Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #1051
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)
 
TraceyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: ... watching the rugby
Posts: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhinn89 View Post
What dates does this promotional deal begin on?

... from 28th May
__________________
DLP 97, 98, 01, 02 ~ WDW Offsite 92 twice, 93, 94, wedding 95 ~ 99(CBR) ~ 2000(ASMo)
Hallowe'en 2003 (Florida Pines & Polynesian) Oct 2003~ Dec 2004 (Indian Creek and Wilderness Lodge) Dec 2004
Easter 2006 (Calabay Parc & Vero Beach) ~ Easter 2007 (Sunset Lakes Villa & Royal Pacific Resort) Easter 2007
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!


TraceyL is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #1052
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran
 
wdhinn89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,082

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyL View Post
I have this vision of a call centre full of reservation staff, each feeding callers with different dates/stories then monitoring the forums to see which rumours circulate fastest

Laughing away at us, taking bets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyL View Post
... from 28th May
Thanks! Good to know.

I would think it should be open by then. Could be before, but definitely by then.
__________________
wdhinn89 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #1053
ready4mouse
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 406

I went to my AAA office today to pay off my Universal vacation and heard a few intersting things I thought I'd pass on:
- My TA has a mandatory Harry Potter training on Thursday afternoon. She said this wasn't just her office, but nationwide. She is expecting to hear an opening date during this meeting.
-She confirmed the 1 time/express for HP; she also stated that HP would not be open early for those with eay entrance- she said that will be reserved for special HP packages.
-Not sure if this had been answered before but the height requirement for Forbidden Journey is going to be 48"

Nothing earth shattering, but thought I'd pass it on....
ready4mouse is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #1054
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 230

Would anyone be willing to share links to these WWoHP specific vacation packages, (the ones that promise early entry and include HP themed gifts)?

Edited to add:
One, the 48" although a bummer for younger wizards, may confirm my friends hints that we will be feel as if we are about 90 degrees vertical at one point in the ride, although he did say we would not be upside down at any point.

Two, I know we've speculated about what The Three Broomsticks would be, and the general consensus was Counter Service. Well the newest Universal brochure confirms this: http://www.univacations.com/pdf/2010_UNI_brochure.PDF Page 9

Last edited by MadeToLove; 02-16-2010 at 01:44 PM.
MadeToLove is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #1055
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)
 
TraceyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: ... watching the rugby
Posts: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
Would anyone be willing to share links to these WWoHP specific vacation packages, (the ones that promise early entry and include HP themed gifts)?
Virgin Holidays in the UK - for complete packages booked with with Universal tickets. Early entry (7:30am), escorted to a "welcome" meeting in Mythos (to sell more tickets/excursions etc) then early entry to WWHP
__________________
DLP 97, 98, 01, 02 ~ WDW Offsite 92 twice, 93, 94, wedding 95 ~ 99(CBR) ~ 2000(ASMo)
Hallowe'en 2003 (Florida Pines & Polynesian) Oct 2003~ Dec 2004 (Indian Creek and Wilderness Lodge) Dec 2004
Easter 2006 (Calabay Parc & Vero Beach) ~ Easter 2007 (Sunset Lakes Villa & Royal Pacific Resort) Easter 2007
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!


TraceyL is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #1056
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran
 
mom2aidanNpiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4mouse View Post
-Not sure if this had been answered before but the height requirement for Forbidden Journey is going to be 48"

Nothing earth shattering, but thought I'd pass it on....
That will break my 5 year old DD's heart! She is only about 44" and is OBSESSED with HP. She has seen all the movies over and over and claims she wants to marry harry. lol. She is also a huge thrill seeker. Bummer about that. I'm hoping if it is the 48" req. that we can at least go through the castle to look around? I'll be really dispointed if not.
__________________
Me DH DS12 DD8


DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #1057
nerdboyrockstar
Mouseketeer
I want a t-shirt that says "Everything is better at Disneyland"
 
nerdboyrockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aidanNpiper View Post
That will break my 5 year old DD's heart! She is only about 44" and is OBSESSED with HP. She has seen all the movies over and over and claims she wants to marry harry. lol. She is also a huge thrill seeker. Bummer about that. I'm hoping if it is the 48" req. that we can at least go through the castle to look around? I'll be really dispointed if not.
I'm sure they'll have child swap similar to other attractions in the park so you can either do that or exit when it comes time to board.
__________________
- Anthony
nerdboyrockstar is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #1058
leslie@dvcstore
Mouseketeer
 
leslie@dvcstore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Davenport, FL
Posts: 270

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Great pics! looking forward as well to see the finishing product!
leslie@dvcstore is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #1059
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran
 
mom2aidanNpiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdboyrockstar View Post
I'm sure they'll have child swap similar to other attractions in the park so you can either do that or exit when it comes time to board.
Child swap would be great if I were traveling with another adult. Its just me and the kiddos I worry about even getting in the queue though. Time will tell!
__________________
Me DH DS12 DD8


DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #1060
Oh2binFL
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the pics and information. We are heading down in May and this thread is getting us very excited for the trip. Keep up the good work!!
Oh2binFL is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #1061
nerdboyrockstar
Mouseketeer
I want a t-shirt that says "Everything is better at Disneyland"
 
nerdboyrockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aidanNpiper View Post
Child swap would be great if I were traveling with another adult. Its just me and the kiddos I worry about even getting in the queue though. Time will tell!
I'm sure it won't be anything to worry about. I'm sure they'll get "Oh, we just wanted to see Hogwarts" a lot.
__________________
- Anthony
nerdboyrockstar is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM   #1062
nerdboyrockstar
Mouseketeer
I want a t-shirt that says "Everything is better at Disneyland"
 
nerdboyrockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
Would anyone be willing to share links to these WWoHP specific vacation packages, (the ones that promise early entry and include HP themed gifts)?

Edited to add:
One, the 48" although a bummer for younger wizards, may confirm my friends hints that we will be feel as if we are about 90 degrees vertical at one point in the ride, although he did say we would not be upside down at any point.

Two, I know we've speculated about what The Three Broomsticks would be, and the general consensus was Counter Service. Well the newest Universal brochure confirms this: http://www.univacations.com/pdf/2010_UNI_brochure.PDF Page 9
BTW, thanks for posting this. I got really excited reading the brochure, CHILLS even with seeing it on the park map.
__________________
- Anthony
nerdboyrockstar is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #1063
TraceyL
Always planning........
I'm a very patient Welsh believer!
Did you know that one of the TF's is part Welsh, Tracey? :)
 
TraceyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: ... watching the rugby
Posts: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
Would anyone be willing to share links to these WWoHP specific vacation packages, (the ones that promise early entry and include HP themed gifts)?

Edited to add:
One, the 48" although a bummer for younger wizards, may confirm my friends hints that we will be feel as if we are about 90 degrees vertical at one point in the ride, although he did say we would not be upside down at any point.

Two, I know we've speculated about what The Three Broomsticks would be, and the general consensus was Counter Service. Well the newest Universal brochure confirms this: http://www.univacations.com/pdf/2010_UNI_brochure.PDF Page 9

I notice they (like VH) are also advertising "exclusive" early access - though they don't specifically say WWHP, just IOA
__________________
DLP 97, 98, 01, 02 ~ WDW Offsite 92 twice, 93, 94, wedding 95 ~ 99(CBR) ~ 2000(ASMo)
Hallowe'en 2003 (Florida Pines & Polynesian) Oct 2003~ Dec 2004 (Indian Creek and Wilderness Lodge) Dec 2004
Easter 2006 (Calabay Parc & Vero Beach) ~ Easter 2007 (Sunset Lakes Villa & Royal Pacific Resort) Easter 2007
Hallowe'en 2007 Sunset Lakes again & HRH ~ Hallowe'en 2008 Highlands Reserve Villa & HRH
Christmas & New Year 2009 Bella Vida, HRH & Pop ~ Jul/Aug 2010 back for Harry Potter
Christmas 2012 OKW/Bahama Bay - Solo!!



Last edited by TraceyL; 02-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.
TraceyL is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #1064
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyL View Post
I notice they (like VH) are also advertising "exclusive" early access - though they don't specifically say WWHP, just IOA
I suspect they know that crowds will be massive once Potterland opens and are thinking by letting hotel guests in early, even if they don't have HP open early, they'll spread out the early morning crowds a bit. Otherwise, the minute the ropes drop every single guest will be heading straight for HP making early morning lines two hours long from the word go.

I've been on several theme park fan sites recently, and I've noticed that there are a lot of people who don't fully appreciate how crazy this place is going to be in a few months. You can't judge what crowds are going to be like by looking at crowd patterns when other theme park lands and rides opened. This isn't going to be anything like when Disney opened Toy Mania, or Universal opened RRR, and the crowds for those areas swelled with locals and theme park junkies wanting to try out the newest attraction.

Yes, there will be the influx of park junkies and locals, but there will be a new and more terrifying beast that will take over IOA later this year: The die-hard geeky Harry Potter fans who rarely step foot in theme parks. And there are thousands of them.

The Potter franchise has millions of fans worldwide. And one of the reasons for its mass appeal is that people want to live in Harry's world. That's why so many of them dress up in costume for movie and book releases, have themed parties, etc. Until now, there have been few places they can go to experience even a piece of Harry's world; there a traveling museum (which is fairly new), a studio tour of props at the WB lot in Hollywood, a store in LA ( www.whimsicalley.com ), and the annual fan events (which are taking place at the park this summer by the way).

So a warning to you muggles out there, whatever the crowds at Universal would normally be like for the season and for an opening, double it, triple it!!!! Expect hour waits in Express lines during off season. Expect to be surrounded by clueless tourists who will stop and gape at the castle right in front of your path. Expect them to queue up at anything and everything, singing Potter Puppet Pals songs about a guy named Snape, and waving sticks in your face. They will happily wait for hours to have a wand choose them and then pay $50 to walk out of the store with it. They will happily wait in line for a tiny, expensive glass of nauseating Butterbeer and excliam it the tastiest drink they've ever imbided. They'll be the ones standing in 100 degree weather wearing brightly colored red and yellow wool scarves. And they'll be very upset if they hear any muggles in line with them complain about anything, especially about their presence, (watch out for Avada Kedavra's).

So, if this sounds like your worst nightmare scenario, you may want to wait until things calm down a bit....like 2012.

signed: Die-hard, geeky Harry Potter freak.
MadeToLove is offline  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #1065
Rip
Proud Redhead
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,904

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
I suspect they know that crowds will be massive once Potterland opens and are thinking by letting hotel guests in early, even if they don't have HP open early, they'll spread out the early morning crowds a bit. Otherwise, the minute the ropes drop every single guest will be heading straight for HP making early morning lines two hours long from the word go.

I've been on several theme park fan sites recently, and I've noticed that there are a lot of people who don't fully appreciate how crazy this place is going to be in a few months. You can't judge what crowds are going to be like by looking at crowd patterns when other theme park lands and rides opened. This isn't going to be anything like when Disney opened Toy Mania, or Universal opened RRR, and the crowds for those areas swelled with locals and theme park junkies wanting to try out the newest attraction.

Yes, there will be the influx of park junkies and locals, but there will be a new and more terrifying beast that will take over IOA later this year: The die-hard geeky Harry Potter fans who rarely step foot in theme parks. And there are thousands of them.

The Potter franchise has millions of fans worldwide. And one of the reasons for its mass appeal is that people want to live in Harry's world. That's why so many of them dress up in costume for movie and book releases, have themed parties, etc. Until now, there have been few places they can go to experience even a piece of Harry's world; there a traveling museum (which is fairly new), a studio tour of props at the WB lot in Hollywood, a store in LA ( www.whimsicalley.com ), and the annual fan events (which are taking place at the park this summer by the way).

So a warning to you muggles out there, whatever the crowds at Universal would normally be like for the season and for an opening, double it, triple it!!!! Expect hour waits in Express lines during off season. Expect to be surrounded by clueless tourists who will stop and gape at the castle right in front of your path. Expect them to queue up at anything and everything, singing Potter Puppet Pals songs about a guy named Snape, and waving sticks in your face. They will happily wait for hours to have a wand choose them and then pay $50 to walk out of the store with it. They will happily wait in line for a tiny, expensive glass of nauseating Butterbeer and excliam it the tastiest drink they've ever imbided. They'll be the ones standing in 100 degree weather wearing brightly colored red and yellow wool scarves. And they'll be very upset if they hear any muggles in line with them complain about anything, especially about their presence, (watch out for Avada Kedavra's).

So, if this sounds like your worst nightmare scenario, you may want to wait until things calm down a bit....like 2012.

signed: Die-hard, geeky Harry Potter freak.
Best description of what to expect I've read, I think you're right (and I'm not a HP freak).
Rip is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You're the best parents in the world! I gotta pee! Where's My Tooth? Trip report! mickeystoontown Completed Trip Reports 1737 09-02-2009 04:20 PM
I want to tell the world about WISH -- or at least NC getnthinr Events/Competition 53 08-05-2009 12:16 PM
REAL WORLD watchers....they're moving in!!! MomNeedsVacay Community Board 9 07-03-2009 03:20 PM
Walt disney world annual passes daryle330 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 3 07-02-2009 07:19 PM
Saying Hello in World Showcase and other questions Christopher Robin Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 3 07-02-2009 06:29 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: