Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #76
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
Thanks for the update...love your Sanaa review. We are not planning on going there for the next trip but if I show my husband the pictures you have shared...he want me to add it (he loves curry). He loved Jiko on our last trip (we ate there twice). I'm enjoying your review so much and can't wait for more.
I had really wanted to try Jiko but we just were not dressed for it and I wasn't in a "fancy" kind of mood. Sanaa is a good alternative if you just don't want a signature restaurant. I will (hopefully) have more reviews up today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Interesting review! I am intrigued where you got the best burger... My guess would be from room service!
No - not room service. Honestly, when I tell you where, you'll be like, "Oh of course!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I would pretty mmuch agree with your review of B&C - we had a nice meal there one evening when staying at Boardwalk Villas - but it wasn't that great that I would have gone out of my way for it. The ice-cream sundaes are nice too but I prefer Ghirardellis
Yeah - it was nice, it was convenient and if I was in the area, sure but I see people saying things like, "So how can I use Disney transportation to get from All Star Movies on my non park day to the Beach Club so I can have lunch at Beaches and Cream" I just don't think it's worth it if you need to put out that kind of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongirlof12 View Post
I love your reviews. Your birthday cake looked so good! Happy Birthday honey!( ok it's a bit late)
Sanaa food looks yummmmY!
Thanks for the birthday wishes - Sanaa was really great and a nice treat since I don't get to enjoy Indian food as often as I like.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #77
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Just caught up on your great reviews, looking forward to reading more.

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #78
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Just read your brilliant reviews, how refreshing not to read the reviews based on same old ADRs (which I'm always guilty of). Some of the drinks look drool-worthy.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #79
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky166 View Post
Just caught up on your great reviews, looking forward to reading more.
Thanks - I'm working on the California Grill now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Just read your brilliant reviews, how refreshing not to read the reviews based on same old ADRs (which I'm always guilty of). Some of the drinks look drool-worthy.
The DxDDP does give you a sense of freedom when choosing restaurants and meals - there are enough credits that even if you "waste" 1 or 2 on places you're not sure you like, it's okay because there is always another sit down meal around the corner.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #80
PrincessTrisha

California Grill

I was able to secure this ADR just a week before we left – it was earlier than I hoped for (6:30) but I knew if we wanted to, we could always return to the restaurant to view the fireworks.

We were seated at a table for 4 near the open kitchen. I think I would have preferred a quieter table – one of the servers kept putting their water pitcher on the counter behind me and for some reason that really bothered me. The table was okay for us but if I was there with my spouse or on a special evening, it would have put a damper on things because there were always servers / chefs / etc on the other side of the counter, talking – chattering, etc.

Anyways, I had tried to order another one of the Magical Star Cocktails but the California Grill does not use the standard drink menu. Even though I was trying to order an alcoholic beverage, my server was suggesting several specialty non alcoholic beverages. I ordered a virgin pina colada. It was good but I missed the rum

Cindy had water with lemon for her dinner drink. (sorry no pic - please insert imagination here).

This was the hardest menu to choose from for the appetizer - I wanted them all - a flat bread, a sushi, a soup and the lobster risotto.

I ended up going with the flat bread and was very happy with my selection. It was lamb, feta, tomatoes, pine nuts and tzaziki sauce. Imagine the best Greek food you've ever eaten, diced up, placed on top of a thin crispy crust and baked. This was an excellent choice - very flavourful and with good textures (some crisp, some soft, some chewy, some melty).

I could see coming here (without the DxDDP) and sharing a few flatbreads, some sushi and an appetizer or two but skipping the entrees.

Cindy ordered the spicy Kazan roll. She looked at the plate and was impressed but noticed that there was no little dip of wasabi sauce on the plate. She looked for the server to ask for some but I recommended trying it first. After one bite she realized that it didn't need extra wasabi! She literally cleaned this plate - every bit of the crunch, sushi and cucumber salad was gone. The only thing remaining was the ginger since she doesn't like that at all.

Entrees were harder to choose. I wasn't feeling the steak which our server recommended. I decided to go with a fish. I ordered the grouper which is a nice meaty white fish. The sides appealed to me. This was excellent. It was seared on the outside with a nice crust which kept the fish moist. It was served with gnoochi with bacon and endame. The gnoochi was very tender with the bacon added a good saltiness to the dish. I ate about 2/3 of the fish before I was full. Because it is a "meaty" fish, I find it's very filling. Cindy finished up the remaining bit.

Cindy ordered the salmon. She had to peel the skin off the top before eating. So she scrapped the sauce or topping to the side, removed the skin and then put the topping back on the fish. Other than the skin issue, she loved this. I'm not entirely sure what here sides was but I do believe she ate most of it.

Dessert was tough - not because there were too many good choices but because there wasn't anything that appealed to me . I had thought of the valhona chocolate cake but they changed the ice cream to cherry (I don't like) and it seemed that most of the dessert menus had something or other that I just didn't like or couldn't eat (I am allergic to honey). I ended up ordering the modern take on banana cream pie. I wasn't impressed. There were three parts to the dessert - part one was a Meringue - which is based egg whites. Very blah. The second part were three little biscotti on chocolate - these I enjoyed, there were like ginger snaps almost. I scrapped up the chocolate using the cookies and enjoyed the three of them. The creme brulee was not good. It was very shallow and mushy - if I had to guess, I'd say that it didn't set properly. It was more like pudding or mashed bananas than creme brulee. And because the dish was so shallow the brulee part overwhelmed everything. It ended up far too thick on the little dish.

Cindy ate the creme brulee. She said, "You know what your problem is, you're just not a dessert connesour, you only like chocolate." saying it like chocolate was a bad word! She's lucky we weren't sitting by the window because after that comment, she would have been on her way 15 floors down out the window!

Cindy ordered the trio of no sugar added desserts. Her least favourite was the cheesecake and her most favourite was the one with the strawberries.

With dessert, she had tea and I had coffee.

It was a lovely meal and would certainly return here. One thing though, they tell you, oh - 500 times or so - that you can return to the restaurant to watch the fireworks, you need only bring back your receipt. The person checking us in told us, the hostess upstairs told us, our server told us, another server told us, coming out of the bathroom someone else told us, Cindy was taking pictures someone else told us. By the end of the night I wanted to scream, "I know, I know, keep the receipt and come back to watch the fireworks!".
Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #81
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Another great review update, I've never been to California Grill...would highly recommend it (we would go for an early dinner b/c of DS4). We weren't planning it for our next trip but I heard they are offering free dinning and we will probably upgrade to Deluxe since I need the room service part for my son

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #82
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

That flatbread looked delicious. And, considering they were no sugar, that trip of desserts looked pretty good too
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #83
DLo
DIS Veteran

appreciate you taking the time to review and take pics. We are staying at bc in oct for the first time. can't wait. we will be eating cape may b'fast on our last day. (for the same reasons you mentioned - staying there and just have to go downstairs) my ds11 loved b&c last trip and it is one of the reasons we are staying at bc this trip. stayed at poly last year so not easy to get back there. we went after am emh at ds last time. (got there when it opened so no wait) I like how you give your opinion on wether the place is worth getting to ,etc.
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
DLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #84
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

I can't wait for the rest of your reviews!! I check every day for your updates. I"m staying at the BC and plan to get room service while there, so I cannot wait especially for your other room service reviews.

Thanks so much!!!

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #85
allshookup
Anymore singalongs and this tag is the first to go

Excellent reviews! Just wanted to let you know that they do seasonally change the icecream with the Valrhona chocolate cake, but you can ask for another flavor of icecream & sauce & they will gladly substitute. DH & I have very simple tastes so we usually substitute potatoes for our sides with no problem & one time when I asked if I could have another flavor of icecream with my Valrhona chocolate, the waiter rolled his eyes & said, "I suppose you want vanilla icecream & chocolate sauce?" "Well yes I do!" But it was all tongue n' cheek & he was actually chuckling.

allshookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #86
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
Another great review update, I've never been to California Grill...would highly recommend it (we would go for an early dinner b/c of DS4). We weren't planning it for our next trip but I heard they are offering free dinning and we will probably upgrade to Deluxe since I need the room service part for my son
It was a lovely restaurant - I would highly recommend this place to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
That flatbread looked delicious. And, considering they were no sugar, that trip of desserts looked pretty good too
I was very surprised by the "no sugar added" desserts throughout the resort. They were pretty spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLo View Post
appreciate you taking the time to review and take pics. We are staying at bc in oct for the first time. can't wait. we will be eating cape may b'fast on our last day. (for the same reasons you mentioned - staying there and just have to go downstairs) my ds11 loved b&c last trip and it is one of the reasons we are staying at bc this trip. stayed at poly last year so not easy to get back there. we went after am emh at ds last time. (got there when it opened so no wait) I like how you give your opinion on wether the place is worth getting to ,etc.
There are just so many great places in Disney that I feel that those places that require extra effort to get to, need to be worth the extra effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
I can't wait for the rest of your reviews!! I check every day for your updates. I"m staying at the BC and plan to get room service while there, so I cannot wait especially for your other room service reviews.

Thanks so much!!!
Room service dinner #1 should be up soon. But the reviews will get pretty repetitive since we started ordering many of the same things from room service (they were just that good!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by allshookup View Post
Excellent reviews! Just wanted to let you know that they do seasonally change the icecream with the Valrhona chocolate cake, but you can ask for another flavor of icecream & sauce & they will gladly substitute. DH & I have very simple tastes so we usually substitute potatoes for our sides with no problem & one time when I asked if I could have another flavor of icecream with my Valrhona chocolate, the waiter rolled his eyes & said, "I suppose you want vanilla icecream & chocolate sauce?" "Well yes I do!" But it was all tongue n' cheek & he was actually chuckling.
I wish I had asked for the different flavour of ice cream (I thought about it) I hesitate to ask for substitutions at "fancy" restaurants since I know the chef takes special care about flavours matching and mixing etc.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #87
PrincessTrisha

On Tuesday I didn't eat much. I had some of the leftovers from the room service on Sunday and a lovely little treat from the beachclub marketplace

This was a coconut bar - it had coconut, nuts, chocolate chips, a chocolate drizzle and a cookie crust. It was goooooooood. I used my last 3 snack credits on the last day to get some for the way home.

Cindy went off to the Animal Kingdom that day. We're not used to travelling together so by this point we needed some time apart before causing harm to one another.

She used two dining credits on her own. (no pictures sorry)

She used one in the morning for a yogurt parfait, a coconut bar (not the one pictured above) and two drinks because "the woman at the counter told me to". Yes - an entire dxddp credit used on less than $12 food. What a waste!

For lunch she had the Hot Italian Style Sandwich and brought the chips back to the room. When I asked if she got a dessert she said "Yes" but didn't say what. She liked the sandwich though and remembered that I had recommended it when she had gone to Disney last September.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #88
PrincessTrisha

Room Service #2 dinner

We had reservations for the Flying Fish tonight at 7:30. When Cindy wasn't back to the room by 7:10, I called and cancelled.

She came back to the room at 7:40pm just as I was on the phone ordering dinner.

Cindy had the crab cake for her appetizer. It tasted good - lots of crab with very little filler but there was only 1 on the plate and it was $13. I'm thinking someone was hungry on the way up and decided to snatch one or two of these.

I ordered the shrimp cocktail. This came with 6 large, firm shrimp. These were so good. I had 4 and Cindy had 2 (I had to have mercy on her after I saw the crab cake). On the dxddp, this is a good deal since it's $15 and tastes really good and it's large enough to share.

For her entree Cindy ordered the chicken dish which came with pearl pasta in a mushroom sauce. She loved this. The chicken was crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and the pasta with sauce was amazing. The vegetables on top were zuchini and yellow zuchini (not sure what the real name of it is but that's what it tastes like) and were cooked nicely and were a great change from "regular" vegetables.

I ordered the filet mignon - partly because it was one of the most expensive dishes and partly because I do love steak. It came with a baked potato and really great mixed vegetables - again the zuchini's but also red peppers and portebello mushroom slices (so good). The steak was cooked perfectly and was well seasoned with salt and pepper on the outside. This dish was a real winner all around. Even the potato was great with the salt incrusted jacket, the little tub of butter and sour cream - mmmm. This was one of my favourite meals of the trip.

For drinks I got a can of diet coke and cindy ordered bottled water. it was a tall plastic bottle of Evian - another great thing to order with room service on the dxddp.

And again a view of our table

Desserts were berries and cream for Cindy and Chocolate Portifole for me. These were good but we were so stuffed we ate them much later in the evening while watching a lifetime network movie of the week. The berries and cream was a cup of berries in sauce with a foamy / creamy white layer on top. The chocolate portifole was chocolate choupaste with chocolate mouse filling covered with chocolate with whipped cream on top. It sounds like it would be super chocolately but it wasn't. The choupaste tasted very plain and the chocolate on top was a generic kind of coating chocolate (not very sweet or creamy like milk chocolate) so the chocolate mousse filling really stood out.

Overall this was a great meal and well worth the two credits per person spent.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #89
Tink_Or_Belle
Want to come to my High Meat party?
I'd hate to be Glazin Raisin

My kids and I love your review we are staying at beach club for the 1st time this year and they want to do in room dining. We are trying to imagine what our tables will look like with 5 people on the deluxe plan? you think the food will all fit? maybe we will do a breakfast to avoid appetizers and desserts all over the room if there are 5 in our room do we have to order for 5 ? maybe we could order 2 adult meals and 1 kids meal and share?
Tink_Or_Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #90
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the lovely update. With the free dinning and then upgrading to Deluxe...I can't seem to settle on the resort, my choice for tonight is BC, CR or BLT (I was thinking of WL but my husband refuses to try that resort and I want to try every resort). I keep asking him and he said I thought he said we are staying at the Swan (which he loves b/c of the price, location and heavenly bed) but I told him with free dinning in the long run we save a few hundred dollars. So I'm driving him crazy and he doesn't want to go now but I'm still going and maybe invite my mom so I was thinking of BC or YC but I haven't done my research yet,

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: