Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Talking 8~) WARNING ~ My very 1st PTR! ~ WE POPPED and TR started! Link in 1st post

This is my first attempt at writing an actual PTR that hopefully will be followed up with an actual TR when we get back!

I am writing it because I have enjoyed reading so many reports on the board and they have helped me so much in my planning over the years. Reading them also helped pass the time between trips!

Who are we?
Carol ~the Momma~
• Has always loved everything Disney
• Not a big fan of “Big Drop” thrill rides (TOT – never again) thought I would pass out on the RNR take off- iffy on doing that again, EE wasn’t too bad and I would do that again
• Is an Ultra Planner but doesn’t do commando touring
• Loves seeing Disney through her son’s eyes

Peter~ the Daddy
• The most wonderful husband ever designed
• He doesn’t care that it’s Disney – he thinks of every trip as an adventure
• Thought the DDP was too good to be true (this was when the tip was included), he was waiting for our credit card to be charged some crazy amount
• Loves ALL rides – the more extreme the better
• Has been known to go off the beaten path to explore

We have pictures of some abandoned broken down building on (really, off) the trails between WL and FW with CHICKENS in them (???). On our honeymoon (Alaska land and sea tour), during a Pacific storm, he ventured into employee only corridors and video taped WATER shloshing around in the stairwell. The whole time on the tape he was saying “Jack”, “Rose”, “Jack”, “Rose”….Titanic was still a pretty new movie

(yes this is from WDW, and yes, that is a chicken and notice the sign says VIRUS STUDY!! We didn't catch anything so I guess we are okay)

• Loves seeing Disney through his son’s eyes and seeing me enjoy it too

Gabriel~ the son/SUN and love of our lives
• Turned 8 this year
• LOVES the Winnie the Pooh ride but is very afraid that he will be consumed by the “prickers and thorns” at the bottom of Splash Mountain
• Swims like a FISH
• Has high functioning Autism (Google for tons of Autism information)

We are all Park Hoppers and Water Park fans!

Where/When we have been

WL May 2007~First Family Trip ~ LOVED every single thing about this trip

SSR/CSR May 2008~Brought the MIL ~ Everything the first trip wasn’t! Gabriel was sick the first couple days, then I got a horrible sinus infection, it was HOT, it was CROWDED, it wasn’t the WL.

Where/When we are going
POP September 4th – 9th 2009 ~ Celebrating our 10 yr Anniversary 9/4 and my b-day on the 8th

Up next…..our itinerary!

We will arrive Friday but won’t hit a Disney Park until Sunday night or maybe even Monday!

Bear with me on the pictures.....I am at work and this is the only one I have on my PC I hope to add lots more as we go

~INDEX~
Itinerary Part 1
Itinerary Part 2
Disney Gear
Added an ADR
My mom's new baby
Last trip to the shore for the summer
More purchases
Misc. pre trip chat
Who gets lost in a parking lot and other misc. chatter
Ohhhh, that's what you look like!
Finally ~ Body Glide
OMG ~ something Shiny ~ maybe
Pics of first family trip

Trip Report Started! - Curse YOU indoor plumbing!!

Last edited by Gabrielsbigtrip; 09-12-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: ~Added an INDEX~
Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Hi Carol! What a great start to your PTR! I know how nerve-wracking it can be to write your first, I'm still on my first PTR too

You'll be at WDW just before us - we're going Sept. 12-20, staying at ASMu I'm sorry we'll miss you there, you and your family sound like a lot of fun!

Can't wait to read more!
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
deslynnpatterson
we will be married for 5 years:) and will be spending it in disney:)

i am in and enjoying reading already we are also going in sept but from sept 10-20th so we will just miss you also I can't wait to read more!!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

AHHH - I figured the Multi quote thingy out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
Hi Carol! What a great start to your PTR! I know how nerve-wracking it can be to write your first, I'm still on my first PTR too

You'll be at WDW just before us - we're going Sept. 12-20, staying at ASMu I'm sorry we'll miss you there, you and your family sound like a lot of fun!

Can't wait to read more!
I will have to check your PTR out. My hubby just doesn't get what I have my nose in all night

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslynnpatterson View Post
i am in and enjoying reading already we are also going in sept but from sept 10-20th so we will just miss you also I can't wait to read more!!
OOOO - Steeler Country.....I am in RAVEN Country Hope you still keep reading We have friends in Jeannette and we we there last weekend. We went through Western MD and then up 119. It was a very pretty ride.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
arilvdc
Mouseketeer

Great start! I loved the "Jack" "Rose" thing your hubby did, sounds like my SO. I can't wait to read more.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Itinerary-part 1

So, first off let me say that we did not plan on going to DW this year. The trip we had in 2008 was soooo bad that we were kind of soured. None of the badness was Disney’s fault, just things were so perfect the first trip and in the words of Borat “Not So MAAAACH” with the second trip.

We had wanted to do something special for our 10 year Anniversary and my 40th b-day. There was no way we would afford reliving our Honeymoon. When I saw Free Dining come out it got me thinking…….if we stayed in a Value??? Could we???

Well, Southwest had airfare for $49 both ways….how could we not?? (I think this dancing guy is the funniest thing!)

I had researched a ton about PC and it looks so fun. I am a bit worried about my husband not liking it. I should have never booked our first trip Deluxe.

This is what we have planned the first three days:

Friday - Arriving at POP and exploring the resort…then heading over to AKL for Dinner at Boma.

No parks Friday.

Saturday we are doing something…dare I say it?…..NOT Disney! I thought with it being a holiday weekend the parks may be extra crowded and it may be EXTRA HOT being September.

I reserved three spots for us at Discovery Cove!! They only book a certain amount of guests so I can’t be crowded. We get to stay in the water all day if it’s sweltering AND we get to swim with the Dolphins. Plus they give you breakfast, lunch and free admission to Sea World(Well, they don't give it to you, it's included in the admission, I should say). It’s very expensive but the money we don’t spend by staying at a Value and the free dining allowed me to add it to the budget.

I thought of maybe planning a quick park that evening or even an ADR at a resort but I have a feeling we may be too pooped after all day swimming/snorkeling.

Sunday we were planning to go to Sea World. I really can’t see us spending the entire day there because Gabriel has a hard time sitting through the shows as well as the noise. I know I should invest in some noise canceling headphones.

Dinner at Ohana's and then Magic Kingdom that night for(EMH).

Has anyone ever been Labor Day weekend? I was trying to plan most Waterparks/Parks for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
arilvdc
Mouseketeer

Discovery Cove sounds sooooo cool! I'm jealous, make sure you get a waterproof case for your camera or a waterproof disposable one so I can live vicariously through you. :P
Old 07-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Itinerary Part 2

Monday ~ I am not sure of but I think we will do a Water Park (BB) and then go back to the resort and then hit HS.

Tuesday~My b-day we will be having breakfast at Crystal Palace before park opens. I will be getting the gift card and hopefully applying it to the painting I have in my signature. Our first visit to WDW I gave my husband a break from riding Winnie the Pooh the 100th time. He went into the Castle gift shop. When he met back up with us he was so excited and said he wanted me to go into the shop and see if I could figure out what painting had him all smiles. Well, I go in and everything is beautiful in there but I find my eyes drawn to these magical paintings and one of them looks JUST like our son (the one below). I almost cried. I am hoping that just maybe they may have a special on it when we are there

Anyway - after enjoying the MK for the morning/day we will catch the monorail over to Epcot for our Dinner ADR at Le Cellier This is our first time there so I hope it's all that people say it is

Wednesday ~ now this day is up in the air....but what I have planned right now is our ADR at Boma for breakfast and then going to AK for the morning. We have to catch our plan that afternoon so we don't have a ton of time. I was wondering if I should try to make a dinner reservation somewhere Monday instead of doing breakfast (even though I love it) so we have more time for AK. I will have to think about this one.

Up next....Disney Gear

May 2007 ~ WL
May 2008 ~ SSR/CSR
September 2009 ~ POP

My Very 1st Pre Trip Report

Curse YOU indoor plumbing!! ~ Sept 2009 Trip Report ~
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Hi Carol!

I'm thrilled that you decided to do a PTR.... but don't you know you're supposed to start these things at least six months in advance??

Our first WDW trip was in hot, sticky September and I have two words for you:

Body. Glide.

Kathy
Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
mommyof2Pirates
DIS Veteran

joining in and excited to hear all about your plans. My DS 4 has a fear of loud noises. He is slowly getting better as he is getting older but for a while he would not use restrooms other than at a house for the fear of the loud flush. He hated fireworks, and when we took him to his first baseball game he got really upset when everyone would cheer loud. He now loves the games and for the most part no longer has to hold his ears to flush the toilets. We got him the sound lowering ear phones which have let him enjoy fireworks up front and center. I saw you mentioned about getting some for your son. If you find that there are loud things that really bother him you may want to give the headphones a shot. Did you have any tips on rides to be careful about with a child sensitive to loud noises?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Hi Carol!

I'm thrilled that you decided to do a PTR.... but don't you know you're supposed to start these things at least six months in advance??

Our first WDW trip was in hot, sticky September and I have two words for you:

Body. Glide.

Kathy

I'm not nearly intersting enough to start that far in advance
Where is the best place to get Body Glide? I think I read I could pick some up at Dick's in the bike section???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2Pirates View Post
joining in and excited to hear all about your plans. My DS 4 has a fear of loud noises. He is slowly getting better as he is getting older but for a while he would not use restrooms other than at a house for the fear of the loud flush. He hated fireworks, and when we took him to his first baseball game he got really upset when everyone would cheer loud. He now loves the games and for the most part no longer has to hold his ears to flush the toilets. We got him the sound lowering ear phones which have let him enjoy fireworks up front and center. I saw you mentioned about getting some for your son. If you find that there are loud things that really bother him you may want to give the headphones a shot. Did you have any tips on rides to be careful about with a child sensitive to loud noises?
Hi...your son sounds exactly like mine with noises! While I said our first trip (he was 5) was perfect, I knew we wouldn't be able to do most shows and fireworks were out of the question. I brought ear plugs for him but did not have them in when we walked by the show going on at the castle and these loud booms went off right as we passing by They scared ME so my son was even more jumpy.

He is getting better every year and last year we were able to actually watch Wishes (even if it was from the train station at the entrance of MK).

Tips I have for rides if you know your child is sensitive to loud noises? Well, I guess the biggest tip would be really research the rides and ride them yourself first if you can.

We made the mistake of taking Gabriel on It's Tough to Be a Bug I had even researched that it was intense but we just didn't think it would be THAT bad. He REALLY freaked out. He also had a hard time with the Figment ride in Epcot.

I couldn't even get him on the Nemo ride because of the #@!#$ BIRDS in front of it "Mine, Mine, Mine".

Absolutely do not do Dinosaur with him or ride that one first and see if you think he would like it. I have read that some kids love it. Gabriel would become one of the apparitions over at the haunted mansion is he had to endure that ride

We haven't done Fantasmic or Illuminations and may try those this time. I just don't want to sit and wait an hour and then have him freak out and have to leave.

I have to continually tell my husband (Mr. Adventure) not to push Gabriel too hard. He wants a roller coaster buddy so badly but I want him to take is slow. I would rather have him do it at his own pace than have him hate them forever.

I really can't wait to see how he experiences the parks this time

May 2007 ~ WL
May 2008 ~ SSR/CSR
September 2009 ~ POP

Old 08-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Disney Gear!

What would planning a Disney World trip be like without discussing the most posted question on these boards?

Best Bag?

Now back in 2006 I scoured the boards for the perfect bag. I chose the Overland Donner. It really is a great bag. I chose blah brown so it would go with everything. You can get really good deals on them now.

I had ordered a back pack for Peter when he traveled to Estonia (next to Russia) for a family reunion. He LOVES that thing.

I didn’t want anything that big and since he carries that - I can load him down with things that I don’t need to carry.

This year I wanted to look for something small but not too small. Here is what I chose:

I hope I like it! It was only 19.99 from Ebags.

Best Shoes?

Can I just say that I absolutely am a bit grossed out by feet and I really don’t like flip flops or sandals on men. I needed to get my adventurer out of his hiking boots as I knew his feet would melt in Disney. I decided on these:

Keens Newport H2

He loves these too. I am so glad when my never ending researching pays off.

I then got these for Gabriel:

These are his second pair and what I normally do for him is shop the sales for bigger sizes for the following year.

These are just the best shoes!

Anyway, I got myself a pair but did not get the H2 version. I got the leather ones. I love them but I wanted something that could get soaked and not get so stinky. I just ordered these:

I also will be bringing these which are very comfy:

Crocs ~Canvas Capri

Once I get the bag ~ I will let you know just what I can fit inside

May 2007 ~ WL
May 2008 ~ SSR/CSR
September 2009 ~ POP

Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

Added an ADR

So, it is a bit hard trying to plan this trip because I am wondering if it's going to be unbearably hot. If so, I wonder how hungry we will actually be?

I plan on using my snack credits for Frozen anythings. Frozen Coke sounds right up my alley

We love the Water Parks and may end up doing them every day if it is.

On Monday I had tenatively planned Blizzard Beach/back to POP and then head to HS (EMH). I didn't make any ADR's this day.

We ate at 50's Prime Time our first trip and the food was very good. I made that reservation very late in the evening and we weren't in the best of moods Especially for all the "come on and clean you plate" stuff.

Well, I tried getting dinner there or Sci Fi and couldn't get anything around 7pm.

I think there is boat service to Epcot so I made an ADR @7 at Le Chefs De France.

Anyone have dinner there lately??

May 2007 ~ WL
May 2008 ~ SSR/CSR
September 2009 ~ POP

Old 08-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
KathyRN137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielsbigtrip View Post
Where is the best place to get Body Glide? I think I read I could pick some up at Dick's in the bike section???

We haven't done Fantasmic or Illuminations and may try those this time. I just don't want to sit and wait an hour and then have him freak out and have to leave.

Body Glide.... all the sporting goods stores stock it and even some of the big drug stores.

Ditto on the ear plugs... we get ours at Walgreens!

Great advice you gave about Dinosaur... even I won't ride that without ear plugs!

I say, give the nighttime spectaculars a try! With ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones he should be fine! Also, we always sit way up in the back for Fantasmic, not just b/c of the noise but because of the FIRE on the lake! (Also makes it easier to exit the theater at the end!)

Kathy
Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
KathyRN137

Quote:

I hope I like it! It was only 19.99 from Ebags.

I also will be bringing these which are very comfy:

Crocs ~Canvas Capri

Those look great!
Always good to bring more than one pair of footwear...

Quote:

I think there is boat service to Epcot so I made an ADR @7 at Le Chefs De France.

Anyone have dinner there lately??
Sorry... I'm no help at all with this... we've never eaten here.

Boat service from DHS to Epcot? I think you may have to make a stop at one of the Epcot area resorts (Boardwalk or Beach Club) and make a transfer, if I'm not mistaken. For some reason, I don't remember direct boat service between the two parks...

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: