Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #3061
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverdude View Post
What?? They're letting the public in to share the same preview at the same time as the package people and resort guests?? And still close at the same time?? This is seriously pissing me off. Why did I pay for an onsite resort room 2 months ago to see this then.
They are letting on-site/package people in 1 hour early.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #3062
MrBryan
Mouseketeer

whoops wrong thread
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #3063
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Following Twitter worked, made it in for the first Potter soft open this morning, if only for 45 minutes Didn’t ride FJ—was waiting on a friend who never made it in—but got the feel of the land, visited every shop but Olivanders (line around the building all morning). Thoughts:
  • Overall theming is incredible. Window displays, owl clock, even “pram” (not “stroller”) parking. I already felt Seuss Landing and Lost Continent put even Disney to shame—this place almost makes those two lands look like Dino-Rama.
  • Amazing selection of merchandise. All kinds of shirts, toys, etc.; Zonkos is almost the equivalent of a 365 Halloween shop, definitely need to return in October. That said, the stores are even more claustrophobic than I anticipated. I think the EPCOT shops in UK have more space to maneuver. Aisles are are tight—think Spencers Gifts in any mall. Zonkos is the worst for this, Honeydukes not much better. Not going to be fun with real crowds.
  • Uni nailed it with Hippogriff. The line, the cars themselves, Buckbeak…everything just works. Still only a C-ticket ride, but a perfect C-ticket ride.
  • Hogs Head is basically in the same location as the old “tree bar,” similar set-up. Hogs Head Beer is quite good—almost like a Bass Ale but with a noticeable undercurrent of sweetness. Not as big a fan of Butter Beer. Tasted to me like an Italian soda of butterscotch syrup and soda water, not the overall richness/complexity of, say, a Coke. Everyone seems to think the frozen version is better, will try that next time.
  • BTW, the restaurant may be authentic, but right outside a stand sells churros (!), pretzels and bottled Bud products Would be real easy to slip bottles of Coke and Sprite there as well.
  • Meet-and-greet opportunities with the French and Bulgarian wizards (from book 4), the train conductor, and the frog choir (each member of the choir represents a different Hogwarts house).
  • I know it’s common here and on other boards to rag on TMs as opposed to Disney CMs. But every TM I met this morning was friendly, courteous and clearly excited to finally be open. Their excitement was contagious. Just needed to throw that in there.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #3064
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Silly question.....do the owls in the Owlery move? In one short video it kind of looked like they did, but then in another they didn't seem to be.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 06-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #3065
spima3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGerry View Post
OK, this has me worried. How bad is this ride? I know a lot of people are comparing it to Spiderman, but we've never done it, so that doesn't help.

We all suffer from motion sickness, does taking Bonine/Dramamine help?

I have problems w/ my lower back, but it ususally doesn't bother me unless I sit too long, especially on a hard seat.

I am also claustrophobic, how bad is it?

Any help would be appreciated?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #3066
spima3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressy View Post
Oh yeah, sorry; I'm pretty sure they were like 28.95
Can I just say .................................................. ............................

Last edited by spima3; 06-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #3067
cressy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post
OK, this has me worried. How bad is this ride? I know a lot of people are comparing it to Spiderman, but we've never done it, so that doesn't help.

I have problems w/ my lower back, but it ususally doesn't bother me unless I sit too long, especially on a hard seat.

I got queasy about 1/2 way through, and couldnt right it right away again.
I have back and rib probs, didnt bother them.
Didnt see any problem w/ claustrophobia as you're not enclosed in the bench.
To me, the only worry is the queasiness, but not a big worry. Not as queasy as mission Space at WDW.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #3068
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeToLove View Post
Wow, I take a day off and the thread exploded. Just a few thoughts:

Regarding Preds adventure. From what a TM said on OU yesterday, Sat. a pooh sized guest couldn't get the shoulder restraint locked properly, and refused to get off. Not sure where on the ride he caused the full stop, but the ride sensors will stop the ride if one person's restraint begins to wiggle around. It's for their safety. And as we've heard, it takes 45 min to 1 hour to evac and 1-2 hours to restart at that point.

This is hardly the only reason why the ride has stopped this past week, (apparently one shut down was due to an operator hitting the wrong button - that's why they have softs), but because of this incident, they decided to add a test seat near the ride on Sun. and why they've been more selective as to who rides it. For now, they are airing on the side of caution while they make some tweaks to the programs and ride hardware. They'll likely have some of it fixed in the next few months. (Of course they are also trying to reduce any reasons why the ride might stop, because they'd like it to run for longer than 30 min., and this is one thing they can do).

Now, about TMs being rude. I will agree that TM's should handle size related issues with compassion, but I have to say, on their behalf, this has got to be the worst work weeks of their lives. Think about it, would you want to work there right now. These guys are only human and are allowed to have their emotions too. Put yourself in their shoes. You work at this place that is supposed to be magical, but instead you get dozens of people yelling at you or complaining about things you have no control over. You have a boss that says you can't let larger people on, or your job's at risk for not following orders, or you've got someone larger than you giving you the evil eye and trying to intimidate you. Add to that the rumors of AP holders wanting to storm the castle like an angry mob. You might just get a little testy too. I know if I were working there and I said sorry the lights not green, and no one can ride if the lights not green and someone got in my face and argued with me, I'd punch them out. But then, that's why I won't work in a theme park with so many people. haha

And one thing about the package date/GO date fiasco. Yes, Univ. handled it all wrong, but here's what I'm thinking happened (not to excuse their inability to make sure all departments were on the same track). I was told by someone who used to work for the company that built FJ last fall (2009) that they were supposed to have the ride ready for a GO date in mid May. Remember when the actors were saying they'd be there in May last winter? I think the day Emma and the boys were there was supposed to be the weekend of the original GO. However, FJ has been months behind schedule since the beginning. I think what happened was they planned for all to be ready for Memorial Day and the various departments were planning for it, but around late Feb. early March, after they started selling the packages, it became apparant that FJ was no where near ready for mid May. So they had a meeting with Jo, WB, and other execs and decided to push the GO back a month (on a date convenient for Jo and actors), but forgot to invite Guest Services, the Hotel Dept heads, PR, etc. to the meeting where they made the decision, and those depts have been scrambling ever since. That, if anything is Univ.'s weakness, that the depts aren't communicating with each other properly on this.

OK, enought for tonight.
I think you hit the nail right on the head!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #3069
spima3
DIS Veteran

For those of you familiar w/ these things and also US, what is your opinion on Sept. I plan on taking my kids out of school from 9/12 to 9/18, shortly after it goes back, so they don't miss too much, it's generally a review month.

Do you think WW will settle down by then?

It is really the ONLY reason we are going to FL and US/IOA.

If it is going to be a nightmare to enjoy WWoHP, due mainly crowds and tight spaces, I don't see the point of going. The rest of the park may be interesting, but doesn't interest me enough to spend that kind of money.

TIA
Old 06-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #3070
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spima3 View Post

You move a lot, but it is not rough. The moving is not spinning or upside down. It's more going on your back, pivoting from side to side, etc., as you would expect from a robot arm. My ears get battered on roller coasters but not on FJ. I rode it four times in a row and only noticed some queasiness the very last time. The transitions are smooth so it's not bad unless you are very prone to motion sickness. The ride vehicles are not claustrophobic but it might bother you if you don't like shoulder harnesses. I freaked out a bit when it broke down and we got stuck lying on our backs. I starting having a little panic attack because I don't like being 'stuck' in something I can't get out of, but that was quickly replaced with hoping the lighs would come on so I could see how things work and get pictures and wondering what it would be like to be evacuated. Alas, it was working again with 10 mins. I think it's actually a little milder than Spidey, which has actual spinning.

Walt, I thought the owls would move but they never did when we were there (and we sat there for a while eating baked goods).

I agree with the comment about the TMs. Their enthusiasm is amazing, whether it's yelling our their favorite House with guests as you board FJ or chatting with guests on the Hogsmeade streets. I love the things they come up with...my favorite comment was when DH was asked if he is a dragon keeper (he was wearing his old Dueling Dragons t-shirt). It really adds to the overall experience.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #3071
Clifton
Earning My Wizardhat

Perhaps i'll have more fun on Dragon Challenge
1st trip to MK (late 80's), HS/MGM-Studios (94), MK (97), Night of Joy MK (97), AK (98 when everythings new lol), Epcot (97), Night of Joy (98), Night of Joy (99), Grad Nite MK (00), AK, Epcot, HS, MK solo (07), Park hop AK, MK, Epcot (7/24/07 Bday), Park hop AK, Epcot and MK (4/08), AK (4/09), MK, Epcot, AK, DHS (2011)
Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #3072
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran

I must first tell everyone that.. I'm jealous of all those Potter Watchers. I'm only able to do it on the weekend.. But The Wizarding World of Harry Potter soft opened this morning. 17 days until it opens!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #3073
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic

For anyone interested, Pottercast has posted their second video of WWoHP. In case you don't know, these guys are uber fans.

Highlights of video two include look at cauldron cakes, Hippogryph, and a cute conversation with the train conductor (who either had excellent training or is a total HP geek, cause he's excellent!!!)

Video two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBjY0CNQ9D4

Video one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3Do...eature=channel
Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #3074
MadeToLove
The Ultimate Potterholic

Also new, Inside the Magic has a report about the Orlando Airport store with merch pictures

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/0...ional-airport/

Speaking of merch.... A huge question from a HP nut!!!!????

How many chocolate frog cards are there to collect in the WWoHP Choloate frogs? Does it say on the package? Is it just the four founders? Should we start a thread to list them?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #3075
tink1957
DIS Veteran

The only ones I've seen are the 4 founders in the window display, but there could be more. We got 2 Helga Hufflepuffs and a Salazar Slythern.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: