Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Disney Pins Discussion Thread

Our eBay thread was getting crowded with general Disney Pin discussion, so I decided to make this thread so that the eBay thread can be devoted solely to buying pins from eBay. Talk away

So, is there a new backstamp this year? I got a pin in a lot that has a circular backstamp for 2009. It also has Mickey heads stamped on it from end to end. Is this new? I like the old style better.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Some of them have the mickey heads all over the back but not all of them. All the new pins from this year should have a circle stamp that says ODPT 2009. I like the other backs better but they seem to be easy to scrap, of course the new backs are scrapped now too so.....

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Some of them have the mickey heads all over the back but not all of them. All the new pins from this year should have a circle stamp that says ODPT 2009. I like the other backs better but they seem to be easy to scrap, of course the new backs are scrapped now too so.....
But they seem harder to scrap.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Hmmm maybe, the scrappers I've seen have a rim around the edge and the legit ones don't. So yes, maybe you're right...or maybe they just don't have a good system down yet. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
MountNittany

Now, I am no expert on Disney Pins, I hope nobody thought that of me. I was going to make a trade at DTD with a pin trader. He had the pin that I needed to complete my set from a few years back. I was going to trade my http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?p....1248230308.v2 for his http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?p....1248230341.v2. He said that his tram pin was the hardest to find in the set. I didn't believe him, but I didn't want to argue, because I am not knowledgable enough. I figured that it probably wasn't very hard to find if you went to DLR, since it was only released at DLR. Am I right, or is the trader right?

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

It's hard to say who was "right" in that case. I don't remember seeing that one and normally the older the set the harder it is to find ones you need. Of course your Figment pin is also "hard to find" and has many scrappers, if your Figment was a "good" one then that trader likely made a bad choice if they did trade with you.

BTW, I'm no expert either! LOL I only can speak from my experiences.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
MountNittany

I believe that my Figment one was a good one. All of the metal was cleen on the edges, and the part at the bottom where the stand for Spaceship Earth is was cut out (hope you know what I mean). A lot of scrappers don't have the minor little gaps cut out.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

OK, questions! Next month will be my 1st trip to WDW since becoming a pin collector and trader. I have traded pins at Disneyland Paris, Disneyland and in the UK disney stores (where pin trading is really taking off!) So my question is, does the main pin trading shop in DTD stock all the pins that can be found around the park/resorts etc? What I mean is that I am looking to get certain pins to go with my themes, ride pins that I do not yet have, resort pins (I want a pin for each deluxe resort) etc. So would these types of pins be available in the pin shop in DTD as well as in the individual parks/hotels?

Question 2 (kind of a question 3 as well!!)!! Do the pins trading boards/books in the parks and hotels have a section for LE pins? At Disneyland Paris part of the pin trading board has a section where you can trade a LE pin for a LE pin. I have quite a few LE pins that I am willing to trade but will I be able to do this on the boards? If not would I be able to trade these perhaps with the pin traders at DTD (although I am quite nervous about this from the stories I have heard.) I have several LE 500 pins from the UK (they do have the official pin trading logo on the back and are on the origional cards), but would these be frowned upon from the pro pin traders or would they be willing to trade for these?

Thanks.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danauk View Post
OK, questions! Next month will be my 1st trip to WDW since becoming a pin collector and trader. I have traded pins at Disneyland Paris, Disneyland and in the UK disney stores (where pin trading is really taking off!) So my question is, does the main pin trading shop in DTD stock all the pins that can be found around the park/resorts etc? What I mean is that I am looking to get certain pins to go with my themes, ride pins that I do not yet have, resort pins (I want a pin for each deluxe resort) etc. So would these types of pins be available in the pin shop in DTD as well as in the individual parks/hotels?
The jewlery store at MK, Frontierland Trading Post in MK, Pin Central at EPCOT, the shop under the hat in DHS, and the pin trading shop at AK (not sure of the name) all have a ton of pins. They all will have your resorts, some attractions, LEs, and general pins. I know that there are some pins exclusive to each park, but there are just a few. I bought an E Ticket Space Mountain pin at EPCOT . Just shop at any of those five, or Pin Traders at DTD.
Quote:
Question 2 (kind of a question 3 as well!!)!! Do the pins trading boards/books in the parks and hotels have a section for LE pins? At Disneyland Paris part of the pin trading board has a section where you can trade a LE pin for a LE pin. I have quite a few LE pins that I am willing to trade but will I be able to do this on the boards? If not would I be able to trade these perhaps with the pin traders at DTD (although I am quite nervous about this from the stories I have heard.) I have several LE 500 pins from the UK (they do have the official pin trading logo on the back and are on the origional cards), but would these be frowned upon from the pro pin traders or would they be willing to trade for these?

Thanks.
No, there is no special place for LE pins at the Resorts and Boards. Please tell me where you are staying, however, I may be able to tell you when a few boards come out, or where they are at the resorts. If you want to trade a LE for an LE, you should do it with traders at DTD. If you see an LE you want on a board, book, or cast lanyard, just trade any trader for it, even if it's not LE. I'm sure that some traders will accept your LEs from Europe for trade, and some will not.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

Thanks for the info on where to look for pins. We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, although if I am in Epcot and a board is coming out at the Boardwalk or Yacht/Beach Club I would be happy to go over there for a while. I don't think I will try to trade any of my LE pins at DTD, in fact one of the sets I quite like so I might keep them for myself!! Perhaps I will save them for future visits to DLRP or even give them to people on the Dis exchanges if they are characters others want.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
MountNittany

Okay, I'm sure you know where the International Gateway is. At the Yacht Club, the pin board comes out in the Fittings and Fairings shops at 10:30AM and 5PM. These times may change by next month, but I bet they won't. If you go to the upper level shop in the Boardwalk (the lobby level), they will take the board out any time. The Swan and Dolphin shops also take their board out any time. From best to worst, I have the boards listed below.

Dolphin
Boardwalk
Swan
Yacht Club (They have awful pins! It despretaly needs a refresh. Check anyways, just in case they did refresh it. All I saw were the Mystery pins that were $1 with a $30 purchase this year, and booster/starter pack pins.)

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
MountNittany

Now, I'm curious about this. How do people sell newer pins cheaper than list price? This pin wasn't available in the World of Disney where you get a Visa Cardmember discount. Is there any other discount you can get on Disney pins?

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?p....1248314494.v3 was selling for $10 with free shipping on eBay BIN. Listed at $12.95 at Disney.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Karen

I am by no means an expert either.
I know CMs get a discount, so maybe that is how they get circulated at a lower price...just my guess.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #14
Danauk

Nancy

MountNittany, thanks for the info about the boards. I think we might be around the Boardwalk one day at around 5pm so I will check the board out at the Yacht Club. If not our trip after this one we will be back at the Beach CLub Villas so any info on that area is useful. At the other locations if you ask will they show you the board at any time?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
MountNittany

Yes, the Swan, Dolphin, and BW all show you the board at any time.

LET'S GO PENS!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: