Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #3121
Slacking
Secretly has the hots for Bloody Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Yes, you can absolutely experience the entire queue and pre-show! In fact, it's set up so you can easily bypass the ride portion. It sounds really nifty.

Also, there's a test seat outside which may give you at least some idea whether you have a chance of fitting on the ride. The only glitch seems to be that the operators are no longer allowed to push the seats closed on people (some folks complained?), so if it can't close by itself, you might not be able to ride when you get inside, even if you could squeeze into the test seat.
Thanks! That's too bad, I don't mind the TMs closing the device for me. Now, is the device just an OST restraint or is there a seat belt involved (I can barely close those seat belts when I do fit fine!)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #3122
Slacking
Secretly has the hots for Bloody Mary

I've learned that when dealing with TMs/CMs during soft openings, take what they say with a grain of salt. Most of the time they're just saying what they told to say (since it is a soft opening, nothing is guaranteed to be open), so IMO, it's always best to wait it out and discover the answer for yourself.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #3123
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacking View Post
Thanks! That's too bad, I don't mind the TMs closing the device for me. Now, is the device just an OST restraint or is there a seat belt involved (I can barely close those seat belts when I do fit fine!)
It looks like this (Shoulder and lap restraint):
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #3124
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
That's not true.
Source, please?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #3125
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Source, please?
Upthread, somewhere, they said GP was told they would have no access today, and then walked in at 9am.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #3126
lildamo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Upthread, somewhere, they said GP was told they would have no access today, and then walked in at 9am.
The reason the GP didn't have access right at 9 today was due to a fire drill at Forbidden Journey. A limited amount of GP people were let in right before 10 and everything seems to still be going smoothly (Twitter reports of FJ being a walk-on despite 30 minute posted wait times).
Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #3127
Magpie

Quote:
Yes, but that person wasn't there. She said she didn't know for sure, just that she'd heard something somewhere.

One of the people who WAS actually there, left at 9:05 after being informed by a staff member that the general public would not be getting in today.

Clearly if the gates DID open to the general public, it was not at 9am.

Edit: Thanks, lildamo! Evidently a few of the public got in at 10am. Aren't soft openings exciting?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #3128
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Yes, but that person wasn't there. She said she didn't know for sure, just that she'd heard something somewhere.

One of the people who WAS actually there, left at 9:05 after being informed by a staff member that the general public would not be getting in today.

See the post RIGHT before yours. GP is in WWoHP.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #3129
Momw/aplan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That was me earlier. I don't know it for a fact was just stating what I had heard.

I just took a look at #potterwatch on twitter and it seems there were some GP let in (some reports say at 9 others say at 10) but it appears it was only a limited number of people let in. Others were apparently turned away.

March 2014- YES! Spring Break at the dark side!!! WooHoo!
Sept/Oct 2012- 3 Nights @ RPR Grownups only for my (BIG) Birthday Weekend!!!
May 2012- Our triumphant return to the dark side!!! (7 nights @ RPR w/ 1 day @ MK & 1 day @ Epcot!)
June 2010- Pre-Grand Opening WWoHP Pkg(3 Nights at Royal Pacific Resort)!!!! <-- Trip Report: (begins w/ post #82)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2478909&page=6
Nov 2009- Our first official family visit to the world! (6 nights at AKL!!)
Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #3130
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momw/aplan View Post
Don't know how true it is, but initial reports are saying the GP was told this morning at the gate that there was no-how no-way they were getting in there today, but then at 9am the doors swung open for them and they are in now.

Yet another example of how you can't really believe anything people at Universal tell you even if they tell it to your face while you're standing there at the entrance.

I haven't heard any reports yet as to how long they are supposedly staying open for today.
The problem is, when you write something like this, no one really notices the "don't know how true it is" part of your message. All they read is "the doors swung open", "they are in now", and the "yet another example" editorial.

So your story gets passed along from one poster to the next, and the next thing you know sme folks are completely convinced that the gates are being thrown wide open at 9am sharp and all the non-package, non-hotel park goers are flooding in and packing the place elbow to elbow, and ruining everything for the folks who bought packages.

But at the same time other folks are saying, "No, only limited numbers got in, and only at 10, and the FJ ride is a walk-on." What's the truth? I don't know, I'm not there and neither are you.

Of course, as a package holder travelling in December, I won't get anything other than an hour early entry and breakfast, as indicated on my e-ticket.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #3131
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:

Edit: Thanks, lildamo! Evidently a few of the public got in at 10am. Aren't soft openings exciting?
I was there. Lines at opening were comparable only to HHN. At 9:05ish, the TM was quite adamant--no opening today, the crowd (which was swelling) needed to disperse. Rumor is a few people got in just before 10 despite this. Bad, bad PR move on Universal's part. Way to flip a bird to your passholders.

FWIW, the HP section is open in Island Trading Co. Wands, shirts, stuffed owls, pins, Quidditch gear, some of the Zonkos gags. Notably no Pumpkin Juice and no specialty candy.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #3132
Magpie

Quote:
See the post RIGHT before yours. GP is in WWoHP.
Yup, notice my edit. And I'll just point out that it was NOT at 9am, according to that post.

Also, that unlike the "gates thrown open" comment earlier, only limited numbers were allowed in, at 10 am.

So, it would appear, in order to test the ride at reasonable capacity, they're letting a few lucky folks in the doors. I think that's wonderful! It's a treat for them, and it makes the ride safer for all of the rest of us.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #3133
Cielei
Up to my ears

Wow, it has been a prolific couple of days.

I have been reading this thread basically since it's inception, posting only occasionally. I'm going to take a break from this thread for a while because I can't get through the negativity and complaints to actually see information that I have been patiently waiting to hear. The tone of the thread seems to have changed and the snark factor from some seems exceptionally high to me (maybe this is not intended as text rarely translates or I am wrong).

I really do sympathize with all of the jilted feelings that people have about their experiences, but it really seems to be taking over everything for the last couple of days. I am not saying that you shouldn't complain on the boards, but maybe a separate thread to handle that would be the better option. I really do hope that you can get past your negative experiences to relive some happy experiences that you had at some point. I also hope that all of you anticipating problems end up having a wonderful vacation!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #3134
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Yup, notice my edit. And I'll just point out that it was NOT at 9am, according to that post.

Also, that unlike the "gates thrown open" comment earlier, only limited numbers were allowed in, at 10 am.

So, it would appear, in order to test the ride at reasonable capacity, they're letting a few lucky folks in the doors. I think that's wonderful! It's a treat for them, and it makes the ride safer for all of the rest of us.
You think it's "wonderful" that Universal treats its guests with such disrespect that there's no rhyme or reason to who they let into the soft open?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #3135
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I was there. Lines at opening were comparable only to HHN. At 9:05ish, the TM was quite adamant--no opening today, the crowd (which was swelling) needed to disperse. Rumor is a few people got in just before 10 despite this. Bad, bad PR move on Universal's part. Way to flip a bird to your passholders.

FWIW, the HP section is open in Island Trading Co. Wands, shirts, stuffed owls, pins, Quidditch gear, some of the Zonkos gags. Notably no Pumpkin Juice and no specialty candy.
How few is a few?

I absolutely do agree with you that Universal should have had an passholders' preview. After all, most of you folks are local and not likely to buy packages or rent hotel rooms. This would have been a good way to make you feel special, and encourage you to renew your passes for next year.

On the other hand, since you have an annual pass and presumably visit a lot, won't you be able to come back all summer and fall and into the winter? (I think I'm jealous... )
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: