Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunchkin View Post
Thanks for sharing!!

Please tell me about this 'middle tower trick' you spoke of for Fantasmic. I'm not aware of this.
Thanks!
Here are a couple of photos of the middle light tower:

Before Fantasmic starts the middle light tower is at ground level, and most Guests won't stand behind it since they expect the light tower to block their view. But a few minutes before Fantasmic starts, the middle light tower is raised, and the view is very good.

This is a standing spot, so it isn't as good for younger children.

In early-August '07 the Fantasmic viewing area was jampacked, but we still managed to find a spot there about 30 minutes before the show.

Here's a photo of the light tower that's in front of the River Belle Terrace:

Here's a photo of the light tower that's on the other side:

HTH

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #17
LuckyMamaInDE
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the details We're hoping to get back to California next summer with a few days at DLR (I haven't been since the mid80s!). Our trip days will be dependent on what I can get at Yosemite in June/July---the teens refuse to stay in a tent cabin again...LOL. I think I'll pay attention to the AP black out dates, based on your posts and others I have read over the last few weeks.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound 109 View Post
That has been my experience on Sundays.....but others recently have reported that Saturday has been less crowded than Sundays. (I think because of SoCal AP blackouts) Was SoCal blacked out on your Sunday?

Anyone else have a new opinion on the Sat. vrs. Sunday question (at least thru Labor Day)??
The SoCal APs are blocked out from June 27 to August 15.

(And our trip started on June 28. )

I’m sure the blocked-out APs helped with the low crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound 109 View Post
S.S. Columbia, do you think that "the first boats" for Storybookland were filled & went out at 8:01 - 8:04am? If one didn't care about Casey, when would you line up for Storybookland (7:50? 7:59?). & on NON MM days, when do you think the line starts building for Storybookland?

I always seem to miss this favorite because i'm touring elsewhere & when i return, the line seems to long (for me). Thanks!
Yes, we missed “the first boats” for Storybook.

But we got in line for Storybook at 8:08am* and the wait was only 5 minutes.

Sorry, I didn’t notice when the line started for Storybook.

* After Casey Jr. we dawdled and took a few photos.

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
disneyscootergal
Have you all got anmesia?? He never got out of the cockadoodie car!!

I really really enjoyed reading this report! Thanks a bunch for posting it...I leave in 20 days!! You got me all revved up!!

DL-6/03 (Paradise Pier)
DL-8/05 (Paradise Pier)
DL-8/07 (Hojos)
DL-8/09 (HOJOS!!! Yahoo!)
disneyscootergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

SSC, I think it would be a GREAT IDEA if you would take this post with pictures and make a whole new thread on the "Fantasmic Light Tower Trick". I am forever trying to explain it to people in words and in the future I will just give them a link. The photos are great!

FWIW, we have never needed to use the trick but I always keep it in mind just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. S. Columbia View Post
Here are a couple of photos of the middle light tower:

Before Fantasmic starts the middle light tower is at ground level, and most Guests won't stand behind it since they expect the light tower to block their view. But a few minutes before Fantasmic starts, the middle light tower is raised, and the view is very good.

This is a standing spot, so it isn't as good for younger children.

In early-August '07 the Fantasmic viewing area was jampacked, but we still managed to find a spot there about 30 minutes before the show.

Here's a photo of the light tower that's in front of the River Belle Terrace:

Here's a photo of the light tower that's on the other side:

HTH
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

Thank you so much for your report! We are leaving in two weeks and I had just recently read of the light tower trick. Your photos were just what I needed to understand it!

Also, it sounds like you can get a Visa rewards card outside before entering the park? That would be great because I just ordered my new rewards card last week and they said 2-3 weeks for delivery. I was afraid it might cut it close. Thanks for the info!

whogirl'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
SSC, I think it would be a GREAT IDEA if you would take this post with pictures and make a whole new thread on the "Fantasmic Light Tower Trick". I am forever trying to explain it to people in words and in the future I will just give them a link. The photos are great!
Ahoy!

Fantasmic Light Tower Trick
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2225094

Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogirl'smom View Post
... it sounds like you can get a Visa rewards card outside before entering the park? That would be great because I just ordered my new rewards card last week and they said 2-3 weeks for delivery. I was afraid it might cut it close. Thanks for the info!
The Disney Visa Rewards Card that they give you at Guest Services (to the left of the DL turnstiles) is probably similar to the one that you would receive in the mail.

Keep in mind ... Guest Services does not activate the new rewards card.

You will need to activate the new rewards card by calling Visa. (It was an easy call, and the phone number was included with the new rewards card paperwork.)

Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. S. Columbia View Post
The SoCal APs are blocked out from June 27 to August 15.

(And our trip started on June 28. )

I’m sure the blocked-out APs helped with the low crowds.

Yes, we missed “the first boats” for Storybook.

But we got in line for Storybook at 8:08am* and the wait was only 5 minutes.

Sorry, I didn’t notice when the line started for Storybook.

* After Casey Jr. we dawdled and took a few photos.

Thanks for the info SSC.

Looks like Sunday is the "new Saturday"......(which used to be the "new Sunday ).

I've been twice on Sundays when the SoCal APs were blocked out & except for (about) 1pm - 7pm, touring DL was very managable.....& early on Sunday AM was fantastic for touring & FP collecting.

Great info on Storybookland. Next time, i'll surpress the urge to head to the left side of the park after MM & "just do it" with Storybookland at 8:05-8:10am (after picking up a FP at SM or Indy of course ).

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: