Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
ksumn1
DIS Veteran

To miss or not to miss school, THAT is the ? June or August

Had to postpone our August trip for $$ reasonsbut are rescheduling for next year. Would love price wise to wait until August or try for free dining but since school usually starts back in the beginning of August, we may have to go in the summer. School lets out on May 21 so any time after lunch on May 21 through August 1st (return home) is an option. Looking for a 9 night, 10 day trip. We went in early June last year and the crowd levels weren't too bad. I used TGM's advice on park days etc and it worked out well. We know it'll be hot, but that's OK. Of course, it will cost more to go in the summer vs Fall.

And also....one of the main reasons we're not crazy about waiting until late August is because of school. Our state (GA) has an attendance policy but I'm not too concerned about letting DD's miss 5 days , since both are good students. However, oldest DD starts middle school next year and I don't know how big of an adjustment it will be for her. I do know all of her teachers (except 1) and all have assured me that the work part will be fine. I just need to let them know at orientation (beginning of August) ar ASAP after school starts and they'll send her work with her and she can turn it in when she gets back.

Cost is somewhat of a factor, since we put off our trip this year to pay off some bills and get ahead, but DH freaked out when I priced the trip for next June (today) using prices from this year as a comparison. Free dining makes a big difference in price as does Value vs summer rates. I explained this to him when we postponed but for some reason he doesn't "get" why it's more expensive? Umm, summer rates are higer than fall, no free dining, a trip to the waterparks and an extra night too. That *might* have something to do with it!! (He promised the kids a trip to the waterparks if we put off this years trip AND that we would go for longer for whatever reason)

Anyway, WWYD? Donning flame retardant suit for protection....I understand the importance of education, and the possible harm I could be doing by pulling DD's out of schhol. To be honest, I'm a college freshman, and I'm more worried about how I'm going to make up the work missed than I am about DD's missed work. Teachers of kids seem to understand the appeal of missing school for WDW much more than my college professors

June 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge

ksumn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

If it were me I would not want them to miss school. I would go as soon as school is out in May. Many schools in the US do not get out until the second week of June or later so crowds should not be bad yet. Also, I think it is not summer rates until June. I know it is not free food, but this year it was the 4/3 deal which was pretty great (some feel it is better) so you could wait and see what deals are out for then.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

I've actually been twice around the 3rd week in May, and they were 2 of my favorite trips!

me, DH, DS(14), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
disneymomjcs
DIS Veteran

Travel during school

I will get flamed for this but this is what we do!

We love to travel that said, we travel all year long and during the school year too! Sometimes its just a few days before a long holiday and sometimes its an entire week.

Our daugther is a very good student. We always put in our request for an "educational family trip" and classwork/homework. She does work on the plane and sometimes throughout the trip. We have done this since preschool at least once a year sometimes more for family graduations and ceremonies that are out of state.

This year was our daughers first in middle school and she missed a week in the beginning of October. She had a ton of makeup work to do while away.

The worst was the day she returned the math teacher wanted to give her a test. She gave her one day to study. It took a while for her to recover her math but the other subjects were fine.

This year we are going at the end of October but I will be asking for her work a few weeks ahead. So she isn't swamped. Grades close a few days after we return so this will take some pre planning to make sure everything is A - okay.

Although with the work load increasing this may be our last year to vacation during the school year with the exception of a day or two. That said, we still feel that the experience of travel and meeting people from other places gives her the chance to grow and experience things she is learing about in books. Different cultures, times zones, climates the list goes on.

I'll leave you with a favorite quote of mine.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. St. Augustine
disneymomjcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
M-J's Mommy
Mouseketeer

If you work it out like the PP and stay on top of their education and don't let the vacation get in the way of it, more power to you. However, some kids just wouldn't do well in this type of situation. Personally, unless your kids are REALLY disciplined and REALLY good students (I suppose you would have to be pretty disciplined, too), I would say to leave them in school. It just depends on your situation.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on their age. I would definitely take young children out of school to go to Disney. Once they get to middle or high school, it's too long. I did take my family (2 preschoolers and freshman in high school) a few years ago and she missed a week and it was really hard for her.

I wouldn't hesitate if it was elementary school.

Julie
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
marcielm
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't pull them out of school just so you can take advantage of Free Dining. They had great rates this past spring, and often it can equal out to about the same savings as Free Dining. Don't forget you could get a good PIN as well.

In our school district, if you have more than 3 days of unexcused absence, you are considered "truant" and get slapped with a $500 fine. You might check your school district and see what their policy is. The way I look at it, I just tacked on $500 to the price of my Disney trip!

Also with you daughter starting middle school, there is so many activities that begin at the first of the year. Is she going to be in band or choir? What about sports? Volleyball & such kick off at the beginning of the school year, and missing a week of that can really hurt.
marcielm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-J's Mommy View Post
If you work it out like the PP and stay on top of their education and don't let the vacation get in the way of it, more power to you. However, some kids just wouldn't do well in this type of situation. Personally, unless your kids are REALLY disciplined and REALLY good students (I suppose you would have to be pretty disciplined, too), I would say to leave them in school. It just depends on your situation.
Agree, and her daughter did homework WHILE ON VACATION! My kids would never do that, and I wouldn't want to have to bug them to do it.

May is nice anyway, why would October be better if the OP can do May
Old 07-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Pure_Imagination
CP Spring 2010?

It may be hard for them to start back in the second week- not only has everyone else already started to make friends but they've all gotten to know the teachers and school as well. Plus their teachers might not think very highly of you That's a lot of work for them to do to catch up on your child missing a week of school. Plus, what if one of them gets sick during the school year? Then they'd be missing even *more* school.
Pure_Imagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcielm View Post
I wouldn't pull them out of school just so you can take advantage of Free Dining. They had great rates this past spring, and often it can equal out to about the same savings as Free Dining. Don't forget you could get a good PIN as well.

In our school district, if you have more than 3 days of unexcused absence, you are considered "truant" and get slapped with a $500 fine. You might check your school district and see what their policy is. The way I look at it, I just tacked on $500 to the price of my Disney trip!

Also with you daughter starting middle school, there is so many activities that begin at the first of the year. Is she going to be in band or choir? What about sports? Volleyball & such kick off at the beginning of the school year, and missing a week of that can really hurt.
Great point about activities. People always assume that their kids WANT to miss school and sports and clubs and fun with friends but most kids by middle school really don't. Missing a week of sports practice can put you behind for the entire season.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
ksumn1
DIS Veteran

Well, one concern with going the last week in May is that our trip would fall during the Memorial Day weekend. Supposedly a very busy weekend, but I've eavesdropped on a couple of threads from back in May and now I don't think that's a huge concern. I also emailed our TA and chnces are *some* kind of discount will be offered during our trip, so there goes concern #2.

As far as school, we get a letter after 5 absences and after 10 absences (unexcused, not excused due to illness etc) you get a visit from a truant officer. Both my DD's are very smart and I'm not concerned with them being able to do the work or not being able to catch up. We've always tried to make WDW a learning expereince. They keep a diary and we try to fo educational stuff (ex last trip my 8 yr old DD added up the bill, how much the change would be, where each country was on a map etc)

After school activities are a factor here. One reason for the August or September visit is softballs over (both DD's play) and basketball hasn't started yet. Youngest DD (will be 7) may miss cheering at a couple of games. Oldest DD has been All Star in basketball the last 2 years, was going to be All Star in softball this past season but she broke her wrist. Their last game was last week because they won every tournament, AND went to the state playoffs. So in our case, we miss less in Aug/Sep activity wise than we would with a March trip.

Either way, one of them will miss something. I'm leaning more toward June since I plan on taking Summer semester off form college next year anyway, so June would be best from a School standpoint for me. Also, I only get 5 absences for a 3 time a week class before my professor can drop me from the class. And a Fri-Sunday 9 night trip will take 4 of those 5 absences on an Aug/Sep trip.

And all the Moms know Murphy's law is that when I can't miss a day...both kids will be struck simultaneously with a stomach virus or the flu that will cause me to miss a week from class.

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize there were many (or any) discounts for May. I have to agree that May (for us) will probably work best. DH soooo wanted to do free dining (he'll live) but May is best for his work too. He works on power lines and hurricane season is his busiest time at work. And since August and September are smack dab in the height of hurricane season...... $$ wise he would lose alot of overtime if he missed a storm while we were at WDW.

Thanks again!!

June 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge

ksumn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: