Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #1306
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
Superman (40"),
Superman?

I believe you mean Spider-Man . And I can assure you, the name mixup is very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

I'm trying to show myself all the other rides in the park that he will like, and we would never delay a Disney trip just b/c of height stuff, but I'm really bummed about Universal making a ride for 48" that sounds so cool...
Universal did not create the height requirement. It was Established by the Ride Manufacturer for Safety.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #1307
poohsneighbour
Earning My Ears

To be honest I am not surprised the height limit for the ride is 48" - I was concerned it might be higher! Most kids get to that height around 7 years old so the vast majority of visitors can ride it and it needs to attract the older 'Harry Potter' audience too. Too many mild rides would suggest the area is more for young kids which I don't believe is the intention. After all the books are set in secondary school (11+) and the later films have a 12A rating so are not really suitable for children that young! I agree the younger ones should be allowed to walk through the ride queue to get a feel for the castle but am not at all disappointed at the limit. Last time we visited my youngest got quite upset at the number of rides he couldn't experience due to his height but he has to learn that restrictions are there for his safety and was soon distracted with a toy dragon!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #1308
KimRaye
DIS Sponsor*Silver
Still a Late Nite DISer
Just a simple hello
Enjoys a good Yankee Candle night

Even adults can be harmed, permanently hurt, by rides that MEET the requirements. HEED the warnings! My brother is a, thankfully living, altho permanetly scarred adult, after a ride - NOT AT DISNEY or UNIVERSAL tho. Respect the requirements.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #1309
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Some new pictures here:

http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com...es-update.html
Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #1310
BuckeyeGuy28
"Why So Serious"

im glad the height requirement is 48...

that means that the restraints are probably over-the-shoulder or an individual lap bar. Rides like that might go upside-down once or twice (and do nothing too fancy) and throw you around a good amount without bruising you like HRRR. Its like a mix between Spidey and Hulk, which I think is the perfect combination for a new ride--its not one extreme of intensity, its right in the middle.

Also, I remember going to Cedar Point when DS was 6 and he was just over 48" and could do about every ride and had a blast--i think any kid who is old enough to be into the HP books and understand the movies well enough to appreciate a ride after them will get onto the ride just fine
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #1311
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy28 View Post

Also, I remember going to Cedar Point when DS was 6 and he was just over 48" and could do about every ride and had a blast--i think any kid who is old enough to be into the HP books and understand the movies well enough to appreciate a ride after them will get onto the ride just fine
I don't care that the height is what is is due to safety concerns- esp cause I have a DD5 that is under the height by a couple inches so we have zero chance of getting on it. However the statement that any kid old enough to be into the HP books and understand the movies will get on isn't true. My DD loves the HP series more than anything right now.

Also, my DS9 (who is on the smaller side) is only 48" even. And that depends on what shoes he's wearing! lol. If I only had him even I would still be worried about getting on the ride if he wasn't standing up tall. Luckily he could care less about rides

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #1312
snowbunny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy28 View Post
the restraints are probably over-the-shoulder or an individual lap bar. Rides like that might go upside-down once or twice (and do nothing too fancy) and throw you around a good amount
I will be really upset if that statement describes the Forbidden Journey
Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #1313
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

My DDs are very petite - I doubt even my almost 9 yo will get to 48 inches in time! But the 48 inches tells me that I will love the ride, because it will have enough of a thrill to be exciting! I'm disappointed (for their sake) that my DDs are so petite - I'm not really disappointed in the type of ride it's going to be, necessitating such a height restriction. I just really hope that they WILL be able to come into the queue with us, and then take a "chicken" exit.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #1314
Minnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Me too I don't do upside down rides..... really hope this is a ride that everyone can enjoy. We've never been to IOA as we do not due coasters or high intensity rides. If we go I guess it would be for the theming and shops if this is true... bummer
Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #1315
lildamo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Me too I don't do upside down rides..... really hope this is a ride that everyone can enjoy. We've never been to IOA as we do not due coasters or high intensity rides. If we go I guess it would be for the theming and shops if this is true... bummer
There's been no rumour or reason to believe that the ride will go upside down. It may shake you around a little (but so does Cat in the Hat, and rather violently IMO! ), and there may be some dips and whatnot, but unless Universal is keeping a very large secret, it is not a roller coaster and won't be near as intense as The Hulk!

That being said, it's not going to be a kiddie ride either
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #1316
IndianaSPEED
Earning My Ears

If you look into the rides technology (Robocoaster) you'll find out that the arms can twist upside down quite easily and quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if this ride does go "up-side" down due to the technology behind it. Even though, it doesn't have to but then I think it wouldn't be very close to as exciting.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #1317
lildamo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSPEED View Post
If you look into the rides technology (Robocoaster) you'll find out that the arms can twist upside down quite easily and quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if this ride does go "up-side" down due to the technology behind it. Even though, it doesn't have to but then I think it wouldn't be very close to as exciting.
Personally, I'd *love* if it did, but I'd be very surprised!
I'm anticipating (as PPs have said) Mummy-level intensities with a 48" height requirement instead of 54" as it is on Hulk/DD.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #1318
Caribbeanprincess
Princess of the Caribbean Seas

I sure hope it doesn't go upside down because I can't handle that and I really want to ride this...

Me 25 ~[SIZE="1"][COLOR="lime"]Trips: April 1996 - Offsite ~ July 1998 - Offsite ~ April 2006 - Offsite ~ December 2007 - Offsite ~ December 2008 -Disney's BoardWalk Inn ~ June 2009 - Disney's AllStar Music ~ December/January 2010-2011 - Disney's AllStar Movies ~ December 2011 - Pop Century ~ December 2012 - Pop Century
Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #1319
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

People are thinking there may be upside down aspects just because that's what KUKA robotic arms are capable of (see Sum of all Thrills at Epcot), although they may make the ride do that.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #1320
mark2311
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildamo View Post
There's been no rumour or reason to believe that the ride will go upside down.
Think of this on a track and that'll be pretty close to what to expect

YouTube
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: