Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
magickingdom
disney daydreamer

Must Haves in California...

This will be my 1st visit to Disneyland/California Adventure! I am looking for dining/snack/food suggestions. What do you have to have when you visit?

Thank you so much in advance!!!

magickingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
tiggr33
DVC '97

For me, every time I visit DL, I have to have a Mickey head hot preztal. I'll see if I can find photo to update my post.

Club 33 Guest x2
Victoria & Albert's March 2009
50+ WDW trips (stopped counting @ 50)
Platinum Castaway Club Member
eBay = Rabats-Sales
tiggr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

As there is a Disneyland forum where all discussion of Disneyland takes place, I am moving this thread there.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

DS just doesn't feel right unless he has a Mickey pancake one morning. Though some of the chefs at buffets will sometimes make them, we go to the only regular restaurant that makes them, RiverBelle Terrace in Disneyland.

We love the breakfast platters at Tomorrowland Terrace...we get two and share it with the 3 of us, and each one comes with a beverage (like coffee for the grownups), so it's a nice bargain!

Hubby and I love the Vegetarian Gumbo in a breadbowl at Royal Street Veranda.

The only thing that I MUST have, that I have never NOT gotten, is an iced latte, usually with a chocolate chip cookie (though they might be changing the cookie recipe as it wasn't as scrumptious on our last visit than it was even the month before). Yeah yeah it's Nescafe, but so far, the only place that messes up iced lattes routinely is Starbucks...I adore my Disney iced lattes.

And we discovered Haggen Dasz in DTD on our last family trip. DS has some sensitivities to non-food ingredients in most of the ice cream inside the parks (including the mickey bars), but HD has ingredient lists, and their basic ice creams have basic ingredients, and that scoop of chocolate was fabulous (the bite DS let me have).

Mickey head shaped beignets at Cafe Orleans were incredible, and the Fritters at Royal Street Veranda were very good as well, though different than the beignets (I was expecting the same taste, different shape).

I can't recommend the fruit more...not the prepackaged fruit (other than the plastic box of mango with lime) like the little cup of grapes, but the free-floating (ha) fruit at fruit carts is traditionally VERY good. And especially ifyou're going in or close to the proper season, the strawberries at Disney are not to be missed!!!!! We generally only eat organic with strawberries, grapes, and apples, but we make an exception at Disney (until they started packaging the grapes) b/c the taste is so worth the pesticides.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

Tigger Tails are amazing! although, they are VERY sweet, and pretty large, so i would suggest sharing one between 2 people. we made them at home, and after the first marshmallow, my kids were like, "ooooh, i don't feel so good", LOL!!
Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

CHURRO!!!!!!!!

I also LOVE the Bengal BBQ
Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
LuLusApple
DIS Veteran

DD12 has to have a mint julep from the mint julep bar. And I have to have a personal misting fan! LOL not food but it's a lifesaver

MeDD13DD19DD22 DS23DS24DGD2
LuLusApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
toby78
Disneyland is my backyard!!!!!

Yummy

Well i always have to get me one of their big fat corndogs,,,yum,,also a clam chowder breadbowl from Royal St. Veranda, and the pineapple spears for some reason are the best pieces of pineapple i have ever tasted anywhere else...
toby78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
teatime
Sir, can I have some more dole whip please ???

1.turkey leg .
2.frozen margarita drink in DCA
3.frozen lemonade
4. beignets ...Cafe Orleans
5.pom fries cafe orleans
6.Monte cristo ...cafe orleans
7. House of blues...Brick Oven Roasted Quesadillas
8. house of blues ..sweet potato fries.. ( these sound interesting!)
9. ESPN zone...Cheese Fries - A platter of fries smothered with bacon and a blend of cheddar, pepper jack, and mozzarella cheese, served with ranch dressing.
10. Ralph Brennans
11. dole whip ..... tiki room
12. chicken fusili ..... Red rockets pizza port
13. Loaded baked potato soup ....... Carnation Cafe

Need I say more

teatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
c&m
Love the Mouse but love my DH more for taking me to the Mouse House.

DH loves his churros
DD13 loves the churros and pineapple spears
DD10 loves the frozen lemonade
ME, I'm into the beignets and pomme frites at Cafe Orleans
DL July 14 (Hotel Indigo Anaheim), DL August 13 (Hyatt Orange County), WDW July 12 (AKL, Parc Soleil HGV, Hilton Orlando), WDW March 12 (Parc Soleil HGV), DL Paris Aug 11, DL March 11 (Sheraton Park), DL Aug 10 (Sheraton Garden Grove), WDW Aug/Sep 09 (AKL), DL March 09 (Hilton Garden Inn), DL July 08 (Hampton Inn), DL July 07 (Hyatt Orange County), WDW May 05 (Port Orleans Riverside),DL March 04 (Doubletree), DL September 03 (Anaheim Hilton), DL September 02 (Anaheim Marriott), DL September 01 (Hyatt Orange County), DL July 00 (Newport Dunes), WDW May 00 (Dolphin), DL May 98 (Paradise Pier), WDW January 97 (Port Orleans French Quarter), WDW August 95 (Days Inn), DL 94 (Holiday Inn)
c&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

oh ya. huge echo to the beignets and corn dogs and chowder bread bowls
Old 07-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I have to agree with Bumbershoot and Toby78 - the FRUIT at DLR is amazing! It is so succulent and fresh and and at the peak of ripeness most of the time - just thinking about those sweet, juicy pineapple spears on a hot day makes me want to hurry and get to DLR!! In fact, I am going to get one (or two) of those spears in a couple of weeks when I am there! YUM! And I am hoping to catch some strawberries this time, seeing that my last two DLR trips were past strawberry season. But even aside from the pineapple spears in the vendor carts, the fruit at the restaurants and character meals is outstanding. The fruit at the Goofy's Kitchen breakfast buffet (a mixture of different melons and pineapple and grapes) is some of the best I have ever had. And it's funny, because I referred a friend of mine to Goofy's last year, and when she got back I asked what dishes she liked at Goofy's. I expected to hear "Mickey-shaped cobbler" or "creme brulee French toast," but she said, "That fruit is some of the best I have ever tasted!!" So there is some magic to that fruit - as Corpsebride calls it, "It's Wonka fruit."

So people may think that DLR is all just junk food eating, and I do love a good, messy, warm cinnamon roll here and there from Blue Ribbon Bakery, but there are some of us who look forward to the FRUIT!!!

Another refreshing thing is the Rain Forest Ricky drink in Rain Forest Cafe. The pudgy little gingerbread men with ears which are sold during the holidays are delicious. The desserts at Carnation - Matterhorn Sundae and the apple pie a la mode - are great.

Lots of good stuff!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Must get peanut brittle! Sold in Market House and a few other places. We got two packs this last trip!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
spacemermaid
DIS Veteran

I have to get a Mint Julep every time I'm in the Park. They're nothing like a real Mint Julep, though, and are one of those things that people either love or hate.

Lifelong Disney fan!
spacemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
skoocher
MouseFamily

Churros, turkey legs, and clam-chowder bread bowl. Actually, there is a lot of really yummy food at DL. The candy store (can't think of the name ot the moment) on Main St has some great candy including delicious chocolate. As you can imagine, everything is very expensive, but these things I just don't pass up. I'll be there next Friday for my B-Day sampling some of these items
skoocher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: