Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
weschmom
Mouseketeer

Arrow Just back--5 nites at WL.DDP--HOT but great time!

Hi there,

We just returned from a 5-night stay at WL. There were 4 in our party (DH, me, DD7, DS4). The worst thing about our trip: the heat. We knew it would be hot, but OMG it was HOT!!! We were dripping every day, which made it a little less enjoyable. Always looking for the next A/C area. :-)

The best thing: NO LINES! Really, we didn't wait more than ten minutes for anything. We got fastpasses for Soarin', but that was it!! Was great to walk right on things. Oh yeah...I guess TSM was about 15-20 mins, and that was at like 9:20am. That ride fills up FAST!

Best Surprises

*The piggy bank adventure in EPCOT. I forget the actual name of it, but you take a piggy bank and go to several different stations. It teaches you about saving money, diversification, etc. I did it with my DD7 and she loved it! Was a nice air-conditioned activity while my son was snoozing in the stroller.

*Coca-Cola taste-testing from different countries in EPCOT. This was called "Club Cola" or something like that. Hadn't seen it in years past, but nice when you're thirsty, need to cool off, and a fun thing to do with the kids. We all agreed...we liked Germany's cola best.

*Kim Possible missions in EPCOT. Had read about this just before leaving, and knew that the kids would love it. It was really user-friendly and fun! We started in Mexico (nice b/c it was all indoors). It's like a scavenger hunt, but the Kimmunicators are very high-tech. We then moved on to Norway. Would have liked to do more but we had a dinner ressie.

Minor Disappointments

*Bus Sharing. I thought (I could swear) I read on here that one of the perks of staying in a deluxe was that you didn't have to share buses. Well...not so. We were in WL and shared with either Ft. Wilderness or GF, depending where we were going. Just adds time to your journey, so that was a bit of a drag.

*$33 hair wraps. My DD was excited the whole trip about getting a hair wrap at the pool on our last day. When we inquired, the gal gave us a quote of $33!!! Yikes! Now I know Disney is expensive, but come on! My DD has shoulder-length hair, so not "long" by any stretch. She measured 14" x $2 per inch, plus one set of beads is required, so $33. We said "no thanks". That's just nuts.

*Essentially missing Spectromagic. Was our fault that we left EPCOT later than we should to get there, but there was an issue with the monorail and we were sitting on it for a l-o-n-g time not moving. We finally got to MK at 8:00pm on the dot, but had to go thru bag check, etc. The place was packed and we couldn't find a place where the kids could see the parade. This is where I get annoyed with adults....if there is a small child way in the back, why not make a place for them so they can see the parade? I certainly would if I were in the front. Parades are for kids, right!? Just kind of irritated me that the kids didn't get to see the parade, but again, somewhat my fault for not allowing 1.5 hours travel time. Ergh.

*No late check-out. Our ME bus time wasn't till 2:35, so I called to see if we could stay in the room till then. Not only was it a NO, but they wouldn't give us a late check-out at all, b/c they were sold out and needed to clean the room. Kind of a bummer.

*The boat back to WL at night was bug-infested and sweltering on the inside. No kidding...I felt like I was in a 3rd world country! Mosquitos swarming the seats, and it was a sauna. This was the most unenjoyable thing we experienced. It didn't help that it was 10pm and we were all exhausted and hot.

Wilderness Lodge

*Very nice resort!! Loved the theme of it. Wish the pool had a bit more shallow area to it, but the slide was fabulous!! Whispering Canyon Cafe was AWESOME, and the food at Roaring Fork was GREAT!!!

Meals (on DDP)

*WCC -- my DH's favorite by far. Loved the skillet!! Kids loved the shenanigans.

*Chef Mickey's -- a good buffet, very similar (food-wise) to other breakfast buffets, such as Hollywood N vine. Kids enjoyed the characters. Very busy.

*50's Prime Time (lunch) - DH loved his PB&J milkshake and I loved my berry smoothie. Pot roast did not disappoint either. Kids were happy with hot dogs.

*Teppan Edo - No steak on the kids menu! But they allowed us to get it and charged us $3/kid extra. No biggie. Filet Mignon was great, though not quite as tender as our local hibachi restaurant. Our chef, a young girl, was hilarious! Kids had a ball. Chocolate ginger cake was fabulous too.

*Garden Grill - DH really liked this one. Nice variety on the platter (better make sure you like the menu before going, b/c there are no choices here!!). Kids ate really well, but got a popsicle-like dessert (??). Our blueberry cobbler a la mode was fabulous.

Did not have a bad meal the entire week. Really liked all our counter service meals as well. Pizzafari at AK was probably the best -- hot italian sandwich was huge and very yummy. Kids liked the pizzas here. Also Sunshine Seasons had a great variety of stuff. DH liked the thai food. I liked the ceasar salad.

At the end of the week we still had 5 snack credits unused!

Best Tip (thanks to another DISer for mentioning this!!)

*Free water! You do not need to pay (or use snack credits) for bottled water. Simply go anywhere that has fountain drinks and ask for ice water. It's free, and tastes great! You can take crystal light packets to flavor it up. It was hot so very important to drink a lot....and this was a GREAT tip to know.

Oh -- one question -- I had not ridden on Splash Mountain since the mid 90's b/c our last two trips were in January and it's closed for rehab then. But as I recall, there was always one small hill, a long boat ride, then the big drop. Well this time was far different! There were about 5-6 small and medium size hills, more in the dark then what I remember, and then the big hill. AND...right after we got on, a spray of water totally drenched us all. HAS THIS RIDE CHANGED A LOT OVER THE LAST 10-15 YRS, OR IS MY MEMORY JUST THAT BAD?!?! It was way too much for my DD, who doesn't like roller coasters or thrill rides of any kind. She watched it before going on and thought she'd be OK, but was crying by the end. My daredevil DS4 loved it though.

Feel free to ask me any ??'s!! Next time we'll be going in early December when it's cooler!!!!! :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: