Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
kilee

The Tag Fairy knows all, sees all.....
Love is in the air!

I'm going to Savannah next week for a work conference for 4 days. I'll have 3nights free, and I was looking at 1 of the ghost tours. Defintely going to check your link out.

My room is at the Hilton, across the street from the Sorrel-Weed House (??) is that close distance to the river walk?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
southernbelle5672
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Tybee Island was a nice place to visit.

Also, Vinnie's is AWESOME...and Kevin Barry's was great for a pint (or three ).

Honestly, just walking around downtown is fun ~ and free!!

Have a great time. DH and I visited there four years ago and I loved it. It's a gorgeous city, and most of the people were wonderful.
Is there a public beach on Tybee Island? How far away from Savannah is it?

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
southernbelle5672 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle5672 View Post
Is there a public beach on Tybee Island? How far away from Savannah is it?
I know there is because that's where we went to the beach, but I can't remember where it was! It was very close to the lighthouse, though. That much I remember.

Tybee Island was around 30 mins away, if I remember right.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Yes, the public beach for Tybee Island is right across the street from the Lighthouse. I believe you have to pay for parking, unless you are getting there after a certain time. There is another parking lot closer to the beach if you just explore a little bit from the parking light directly across from the lighthouse. There is a restaurant and bar there, too. On the way to the Lighthouse, there is Fort Pulaski, a National Historic Site. We loved it, too.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much for all of the information. It does make me think twice about going on the tour since it is so expensive. And I really wouldn't call us die hard fans of Paula Deen, we just watch her every once and a while. That is also interesting that you only get a buffet at Bubba's Oyster House, especially since I'm not a big fan of shrimp and REALLY not a fan of buffets. I guess it would be better for us to just try to go to Bubba's Oyster House and the Lady & Sons on our own. I'm also interested in the kitchen store you mentioned ... were things reasonably priced or relatively high? Are all of the stores you talked about in the same general area? For instance, if we want to park somewhere could we just walk to all of the stores (the kitchen store, the candy stores, etc). If we decide to only do the Murder Mystery Dinner Show and ghost tour, what would you recommend doing instead of the Paula Deen tour? Do you think visiting the shops you talked about would entertain us for an entire day?
http://www.savannahgetaways.net/poi/index.cfm

When we went to the kitchen store and lady and Sons, we lucked out and found street parking.If memory serves, it was right near the intersection of Barnard and W. Broughton (see map in link, look for City Market then go below and to the right). There are all kinds of shops in the area, especially in the City Market. There is a Savananna Candy Kitchen at City Market and also the one on River Street. Can't remember which is the original. When we visited River St, we just parked in a city lot on Bay St. Inbetween some of the old buildings there in Factors Walk, there were staircases that took you down to River St (not a lot of parking on River St that I saw). Cafeful in that area, though! It's all cobblestone-y. I almost bought it on the stairs once!

That kitchen store had some pricey stuff and some not so bad. Similar to Williams Sonoma and Sur la Table. They have the really pretty measuring cups and spoons that Paula uses on her show, but those are rather spendy I thought!

If you can work it in, visit Forsyth Park. We didn;t get to stop, but it sure was beautiful!!!! If you wnat to see where Forrest Gump sat on the bench waiting for the bus to visit jenny, that's at Chippewa Square (corer of E Hull and Bull Sts). However, the actual bench is in the Historical Museum.

Hope you have a good trip! I only got to spend a few hours of 2 days there, so I will definitely be going back.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
scribega
Where's Perry??

Try the link below. It is like a cheat sheet to priceline bidding. Great deals.

Link:
www.biddingfortravel.com
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #22
Halle
DIS Veteran

Went to the Lady and Sons in April. We got in line at 8:30 AM for a reservation, the line was to the end of the block, they started taking reservations at 9:30 AM. When we got to the podium the times available for lunch were 11:00 or 2:30. It was a Saturday. We had tried to have lunch there on Thursday and at 11:30 they were booked for the entire day. My advice is get there early. If you think you'll see Paula Deen if you do the tour...probably won't according to die hard folks in line with us. Fun place..save room for the hoe cakes.
Halle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
KIRSTIN'S MOMMY
Creates edible masterpieces
Planning a huge WDW family reunion...I know, I'm insane!!!

Tybee Island is about 30 to 45 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic. Miley Cyrus is on Tybee right now filming a movie, so traffic has been horrible (I live on an island that's on the way to the beach), especially on the weekends. The beach is public, though with the film shooting there aren't too many parking spots to be found since they have a lot of spaces blocked off with no access.
If you're looking for good southern cooking, Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is a local favorite (we don't go to Paula's much anymore since it got to be such a tourist spot...used to be great when it was in City Market). It's over on Jones St. in the historic district. Uncle Bubba's is literally 2 minutes from my house and I've been there once, the food was just ok, and they were out of everything I tried to order from the menu.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #24
southernbelle5672
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
Went to the Lady and Sons in April. We got in line at 8:30 AM for a reservation, the line was to the end of the block, they started taking reservations at 9:30 AM. When we got to the podium the times available for lunch were 11:00 or 2:30. It was a Saturday. We had tried to have lunch there on Thursday and at 11:30 they were booked for the entire day. My advice is get there early. If you think you'll see Paula Deen if you do the tour...probably won't according to die hard folks in line with us. Fun place..save room for the hoe cakes.
Oh okay. Wow! Sounds like it's crazy there. So if I'm understanding this right, you have to make reservations in person. Is that correct? And you need to arrive very early and stand in line until 9:30? Wow.

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
jrnunzio3
DIS Veteran

Went to Savannah a few years ago. My husband and I went on a daytime walking tour with Bobby Davis from www.exploresavannah.com This was such a great tour that we decided to take his ghost tour that night. The ghost tour is a walking tour, but well worth it. I think it was like 10-15 dollars a person.
Jen
jrnunzio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
LadyEMT
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add that "Health" magazine just rated Tybee as its healthiest beach!

"Tybee earned high marks from the judge’s panel, using criteria such as the average cost to stay in the area, the variety of healthy activities and healthy food available, air and water quality, and presence of emergency personnel like lifeguards.

“It shows that we are doing a great job with our beach water quality, which is a really important issue. A lot of communities around the country have had to close down their beaches because they haven’t necessarily been good stewards of their environment, and we’ve taken proactive measures to make sure our beach water quality is very good,“ said Mayor Jason Buelterman.

Biking, walking, and other outdoor activities helped Tybee score well with Health magazine and with those who stay here often.

“You can bicycle any where here on the island and we love to walk on the beach, it’s a nice long beach, you can walk forever really. but I will say when I’m here I tend to eat a lot more fried food than I ever would in Massachusetts,“ said Debbie Davidson, a Massachusetts resident who also owns a condo on Tybee.

The city and volunteers also work hard to keep the beaches litter-free. Visitors and long-time islanders say being named Healthiest Beach is an exciting honor for the entire Tybee community.

“We’ll look for that healthy attitude out there, all those people out walking ‘cause we really have seen quite a few people out running and out on their bicycles and stuff,“ said Don Dorrell of Indiana, a first-time visitor to Tybee.

“They evaluated beaches all around the United States and for our little tiny community to take home this honor is quite something,“ said Buelterman."

LadyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #27
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Oh okay. Wow! Sounds like it's crazy there. So if I'm understanding this right, you have to make reservations in person. Is that correct? And you need to arrive very early and stand in line until 9:30? Wow.
That is right, especially on a Saturday. When we went, Dh got in line at 2:30pm and our ressie was for 9:30pm. reservations were handled differently then, seems it has changed since we have been.

Suzanne
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
southernbelle5672
DIS Veteran

Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
figaromeetsmarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!
I have eated at Moon River. I don't remember exactly what they had on their menu but I believe it was burgers, ribs, steaks, etc., and I do remember we enjoyed our meal. It's a nice place!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #30
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRSTIN'S MOMMY View Post
Tybee Island is about 30 to 45 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic. Miley Cyrus is on Tybee right now filming a movie, so traffic has been horrible (I live on an island that's on the way to the beach), especially on the weekends. The beach is public, though with the film shooting there aren't too many parking spots to be found since they have a lot of spaces blocked off with no access.
If you're looking for good southern cooking, Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is a local favorite (we don't go to Paula's much anymore since it got to be such a tourist spot...used to be great when it was in City Market). It's over on Jones St. in the historic district. Uncle Bubba's is literally 2 minutes from my house and I've been there once, the food was just ok, and they were out of everything I tried to order from the menu.
We are very close neighbors, I live on Whitemarsh Island and our Dr.'s offices are right across the street from Uncle Bubba's! We haven't been to the beach since Miley took over, I bet it's a mess out there!

Moon River Brewing Company is very good and they are listed with Restaurants.com. I have lived in Savannah for 4 years now and I haven't taken a tour or eaten at Paula Deen's- I have no interest in either. I have however, seen Jaime and his family, Michael, and Paula all at Publix grocery store!

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: