Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #2911
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran
 
Graciesmom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I haven't been to Universal yet. We've been planning our trip, including a Universal trip, for nearly 6 months now. I've scoured the boards, I've looked at the website multiple times, I've nearly booked things many many times, I've even phoned them.

I've been ALL over their reservation pages since the HP packages were first announced, and looked thoroughly around even though we were never planning on being there at opening.



Those packages started to be sold BEFORE any announcement was made about when it was going to open. Anyone booking them *had to know* that it was all speculative. Book it, and HOPE that things will be open by then.

As *soon* as they figured out when it would/could be open, they stopped selling packages for the time before opening. Stopped it cold, as far as I could tell (and I could, because I went to the site to check out if they were still selling the HP packages *at all*, and saw the new start date for the HP packages).

If you didn't realize that the area wasn't going to be open yet, well, I don't know what to say, because I didn't even have a trip planned, and I knew that it was all up in the air, from the moment they announced when the packages started, and then a different sort of up in the air once they announced when the area of the park would open.



Universal *could have* gone in and totally canceled everyone who had booked HP packages. They *could have* not allowed access to room-only people who had booked hopefully.

Instead, they were kind and gracious and allowed those who booked the HP packages before the announcement to get the perks and keep their packages. And they were extra kind to allow room-only people access as well.

I think those things are *nice*. They didn't have to do it at all; they could have just canceled everyone's plans.



I think thats crazy. Universal is "nice" to take my money for something that they are not offering? How is that nice? Here, why don't you give me 1,000 bucks for this car I have. Then I will give you a Matchbox car and see if you are cool with that.

If you bought a HARRY POTTER PACKAGE, you should get into the Harry Potter themed place. Common sense. Not for 1 hour, or 2 hours, the full time that you were told. If you bought tickets to any theme park for the day and were told at 10 am to get out, you would be mad. No one wants to pay a bunch of money and not get what they were told they we going to get.

By the way, about the previews people were talking about a few pages ago and were saying that the "trailer" of the movie is a preview and thats what you should expect from a preview is wrong. No one PAYS to see a preview of a movie. They pay to see a whole movie and the "previews" are shown as an advertisement before the movie you paid for.
__________________
Graciesmom77 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #2912
melly
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciesmom77 View Post
I think thats crazy. Universal is "nice" to take my money for something that they are not offering? How is that nice? Here, why don't you give me 1,000 bucks for this car I have. Then I will give you a Matchbox car and see if you are cool with that.
.
Ludicrous isnt it. Just defending the indefensible. Some of the comments on here regarding how people should be thankfull to Universal for this is mind boggling to say the least.
melly is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #2913
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,553

OK, we all get that a few of you feel ripped off and unhappy at what you've gotten. PLEASE take it up with Universal. Going on and on about it here just isn't making anything change.

I always had the idea that the preview would feature limited hours. I have no idea why but that's what I thought.

By the way, it's already been confirmed that the HP package cost extra only the amount of the breakfast. I can see feeling misled if you went during this time expecting a full day though. But please again, contact Universal!
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #2914
cressy
Mouseketeer
 
cressy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
So, can anyone tell me if there are Marauders Maps available for sale? Price, if you know/can remember?

Thanks so much!!!
Yes, Marauders Maps were available in the gift shop exiting FJ. Really nice, frame that opens up and the map unfolds and opens out. My oldest daughter really wanted one, but we had already well exceeded our limit!!!hopefully next time! PS- they were in a rack on top of a merchandise rack.
cressy is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #2915
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGerry View Post
previewed WWoHP and really enjoyed the Hogs Head Ale. Especially relaxing on the back porch of Hogsmeade. Nearby a guy proposed to his gal--something you dont see everyday.

DS got a wand. Other DS got a Chinese Fireball stuffed animal. My DS (fan of Harry Potter) even said he felt like he was really in the Wizarding World.

First time through FJ--wait was 60 min but went quick and dont think it took us hour. Went back later and only 10 minutes so basically walk on.

Hippogriff ride as well.

Honeydukes and Zonkos

3 Broomsticks closed for package deal peeps.

DS refill on a Butterbeer from stand--but it seemed the Butterbeers served inside the pub looked frothier/ better?

Id think majority of Universal resort guests would have had no idea about 'preview?' We asked to confirm, but saw no notification, etc.

I witnessed no pushing / shoving.
Thanks for the review. Luckily I see way more of your type of report.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #2916
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran
 
Graciesmom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGerry View Post
previewed WWoHP and really enjoyed the Hogs Head Ale. Especially relaxing on the back porch of Hogsmeade. Nearby a guy proposed to his gal--something you dont see everyday.

I have been married for almost 10 years, but you think I could convince my hubby to re propose?!?!? How cool to get proposed to at Hogwarts!
__________________
Graciesmom77 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #2917
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran
 
Graciesmom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly View Post
Ludicrous isnt it. Just defending the indefensible. Some of the comments on here regarding how people should be thankfull to Universal for this is mind boggling to say the least.
I know I sound really angry, but I am! lol

Some people will argue a point for arguements sake I guess!
__________________
Graciesmom77 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #2918
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
OK, we all get that a few of you feel ripped off and unhappy at what you've gotten. PLEASE take it up with Universal. Going on and on about it here just isn't making anything change.

I always had the idea that the preview would feature limited hours. I have no idea why but that's what I thought.

By the way, it's already been confirmed that the HP package cost extra only the amount of the breakfast. I can see feeling misled if you went during this time expecting a full day though. But please again, contact Universal!
To be honest, people complaining here is more effective than contacting Universal. Universal is highly unlikely to respond in a meaningful way, but the bad reports plus pictures and pretty mediocre video footage has already convinced me to stay far away from IoA for the next year or so. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for plenty of other posters/lurkers.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #2919
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
To be honest, people complaining here is more effective than contacting Universal. Universal is highly unlikely to respond in a meaningful way, but the bad reports plus pictures and pretty mediocre video footage has already convinced me to stay far away from IoA for the next year or so. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for plenty of other posters/lurkers.
I feel just the opposite so you never know. I also continue to point out that it's really just a few people who have negative things to say which is about the normal amount here.

I also question whether they wouldn't respond. You never know unless you try.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #2920
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I feel just the opposite so you never know. I also continue to point out that it's really just a few people who have negative things to say which is about the normal amount here.

I also question whether they wouldn't respond. You never know unless you try.
It's not just a few people who are complaining about something. The vast majority of posters have complained about either the package, the weight/height restriction, the small shops, lack of "showiness" at Ollivander's, etc. Most posters have said FJ is either underwhelming, or on par with the Simpsons/Spiderman. To me, there's nothing extraordinary about that. Rides at Six Flags are better than that.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #2921
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
To be honest, people complaining here is more effective than contacting Universal. Universal is highly unlikely to respond in a meaningful way, but the bad reports plus pictures and pretty mediocre video footage has already convinced me to stay far away from IoA for the next year or so. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for plenty of other posters/lurkers.
It sounds like they have really improved things over the past few days. So obviously they are listening. We've probably had reviews from about 5 people, maybe 4 and I am very happy with their reviews. I tend not to take anything very seriously for the first month or so after a new ride opens.
damo is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #2922
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
It's not just a few people who are complaining about something. The vast majority of posters have complained about either the package, the weight/height restriction, the small shops, lack of "showiness" at Ollivander's, etc. Most posters have said FJ is either underwhelming, or on par with the Simpsons/Spiderman. To me, there's nothing extraordinary about that. Rides at Six Flags are better than that.
I haven't seen that at all.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #2923
tink1957
DIS Veteran
 
tink1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Franklin, GA
Posts: 1,410

Well said Damo

As one of the few who have ridden FJ, it is a good ride and being compared to Spiderman is not a bad thing as it's one of the most awesome rides ever and FJ is better imho.

We have to remember that it's only the first week it's been open and they are working out the logistics, that's what a preview is for and yes I know Universal would have liked to have the ride open as promised for the package holders but things happen that can't be predicted and you have to adjust accordingly.

I only got to ride once and I'm happy that's all I have to say.
__________________
Vicki CBR May 07-POFQ & DTU Dec 07-POFQ Sept 08-CSR & HRH Sept 09-AKV & RPR May 10-DTU & RPR Sept 10-HIU & RPR Dec 11-RPR & POFQ Oct 12-HIU & Pop Sept 13-RPR & Pop Sept 14
tink1957 is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #2924
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I haven't seen that at all.
There is not one post that has said that everything was wonderful and/or FJ was groundbreaking/mindblowing. Not that you'd expect everything to be perfect right away, but you'd expect the "world" to be good.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline  
Old 05-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #2925
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
There is not one post that has said that everything was wonderful and/or FJ was groundbreaking/mindblowing. Not that you'd expect everything to be perfect right away, but you'd expect the "world" to be good.
Sure there was. Have you read Inkkognito's review? She's ridden 6 times already and has said that it is amazing. Spiderman on steroids was her quote. She said the ride was a walk on this morning and she rode it 5 times.

Of course not everything is perfect. Did you really expect it to be?
damo is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You're the best parents in the world! I gotta pee! Where's My Tooth? Trip report! mickeystoontown Completed Trip Reports 1737 09-02-2009 04:20 PM
I want to tell the world about WISH -- or at least NC getnthinr Events/Competition 53 08-05-2009 12:16 PM
REAL WORLD watchers....they're moving in!!! MomNeedsVacay Community Board 9 07-03-2009 03:20 PM
Walt disney world annual passes daryle330 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 3 07-02-2009 07:19 PM
Saying Hello in World Showcase and other questions Christopher Robin Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 3 07-02-2009 06:29 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: