Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #3076
ashleybea
DIS Veteran
 
ashleybea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OC NJ
Posts: 542

I dont know if this was explained or not but, Why is there an Ollivander's in Hogsmede? The shop is only in Diagon Alley.
ashleybea is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #3077
lildamo
Mouseketeer
 
lildamo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybea View Post
I dont know if this was explained or not but, Why is there an Ollivander's in Hogsmede? The shop is only in Diagon Alley.
Universal got permission from JKR to open a second branch in Hogsmeade.
lildamo is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #3078
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,859

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleybea View Post
I dont know if this was explained or not but, Why is there an Ollivander's in Hogsmede? The shop is only in Diagon Alley.
It is an annex.
damo is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #3079
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,063

Alright guys, I'm set to file a complaint. Anyone want to proofread? xD. I'm shooting this letter out tomorrow snailmail, so if you guys want to make revisions, please make them before 2 AM PST. I suggest anyone else who's unsatisfied with Universal's way of handling this situation make a complaint letter and snailmail it to them.


June 1, 2010
Guest Services
Universal Orlando Resort
1000 Universal Studios Plaza
Orlando, Florida 32819-7610

RE: Wizarding World of Harry Potter Package

I have been an avid fan of the Harry Potter series for several years so the news of a theme park was extremely exciting. After my parents made vacation requests at work and saved up the money, we booked a Wizarding World of Harry Potter Package with a Universal Studios Representative. We were very excited to visit the park, but comments from other package holders have unfortunately changed our minds.

When we booked the package on March 4th, 2010, our representative told us all of the various perks to having the package, as listed on the Universal website at the time. Our vacation was for June 13th to June 18th at the Best Western Orlando Getaway. I was well aware that a Grand Opening date had not yet been released, but that we were still to be allowed into the park. On March 25th, when the Grand Opening date was announced to be June 18th, I once again called customer service to make sure that we would still be allowed in the park. The representative assured me that we would still get in the park and that we were “lucky” to actually be in the park before the Grand Opening as the general public would not be allowed before then. More than once, I inquired, and was assured that the general public would not be allowed into the park until June 18th. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Today, June 1st, I found out that the general public has been allowed into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and that package holders have only been getting two hours inside the park. I am not the only package holder upset.

I’ve made several phone calls to Universal Studios with questions in regard to this. One representative told me that only package holders would be allowed. Someone else said that package holders and on-site hotel guests who booked before March 25th would be allowed. Yet another said that package holders and all on-site hotel guests would be allowed. Another representative said package holders, all on-site hotel guests, and annual passholders would be allowed. This varying information must be due to some sort of lack of communication. I am very agitated at this whole ordeal, as I believe we, as package holders, aren’t being given what we were promised. It is unfair that while Florida residents can book an on-site hotel room for tonight and get into the Wizarding World tomorrow, we had to book several months before for what we were told was an “exclusive preview.” Offering practically the same privileges to the general public is not an “exclusive preview.”

I understand that your annual passholders are your MVC’s. I also understand that people who booked the Harry Potter package only paid $15.95 extra for the Three Broomsticks breakfast. However, even though we as package holders paid hardly any more money that the general public would pay, we are entitled to an EXCLUSIVE package as stated on your website. We were promised the Wizarding World to ourselves and are upset that this is not the case. We as package holders were under the impression that the park would be open to us for the whole day, and not for a mere 2 hours. Your customer service representatives have been giving conflicting information, which reflects very poorly on the company.

For your information, the following forum has several complaints about Universal Studio’s improper handling of this situation. (this is where I put in the link to this thread, but because I don't have 10 posts, I can't post it up yet)

In closing, would you please advise me as soon as possible if Universal Studios is still interested in servicing me, or if what has happened here is your not so subtle way of telling me to vacation elsewhere.
mysteriouspnai is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #3080
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!
 
inkkognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Chicago/Duloc/The Barb & Tony Suite
Posts: 15,423

I would replace the last sentence with something more like: "Please let me know as soon as possible how you intend to rectify this so I either receive what you promised or am compensated in a way that makes up for your abrupt change of terms to which I did not agree."
inkkognito is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #3081
jonofthedeadd
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai View Post
Alright guys, I'm set to file a complaint. Anyone want to proofread? xD. I'm shooting this letter out tomorrow snailmail, so if you guys want to make revisions, please make them before 2 AM PST. I suggest anyone else who's unsatisfied with Universal's way of handling this situation make a complaint letter and snailmail it to them.


June 1, 2010
Guest Services
Universal Orlando Resort
1000 Universal Studios Plaza
Orlando, Florida 32819-7610

RE: Wizarding World of Harry Potter Package

I have been an avid fan of the Harry Potter series for several years so the news of a theme park was extremely exciting. After my parents made vacation requests at work and saved up the money, we booked a Wizarding World of Harry Potter Package with a Universal Studios Representative. We were very excited to visit the park, but comments from other package holders have unfortunately changed our minds.

When we booked the package on March 4th, 2010, our representative told us all of the various perks to having the package, as listed on the Universal website at the time. Our vacation was for June 13th to June 18th at the Best Western Orlando Getaway. I was well aware that a Grand Opening date had not yet been released, but that we were still to be allowed into the park. On March 25th, when the Grand Opening date was announced to be June 18th, I once again called customer service to make sure that we would still be allowed in the park. The representative assured me that we would still get in the park and that we were “lucky” to actually be in the park before the Grand Opening as the general public would not be allowed before then. More than once, I inquired, and was assured that the general public would not be allowed into the park until June 18th. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Today, June 1st, I found out that the general public has been allowed into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and that package holders have only been getting two hours inside the park. I am not the only package holder upset.

I’ve made several phone calls to Universal Studios with questions in regard to this. One representative told me that only package holders would be allowed. Someone else said that package holders and on-site hotel guests who booked before March 25th would be allowed. Yet another said that package holders and all on-site hotel guests would be allowed. Another representative said package holders, all on-site hotel guests, and annual passholders would be allowed. This varying information must be due to some sort of lack of communication. I am very agitated at this whole ordeal, as I believe we, as package holders, aren’t being given what we were promised. It is unfair that while Florida residents can book an on-site hotel room for tonight and get into the Wizarding World tomorrow, we had to book several months before for what we were told was an “exclusive preview.” Offering practically the same privileges to the general public is not an “exclusive preview.”

I understand that your annual passholders are your MVC’s. I also understand that people who booked the Harry Potter package only paid $15.95 extra for the Three Broomsticks breakfast. However, even though we as package holders paid hardly any more money that the general public would pay, we are entitled to an EXCLUSIVE package as stated on your website. We were promised the Wizarding World to ourselves and are upset that this is not the case. We as package holders were under the impression that the park would be open to us for the whole day, and not for a mere 2 hours. Your customer service representatives have been giving conflicting information, which reflects very poorly on the company.

For your information, the following forum has several complaints about Universal Studio’s improper handling of this situation. (this is where I put in the link to this thread, but because I don't have 10 posts, I can't post it up yet)

In closing, would you please advise me as soon as possible if Universal Studios is still interested in servicing me, or if what has happened here is your not so subtle way of telling me to vacation elsewhere.
I can understand why you're upset that the section isn't open to you the entire day, but how in the world did anyone expect Universal to properly test the ride and the area in terms of high-stress/attendance if they kept the park open to ONLY hotel guests/package holders.

Every major attraction has some sort of soft opening, and you can't do such a thing without having the general public also attend. I'm really hoping they continue the general public openings, as we planned the trip around WWOHP and its "opening late spring" status, only to find out that the WWOHP opens the day we leave.

That being said, package holders still get to be in the park prior to everyone else, they get to experience the land, and they get to ride the ride. Is there really anything more to ask for? Sounds like yanking Universal's chain just to yank it.
jonofthedeadd is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #3082
lucyanna girl
My hair looks like Tigger spit out a hairball!
I have alot of AFV moments in my life.
he was no match for a scared mama with a water ski
I'm a Cheerios Girl Myself
 
lucyanna girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northeast louisiana
Posts: 3,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaxton8888 View Post
hi penny! I'm here with you.
Oh my gosh, I wish I had not put my Iphone up after I posted. We were on the left side facing the park. Me, my daughter, her boyfriend, and her friend Jessica who was in a wheelchair with red and white polka dot pillow and backpack.

I loved everything! But you couldn't pay me to be there when they let everyone in. We could hardly move today with a wheelchair in the shops.

Penny
__________________
I've been pickled!
lucyanna girl is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #3083
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteriouspnai View Post
When we booked the package on March 4th, 2010, our representative told us all of the various perks to having the package, as listed on the Universal website at the time. Our vacation was for June 13th to June 18th at the Best Western Orlando Getaway. I was well aware that a Grand Opening date had not yet been released, but that we were still to be allowed into the park. On March 25th, when the Grand Opening date was announced to be June 18th, I once again called customer service to make sure that we would still be allowed in the park. The representative assured me that we would still get in the park and that we were “lucky” to actually be in the park before the Grand Opening as the general public would not be allowed before then. More than once, I inquired, and was assured that the general public would not be allowed into the park until June 18th. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Today, June 1st, I found out that the general public has been allowed into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and that package holders have only been getting two hours inside the park. I am not the only package holder upset.
I know this is a very, very serious matter to you. But frankly I find it hilarious that you're firing off a formal letter of complaint before you've even set foot inside the park.

Unless the thought of rubbing elbows with the unwashed masses has caused you to cancel your vacation. In which case, you're quite right to send the letter now.

Oh, but before you do, I strongly advise rewording this line:

Quote:
...In closing, would you please advise me as soon as possible if Universal Studios is still interested in servicing me...
Magpie is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #3084
CLPClarinet
My heart belongs to Severus Snape
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 218

Magpie
__________________
June 2010- Shades of Green. Disney/IOA for Harry Potter! FIRST TRIP EVER!
June 2011- POFQ. College Graduation Trip!
June 2012- Disneyland! Best Western Plus Anaheim
CLPClarinet is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #3085
Momw/aplan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 338

For those who went to the park today is it true what I heard, that the general public got in at 8 today right along with the package holders and on-site guests? That the package holders didn't even get exclusive early entry and yet still had to get out around 11? Is this seriously true?
__________________

March 2014- YES! Spring Break at the dark side!!! WooHoo!
Sept/Oct 2012- 3 Nights @ RPR Grownups only for my (BIG) Birthday Weekend!!!
May 2012- Our triumphant return to the dark side!!! (7 nights @ RPR w/ 1 day @ MK & 1 day @ Epcot!)
June 2010- Pre-Grand Opening WWoHP Pkg(3 Nights at Royal Pacific Resort)!!!! <-- Trip Report: (begins w/ post #82)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2478909&page=6
Nov 2009- Our first official family visit to the world! (6 nights at AKL!!)
Momw/aplan is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #3086
nodoubtrock
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 146

I didn't look at the wording of the harry potter package back in feb/march but it was my understanding that the package was for breakfast + 1 hr early admission to Islands of Adventure. I don't even get this early admission anyway b/c your hour early will be taken up by getting to your breakfast. -i like to eat a light breakfast immediately when i wake up anyway..not a huge breakfast 1 hr after I wake up and walking across a theme park..also, you probably won't want to get on dueling dragons immediately after eating at 3 broomsticks.

Anyway, all that matters is what is written down that you agreed to. I don't get the point of calling Universal a bunch of times when it states in your package what you are entitled to..is the wording in the package that vague and hard to understand? you signed up for a breakfast, you get a breakfast.. it says early admission, you get early admission.. it doesn't mention if other guests will be allowed in later in the day or that if you just book one night there that you would be allowed in so why complain that others are being allowed in. I don't know for sure but I don't think it states anywhere that you get to be in the WWOHP for the day with just the other package holders.
nodoubtrock is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #3087
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran
 
SmallWorld71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 5,053

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubtrock View Post
I don't know for sure but I don't think it states anywhere that you get to be in the WWOHP for the day with just the other package holders.
That's what I've been thinking, too. I figured it was kind of like Disney's free dining. Yes, it gives me access to the restaurants, but that doesn't mean that there won't be other people there. But, I too may have misunderstood since we didn't purchase a package because we already have admission tickets.
__________________
me DH DS19 DS15 DD11 Zeke Coco

SmallWorld71 is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #3088
nerdboyrockstar
Mouseketeer
I want a t-shirt that says "Everything is better at Disneyland"
 
nerdboyrockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,485

Package holders and on-site guests were promised an hour exclusive entry into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Nothing more, nothing less. Universal has been offering this as promised.
__________________
- Anthony
nerdboyrockstar is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #3089
rjvose17
Mouseketeer
 
rjvose17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
Spidey had plenty of issues for its first year or two, and Test Track at Epcot was something like a year late in opening. I really think Uni is getting the bugs out of FJ quickly considering we rode it once yesterday, then wasted an hour waiting because it broke down. By comparison, today it was up and running from open till close, with four rides and only one minor issue (we were on our backs, not upside down). It was only for five minutes or maybe a bit more. Crazy person that I am, I was half-hoping we'd be evacuated so I would have a unique experience. But between that and the improved morning let-in, improvements are apparent in only two days.

I was prepared to maybe "like" FJ but it takes a lot for a simulator-type ride to really impress me because I am more of a coaster junkie (think SheiKra...I live to plummet 200 feet face down). I didn't really think Uni would have something on the cutting edge of techology, but after 5 rides I can truly say they do. The way that robot arm moves you around (and relatively smoothly at that) as you move seemlessly through movie screens and actual animatronics is a true work of art. Those robot arms have never been used for amusement rides other than on a very limited basis, like Sum of All Thrills or Legoland. Uni is going out on a limb with hoping they'll work at the capacity they need, and I truly hope they do. I am hard to impress but FJ was truly much more than I expected. When single riders or Express opens my butt will be on that ride a LOT.

I do think Uni misprepresented the packages and I feel sorry for the people who feel mislead or ripped off, but I can't complain personally because the change in policy allowed me to get a preview (and considering how much $$ we dropped on butterbeer, a wand, shirts, and the like, it was well worth their while).


INKKOGNITO,

Good reasoning on the review of how you felt about the ride. That's exactly how I felt too. Those kind of rides aren't typically my thing either, I love the coasters and enjoyed FJ much more than expected! I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time in the Wizarding world!
__________________
Jan-0
DH DD7 DD10
rjvose17 is offline  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #3090
rjvose17
Mouseketeer
 
rjvose17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1957 View Post
Our preview wasn't for 2 hours, it was at least 4 hours on both days and we did everything we wanted to do. I didn't like having to get up at 6:00 am on vacation but I'm glad I got to enjoy the area with relatively low crowds. Although I only got to ride the FJ once, it was well worth it.

Ok thats how I felt too....at first I was really upset about the idea of NOT being able to get in, then only getting a hour or two, HOWEVER after seeing how small the area is, the fairly small crowds and the total of about 5 hours in two days that I have spent in the WWOHP, I would take that over the craziness that it's going to be once the GP is let in. I had plenty of time to experience and take pictures and do what I wanted. I think those who haven't been in don't understand the cramped spaces and massive wait lines that they are going to have to endure.

However to be fair to those who haven't been in yet, maybe I would be singing a different tune if I had been denied access and hadn't had my chance.

I can't wait for the GP to get in and see the posts here on the boards!!
__________________
Jan-0
DH DD7 DD10
rjvose17 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You're the best parents in the world! I gotta pee! Where's My Tooth? Trip report! mickeystoontown Completed Trip Reports 1737 09-02-2009 05:20 PM
I want to tell the world about WISH -- or at least NC getnthinr Events/Competition 53 08-05-2009 01:16 PM
REAL WORLD watchers....they're moving in!!! MomNeedsVacay Community Board 9 07-03-2009 04:20 PM
Walt disney world annual passes daryle330 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 3 07-02-2009 08:19 PM
Saying Hello in World Showcase and other questions Christopher Robin Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 3 07-02-2009 07:29 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: