 Flower & Garden Fest. trip

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
YourEveryDayAdam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 481

ppony,

If you want to tell me what your typical vacation is like... how many days in a deluxe and how many days in a moderate. Also, how often do you go? Once every two years, etc?

Let me know and I can put together a math analysis for you on the numbers.
__________________
YourEveryDayAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie DVC Purchase Question tmgandolph DVC Member Services 6 07-08-2009 10:53 AM
Newbie bigpapamack Welcome to the DIS 4 07-08-2009 08:52 AM
Another Newbie Here cmcginnis Welcome to the DIS 10 07-08-2009 01:40 AM
Fantasmic questions for a newbie to DL dlong83 Disneyland (California) 2 07-06-2009 02:23 PM
Newbie to DCL - DCL Bus question Hillbeans Disney Cruise Line Forum 3 07-06-2009 09:31 AM

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.