Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat
My Mickey waffle maker is a cheap park fix for me!
I like the scallops the best.

Just a room key?

We have a package with tickets and FD booked. I know all this will be on our room key - as well as charging priveledges. I'm wondering if we can get a key that is just a key in addition to the KTTW key? One that we could take to the pool or waterpark or laundry room and not worry about losing or having it stolen because our entire trip is encoded on it?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

The best answer I can give is that you can go to the front desk as soon as a card is lost and have a new one issued, and this process voids the lost card immediately, and you won't have to worry about the lost card being found and charged upon.

Another answer is that if you have kids in your party, you can specify that no charging privileges be allowed on their tickets. They still can get in the room and into the parks with that card, but can't charge anything on it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
MarkinNM
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

Can you get your park tickets and room keys on separate cards, do they issue park tickets anymore?
MarkinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat

The "story" is that you can't take the tickets off your key if you have th DP. Don't know if it's true, but that is what guest services told me.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsbgoofy View Post
The "story" is that you can't take the tickets off your key if you have th DP. Don't know if it's true, but that is what guest services told me.
This is because a) the CMs need to use the KTTW cards to ring you up (or subtract your number of DP vouchers you are using with each meal), and b) I believe the dining plan (free or paid) requires the purchase of at least 1 day of park tickets for each person on the DP.

This is not to say they absolutely could not do this from a system perspective (I don't know the answer to that), but I'd guess they're not going to split the tickets away because it would complicate things for the CMs and for probably the vast majority of guests who want to carry around the least amount of stuff as possible.

This all contributes to my opinion that the best option to have a card that is just a room key is to have one of the guests' cards have no-charging on it. Use this card to get around the resort, go swimming, etc. Just keep in mind you won't be able to use it to pay for drinks at the pool bar, etc. like you can with KTTW cards with charging privileges. But you will need all your KTTW cards when you go to a park.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat

I'm not trying to split the tickets away...2 adults - 3 cards - 1 of which is just a room key is what I'm thinking of. I know you can have just a room key because that is what you get if you don't purchase tickets or the DP. I'm wondering if they can just print out an extra room key. I'm going to call CSR and ask later tonight.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
darkkskyzz
Earning My Ears

Been too long!

Apparently it has been too long since I have stayed on site...from what I gather, the room keys work the same as they do on a cruise ship. You can use it sort of like a credit card.
Now, someone mentioned that the park tickets were on the keys, how does that work?
Also, can you use your keys in the parks to buy things like souviners?
---on that same note, when staying in the park and you buy things in, say, MK, do they ship it back to your room, or do you need to visit package pickup?

darkkskyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

In short? No. Why? Because there are many people who would try to do this in order to get someone a room key, to use as an ID, for EMHs and room access, without actually being on the reservation...especially with the dining plan on the reservation. For instance....there are three of you going, but you only want to pay for the two adults, not pay the extra adult in the room charge or have that third adult pay for the ddp. So...you ask for that third key, and then give it to that third, non-paying person. they can now get into EMHs, get in and out of the room.

Please...I am NOT saying anyone here is trying to do that. I am just giving you a reason that Disney will not issue you a third non-charging card. I would get one of those water wallet things that goes around your neck, and put your room key in that when you don't have your wallet or bag with you. It works very well at the pool.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Yes, that is true; everything is on your KTTW key; room key, park tickets, and credit card info, if you wish. You can also get credit card info blocked, if you have more than one person on your party, say a child you don't want using your credit card.

I don't think they will issue you another card with just the room key on it; it would be awfully expensive if everyone wanted to do that.

Also, I should let you know, if you have multiple people in your party that are not your family, then only one person can use the credit card feature. When I went with my mom a few years ago, we found that out. I just paid for everything and she paid me when we got home.

And you do have to go to the window at the resort store to pick up your packages if you have had them shipped back from the parks. Since they arrive next day, on the second to the last day of your trip, you may not ship it back to your room - since they cannot guarantee it will arrive at the store the next day before your departure. I usually find that by then, I am all shopped out!!!!

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat

Quote:
In short? No. Why? Because there are many people who would try to do this in order to get someone a room key, to use as an ID, for EMHs and room access, without actually being on the reservation...especially with the dining plan on the reservation. For instance....there are three of you going, but you only want to pay for the two adults, not pay the extra adult in the room charge or have that third adult pay for the ddp. So...you ask for that third key, and then give it to that third, non-paying person. they can now get into EMHs, get in and out of the room.

Fortunately Disney is a little more trusting than that. I called the front desk of our resort to ask and was told that would be no problem. We don't want connecting rooms with my brother's family (less chance getting the building we want), but would like to be able to access each other's rooms if need be. They will be spending a lot more time at the resort with 2 young kids, adult beverages will be in our fridge, etc. We could give them one of our KTTW keys (since charging and meals would still be on our other key that is with us), but then we wouldn't be able to get fast passes for ourselves. I also prefer not to take our key with charging, tickets, etc. to the laundry room and pool.

There are many ways to scam Disney if you really try. In our case, since the DP is free, it would make more sense to pay for a third person and get free meals for them than to get them a key to use our room and get into EMH (alone, cause we don't do them!) At some point, I guess they have to just trust people to be honest.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
TammiMcMan
Hai Majide

I've read posts here by CM's who have said that you can get an additional room key, with basically nothing on it. Disney seems to have a handle on encoding the cards, so my guess is that it wouldn't work as an ID for EMH, only for opening the door to your room.

TammiMcMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
glitzybabes
I miss VMK!!!

I asked this same question a few months back on here. I had 2 or 3 ppl say that they got a room only key with no problem.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
GOOFY26
Mouseketeer

Yes you can just ask at check-in that you would like a key only. I never had
a problem getting one.
GOOFY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #14
Letsbgoofy
Can live with dry heat

Thanks for confirming what the front desk told me. I didn't really think it was going to be a problem until I started getting negative replies.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Sorry if you took my response as a negative one. Just trying to be helpful with an open mind. I was not allowed to get an addtl card..had to hand in my old card before they would give me another card...but I guess I looked dishonest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: