Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #61
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Thanks for the review!! How intersting that you liked Nine Dragons. The food looked very good! Most people don't like it at all... So it's nice to see a good review inbetween!

My sister actually suggested to go there and I was already prepared to talk her out of it, but perhaps I shouldn't...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #62
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Gotta love room service - the pleasure of getting to eat great food but without having to a) cook or b) leave your room
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #63
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

My son loves room service (my husband complains that I'm training my son at a very young age)...when we arrive at our Disney resort, I usually order room service (so while waiting for food I can unpack). Sometimes, when my son gets too tired from his day at the park...he'll say can we have room service and chill in the room. I guess we let him eat dinner and watch tv (he can only do that on vacation). Last trip, we check in and I said lets walk around and get CS at AKL and he said no mommy what about my room service? Can't wait to read your yummy reviews.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #64
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

LOVE your reviews. When can we expect another one? No pressure!

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #65
Lizboo
DIS Veteran

I am also loving your reviews.

December 2012 Wilderness Lodge/September 2012CBR/September 2011 Riverside/August 2011 DLP Kyriad/
September 2010 Wilderness Lodge/August 2010 Grand Californian/December 2009 All Star Movies/
Oct 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter/Sept 2008 Port Orleans Riverside/Sept 2007 Carribean Beach Resort
May 2006 ASMovies/ASMusic/May 2000 -2005 Offsite
Lizboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #66
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Thanks for the review!! How intersting that you liked Nine Dragons. The food looked very good! Most people don't like it at all... So it's nice to see a good review inbetween!

My sister actually suggested to go there and I was already prepared to talk her out of it, but perhaps I shouldn't...
This was the sleeper restaurant of the trip - I wasn't expecting great things (just something edible - and at least a yummy dessert) but it was quite wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Gotta love room service - the pleasure of getting to eat great food but without having to a) cook or b) leave your room
Sometimes you just want food, and you want someone to bring it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
My son loves room service (my husband complains that I'm training my son at a very young age)...when we arrive at our Disney resort, I usually order room service (so while waiting for food I can unpack). Sometimes, when my son gets too tired from his day at the park...he'll say can we have room service and chill in the room. I guess we let him eat dinner and watch tv (he can only do that on vacation). Last trip, we check in and I said lets walk around and get CS at AKL and he said no mommy what about my room service? Can't wait to read your yummy reviews.
Growing up we never ordered room service (I'm not sure we ever stayed anywhere that offered room service) but now that I'm an adult, it is one of my top 10 things to do (ever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
LOVE your reviews. When can we expect another one? No pressure!
This morning And thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizboo View Post
I am also loving your reviews.
Glad to have you aboard.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #67
PrincessTrisha

Sanaa

I originally had reservations for Jiko this night - but I just wasn't "feeling it" - we had gone out shopping and neither of us was dressed up (we were in shorts and t shirts) so we decided to see if we could get into Sanaa.

It was a 5 minute wait so no problem (we were earlier than our Jiko reservation so I thought, worse case scenario, if we can't get into Sanaa, we'll go over to the main building and enjoy Jiko). The hostess couldn't believe that I was cancelling Jiko for Sanaa - she said, "I think it's the first time I've ever heard of anyone cancelling there for here? Are you sure?"

We were seated at a table for two in the middle of the restaurant - we could see the windows but were not too close to them.

Our server Giovanni was training another server this evening so things were a little odd - it felt very crowded when the two of them kind of surrounded our table of two but our main server was very knowledgeable about the menu and his trainee was a very pleasant woman who had worked as a hostess since the restaurant opening.

to start with we had the bread service (recommended by Giovanni) with the Naan, Roti and Paneer Paratha for the breads and the Mango Lime Chutney (hot), the cucumber Raiba (cool) and the red pepper hummus (we knew we'd like).

This was a very pleasant starter - I had wanted to order one hot and one cool dip to balance each other and they were both very good.

For the other starter we ordered the scallops - not only did our server recommend them, but I had read many good reviews of them on the DIS boards so I really wanted to try them.

These were better than the one's at Yachtsmen steakhouse (mainly because of the sauce and the mustard seeds) After Cindy ate one of the scallops - she was like, "those little black things on top are so good - please tell me they're not fish eggs (i.e. cavier)".

For entrees, we both ordered off the slow cooked menu so that we got to try all 6 things (shrimps in green curry, chicken in red curry, beef short ribs, spinach with paneer cheese, basmati rice and 5 grain rice pilaf). There wasn't a bad dish in the bunch! I was a little hesitant over the spinach and paneer cheese but it was a pleasant surprise - the cheese is in little white chunks and reminded me more of tofu than anything else (it doesn't melt in the hot dish but stayed in chunks). Cindy had never had red or green curry (only yellow - which she loves) but she found that she really enjoys both of them. The beef ribs are good - as long as you like braised meats - they were well cooked and seasoned.

And then on to dessert:

We again went with one of the servers suggestions (the dessert sampler) and one that was recommended on the DIS boards (the chai cream)

The chai cream was fantastic! If you like chai lattes, you have to try this - smooth, sweet and creamy.

The dessert sampler was three small desserts:

The first one was the Mango mousse which was the favourite of the three - it was like creme brulee without the brulee part. And it tasted like fresh fruit not mango flavouring.

the chocolate cake thing was kind of dry and stiff. We didn't finish it. I can see though if you have kids and want to share a dessert, this would be good because it's kind of like a chocolate brownie, and they'd probably like it which you could enjoy the other stuff

And last was the orange Cardamom-butter cake. At first taste, I wasn't too crazy about this but I ended up eating it all (after Cindy had a bite but really, she was too busy polishing off the chai cream - I would have been taking my life in my hands to wrestle that away from her). The flavour seemed familar to me but I still can't place it. It was a dense cake but with a light flavour. It was rather addicting.

For drinks I had a diet coke during dinner (Cindy had water) and then with dessert, Cindy ordered the Mango Rooibos tea. She loved the little pot it came in and looked to see if they sold them in the gift shop (they don't). The tea smelled wonderful.

I think what I liked best about this meal was that we ate a lot of different things without eating too much of any one thing. It was like sampling at a buffet without having to get up.

I'm glad I ate here with Cindy because I know that my parents would not enjoy the diverse flavours of most of the food. If you're not adventerous, I wouldn't try this restaurant. If you're a little adventurous or like diverse flavours, I can highly recommend Sanaa. It was a "different" disney experience.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 07-18-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #68
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Great Sanaa review! We are thinking about trying it next year - we are a little bit adventurous, we like to eat curries etc. at home - the food looks delicious!

We too have looked at Jiko - but decided instead of using up two dining credits to try Sanaa - where the food appeals to us just as much!
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #69
Flossbolna

thanks for the Sanaa review. We are planning to stay at AKL and are wondering whether we need to eat three evenings at the hotel. Really looks like it, I really neither want to miss Boma or Jiko!

I was wondering about the bread service starter. Do you know wether they serve any bread with the meal if you don't order it?

One tip regarding dishes you like. I am from a town that has a number of china factories, especially one specializing in china for restaurants, so I learned to look at the bottom of nearly every plate I am served at a restaurant, to see wether it might be from home! I guess that would work with the teapot as well and then you would know the brand to search for on the internet!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #70
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Great Sanaa review! We are thinking about trying it next year - we are a little bit adventurous, we like to eat curries etc. at home - the food looks delicious!

We too have looked at Jiko - but decided instead of using up two dining credits to try Sanaa - where the food appeals to us just as much!
It was certainly one of the more "upscale" 1 credit restaurants (in terms of food & atomsphere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
thanks for the Sanaa review. We are planning to stay at AKL and are wondering whether we need to eat three evenings at the hotel. Really looks like it, I really neither want to miss Boma or Jiko!

I was wondering about the bread service starter. Do you know wether they serve any bread with the meal if you don't order it?

One tip regarding dishes you like. I am from a town that has a number of china factories, especially one specializing in china for restaurants, so I learned to look at the bottom of nearly every plate I am served at a restaurant, to see wether it might be from home! I guess that would work with the teapot as well and then you would know the brand to search for on the internet!
We didn't receive any other bread, nor do I recall see bread baskets on any other table. They kind of pushed the bread service (not only was it mentioned to use but other tables seated around us, I heard different servers really recommend it).

Thanks for the tip about checking the bottom - I'm sure if I look around a houseware store those pots are available. What she like was the infuser for the loose tea leaves was a little open basket that sat in the pot but it poured like a regular tea pot - it steeped quickly and poured easily with no stray leaves.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #71
PrincessTrisha

This morning we got up and hung around the pool. The weather was nice – hot and humid but overcast (which is beneficial for my pale, pale skin). We didn’t have breakfast this morning so we were both ready for lunch at 12 noon. Since we were at the hotel and I had heard great things, we decided to eat at Beaches and Cream. They start taking names around 11:40 – 11:45 so if you want to eat when they open, I recommend being there a little before 12 noon.

We were seated at one of the little round tables. People always comment about how small this place is but you just don’t get it until you’re sitting in there. Even going in to the “To Go” window, you don’t get the real picture of how small it is. I think there is 3 or 4 booths, 4 or 5 tables and the counter and that’s it. I’d be surprised if they could seat more than 35 people at a time.

For my meal I ordered the onion rings, the burger with swiss cheese and the Milky Way Sundae. I have to admit I stuck with what has been well reviewed before (except the sundae). I almost ordered the No Way Jose but I just wasn’t in a peanut butter kind of mood – chocolate and caramel sounded much better.

The onion rings were obviously handmade – they were thick slices of onion dipped in batter and deep fried. I was able to eat most of them (Cindy had 3) because of skipping breakfast I was starving!

The burger was good – hot and fresh. I ordered the fries as my side as I was experiencing a major salt craving. After eating most of my burger, I had about 5 or 6 fries - enough to satisfy my craving. This is a good burger but not the best on Disney property (I had that later in the week – stay tuned).

The sundae was good – rich ice cream smothered with fudge and caramel and whipped cream. The bundt cake was vanilla which I didn’t expect – for some reason I was expecting a chocolate bundt cake (?this was just a weird assumption on my part?). I was only able to manage about ¼ of the sundae and most of that was the sauces (which is my favourite part).

Cindy ordered the Chili for her appetizer – it was very meaty and a large serving. She ate some of it and I had a few bites. I think if paying oop, I’d order this as my entrée. It would be filling enough and meaty enough to satisfy but still save room for dessert.

For her entrée she had something not listed on the menu instead but it was apparently on the menu outside the restaurant – it was a veggie wrap. She said the veggies were good but there was just so much “wrap”. They used a very large one and it just seemed to go around and around and around the veggies. She ordered fruit as her side and it must have been good because she ate it (I don’t remember her commenting on it at all, nor do I recall her eating it but I do remember her bowl being empty). After she was done she asked why I ordered fries since I didn’t eat any of them – so she started munching on them. I think because she didn’t eat much of the wrap (only the filling) she still had room for the extra fries.

For dessert she ordered the Frozen sunshine but made with the fat free vanilla ice cream. She had asked for no whipped cream but the waitress forgot and put it on anyways. She scrapped it off and drank / ate the rest of the orange froth. She said it was very good and tasted like a creamy creamsicle.

Our server here was okay – but we didn’t see her much – she was making most of the ice cream sundaes that day it seemed. She did bring me a refill on my diet coke without me asking but not until it had sat empty for a little while (I hadn’t had a chance to ask because she hadn’t been around).

Overall, it’s a cute place with good food and great ice cream BUT, I don’t think it’s worth a special trip if you’re not already somewhere in the area. If staying at the BC, YC or even the BWI, it’s worth it for a quick lunch, a cheap(er) dinner or just an ice cream treat. It might even be worth it if you’re done with DHS and looking for something else to do (and some food). I don’t think it’s worth a special trip where you have to figure out how to use Disney transportation to get there.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #72
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update...love your Sanaa review. We are not planning on going there for the next trip but if I show my husband the pictures you have shared...he want me to add it (he loves curry). He loved Jiko on our last trip (we ate there twice). I'm enjoying your review so much and can't wait for more.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #73
Flossbolna

Interesting review! I am intrigued where you got the best burger... My guess would be from room service!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #74
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I would pretty mmuch agree with your review of B&C - we had a nice meal there one evening when staying at Boardwalk Villas - but it wasn't that great that I would have gone out of my way for it. The ice-cream sundaes are nice too but I prefer Ghirardellis
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #75
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

I love your reviews. Your birthday cake looked so good! Happy Birthday honey!( ok it's a bit late)
Sanaa food looks yummmmY!

Last edited by irongirlof12; 07-19-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling DOH!
irongirlof12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: