Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #31
purplegirl247
I joined for reason A
It got a little better the higher we got
I'll come back and quote everyone individually

We've been on a lot of different ghost tours. If you google "Savannah ghost tour," you'll see a bunch come up. If you visit the web sites of some of the tours, they'll sometimes offer either discounts if you book online or coupons to print out and use at the time of the tour.

We stayed at the Eliza Thompson Inn, a B&B off Bull St. and Jones. Breakfast and snacks throughout the day are included, so that was nice for our budget. They offer packages on their web site. It was a bit of a walk to River Street (but so nice to do so; we loved all the parks that we walked through!) but right up the street from Mrs. Wilkes', which was delicious! We went in the Paul Deen shop, but didn't want to wait in line to eat there. There's quite a bit of walking around to do during the day, and that's free!

Oh, and like someone else said, pick up some of the free tourist-y magazines. They have some cool discounts, if you're lucky.
purplegirl247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #32
Liz&Griff'smom
Mouseketeer

I was born and raised in Savannah and still live here. I love Savannah and will be glad to help you with anything that you need.

I saw that that you mentioned Paula Deen. I would not waste my money on the tour. (Sorry Paula!) I would just eat at Lady and Sons. But get there early for dinner or lunch because there is always a long line. It is the busiest part of downtown.

You also mentioned taking a ghost tour. The walking tours are great. My husband and I took a carriage ghost tour a few years ago and it was boring. It was a repeat of the book, "Savannah Spectors". Definitely buy that book while you are here.

Another tour that I heard was fun is the Ghost pub tour. You tour various bars throughout downtown and hear ghost stories. My husband and I keep saying that we are going to do that tour, but have not gotten around to it.

They usually do it in groups. Let us know when you are coming and we will get some more Savannahians together and take the tour with you. Beer and Ghost stories! FUN!!!!!

If you need anymore information, let me know. I will be glad to help.

Liz&Griff'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #33
southernbelle5672
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Griff'smom View Post
I was born and raised in Savannah and still live here. I love Savannah and will be glad to help you with anything that you need.

I saw that that you mentioned Paula Deen. I would not waste my money on the tour. (Sorry Paula!) I would just eat at Lady and Sons. But get there early for dinner or lunch because there is always a long line. It is the busiest part of downtown.

You also mentioned taking a ghost tour. The walking tours are great. My husband and I took a carriage ghost tour a few years ago and it was boring. It was a repeat of the book, "Savannah Spectors". Definitely buy that book while you are here.

Another tour that I heard was fun is the Ghost pub tour. You tour various bars throughout downtown and hear ghost stories. My husband and I keep saying that we are going to do that tour, but have not gotten around to it.

They usually do it in groups. Let us know when you are coming and we will get some more Savannahians together and take the tour with you. Beer and Ghost stories! FUN!!!!!

If you need anymore information, let me know. I will be glad to help.
Hey! Thanks so much for all your info! I am so excited that now I have a direct source OK, I have really been hearing that the Paula Deen tour is not worth it and I'm so glad I asked because with spending over $100, I would be really, really disappointed if it wasn't awesome. And please tell me a little bit about Lady & Sons. I have heard all good things about the food but horrible things about being able to eat there. We are planning to go on July 31-August 2. I would like to eat there either Friday or Saturday night, so what do you suggest? We don't mind eating early - like around 5 o'clock or so but even then would it be tough to get in? I'm still a little unclear on whether or not that accept reservations only.

The pub tour is definitely something I am interested in. I am newly 21 (well, 6 months or so) so it really sounds up our alley! lol! Someone had mentioned the hearse tour as well and that looks neat. Do you think it will be the same stories though? If they were two different tours I would be willing to do both of them because DH has always talked about how he would love to go to Savannah and do the ghost tour (this trip is sort of a surprise getaway).

Another thing I wanted to ask you about: have you ever been to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre at the Pirate House? I think this would be a lot of fun for us if it is a good show. I have heard good things about it and that it was featured on Weekends with Samantha Brown.

OK this is getting really long, but can you tell me some other good restaurants that would be worth going to? If we go to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre then obviously that will include food but we will need to eat out at maybe 2 other places. We will be staying at the Hyatt (I got a really good rate on hotwire). What do you think of the Moon River Brewing Company? I ask because they have gift certificates for it on restaurant.com.

I think that's all for now but I am/will be definitely taking you up on your offer of giving me lots of information~! Thanks again!!

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
southernbelle5672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #34
gk90
Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!

Here are a couple of links to Savannah threads:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2123959
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2176986

On both of these, posters agree that Lady and Sons is not as good as it used to be.
And I have to put in a good word for my favorite Savannah restaurant, Mrs. Wilkes, which Tripadvisor is currently listing as # 1 in Savannah: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...h_Georgia.html

Lady and Sons is # 79: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...h_Georgia.html
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #35
southernbelle5672
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Here are a couple of links to Savannah threads:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2123959
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2176986

On both of these, posters agree that Lady and Sons is not as good as it used to be.
And I have to put in a good word for my favorite Savannah restaurant, Mrs. Wilkes, which Tripadvisor is currently listing as # 1 in Savannah: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...h_Georgia.html

Lady and Sons is # 79: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...h_Georgia.html
Is Mrs. Wilkes open on Saturday or Sunday? It might seem like a silly question but I just looked at their website and only saw a menu for Monday-Friday.

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
southernbelle5672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #36
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

I don't know about others, but if and when (hopefully soon) we get back to Savannah we won't eat anywhere except Lady and Sons. I thought is was some of the best food I have ever eaten. We loved it so much, we might drive the 4 hours early on a Saturday morning just to get in for dinner and drive back home or spend 1 night and have dinner on Saturday evening and lunch on Sunday. You CANNOT make a reservation, but they wil give you a return time if you get their early enough. On Sunday if you get there before the church crowd lets out, you won't have to wait long.

I may just be prejudice because we are huge Paula Deen fans.

Suzanne
Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #37
Liz&Griff'smom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle5672 View Post
Hey! Thanks so much for all your info! I am so excited that now I have a direct source OK, I have really been hearing that the Paula Deen tour is not worth it and I'm so glad I asked because with spending over $100, I would be really, really disappointed if it wasn't awesome. And please tell me a little bit about Lady & Sons. I have heard all good things about the food but horrible things about being able to eat there. We are planning to go on July 31-August 2. I would like to eat there either Friday or Saturday night, so what do you suggest? We don't mind eating early - like around 5 o'clock or so but even then would it be tough to get in? I'm still a little unclear on whether or not that accept reservations only.

The pub tour is definitely something I am interested in. I am newly 21 (well, 6 months or so) so it really sounds up our alley! lol! Someone had mentioned the hearse tour as well and that looks neat. Do you think it will be the same stories though? If they were two different tours I would be willing to do both of them because DH has always talked about how he would love to go to Savannah and do the ghost tour (this trip is sort of a surprise getaway).

Another thing I wanted to ask you about: have you ever been to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre at the Pirate House? I think this would be a lot of fun for us if it is a good show. I have heard good things about it and that it was featured on Weekends with Samantha Brown.

OK this is getting really long, but can you tell me some other good restaurants that would be worth going to? If we go to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre then obviously that will include food but we will need to eat out at maybe 2 other places. We will be staying at the Hyatt (I got a really good rate on hotwire). What do you think of the Moon River Brewing Company? I ask because they have gift certificates for it on restaurant.com.

I think that's all for now but I am/will be definitely taking you up on your offer of giving me lots of information~! Thanks again!!
I have always heard good things about Lady & Sons, but there is ALWAYS a line to get in. This is Savannah's biggest tourist attraction at the moment. (I remember when it was all about, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") Friday night might be a little better than Saturday, but not alot. I do not believe that they take reservations. I would not worry about the amount of people. I would just give my name at the podium, wait my turn, and enjoy. At least this will be the only long wait you have, unlike WDW

Most of the Ghost Tours tend to follow the, "Savannah Spectors" book, but I do not remember many stories about pubs, so the pub tour should be somewhat different. I think that it is more about the alcohol then the ghost stories. I have seen people on the hearse tour downtown and they seemed to be having a blast! That is probably worth doing. I recently saw a brochure from a trolley where they dress up and add some type of drama to the ghost tour. I will look for that info. and get back to you.

I do not know anything about the Murder Mystery at the Pirate's House, but I saw it on the Travel Channel the other day also. There used to be a dinner cruise called Murder Afloat. It might be the same group.

It is funny that you ask about the Moon River Brewing Company. My husband and I ate there for the first time last week. My food was terrible. I had the salmon. My husband's was okay. I can't remember what he got. I think if you want to eat there, I would stick to the bar food, burgers, sandwiches, etc. FYI, this is where one of the pub ghost tours start. But you do not have to eat there to participate in the tour.

In terms of restaurants our favorite downtown restaurants are Kevin Berrys (Irish and bar Food), Hueys (Cajun food), Pirates House (Love the lunch buffet), and Spanky's (Love the the chicken Fingers and spuds). Our favoite place is Vinnie Van Go Gos. It is located in City Market. They have the best pizza. It is inexpensive.They sell it by the slice and the slices are big.

Well I hope this helps. My children are whining to go somewhere, so I must go.

Liz&Griff'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #38
KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
Creates edible masterpieces
Planning a huge WDW family reunion...I know, I'm insane!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
We are very close neighbors, I live on Whitemarsh Island and our Dr.'s offices are right across the street from Uncle Bubba's! We haven't been to the beach since Miley took over, I bet it's a mess out there!

Moon River Brewing Company is very good and they are listed with Restaurants.com. I have lived in Savannah for 4 years now and I haven't taken a tour or eaten at Paula Deen's- I have no interest in either. I have however, seen Jaime and his family, Michael, and Paula all at Publix grocery store!
Hi neighbor! I thought you guys had moved to FL, lol. Yes, we're on Whitemarsh Island as well, I know just where the dr.'s office is We have no interest in Paula either, Lady and Sons isn't as good as it used to be when it was in City Market. Mrs. Wilkes is soooo much better, but maybe we shouldn't give away our secret
Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #39
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRSTIN'S MOMMY View Post
Hi neighbor! I thought you guys had moved to FL, lol. Yes, we're on Whitemarsh Island as well, I know just where the dr.'s office is We have no interest in Paula either, Lady and Sons isn't as good as it used to be when it was in City Market. Mrs. Wilkes is soooo much better, but maybe we shouldn't give away our secret
LOL, no not all the way to Florida yet. I was born in the Detroit area, moved to Greenville, SC, and now I am in Savannah-I am slowly working my way south! I keep telling my DH I will move East or South, but not North or West!!

Funny, I had mentioned in my post that I have seen Paula, Jaime, and Michael at Publix-this afternoon I saw Bobby at the Publix on Wilmington Island. I am a fulfilled woman now, I have seen them all!

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #40
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!
I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, across the street from the visitor's center. 2 queen beds and super clean. Just don't eat breakfast, it stunk, lots of other places to eat.

I was there last Labor Day and we did the Trolley Tour for $20. This past January I was there, and Savannah was like a ghost town, but I did see lots of locals, and as they say, "watch were locals eat". I ate luch at the English Pub and another SoHo Resturant across the street from the Marriott.

I went into the Visitor center and they have representatives from hotels, talking about a special, or a buffet or luncheon, a home or a bed/breakfast is having. So definately stop in there first. I also did the $10 trolley tour this time. There trolley's are right next to the $20 trolley's in the parking lot at the Visitor Center.

I wanted to do a walking/ghost tour, but in winter they only have them on Thurs-Sunday and I was there on a Wednesday evening.

Have fun, I just walked into Paula Dean's resturant. One local told me her secret ingredient is "butter". She told me she cooks everything with butter, and this is why everything taste so good.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #41
KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
Creates edible masterpieces
Planning a huge WDW family reunion...I know, I'm insane!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrh_disney_queen View Post
LOL, no not all the way to Florida yet. I was born in the Detroit area, moved to Greenville, SC, and now I am in Savannah-I am slowly working my way south! I keep telling my DH I will move East or South, but not North or West!!

Funny, I had mentioned in my post that I have seen Paula, Jaime, and Michael at Publix-this afternoon I saw Bobby at the Publix on Wilmington Island. I am a fulfilled woman now, I have seen them all!
Too funny. My DH is from Nebraska, and I said no way in Hades am I moving north, my blood is too thin and I would freeze to death!
I've run into Paula and her DH at the Wal Mart on Whitemarsh Island, I wouldn't have know it was her if I hadn't seen him...trust me when I say she looks TOTALLY different without her makeup on!

Last edited by KIRSTIN'S MOMMY; 07-11-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: I can't spell tonight!
KIRSTIN'S MOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #42
CLR4321
DIS Veteran

If you are looking for a cheaper place to stay, check out places that are in midtown Savannah, near the mall. You won't have the convenience of having all of the historical district within walking distance, but it will save you some money.

March 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 2009 - Pop Century
Feb 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Jan 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside & Villas at Wilderness Lodge
CLR4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #43
4Seasons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!
We used one at Moon River Brewing company last summer (we usually go to Hilton Head for a week every summer and go to Savannah at least twice during our stay).
We had lunch food and it was fine, I think the 4 of us ate for about $20 with the coupon. I recommended a friend to go there and they ate dinner and said it was not good, so I'd stick with the burgers and lunch-type fare.
Oh, and you do know Moon River is haunted right? Have seen it on many shows including Ghost Hunters, make sure to go down in the basement where the pool tables are, that's where they caught something eerie on video.

You can take the ferry for free over to the Westin across the river and get some beautiful pictures of the old buildings on River Street from there.

Oglethorpe tours are the $10 trolleys, we do them every time we go.

I've heard Mrs. Wilkes dining room is awesome and we plan on eating there this trip (we leave for HHI in 6 days!). Every trip prior we've eaten at Pirates House (a little pricey) but last time we got in on a very cool (and free) tour from a Johnny Depp looking pirate that happened to be in there, talking about the history of Savannah and the Pirate House in particular (he was awesome, even talked and mimicked the mannerisms of Johnny Depp's character).
And if you are really into ghosts and do happen to go to Pirate House, ask if Murray is there. He is THE person in Savannah to talk to about ghosts and hauntings.

Walk along river street in the evening, it's pretty cool and stop in the place that gives free samples of the praline candy. YUM!

A great place to get ideas of things to do and see, and also to see a calendar of events is http://www.savannahvisit.com/visitors.asp

Have a great time! I keep trying to convince DH we need to move to Savannah because I was a southern belle in a past life....
I love it there!
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #44
gk90
Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!

4seasons, thanks for the tip about the place that gives free samples of the praline candy--is it a candy store on River st?

We're big Mrs Wilkes fans but on this trip would have to wake up at 5-6 am to get to Savannah by 1, so it looks like we're not going to get there on time to get in line since Mrs Wilkes stops serving at 2--so having dinner somewhere else in the historic district instead. We're wondering about Moon River, and also looking at Tripadvisor reviews of other places downtown I'm interested in this BBQ place, Barnes Express--has anyone been there or to their other branches?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...h_Georgia.html

Also what can people tell us about parking in the historic district? When we went we took a trolley tour (Oglethorpe, $10 for all day on-off) and walked--I think I remember hearing that it's very difficult to find parking?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #45
4Seasons
DIS Veteran

I think the place is called River Street Sweets. It smells SOOOOO good in there! Do not go in hungry or you will leave with a much lighter wallet, LOL.

Another place we've eaten at before that we like is One Eyed Lizzy's on River Street, great fajitas!

Parking is by meters thruout the historic district, there is paid parking at the visitors center as well. Not sure about parking garages because we can never use them, our van is a hightop conversion and we can never fit in them.

BTW just saw a commercial on the Travel Channel that Moon River Brewing co. will be featured on Ghost Adventures this coming friday at 9 pm!

Last edited by 4Seasons; 07-12-2009 at 03:02 PM.
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: