Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
love2embellish
love2embellish

Got back Friday night and some observations...

We just got home Friday night late from an 8 day trip.
Weather was not hot at all. it rained some but not hard enought to even bother us. We wore ponchos 2 days for a few minutes each day only.
We went to all parks several times and did early morning hours mostly there. We would go back to a different park at night. Crowds were not bad either time except one night at EPCOT. We walked right on to several big ones several times. It was way less crowded than we expected since we have been in the summer several times before.
We swam a lot at our pool (POP). Our hotel was great as usual. Clean, quiet and not too crowded. We rented sea raycers one day around the lagoon and that was lots of fun. We got some great pictures. Rode the monorail, boats, and buses every day.
We toured several hotels and ate all over the world. We chose the QSDP this time and loved it. We also ate at Chef Mickeys, 50's prime time and T Rex. Food was great at T rex. Reservations were very easy to get anywhere. We only had ressies at Chek Mickeys but when I tried to make some more like 50's prime time our concierge said no problem. We usually get the dining plan but we really liked the qsdp this time. We will get that next time too. So much food!!!!! We did not have to wait more than 5 minutes at any line to get our food and we ate at the main dining times like 11-12pm or 6-7pm.
The park was really clean this year.
Offiste at Buena Vista Hotel-7 days September 1985
Pop-8 days August 2007, Pop-7 days June 2008: Dining Plan, Pop-8 days June-July 2009: QSDP

My Etsy: www.love2embellish.etsy.com
My Blog: www.love2embellish.blogspot.com

Last edited by love2embellish; 07-05-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
love2embellish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
TBLaube
I do not need a Disney intervention, really, I don't.

Don't tease me like that! We are leaving next week and are a little worried about the crowds, this summer. We have gone before in the summer and have survived. We are well versed in WDW and know how to work the system with fastpasses and get to the parks at rope drop so we haven't had any problems. Hopefully it will be the same for this trip. If not, we are going to enjoy SSR and the resort activities. Either way we will have a great time.
TBLaube is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
kldmom2000
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear it! A couple of weeks ago I booked a surprise trip for the end of this month for our older DD's 9th bday. I didn't bother with the DDP at first because I thought there was NO WAY I'd get anything @ 30 days out I got EVERYTHING!!!! I was stunned!!! Chef Mickey's for dinner @ 5:30 ON her bday, LeCellier for lunch (12:30), Tony's and Tusker House for lunch... I called back and added the DDP I love the online system... showed me alternatives to restaurants at the time I was requesting... there's still openings for Ohana @ dinner (5:30/6:30 time frames!!!) I was SHOCKED! I don't know if it's because a lot of people are holding off for a few weeks later to get free dining???? Fine by me!!!

My only fear about summertime is the rain... rain... rain.... and storms! LOL! We went during mid-August the last 2 years and the first August was awesome. Florida was in a heat wave and there wasn't a drop of rain all week. Yes, it was hotter than Hades... but that was fine! Last year we had Tropical Storm Fay over us for the last 5 days of our 7 day trip That stunk.... too much rain.. too much wind.... Hoping for good weather for our upcoming trip
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

kidmom2000~ We'll be there the same time as you. We're from MA, too. Have a great time and here's hoping for just the regular ole afternoon T-storms and no steady rains.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
momsavealot
DIS Veteran

OP, did you leave the parks in the afternoon heat to come back to POP for a swim? if so, did you take a bus? and how long did it take to do that? I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth it or not to leave the parks midday or will we waste too much time on transportation? We'll be at POP w/ no park hopper but plan to go at rope drop every day. Thanks!
Aug. 2008 Polynesian Resort
Feb. 2006 Nickelodeon Hotel
(DD12) (DS11)(DS10) (DD7)
momsavealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
love2embellish
love2embellish

It depends on which park you are at. It takes no longer than 20 minutes tops to get from MK (longest) to POP. I recommend taking breaks and going back in the evening.
Offiste at Buena Vista Hotel-7 days September 1985
Pop-8 days August 2007, Pop-7 days June 2008: Dining Plan, Pop-8 days June-July 2009: QSDP

My Etsy: www.love2embellish.etsy.com
My Blog: www.love2embellish.blogspot.com
love2embellish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
drewbie'smom
Earning My Ears

Wow

OP - I hope you aren't teasing!!! We leave next week and I have had such anxiety about the heat and the crowds. Reading your post has given me hope that maybe, just maybe, it won't be so bad!

I can live with clouds and a little rain...
DS6

Next trip...
Fall 2013

Last trip...
January 2013

Last edited by drewbie'smom; 07-06-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: left out a word
drewbie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

OP... we were there with you at POP and left on Thursday. We also had QSDP and loved POP's selection of food court. My DS got the Chicken Alfredo dish every night! We also did not encounter crazy crowds and only used Fastpasses for Soarin and Toy Story.

By the way the buses at POP were Excellent. Loved that they only stopped at that resort and once on the bus you were on the way to the park. At closing we had plenty of people waiting in line and even one time at HS after Fantasmic had Disney Cruise line buses pick us up because of all the people in the que going back to the Entrance!!! But they kep the buses coming and we got home quickly!

OP did you follow a touring plan. I just printed off the days we were going from the touringplan site and followed their least crowded park days. It worked like a charm and we didn't have any ADR's so we were free to go where we pleased. By any chance were you at Disney Studios the day the young blind girl won American Idol experience? That was the highlight of our trip. I still get goose bumps thinking about listening to her sing. It was very moving to see that!

WE were over in the 80's section where were you all??
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Last edited by Cmbar; 07-07-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Edited to add bus information
Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
JeNScHuB
Earning My Ears

I'm lso staying at Pop.....BUT....going August 17th (the first full week of free dining). I noticed too that the value resorts are sold out on line....this scares me!!!!

August 2009 - Pop
2000 - Offsite
1996 - Sport
1993 - Sport

I love Disney!!!!
JeNScHuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

What a difference a week must make. We were at Pop 6/15-25 and the heat was unbearable. We did pm EMH at MK on Father's day and at 2am it was still 88 degrees!!! We found the heat stifling and altered our plans every day. We did enjoy Pop but had many issues and complaints about the buses including extended waits to get a bus to return to Pop. The buses leaving Pop seemed to come pretty frequently but it seemed to take an hour generally from anywhere we left to arrive at Pop. We thought the parks weren't too crowded in the am until about 11am. GO AT ROPEDROP!!! We had the regular DDP and heard many families turned away at the podiums if they didn't have an ADR. That said, we did have luck getting an ADR for three days out for Cape May Cafe but had to take an 8pm slot to do so. We thought the crowds were growing as our time went by. I'm surprised it wasn't more crowded over the 4th.

Last edited by disney4us2002; 07-07-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added more info
disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
SOnotLayuh
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2embellish View Post
We just got home Friday night late from an 8 day trip.
Weather was not hot at all. it rained some but not hard enought to even bother us. We wore ponchos 2 days for a few minutes each day only.
We went to all parks several times and did early morning hours mostly there. We would go back to a different park at night. Crowds were not bad either time except one night at EPCOT. We walked right on to several big ones several times. It was way less crowded than we expected since we have been in the summer several times before.
We swam a lot at our pool (POP). Our hotel was great as usual. Clean, quiet and not too crowded. We rented sea raycers one day around the lagoon and that was lots of fun. We got some great pictures. Rode the monorail, boats, and buses every day.
We toured several hotels and ate all over the world. We chose the QSDP this time and loved it. We also ate at Chef Mickeys, 50's prime time and T Rex. Food was great at T rex. Reservations were very easy to get anywhere. We only had ressies at Chek Mickeys but when I tried to make some more like 50's prime time our concierge said no problem. We usually get the dining plan but we really liked the qsdp this time. We will get that next time too. So much food!!!!! We did not have to wait more than 5 minutes at any line to get our food and we ate at the main dining times like 11-12pm or 6-7pm.
The park was really clean this year.
I am so happy for you!! This sounds GREAT! I can't wait for DF and I to go on our Disneymoon in a couple weeks
| ASMo 05.05 | Offsite 05.06 | Pop 05.07 | Pop/CSR 07.08 | AKL 07.09 | AKL 04.10 | Dolphin 07.10 | Offsite 09.10 | CSR 11.10 | WL CL 02.11 | DTD Hilton 05.11 | CR CL 9.11 | BWV 10.11 | CSR/BLT 03.12 | AKV/BWV 05.12 | SSR 08.12 | AKV 10.12 | BLT/SSR 12.13 | AKV 03.14 | AKV CL Disneymoon 10.14 |

SOnotLayuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
L2DAVI
Mouseketeer

I to just returned. I was there 6/25 - 7/3, and it was not busy. The posted wait times were at 30 min. With the exception of EE,TSM, RnRc and Soarin. And even though it said 30 min it was more like 15 -20 min. The weather was warm with some showers not bad, just get ponchos before your trip if you are worried. I didn't mind the "cool down" from the rain on me. Hope all of your trips go great. Enjoy and don't forget to take time to relax.
L2DAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

Thanks for the awesome trip report! I like reading the really long ones on the trip report board, but the quickies are also good.

Looking forward to my own trip soon.
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
Carrie772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
litlpixie
Proudly stalking the CRO since 2001!!

Dear OP,

Please rub your elbow over my post, as I hope to have your luck!!!

litlpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
Returning DisFan
Mouseketeer

Smile

I hope it is half as nice next week... we leave Saturday. Thanks for the encouraging post

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/bszvgj8lwia3obmz.png[/img]
Returning DisFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: