Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #976
xxxxvickyxxxx
Earning My Ears

I think it would be a big shame if JK and the main 3 werent there for opening. I hope its open before we go though it would be great to see some of them but I think its going to be busy enough!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #977
spima3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie13_15 View Post
I am sure this has already been asked but I can't read through all these. When are the dates for this opening? We are going June 5th.
This is the same time I had planned on going, but I hesitate to book anything without knowing if WW will be open or not by this time. I had planned on a two week vacation, do a few other things in FL while we are there, but I would positively hate to go and not see WWoHP.
It will probably be the last trip we make to FL for a very long time, so it's very frustrating, not being able to plan with any certainty.

Will it be open in early June? or will it not? Educated guesses anyone?

The only other time we could go is mid August, and the kids would rather not go right before school. Would delaying our trip until 6/12 make much difference? I'm reading that early June is a slightly less crowded time, but how much worse can a week or two be?

Last edited by spima3; 02-09-2010 at 08:04 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #978
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post
I think it will be open in June, but they may still be working a few kinks out.

I've got a friend who is working on this project who said they were told to have everything up and running before the Grand Opening/Memorial Day. That's not to say the Grand Opening is Memorial Day. This person wasn't allowed to tell me what date that would be as that's very hush hush still.

My guess is that it will be sometime between May 21st and 29th. We know that several of the actors have said they are coming in May, and one even said late May (though I can't remember which one). Also, the Universal hotels were blacked out for the weekend of the 21st for a while, suggesting that a large event was taking place where they would need to ensure they had enough rooms for the events guests, and a grand opening with lots of rooms for press, celebs, and contest winners would fit that bill the best. In addition, the contest sponsored by the Today show for a class of school kids to get to go to the opening states that the winners will be selected April 23rd - 29th, and then will have about 25 days to make their travel arrangements. This would have them going to Universal during that magic week I've just stated. (And by the way, although it's not stated in the rules anywhere, I'm sure Today is hoping to get the class there for the actual day of the opening to give them a unique angle with which to cover it....i.e. "let's follow these HP loving kids around", and if they do that, I'm sure those kids will get to meet the celebs and maybe ride the rides with some of them - makes good press for NBC and Universal). I wish I had kids.

And on an off topic.... Does anyone else have the dyslexic moment I have everytime I see the abreviation WWoHP and interpret it as WWW . IHOP ? So forgive me if I sometimes refer to it as Potterland in the future.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #979
Clifton
Earning My Wizardhat

Since i'm not a Potter fan, going on grand opening is out. I plan to go see it when I do HHN 20 and the only trip to UO this year.

Even if you're not a fan, it's definetly something new to try out
1st trip to MK (late 80's), HS/MGM-Studios (94), MK (97), Night of Joy MK (97), AK (98 when everythings new lol), Epcot (97), Night of Joy (98), Night of Joy (99), Grad Nite MK (00), AK, Epcot, HS, MK solo (07), Park hop AK, MK, Epcot (7/24/07 Bday), Park hop AK, Epcot and MK (4/08), AK (4/09), MK, Epcot, AK, DHS (2011)
Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #980
xApril
DIS Veteran

I've never really seen the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books, so I haven't been too excited about this.

I think it looks cool and I'll definitely check it out. If it's not my thing, I'll just go back to the other park and see Horror Makeup Show and stuff with no wait.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #981
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
I think it will be open in June, but they may still be working a few kinks out.

I've got a friend who is working on this project who said they were told to have everything up and running before the Grand Opening/Memorial Day. That's not to say the Grand Opening is Memorial Day. This person wasn't allowed to tell me what date that would be as that's very hush hush still.

My guess is that it will be sometime between May 21st and 29th. We know that several of the actors have said they are coming in May, and one even said late May (though I can't remember which one). Also, the Universal hotels were blacked out for the weekend of the 21st for a while, suggesting that a large event was taking place where they would need to ensure they had enough rooms for the events guests, and a grand opening with lots of rooms for press, celebs, and contest winners would fit that bill the best. In addition, the contest sponsored by the Today show for a class of school kids to get to go to the opening states that the winners will be selected April 23rd - 29th, and then will have about 25 days to make their travel arrangements. This would have them going to Universal during that magic week I've just stated.
Thank you for this analysis, MadeToLove! I'm hoping it's Memorial Day weekend or later. I'm checking on this every day so that I can change my hotel reservations to the correct date, and I certainly hope that the Universal hotels don't have the grand opening time blocked out. That would not be good!

Hopefully, they'll make the announcement soon, and then the daily-watchers like me can jump on the hotel reservations pronto. Here's me checking constantly:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us hopeful-grand-opening-attendees! Here's me cheering us on:

Me DH DD:
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #982
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post
This is the same time I had planned on going, but I hesitate to book anything without knowing if WW will be open or not by this time. I had planned on a two week vacation, do a few other things in FL while we are there, but I would positively hate to go and not see WWoHP.
It will probably be the last trip we make to FL for a very long time, so it's very frustrating, not being able to plan with any certainty.

The only other time we could go is mid August, and the kids would rather not go right before school. Would delaying our trip until 6/12 make much difference? I'm reading that early June is a slightly less crowded time, but how much worse can a week or two be?
My only suggestion is to keep an eye on message boards who deal more intensely with this issue. The best one is probably here

http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/...f-Harry-Potter
Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #983
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
My only suggestion is to keep an eye on message boards who deal more intensely with this issue. The best one is probably here

Thanks for the link, damo. Now I have another place to check obsessively.

Me DH DD:
Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #984
Poly-Anna
Mouseketeer

Thank you Phamton!

I was hoping someone would address the issue! Kinda got out of hand.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #985
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post

For me Orlando United is the best for the WWHP because they have guys like BriMan (the administrator of the site) and Disneyhead that go to IOA almost every day.

However, IMHO the very best place to know the latest on anything on theme parks is Screamscape. They will give you links to the sites with the lastest news or rumors on anything.

For instance, this is the latest info they have regarding WWHP:

Quote:

2010 - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - (2/8/10) Take a look at whatís been going on around Islands of Adventure lately in the latest update to RCPro, including a good look around the Wizarding World. Of course if you really want a unique look at the Potter-verse, then head over to Orlando United where they took a helicopter tour over the park this past week to get a really good look at everything. One sharp eyed reader has even spotted what looks like a covered up Buckbeak figure next to the coaster track before the lift hill on the Flying Hippogriff.
Also rumors about a possible late March soft opening of the Wizarding World (ride or no ride) are still everywhere. Of course it is also quite interesting to see in writing under the terms of use for the Florida Resident 2-Day / 2-Park pass that your ďTicket expires 30 days after use or in full on March 19, 2010.Ē I find it quite interesting that they would choose March 19th as a strange deadline for these tickets, donít you think?
On a related news item, weíve been told from an insider that Dueling Dragons is slated to close down for itís final transformation into Dragonís Challenge at the end of February 26th.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #986
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Images courtesy of Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com

Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #987
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Images courtesy of Orlando United

Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #988
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pacho View Post
Quote:
I find it quite interesting that they would choose March 19th as a strange deadline for these tickets, donít you think?
On a related news item, weíve been told from an insider that Dueling Dragons is slated to close down for itís final transformation into Dragonís Challenge at the end of February 26th.

I have heard DD will close after River Adventure comes back from rehab, which is slated for early March.

We'll know soon enough...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #989
frequency
Mouseketeer

3 broomsticks menu

One of the menu items listed on the universal website is "Great Feast Platter". Could that be a buffet? I know we are think this will be a CS restaurant like The Oak Tavern was but any chance it could include buffet too? I kind of get a Biergarten vibe from it.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #990
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Disneyhead, Orlando United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descendo
Because pretty much none of my questions get answered I shorten them. That one there was a short, shortened message (it was ignored twice). The question is: In Hogsmeade, one of the buildings is incomplete (from the Ariel shots). It is missing part of a roof and wall and inside, it has something blue. Will they ever fill this building up? The building is between Honeydukes and the Three Broomsticks. Another question is: on the toilets, it has a sloped, pointy roof, but it stops halfway back on the building. Will this roof ever stretch right across to the lake side? I am pretty sure no-one reads long comments; most people dont even read me short comments. One time I put a wizard swear in the middle. Chances are no one is reading this either... Another question (it has already been answered, but I need to check again), is there a way to find my previous posts? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyhead
OK, here is the blue thing that Descendo was talking about. My guess is, if it not air conditioning, it is something to do with the snow machines.

To hint at what the trees/landscaping will look like.Here are some of the new trees they have already put in:

Here is where I believe the lockers for Dragon Challenge will be:

And finally, a guess as to where things will be inside of the Hogwarts show building:

Red= Entry Hall with moving staircase (I think the big box-thing on the roof may be the mechinism that moves the stairs)
Blue= Classrooms/ House Common Rooms/ Dumbledore's office (Queue pre-show rooms)
Green= Great Hall with Load/Unload
Black= Filtch's Emporium
Lavender= Exit Corridor
Of course the ride itself will be in the major portion on the right.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: