Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Spoodles (dinner)

We arrived in WDW by train at the Kissimmee station, was picked up by an awesome driver (Hi Santo! ) and whisked to the Beach Club resort. After checking in, and then changing rooms (why would a deluxe resort have a room the size of a moderate, with two double beds, no balcony, no daybed, etc?). Anyways, we were hungry (although we had eaten quite well on the train) so I was glad that I had changed our dinner reservation two days before we left. I had originally booked Narcoossee’s for 8:30pm so we could finish dinner and watch the fireworks from the GF but thought that after travelling for 2 days, we might want something a little closer to “home”. I was able to snag an ADR at Spoodles for 5:20pm using the online ADR system (which BTW, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ).

We arrived at the restaurant about 10 minutes before our reservation and were given a buzzer. There were several large groups kind of milling about. There were many people who did not have an ADR. I guess the restaurant wasn’t that busy because they were taking names at the podium with about a 20 minute wait.

We arrived at our table which was set for 4. I liked having the extra space. It is a very sturdy wooden table and the restaurant itself has a very open feeling to it. As we were being seated, they pointed out the show kitchen and the hidden Mickey above it.

Our server was Daniel and he was an excellent server (details to be shared throughout the review).

Since it was our first meal on the DXDP, he explained what was included, appetizer, entrée, dessert and non alcoholic beverage which included smoothies or virgin pina coladas or daiquiris.

I ordered a diet coke with no ice and Cindy ordered a berry smoothie. She scoped the whipped cream off the top and enjoyed it very much. Next they brought out the bread which Cindy said was excellent along with the olive tapenade. She ate two pieces. I didn’t order a thick drink or eat any bread because I knew how much food was about to pass in front of us. In fact, most of the week, I didn’t try the breads because I didn’t want to fill up before getting to the good stuff.

When looking over the menus previously on Allearsnet, I had wanted to try the dips but shortly before we left, it was changed to an appetizer for two so we decided to try two separate dishes instead. For appetizers I ordered the calamari with Olive-Pepperoncini Relish and Cindy ordered the Mussels which came in a light broth. These were two dishes that Daniel our server recommended.

The Calamari had a very light and crispy batter that allowed the taste of the squid to come through. At many chain restaurants, the batter overwhelms the taste of the calamari and all you get is that deep fried taste. At Spoodles, it was perfect. The serving was quite large with a mixture of rings and legs. Some of the legs I found a little overdone (too crispy) but I just left the smaller pieces to the side. The Olive – pepperoncini relish was a mixture of olives, hot peppers, regular peppers and maybe something else (?). Where the juice from the relish touched the calamari, it was a good complementing flavour. I ate some of the relish separate from the calamari but found it too strong to eat with the squid because all I could really taste was the hot peppers. I was very happy with this choice but only ate about ½ of the serving to ensure that I would have room for the other two courses.

The mussels came in a broth which seemed very heavy on the white wine. Which is okay if you like white wine; Cindy does not. She couldn’t figure out why she didn’t really like them so she gave me one to try. The mussels themselves were excellent, they popped right out of the shell and yet, each shell in the bowl still had it’s mussel attached (I usually find when they come out so easy that you end up with a few empty shells because some where from pot to table, a few have already slipped out of the shell). She did eat about half of the serving despite not enjoying the sauce. Before taking the bowl away she counted the shells and there were 40! That was a huge serving and could have easily been a dinner in itself.

Daniel had checked on us a couple of times during the appetizers and had offered to replace the mussels with something else if Cindy wanted. After we were done, he cleared away our appetizer plates, our side plates and our used silverware. He returned a moment later with new side plates, new folded napkins and a new set of silver ware for each of us. I was quite impressed, especially since my side plate had only 1 mussel shell on it. I could understand removing Cindy’s since it was littered with 19 or 20 shells but I kind of expected him to either leave mine or dump the one shell onto Cindy’s plate but everything was replaced. He also returned with a refill on my diet coke (remembering no ice) even though I had half a glass left, and a glass of water with lemon for Cindy as her smoothie was almost gone.

Our entrees arrived about 10-12 minutes after we were done with our appetizers which I consider a good paced meal. Not too fast, and not a long lag either.

I ordered the Wood-grilled Pork Tenderloin with Gnocchi, Spinach, Mushrooms, and red Onions. Daniel stated that it was recommended that the pork be served medium. I guess I had a look of concern on my face (I was always taught that pork needs to be cooked right through) so he recommended medium well – it would have just the slightest pink centre but it would be cooked through. I agreed to that.

The funny thing is, I don’t really like pork – I mean, I like bacon and sausage of course, ribs are good too but pork tenderloin or pork chops, bleah! (and oh yes, all of these meats come from the same magical animal) And yet, that’s what I ordered – pork.

It was good. And by good, I mean it wasn’t pork like. Have you ever had a really good veal chop? - the kind that is super pale, tender and just melts in your mouth? That’s what this was like. I’m thinking there was a baby pig somewhere missing a chunk out of his hind quarter where they carved out this tender piece of meat.

And the gnocchi with spinach, mushrooms, and onions – that was like a little scoop of salty pleasure. The flavours worked so well together, I ate every bite of it. I almost wish that they served that as a pasta dish on it’s own.

Cindy had the Lemon-Garlic Shrimp Linguine. Wow! There were a dozen or so large, tender shrimps over a mound of tender linguine. The sauce was very light on the cream with a distinct lemon flavour – not bitter or sour lemon, more like a lemon drop was mixed into the sauce. It was delicious but again, a huge portion. Cindy ate what she could – everytime she would stir around the pasta, it seemed more shrimp came to the top – it was like they were procreating at the bottom of the bowl.

Full but not stuffed to the gills quite yet, we ordered dessert.

Cindy ordered the No Sugar Added Yogurt Panna Cotta. She thought this was the absolute best part of the meal. It was super creamy and she kept saying, “This can’t be no sugar added, they must have used sugar, it’s too sweet not to have real sugar in it”. She even questioned Daniel when he checked on us – he confirmed, it’s no sugar added – the sweetness comes from the mango fruit in the mango sauce.

I ordered the chocolate espresso cake. It is served on a very warm plate so the cake starts to melt a little. This was incredible. It was very rich and chocolately and had a touch of bitterness from the espresso. As a coffee drinker (and chocolate eater), I found this dessert to be perfect. If you don’t enjoy coffee though, I’m not sure you’d be happy with this dessert as there was that slight bitterness of strong, black coffee. The consistency was not like cake at all – I knew I had tasted it before but I had a difficult time remembering when. It finally hit me on the drive home to Toronto – it had the consistency of a heavy soufflé. It was thick, rich and creamy – yet you could see the air bubbles and it was a solid piece of cake (it held it’s shape when cool but the bottom melted slightly on the warm plate).

This was an excellent meal to start off the trip and I was very happy with our selections. I was actually concerned that this would be our best meal of the trip and that nothing would be quite as good. That concern was unfounded and this was the first of many wonderful meals we enjoyed.
PrincessTrisha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpndka View Post
Did you say room service? I'm in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBLULA View Post
Can't wait for your reviews!!
Welcom aboard.

I love room service - to me it is the ultimate vacation decadence.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Great review of Spoodles. I'm sorry you didn't try the bread there though, some of the breads served at some of the restaurants are really good, and Spoodles is one of them. I hope you tried the onion rolls at Yachtsman Steakhouse, they're my favorite.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Fantastic start, really enjoyed your detailed review. I've always enjoyed spoodles, and I'm disappointed it will be shut before our next trip, especcially as that chocolate cake sounds gorgeous!

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
Sept 2013 - Royal Pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #20
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpluto27 View Post
Fantastic start, really enjoyed your detailed review. I've always enjoyed spoodles, and I'm disappointed it will be shut before our next trip, especcially as that chocolate cake sounds gorgeous!
'm sad to see it go too, but I am also so looking foward to the Cat Cora restaurant.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #21
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

I also am loving your attention to detail! That chocolate cake looks so yummy
Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #22
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

great review!

I love how you describe the flavors of everything, it's very helpful.

Liz
Beauty & the Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #23
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Grat title and great start to your reviews. I am looking forward to seeing what the new Cat Cora restaurant will be like, although I'm a little sad I never got to experience Spoodles.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Great review of Spoodles. I'm sorry you didn't try the bread there though, some of the breads served at some of the restaurants are really good, and Spoodles is one of them. I hope you tried the onion rolls at Yachtsman Steakhouse, they're my favorite.
Growing up my parents owned a bakery and I owned one for about a years and a half so good bread isn't that thrilling to me - I can make my own. I did try the onion rolls at Yachtsmen though - they were very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpluto27 View Post
That cake was amazing. The server had really great things to say about the menu at the new Cat Cora place though - and they are recovering the tables and chairs as well so the restaurant itself is getting a bit of a make over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
I also am loving your attention to detail! That chocolate cake looks so yummy
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty & the Best View Post
great review!

I love how you describe the flavors of everything, it's very helpful.

Liz
I try - it's easy to just call things "good" or "very good" but for me that's not particularly helpful - it's the why its good or very good that helps me decide if I'd like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Grat title and great start to your reviews. I am looking forward to seeing what the new Cat Cora restaurant will be like, although I'm a little sad I never got to experience Spoodles.
Spoodles was a great restaurant but I too am looking forward to the new Cat Cora place.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #25
PrincessTrisha

Cape May Breakfast Buffet

So June 27th dawned bright and sunny. This was my actual date of birth (and the only restaurants I'd noted my birthday on my ADR's).

I wanted to start off my 35th birthday with a character buffet. I chose Cape May out of pure laziness. Staying at the Beach Club it was by far the easiest and quickest to get to, allowed us to sleep in a bit and didn't require me to figure out transportation to a park or other resort in the early morning.

We arrived about 5 minutes before our 9:35am ADR. The CM at the hostess desk was very nice. Her name tag read that she was from Torrano Ontario Canada. As a fellow Canadian, I asked where that was since I had never heard of it (with my job I know most of the cities and town names in Ontario). She said that she was actually from "Toronto" but that when they gave her the name tag, they had misspelled the name because they spelt it how she said it (the second "T" is often left silent in a slang sort of speech). That was a good laugh first thing in the morning (I don't know if this story translates well but it was funny at the time).

Anyhoo - we were seated at a table for two and had another great server Dorothy. I had my birthday button on and she constantly called me by name - "Is everything alright Patricia?" "Is there anything else I can get you Patricia" "You may want to wait before going up to the buffet because Donald is on his way Patricia". She was also quick to clear plates, bring refills and when I was up at the buffet, conspired with Cindy to bring me a birthday cupcake / card, timed when Donald arrived.

Character interaction was acceptable. With two single ladies, I was surprised that all of the characters made it around (though Minnie just popped by and we didn't get a picture). Donald posed for birthday pics and was there for the cupcake presentation and goofy was pretty interactive with us. Last time I was there, the chipmunks were present and I have to say - I missed them. They are just one of those sets of characters that seem to fit in anywhere.

The food was good - pretty average for a Disney breakfast buffet. There are a couple of outstanding items that were very good. One was the breakfast pizza. The crust was nice and crisp on the bottom and everything on top was cooked well, not dried out and then covered with cheese. Mmmmmm.....

The asparagus was a nice touch too. Both Cindy and I had a good helping of that.

Cindy also really appreciated the yogurt bar with toppings and the large amount of fresh fruit. I had a good deal of pineapple from there and it was sweet and ripe.

So it was a good start to the day, but not a "must do" for adults. If you're staying at the Beach Club and want a character breakfast on your off day, it's a good meal, relaxed setting, and good character interaction.

Pictures will be posted in my next post (darn photobucket, I'm having difficulty with their new loader).

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 07-09-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
PrincessTrisha

Here are some pictures:

Mickey waffle, asparagus, breakfast pizza, potatoes, bacon, frittata.

Same plate - different angle

Birthday cupcake (dry and not too good but cute and a nice thought)

2 more pieces of breakfast pizza, frittata and pineapple

Yogurt with toppings and a scoop of cottage cheese

Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Yum yum yum !!

great reviews so far

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
disneyfav4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Growing up my parents owned a bakery and I owned one for about a years and a half so good bread isn't that thrilling to me - I can make my own. I did try the onion rolls at Yachtsmen though - they were very good.
That makes sense. When I'm at home I watch my carbs, so when I get to Disney I let myself eat as much bread as I want.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #29
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I really need to remember to not read these reviews right before dinner...mmmmmmmm....
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #30
eventamy
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

We LOVED Spoodles in February and officially named it our favorite restaurant in WDW. Very sad it is changing, especially my DH.
I also had the Lemon, Shrimp Linquine and it was delicious!
Looking forward to more!
eventamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: