Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #3466
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Holtz View Post
It's not going to be that bad. By September it will have died down.
Yeah...once schools are back in session it should get to a tolerable level...I hope.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #3467
Howellsy
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Holtz View Post
It's not going to be that bad. By September it will have died down.
I think you may be underestimating the unimaginable amount of fans Harry Potter has summounted since 1997. I know people who spend 12 hours waiting for the premieres of the films. I myself spent 4 hours queuing to get the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th books first at our local store and I'm not even the most diehard of fans compared to many people I know.

A 7 hour queue to visit somewhere you've been dreaming of seeing for 13 years is not going to put off hundreds of thousands of hardcore, insane fans.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #3468
Caribbeanprincess
Princess of the Caribbean Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howellsy View Post
I think you may be underestimating the unimaginable amount of fans Harry Potter has summounted since 1997. I know people who spend 12 hours waiting for the premieres of the films. I myself spent 4 hours queuing to get the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th books first at our local store and I'm not even the most diehard of fans compared to many people I know.

A 7 hour queue to visit somewhere you've been dreaming of seeing for 13 years is not going to put off hundreds of thousands of hardcore, insane fans.
Yes, but hardcore fans will always want to be there first. That's something I've learned from being part of various rabid fanbases, they want to be first. So I'm expecting the real hardcores to be there for the next 3 months and then it will slow down. Not saying it will be empty, but it will slow down.

Me 25 ~[SIZE="1"][COLOR="lime"]Trips: April 1996 - Offsite ~ July 1998 - Offsite ~ April 2006 - Offsite ~ December 2007 - Offsite ~ December 2008 -Disney's BoardWalk Inn ~ June 2009 - Disney's AllStar Music ~ December/January 2010-2011 - Disney's AllStar Movies ~ December 2011 - Pop Century ~ December 2012 - Pop Century
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #3469
mum4jenn
My dd is the love of my life!!
Sometimes I get the FRITO BANDITO jingle stuck in my head and I have to sing it all day!!!

WOW!!!! I am SO glad we got in on the sneek preview!! Staying at Portofino Bay was worth every penny!!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #3470
pmdeve
DIS Veteran

With everyone standing in line for Harry Potter, how long is the wait times for the rest of the park?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #3471
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdeve View Post
With everyone standing in line for Harry Potter, how long is the wait times for the rest of the park?
you can check times here: http://66.77.171.132/MobileWeb/ParkMenu.aspx
Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #3472
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howellsy View Post

I agree.

I was in amazon customer service when the books were still being written, and I had the lovely opportunity to talk to people who felt that their books were late if they weren't in their hands 5 minutes after expected. Those people would definitely be happy to stand in lines that long....

But it does sound like a certain kind of fun! Like going to a popular concert and getting there really early, or really just doing anything that you really really want to do, along with many other people.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #3473
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of BBPH, Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPH
The entire map with our brand new 3 year awaited addition :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPH
The new map is up on the website pretty misleading like the rest of the map!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #3474
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pacho View Post
Courtesy of BBPH, Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com
What's "misleading" about the second map?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #3475
tink1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4jenn View Post
WOW!!!! I am SO glad we got in on the sneek preview!! Staying at Portofino Bay was worth every penny!!
Me too, we added a day to our stay at RPR so we could ride FJ as it had closed down the first day we got into WWOHP on May 29. Waking up at 6:00 am on vacation was well worth it to avoid those crowds.

Hopefully, the crowds will have died down when we go back in Sept-Oct.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #3476
ashleybea
DIS Veteran

I'm going over to Universal next saturday and I'm going over with meers. What time do you guys think I should have them pick me up? I was thinking 7 but seeing those lines...maybe earlier.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #3477
atricks
Mouseketeer

We're not out there today, but apparently the line is pretty much like it was yesterday. Through the whole park and out into Citywalk. Maybe not quite as far back into Citywalk, but still out there. They let people start forming the line inside the park at 6. Onsite guests had a separate entrance to get in to Hogsmeade a bit early.

There is a Pitbull concert tonight at the studios there too. Expect madness, probably all week.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #3478
Lou Holtz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybea View Post
I'm going over to Universal next saturday and I'm going over with meers. What time do you guys think I should have them pick me up? I was thinking 7 but seeing those lines...maybe earlier.
There's just no way to know based on a day and a half how the crowds will be after the grand opening. These are crowds who are huge HP enthusiasts and booked their vacation just because this was the opening day. Who knows what will happen next week?

I wouldn't go earlier than 7. Maybe have them pick you up at 6:45 at the earliest.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #3479
Poly-Anna
Mouseketeer

Glad I went 5/28!

I'm with mum4jenn - so glad we stayed at PBR for Memorial Day weekend. Worth every penny especially after looking at the pictures for Opening Day, we never would have attempted it now. We rode FJ on Friday, 5/28. Got to the park at opening for onsite guests at 8 a.m. and the ride was down until 9. People waited in line for an hour hoping it would get up and running but we refused to and instead did the Dragons ride and Flight of the Hippogriff, walked around. At 9 they opened up the ride and we got in line. The line continuously moved and we were able to ride FJ. I think it broke down shortly after we rode it though. The whole ride experience was awesome and we lucked out because we had no wait. Once was enough for us though and when we went back that weekend we just went shopping in the stores and walked through.

I won't be back til maybe October if the hype calms down a bit, otherwise next year!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #3480
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

I'm so glad I got a TM preview and got my ONE chance to ride a few weeks ago.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: