Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #3091
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

I think it may be officially time for me to check out of this thread...

Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #3092
Momw/aplan
Mouseketeer

My package breakfast reservation isn't until 9:30. You could choose 8, 8:30, 9, or 9:30 at the time of booking.

I was told repeatedly by Universal that package holders would be allowed into the area at 8am, onsite guests at 8:30 and then (once the GO announcement was made and I called back to see how that affected my vacation) i was told that GP would be allowed in at 9 if they were doing softs by then--and if not, well then hey, "we had the golden ticket" and we'd get to have the whole place practically to ourselves. <-- yes, they DID tell me that.

From what I'm hearing though, everyone got in at 8 today. ??? (EDIT: Okay. I'm looking back over the Twitter and forum postings about this morning and there were only 2 vague reports of GP in at 8. So, maybe they basically squeaked by undetected and it wasn't actually open to GP until 9. I don't know for sure though.)

We will be in the park on the 15th and 16th which I'm expecting to be quite busy as schools will be out by then, word will have spread of any soft openings happening, and the crowd will be building up towards the GO. I was kind of counting on having lower crowds for the first hour so we could ride a few rides and maybe do Olivander's before our bkfst reservation especially since there hasn't been any indication as to whether they'll allow us to stay past 11am or not by then. So, if our time was going to be so limited I hoped that at least surely it would be low crowds for those few hours.

I'm hoping today was a fluke and that my vacation is not actually going be the way it's shaping up to be: No exclusive time whatsoever (everyone in at 8), with huge pre-go crowds and then also get kicked out at 11-12 to boot. Oh, yeah, plus I just learned today that IOA will be closing at 6pm on our second day there (yes, the WHOLE park).

At this moment I'm not exactly feeling like we'll be anywhere close to getting our money's worth out of this vacation. Our two days in the park are costing us almost as much as we spent for 6 days on-site Deluxe at Disney last year (including Free Dining). And we were allowed into ALL the areas of Disney ALL day every day of our visit until quite late at night.

I've been trying to give things a few days this week to see if everything levels out and gets consistent before I jump to any conclusions about what I can expect, but I'm just about sick of the constant emotional ups and downs of this whole pre-vacation experience and of not knowing at all what to expect.

I'll see how things go tomorrow. If I'm not feeling comfortable about it then I will call Universal to see what kind of explanation they have to offer. If I'm not satisfied with what they have to say, then I'll write my letter of complaint. And if I STILL don't feel satisfied with whatever they have to say in response I WILL be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

March 2014- YES! Spring Break at the dark side!!! WooHoo!
Sept/Oct 2012- 3 Nights @ RPR Grownups only for my (BIG) Birthday Weekend!!!
May 2012- Our triumphant return to the dark side!!! (7 nights @ RPR w/ 1 day @ MK & 1 day @ Epcot!)
June 2010- Pre-Grand Opening WWoHP Pkg(3 Nights at Royal Pacific Resort)!!!! <-- Trip Report: (begins w/ post #82)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2478909&page=6
Nov 2009- Our first official family visit to the world! (6 nights at AKL!!)

Last edited by Momw/aplan; 06-01-2010 at 09:04 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #3093
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I see that this thread is still negative. Like Dax I'm outta here....
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #3094
WWEDUDE

I am in a head cast
Excuse me while i go punch something
Don't Rip Off Dis People

Sooo, I went to the park this morning, and visited WWOHP, I figured I would post a review, so warning: minor spoiler alert.

----
Hogmeade:

I thought Universal did a good job making it magical, entering and having the steam come off the train. Honeyduke's/Zonko's was a fun shop, lots of bells and whistles in Zonkos, and they welcome you with shouting and bell ringing. Some cool little things in here, including Sneakoscope (I got one of those) and some prank stuff. Honeydukes had lots of candy, including bulk and some fancy HP treats. Including Chocolate Frogs, Peppermint Toads, Chocolate Cauldrons, and other exclusive items. Olivanders was a cool experience, a very quaint shop, and they allow a set number in at one time. One person gets the wand to choose them, which is neat. Some cool effects in here, then you enter the Owl Post where you can buy a wand. Dervish and Banges has clothing, brooms, and other HP stuff. You can also see the Monster Book of Monsters. The Hogs Head Pub was very pub-like, and the hogs head looks cool. I didn't get to check out the Three Broomsticks, though. I stopped on the butterbeer cart on the way out, and I loved this drink. The foam on top was great, and the drink was very light. The empty patio of the Three Broomsticks was a great place to enjoy it.

Dragon's Challenge:
Walking through the arch, you follow a path filled with signs for the contestants of the Triwizard Tournament. After seeing the Light Blue Ford from the movies, you enter the castle, which welcomes the Triwizard Tournament contestants, you are then in the Champions Tent with the Goblet of Fire (which was not working). From there it is basically a cave, like DD. You do get to see the Triwizard Cup, Golden Eggs, and Floating Candles. It was a good experience, but not that much of a retheme.

Flight of the Hippogriff:
I decided to try this, being it was walk-on. You see Hagrids Hut, then you are basically on the ride. After leaving the station, you can bow to an AA Hippogriff.

Forbidden Journey:
Obviously the highlight of the section, and with good reason. The line is spectacular, going through the dungeons, green house, portrait room, Dumbledore's Office, DATDA Class Room, and more! Boarding has a moving walkway, and it seems like it was fast moving. I won't give away the ride, but it is quite fun. On the way out you enter Flitch's Emporium with tons of HP Stuff.

----

Sorry for the quick report, but I'm quite tired from a long day. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I also have pictures of quite a lot of stuff, that I won't post because much of it probably is. But if anyone has any requests, I can certainly post them

- Dude
Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #3095
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEDUDE View Post
Sooo, I went to the park this morning, and visited WWOHP, I figured I would post a review, so warning: minor spoiler alert.

----
Hogmeade:

I thought Universal did a good job making it magical, entering and having the steam come off the train. Honeyduke's/Zonko's was a fun shop, lots of bells and whistles in Zonkos, and they welcome you with shouting and bell ringing. Some cool little things in here, including Sneakoscope (I got one of those) and some prank stuff. Honeydukes had lots of candy, including bulk and some fancy HP treats. Including Chocolate Frogs, Peppermint Toads, Chocolate Cauldrons, and other exclusive items. Olivanders was a cool experience, a very quaint shop, and they allow a set number in at one time. One person gets the wand to choose them, which is neat. Some cool effects in here, then you enter the Owl Post where you can buy a wand. Dervish and Banges has clothing, brooms, and other HP stuff. You can also see the Monster Book of Monsters. The Hogs Head Pub was very pub-like, and the hogs head looks cool. I didn't get to check out the Three Broomsticks, though. I stopped on the butterbeer cart on the way out, and I loved this drink. The foam on top was great, and the drink was very light. The empty patio of the Three Broomsticks was a great place to enjoy it.

Dragon's Challenge:
Walking through the arch, you follow a path filled with signs for the contestants of the Triwizard Tournament. After seeing the Light Blue Ford from the movies, you enter the castle, which welcomes the Triwizard Tournament contestants, you are then in the Champions Tent with the Goblet of Fire (which was not working). From there it is basically a cave, like DD. You do get to see the Triwizard Cup, Golden Eggs, and Floating Candles. It was a good experience, but not that much of a retheme.

Flight of the Hippogriff:
I decided to try this, being it was walk-on. You see Hagrids Hut, then you are basically on the ride. After leaving the station, you can bow to an AA Hippogriff.

Forbidden Journey:
Obviously the highlight of the section, and with good reason. The line is spectacular, going through the dungeons, green house, portrait room, Dumbledore's Office, DATDA Class Room, and more! Boarding has a moving walkway, and it seems like it was fast moving. I won't give away the ride, but it is quite fun. On the way out you enter Flitch's Emporium with tons of HP Stuff.

----

Sorry for the quick report, but I'm quite tired from a long day. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I also have pictures of quite a lot of stuff, that I won't post because much of it probably is. But if anyone has any requests, I can certainly post them

- Dude
Oops still here! I'm glad because I like your review.

Did you see any tall people ride? What time did the area open to the GP? Sigh...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #3096
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

WWEDUDE, I was wondering if GP was allowed in at 8 as rumors have been saying?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #3097
Momw/aplan
Mouseketeer

Dax, and Planogirl, and anyone else who is tired of the supposed negativity:

I'm sorry if this is all stressing you out, but where else are those of us who are trying to figure out what our expectations should be at this point for our upcoming vacations supposed to talk about all of this if not in this forum?

I would absolutely LOVE to be full of rainbows and unicorns right now, giddy about our upcoming trip, but that went right out the window the second Universal started jerking us around.

Perhaps I'll start a separate thread for pre-go package holders to discuss all this without offending anyone or being told to suck it up?

May 2012- Our triumphant return to the dark side!!! (7 nights @ RPR w/ 1 day @ MK & 1 day @ Epcot!)
June 2010- Pre-Grand Opening WWoHP Pkg(3 Nights at Royal Pacific Resort)!!!! <-- Trip Report: (begins w/ post #82)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2478909&page=6
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #3098
WWEDUDE

I am in a head cast
Don't Rip Off Dis People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Oops still here! I'm glad because I like your review.

Did you see any tall people ride? What time did the area open to the GP? Sigh...
I saw some people a little above 6', I didn't have any line, so I couldn't see many people board. But I noticed they asked people to try out the test seats who wouldn't need to worry about it at other rides. There is an exit right before unload for those who don't fit, I would check outside the ride if you are worried about it, but even if you don't fit, definitely go through the queue, its amazing!

We were told Friday there would be no soft opening by an event staff, now I knew this wasn't the case, but I was told that anyone stay at the hotel could go in the morning. Now I come down quite often, and only stay onsite during HHN. But because I got a rate of 140 with my AP (It was 250 before the discount), I decided to spend a bit, so I could go to WW before I fly out. I got to the gate at 7, and they opened the gate at around 7:50, and then the masses power walked to HP. Finished the park at around 9:30, and start walking out. I noticed that more people were coming in, and that the event staff lined up near JP Temp Bridge weren't checking hotel keys, so I'm guessing it was open at or very soon after opening at 9.

Also they were checking "envelopes" and letting those with them to enter the park before 8 (time of hotel guests), with a tour guide. I don't know if this was package or not, but it was something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai View Post
WWEDUDE, I was wondering if GP was allowed in at 8 as rumors have been saying?
To my knowledge, no. When I lined up at the turnstile shortly after 7, I was asked for my hotel key. It is possible after this they did allow the GP.. but I didn't see it.

Let me know if you have anymore questions/picture request!

- Dude
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #3099
lildamo
Mouseketeer

The GP was let in at 9, package-holders and on-site guests still had their hour of early entry.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #3100
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran

Well the good news is that the line constantly moves. It seems like it eats a lot of people really quick. A bunch more pictures show off a lot more detail, including the Pumpkin Juice which looks like it's sold by the six pack to take home!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #3101
Mad Hattered
I had a stick of CareFree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momw/aplan View Post
Perhaps I'll start a separate thread for pre-go package holders to discuss all this without offending anyone or being told to suck it up?
In all honesty, I wish the package complaints did have it's own thread. If you start it....they will come!
I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs. There would never be an “Escalator Temporarily Out of Order” sign. Only an “Escalator Temporarily Stairs… Sorry for the Convenience.”
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #3102
Mcbruns
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post
For those of you familiar w/ these things and also US, what is your opinion on Sept. I plan on taking my kids out of school from 9/12 to 9/18, shortly after it goes back, so they don't miss too much, it's generally a review month.

Do you think WW will settle down by then?

It is really the ONLY reason we are going to FL and US/IOA.

If it is going to be a nightmare to enjoy WWoHP, due mainly crowds and tight spaces, I don't see the point of going. The rest of the park may be interesting, but doesn't interest me enough to spend that kind of money.

TIA

I am certainly not an expert on US crowds, but we love Disney in September. I think the crowd levels will be better. We leave on June 18th and are planning to see WWoHP as late as we can on our trip. I will post how the crowds are while we are there.

Happy Planning!
1976-offsite~ 1991-offsite~ 1993-offsite~ 1997-Swan~ 1998-Caribbean Beach~ 2003-Port Orleans~ 2004-Pop Century~ 2005-Beach Club Villas~ 2006-Contemporary ~ 2007-ASMu ~ 2007-Coronado Springs ~ 2007-Anniversary Trip GF ~ October 2008-Wilderness Lodge~2 trips in 2009 (June-WH and Sept-OKW)~ 2010-Swan for NYE ~ 2011-Poly for my 40th ~ April 2012 & July ~ 2013 Cruising on the Wonder & June trip ~2014-Lion King Suite
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #3103
Planogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momw/aplan View Post
Dax, and Planogirl, and anyone else who is tired of the supposed negativity:

I'm sorry if this is all stressing you out, but where else are those of us who are trying to figure out what our expectations should be at this point for our upcoming vacations supposed to talk about all of this if not in this forum?

I would absolutely LOVE to be full of rainbows and unicorns right now, giddy about our upcoming trip, but that went right out the window the second Universal started jerking us around.

I've told you that I sympathize with your concerns. I do. I still believe it'll be OK for you.

Some of the other things are just annoying though and sorry if that offends anyone. Now I am definitely out of this thread for a while.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #3104
Momw/aplan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEDUDE View Post

Also they were checking "envelopes" and letting those with them to enter the park before 8 (time of hotel guests), with a tour guide. I don't know if this was package or not, but it was something.

To my knowledge, no. When I lined up at the turnstile shortly after 7, I was asked for my hotel key. It is possible after this they did allow the GP.. but I didn't see it.

Let me know if you have anymore questions/picture request!

- Dude
So maybe the GP entering at 8 was just a rumor. That would be good news for package holders.

But you know, it's pretty sad when we've been reduced to this; feeling hopeful for any indication we might get some fraction of what they indicated we'd get at the time of booking. All I can do is shake my head and laugh at this point (because otherwise I just might cry.)

Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #3105
WWEDUDE

I am in a head cast
Don't Rip Off Dis People

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaytezIOA View Post
Well the good news is that the line constantly moves. It seems like it eats a lot of people really quick. A bunch more pictures show off a lot more detail, including the Pumpkin Juice which looks like it's sold by the six pack to take home!
I hope it moves quickly, there wasn't really that much of a line when I went, so I don't know how it handles big crowds, but it is a moving platform and there are two lines they separate you in to, then your divided into groups of four.

Pumpkin Juice is sold in bottles and in the sets, butterbeer is unfortently not though. Also in case anyone was wondering, there is also ciders and fruit juices. But not sodas

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: