Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
PeteSh
Earning My Ears

How realistic is Park Hopping

Currently I have a 5 day standard magic your way ticket. But I am considering upgrading to the park hopping option once I arrive

What I'm wondering is... is it realistic?
I've read that it could take (at worst) up to approx. an hour to travel from MK to Epcot using the monorail, so I can only imagine how much longer it takes using Disney's bus system.

Mainly, I am interested in using the park hopper option to tour Animal Kingdom and Epcot, how long does it take by bus (or by car) to get from one park to the other?
PeteSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
HunnyPots
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy is giving me big hugs for being such a kind person to animals (((hug)))
Better to have white walls than hay on the walls

You should be able to get from MK to EPCOT in much less than an hour by monorail. If you have a car, it depends on what time of day you're traveling as to how long it will take to go from park to park, but still much less than an hour. The bus system is the slowest, for sure, but park hopping is still doable. We've done it on 3 out of 4 trips.
July 2006 Pop Century
June 2008 Indian Ridge vacation home
May 2011 Indian Ridge vacation home
HunnyPots is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
muscarello4
Mouseketeer

Transport does not take long

You might wait 10-15 minutes for a bus from AK to EPCOT. The ride doesn't take long. (I'm thinking about 10 minutes.)

The PROs: Epcot has lots of nice restaurants. It is nice to visit AK in the a.m. and then head to Epcot for dinner.

The Con: We have 6 in our family. $300 for hopping privileges is just not worth it in my opinion.

We pick a park and then stick with it for the day. The MK monorail resorts doe have nice restaurants with easy transportation, if you're looking for places for dinner without needing to buy the hopper.

Our last two came to us through adoption from the state. I'd love to share our story if anyone is looking to adopt kids from fostercare.
muscarello4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
CathieArms
DIS Veteran

I've found this website to be very helpful in calculating transportation time between resorts and parks: http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx. I don't know what the accuracy is, but I've found it to be a useful tool for planning.

As for hopping from one park to another, that's the only way I know how to do it. Sometimes it just makes sense to hop on over to another park for part of the day.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Honestly, it depends on your group. We never hop. Even when we had park hopping included in the tickets we didn't do it. As much as we love the Disney transportation system it is very time consuming to get to the front of the park, exit, wait for the bus, ride to the next park, and get inside. You are looking at at least an hour in the best of circumstances.

HOWEVER, I am in the minority here. Most people love to hop. I just feel like with kids it is too much of a hassle.
Basically, on our AK day we stay until it closes and then use that night to just swim, go to DTD, see a movie, eat at another resort, or something else like that. We get plenty of Epcot time by scheduling two days at Epcot.

If it were just dh and I we may try hopping, it is just too much money and too much hassle for 6 of us!

Last edited by laceemouse; 07-04-2009 at 09:01 PM.
laceemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Haley
DIS Veteran

Are you staying onsite?

What I do (and a lot of people) is go to one park in the morning, leave around lunchtime when it's crowded and the hottest. Go back to the hotel to swim, rest, shower and then we go to a different park that evening for dinner, rides and fireworks.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
agame2323
DIS Veteran

Honestly...don't do it! Because once you experience Park Hopping it becomes hard to go without it. Trust me.
agame2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Teacher03
DIS Veteran

We have always park hopped whether we stay onsite or off. It's not bad whatever method of transportation you use. As someone pointed out, once you do it, you'll always want to park hop!

Early 1970's-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1994-Fort Wilderness Cabins
May 1998-Boardwalk
July 2005-Cypress Point
June 2006-Pop Century
June 2007-All Star Movies-All girls trip!
June 2009! Windsor Hills-All girls trip!
June 2012-Bonnet Creek
June 2013-Back at Bonnet Creek
Teacher03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
rsimon
Disney Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSh View Post
Currently I have a 5 day standard magic your way ticket. But I am considering upgrading to the park hopping option once I arrive

I've read that it could take (at worst) up to approx. an hour to travel from MK to Epcot using the monorail, so I can only imagine how much longer it takes using Disney's bus system.

Mainly, I am interested in using the park hopper option to tour Animal Kingdom and Epcot, how long does it take by bus (or by car) to get from one park to the other?
We park hope every day we are there. We have done it with the bus system and by car. It is MUCH easier by car IMO because you can predict how long it will take. Between DHS and Epcot, we usually just walk.. MK and Epcot we take the monorail many times.. Either way, it has never taken us an hour to get from one park to another unless we were using the busses. They are unpredictable.
2010 - June - BLT-AKV | Aug - BWV | Oct - AKV | Dec - BLT
2011 - May - BLT | Oct - BLT | Dec - BLT
2012 - Feb - BLT | May- BCV | Sept - Grand Cal | Oct - AKL
2013 - Jan - Aulani | Oct -BLT/AKL
2014 - Mar - GFV | May - BLT | Oct - SSR/BLT

Upcoming Trips
2014 - Dec - BLT
2015 - Feb - Aulani
rsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Daydreamer
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on your touring plan. If your touring the parks commando style then hopping doesn't hold many advantages. When you factor in the fast pass opportunities you loose by hopping versus staying in the park you are probably better off not to hop.

However, if you are planning on taking mid day breaks and or take advantage of any EMH's then it is definitely worth the time and cost. For us, one of the worst things is to be "stuck" in an EMH morning park all day. We love the EMH mornings but are ready to be out of the parks by lunch time due to the crowds. Without hopping we wouldn't be able to move on to a different park.
Daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Mcbruns
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSh View Post

We always hop. It really gives a lot of flexibility. AK is not a park that needs a full day (imo) plus they typically close earlier than the other parks making that a good day to hop. No way will it take an hour to hop from any park to another.
1976-offsite~ 1991-offsite~ 1993-offsite~ 1997-Swan~ 1998-Caribbean Beach~ 2003-Port Orleans~ 2004-Pop Century~ 2005-Beach Club Villas~ 2006-Contemporary ~ 2007-ASMu ~ 2007-Coronado Springs ~ 2007-Anniversary Trip GF ~ October 2008-Wilderness Lodge~2 trips in 2009 (June-WH and Sept-OKW)~ 2010-Swan for NYE ~ 2011-Poly for my 40th ~ April 2012 & July ~ 2013 Cruising on the Wonder & June trip ~2014-Lion King Suite
Mcbruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

It depends.
I find that it comes it very handy, but yes it can be time consuming.

We enjoy it when we take afternoon breaks, or one park is open later than the others.
For example, on our last night on our last trip we went to Fantasmic at 7pm, then took the boat to EPCOT and watched Illuminations. It was the only way we got to see both shows before we left, because we didn't make it to either earlier in our trip.
Also, the Animal Kingdom closed very early in January (5pm), so it was either sit around the resort all evening, or go to another park.

Next week, the Magic Kingdom is open past 10 every night we'll be there, so I look at hopping as a nice way to take advantage of early morning touring, an afternoon nap, and late night touring all on the same day.
If you have small children that need to be in bed early, then it may not be as practical.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agame2323 View Post
Honestly...don't do it! Because once you experience Park Hopping it becomes hard to go without it. Trust me.
That's us. We had some 1-day passes and decided to use them on our last trip (long story) -- we found it almost unbearable to be stuck in Epcot once we had done everything we wanted to that day. And, we missed EMH at MK -- never again.

We find it easier to hop by bus or monorail if we're going to be going back to the same park later eg. MK in the am, monorail to Epcot when MK gets too crowded, back to MK for EMH. In fact, when our hopping includes MK we prefer not to take our car because of the whole tram-monorail issue -- that takes a lot of time and energy compared to bus or monorail which take you right to the park entrance.

But if we're doing something like AK, then DHS, having a car is nice at the end of the day (although that is also very doable by bus)

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

Alot of people complain about the Disney Bus system, but I really don't think it's all that bad considering you don't pay for the gas, fight traffic, pay for parking, and when you're hot and tired drive back to your resort. that being said it does take some time to get from park to park. I'm a pass holder and usually don't park hop except maybe for dinner, and I usually try to plan where I'm eating where I'm at. Personally I think it wastes alot of time and there is so much to see, do, and eat right in the park you're at. If I were you I wouldn't waste my money with the hopping options.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #15
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

We have always park hop except for our last trip b/c we were staying at AKL and my son still naps. He takes like 3 hour naps so we just enjoyed the resort in the afternoon/evening. I'm glad we did that but for our next trip we are doing park hopper b/c we are staying at the Epcot resort and like the idea of going to Epcot for dinner but spent our morning at other parks.

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: