Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
AdWayInc
There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!

October 2009

Who is going? I have so many questions... Now I have been to WDW 14 times before BUT this is my first time going in October 3rd - 11th, I really wanted to be there for the Food and Wine Festival. I have heard so many great things about it and I am so excited!
Questions:
1 - Is the Food & Wine festival worth it.... its just my DH and I - No kids
2 - What is the weather like?
3 - Crowd expectations?
4 - Since I am a DVC member and I booked just last week, I was not able to book BW for the week but I could get a couple of days. So I decided what the hey - go for flow... so we are staying AKL for 3-5, 6&7 BW and the balance OKW. Stupid idea?
5 - Is there any thing I should be aware of? Does it rain alot then? I never had a problem before but I would like to be prepared....

Now if only they would hurry up with the time tables so I can really start planning... 90 days is just not enough time to do it right.

BWV 02/2013 ~ BWV 12/12, BLT 03/12 ~ OKW 02/11 ~ SS 10/10, GCH in DL 05/10, BLT 03/10 ~ AKL, BW, & OKW 10/09, RPR (Darkside) 03/2009 (US), BWV 03/2009 ~ VFWL 03/2008 ~ SS 05/2007, BWV 03/2007 ~ OKW 07/2006 ~ DVC MEMBER 2006 ~ CSR 05/2005 ~ POR - 05/2004 ~ POFQ - 03/2003 ~ AKL - 07/2002 ~ FWR - 03/2000 ~ ASM - 03/1998 ~ FWR - 02/1995 ~ FWR - 03/1993 ~ *CR - 11/1991 (First time ever)*
AdWayInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Jachred
Earning My Ears

Same here, Glad you posted it first..

I am looking to bring my GF for the first time to Disney, I have been many many times, but dont really remember what october is like... I am hoping not to crowded, not to humid and I know it will be alot of fun

------------------------------------------------
30 DGF24

Me Disney/Epcot ages: 3,5,7,8,9,10,12,15,17
Jachred is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
ilovemickeymost
Wife of a Soldier, Girlfriend of a Mouse. Thank you Walt for giving us a place to be part of the Magic.

(1) Haven't been yet, but so excited to be going. 2-10. Haven't changed my signature line. Its still says December. If you are using the dining plan, you can use your snack credits for items @ the festival. They have menu boards for the countries & the items, descriptions, & price (& the DP symbol next to the ones that qualify. Check the other areas of this website (not the boards). I found pics of last years menu boards.
(2) The weather in October is amazingly wonderful. Warm enough for the pool, but cool enough not to sweat to death.
(3) Crowds weren't bad while we were there for the most part. The local kids had a 3 day weekend. So, it was a little busy for a couple days. The Halloween Party is a must & totally worth the money even if you are kidless. And I think costumes should be mandatory b/c it was so much fun being dressed up in the MK. Just keep in mind that the latest promo (free dining) lasts until 10/3. So you want to get your ADR 90 days before or you'll have no where to eat except counter service.
(4) We normally split our stay. I'm bond & determined to stay at all the properties. This trip we are trying a new value & then heading to sleep in pirate ships. You just check out from the one & tell them you are switching resorts. They will tell you exactly what to do. You can leave your bags w/ baggage check & they take them over to the new hotel. You can then go to the parks & enjoy your day & do a late check-in or head over & check in. Your bags won't get there for awhile though. I've never had any problems. FYI If you are using the magical Express, when you checkin @ the 1st resort they can tell you what to do for your pick up time. Its no biggie.
(5) Of course it rains, it Florida. LOl DD says we can guess the time of day by the rainfall. We only got the 30 minute showers in midday while we were there. Have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWayInc View Post
Who is going? I have so many questions... Now I have been to WDW 14 times before BUT this is my first time going in October 3rd - 11th, I really wanted to be there for the Food and Wine Festival. I have heard so many great things about it and I am so excited!
Questions:
1 - Is the Food & Wine festival worth it.... its just my DH and I - No kids
2 - What is the weather like?
3 - Crowd expectations?
4 - Since I am a DVC member and I booked just last week, I was not able to book BW for the week but I could get a couple of days. So I decided what the hey - go for flow... so we are staying AKL for 3-5, 6&7 BW and the balance OKW. Stupid idea?
5 - Is there any thing I should be aware of? Does it rain alot then? I never had a problem before but I would like to be prepared....

Now if only they would hurry up with the time tables so I can really start planning... 90 days is just not enough time to do it right.

DH (42) & DMe (38) & DD (17) & DS1 (5) & DS2 (2)
ilovemickeymost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Jachred
Earning My Ears

Thank you, Thats exactly what i was hoping for.. I am staying away from Columbus day.. but never tried the food/wine festival.. Think I am going to move up my dates from late to early October....

30 DGF24

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
ilovemickeymost
Wife of a Soldier, Girlfriend of a Mouse. Thank you Walt for giving us a place to be part of the Magic.

Glad i could help. when is columbus day? I'd like to miss the masses. Also, I've heard that food & wine is busy on the weekends & Mickey's Halloween is too. You don't have to have park admission to the Halloween party, but you do for food & wine. enjoy.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Jachred
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemickeymost View Post
Glad i could help. when is columbus day? I'd like to miss the masses. Also, I've heard that food & wine is busy on the weekends & Mickey's Halloween is too. You don't have to have park admission to the Halloween party, but you do for food & wine. enjoy.
Columbus day is October 12th, a Monday..

Good deal. Looks like I am going to have to look up the halloween party

30 DGF24

Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

We went last year over Columbus Day weekend. It was pretty crowded but manageable. We only had 4 park days prior to our Disney cruise, but we managed to do everything we wanted to do including see Nemo at animal kingdom.
The weather was fantastic, only rained once during our stay and it only lasted about 20 minutes. We did not do the Food and Wine Fest. however we did enjoy MNSSHP!

We are going this year October 3rd to 9th. I can't wait! We will not be doing MNSSHP again, however we will add on the water parks to one day. After visiting last October I believe that we will try to keep our trips in the fall from now on!
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14

DVC Owners Since 3/2012

Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #8
ilovemickeymost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Disney06 View Post
We are going this year October 3rd to 9th. I can't wait! We will not be doing MNSSHP again, however we will add on the water parks to one day. After visiting last October I believe that we will try to keep our trips in the fall from now on!
Maybe we'll bump into you. We'll be there the 2-10. I need to change my signature still.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
Joolish1313
DIS Veteran

Wink Second trip during Columbus Week

I love October in New England - and I love October in Florida. The weather was perfect: warm during the day & cooler at night. Bugs weren't a problem. This will be the second time DH and I go Columbus week. The beginning of the week was busier than the middle (most weeks are like that anyway with most people arriving on the weekends).
The menus for the Food & Wine Festival are worth checking out - so are the reviews before you get there. We didn't use our DDP credits for them, but bought food as we wanted to try it. Same thing for the wine. I really liked walking around and seeing all the booths.
Enjoy your stay!

I run for Disney, TAE!!2013 WDW Marathon, 2012 DL Half, 2012 Tower of Terror 10-miler, 2011 WDW Half Marathon and 2011 Wine & Dine Half

Visits1984 offsite,1990(Dixie Landings), 2001, 2002, 2003 (off-site Orange Lake); 2005 DL Paris, 2005 DL, 2005 WDW, 2006 (Carribean Beach & offsite, ENGAGED), 2007 (POP, DISNEYMOON), 2008 DL Paris, 2009(POP), 2010 (Pop), 2011 (Pop Jan & Oct), 2012 (Pop Feb & Oct), 2012 DL Sept (offsite), 2013 (Pop Jan), 2013 (Pop Feb Baby's 12 weeks along - 1st visit!)
Joolish1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
DisneyPiPhi
Mouseketeer

1 - I think F&W is totally worth it! DH and I live in Celebration and go every year. We're moving, but I'm glad we'll be at WDW in October to enjoy it. The free wine tastings are wonderful, and I love wandering around and snacking all day.
2 - October weather fluctuates from year to year. This past year, October was rather chilly and sometimes rainy. In other years, it's been HOT. It really just depends.
3 - We love October because it is usually not crowded. It depends on the day and weekend, though. For example, EPCOT could be crowded on Race for the Taste weekend (October 10-11) or weeks when local schools have a day or two off school.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
disneysuncat
Cat of the Sun

We were there for Halloween (actual Halloween, end of October) in 2007. It rained a BUNCH! But, that is NOT the norm for that time, cast members and Florida natives there kept telling us that the weather that week was very unusual. I had brand-new sunglasses and never got to wear them.

Heat was maybe high 80's, not too bad. Crowds weren't bad at all. The food & wine festival was wonderful! We went to the MNSSHP on Halloween night, now THAT was crowded, but oh so fun. Nothing like being in the Haunted Mansion on Halloween!

Anyway, we are doing it again this year, our dates are 10/30-11-8.

disneysuncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Simba22
DIS Veteran

We went from October 14th-23rd back in 2007. We literally had perfect weather and the crowds were manageable. The worst day was one of days at AK. We got there at 10am and the line to get in was down past the bag check tables. We made a beeline for the safari and the wait was already 80 minutes...plus the FP return time was for 3pm already! That was the only day that we had that kind of an issue. And for some reason, AK is always hotter than all the other parks so just standing in line was a chore. But truthfully, I would rather stand in the heat than the rain. We just could not have asked for a better week.

We had never been there for the F & W Festival so we didn't really know what to expect and therefore missed out on most of it. This year, we are a little more prepared. Someone actually suggested planning breakfast only that day because he ate so much at the booths that were set up that they didn't even make it to their dinner ADR.
Simba22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
mermaid mama
Mom of princess and prince!

Just Booked with Free Dining!

I just booked at POR with Free Dining Pin! Oct.10-16, 2009. YAHOO!
Nov.30-Dec.09,2008 All Star Music Suites.

Sept.2007 Port. Orleans French Quarter.
mermaid mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

I'll be at BWV Spet 30 - Oct 9, so maybe we'll run into each other.

You're gonna love F&WF. This will be my third time enjoying it. It's totally worth it & deffinitely more for the adults than the kids. There are extra priced events you can also go to, but we have never bothered with them & still had a awesome time just going to the booths. There are also a few free events. When you get to the park they have a little booklet with the schedule of everything going on. Also, the best time to take advantage of the booths is weekdays at 11am- it's the least busy. I wouldn't recommend most nights, especially weekend evenings.

Also, check this thread out. It has a ton of info & it's updated frequently with new info as the time gets closer: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2175930

I've stayed at split resorts & there's really nothing to it. Disney moves people so smoothly. You'll be fine.

Maybe see you there! Check out my pre-trip report in my signature if you'd like. We are a party of three adults, no kids.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysuncat View Post
We were there for Halloween (actual Halloween, end of October) in 2007. It rained a BUNCH! But, that is NOT the norm for that time, cast members and Florida natives there kept telling us that the weather that week was very unusual. I had brand-new sunglasses and never got to wear them.

Heat was maybe high 80's, not too bad. Crowds weren't bad at all. The food & wine festival was wonderful! We went to the MNSSHP on Halloween night, now THAT was crowded, but oh so fun. Nothing like being in the Haunted Mansion on Halloween!

Anyway, we are doing it again this year, our dates are 10/30-11-8.
We'll be at the Halloween Party on the 31st, too! I can't wait to ride HM! I just hope it doesn't rain like it did for you! We were there the week before you in 2007 and the weather was gorgeous. Of course, it poured when we went back in March on the night we went to the P & P Party. The puddles were ankle deep! I was soooo upset! That was the only night out of the whole week that it rained!
Simba22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: