Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #2896
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momw/aplan View Post

Forgive me for not being a theme park aficionado; I merely represent the general buying public who Universal by-and-large is selling to.
absolutely. You should not have to scour a theme park discussion board to know what is going on.

If it makes you feel any better, I do envy the extra exclusive time it seems that package holders and on site guests are getting now. Sure, we'll presumably have access to the HP section all day and evening when we go in October, but honestly, I bet we won't stay in it much past 2 or 3 hours that the people who are going now are getting. Once it's open to the general public it will be SO MOBBED in all those little streets and shops I can't imagine it would be pleasant to be there. NOT saying you weren't misled by Universal and you are completely entitled to feel upset. Just a silver lining to getting to be there now---much more exclusive and uncrowded.
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #2897
tink1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds View Post
I typed this on my iPhone, so I apologise in advance for any typos or spelling errors.

Universal did a much better job with crowd control this morning, allowing guests in about 10 minutes before 8 and controlling the flow with the turnstiles all the way to WWOHP. The end result was a much more peaceful entry with far less pushing and shoving. We actually met up with Disboard employees Walter and Max agaIn today (Pete decided not to get up for it) at the gates to IOA and went through the queue with them *We were in the queue for FJ by 8:07.*

Unfortunately, Universal royally ticked me off by pulling me from the line near the end of the queue just prior to the sorting hat, putting me in the test seat and saying sorry you can't ride. Now understand, I rode FJ yesterday and fit fine, and I told them that, but they didn't care. *They refused to push down on the safety bar to lock in the 3rd click stating they weren't allowed to, which was curious since we weren't allowed to push down on the saftey bar ourselves when loaded yesterday. * Be warned future guests, there are 3 different standards for fitting in the seats to ride. The test seat at the entrance is more generous than the test seat in the queue, and the actual seats themselves are a 3rd standard as the employees do push down to lock you in. Major fail Universal. Your employees were rude, insulting, humiliating, and insenitive *It was*NOT a pleasant guest experience.

Worse yet was walking into Filches out of the ride entrance and hearing one cast member snidly comment to another "he didn't get to ride.". Damn right I didn't and I was pissed off enough without the little pissants comment and I let him know it.*

Anyhow a word to the wise, you will not be riding FJ of you fall onto any of the following categories: too tall (6' 3" or taller), too short (under 48"), have wide shoulders (you won't fit width wise in the seats, partially my problem), have a belly (particularly beer bellies, which I don't have BTW). * I'm 5'8" and float between 235 and 240 and today I couldn't ride, but yesterday I could. *Granted I'm overweight, but not THAT bad and S Walter and Max said, in their opinions in no way should I be too big to ride.*

Again, major Fail Universal. As my skinny 14yo said, Universal segregated out and restricted away 20-30% (or more) of the US population. *
I can't believe they did that to you, they must be crazy. It was nice meeting you in line yesterday and I'm sorry that happened to you today...I would be majorly ticked off. My son is 6'3" and around 245 lbs, he rode comfortably with no problems. It seems that who gets to ride is a matter of TM interpretation.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #2898
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Preds, I'm really sorry that happened to you. How horrible. Even more horrible that the employees weren't even nice about it.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #2899
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

CALL Universal. Head straight to Guest Services. Demand a manager. I would expect an apology and maybe some kind of head of the line to make up for it.

You can come here and rant all you want to but no one here can do anything. I wish that Universal would get their act together.

ETA: I do disagree that a lot of people have been posting in anger. I've scoured everywhere and it's very few (so far) and mostly here.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #2900
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
CALL Universal. Head straight to Guest Services. Demand a manager. I would expect an apology and maybe some kind of head of the line to make up for it.

You can come here and rant all you want to but no one here can do anything. I wish that Universal would get their act together.

ETA: I do disagree that a lot of people have been posting in anger. I've scoured everywhere and it's very few (so far) and mostly here.
I agree, head to Guest Relations ASAP...DO NOT let this go...make sure you explain how humiliated you were made to feel

Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #2901
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

So sorry that Universal employees treated you with such disrespect. Why did they design the seats so poorly? There are so many of us who are not cookie cutter types and if they told me that I couldn't ride I'd scream! I thought that I read somewhere that they have several benches for larger individuals though?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #2902
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

It could be the ride technology itself that limits sizes. I've been asking around about the seat sizes for the Sum of All Thrills at WDW but it's hard to get an answer.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #2903
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

Quote:
It could be the ride technology itself that limits sizes. I've been asking around about the seat sizes for the Sum of All Thrills at WDW but it's hard to get an answer.
I am by no means thin, but I was able to fit into Sum of all Thrills and its the same basic ride...so I better not have issues

Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #2904
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

The ride technology itself is going to limit a lot of things. Not only are people who don't fit in the restraints not going to be able to ride but also those with motion sickness, heart problems, claustraphobia, back problems, those who are pregnant, etc. If they make the ride suitable for all riders we are back to It's a Small World. Weight is only one of many restrictions here but it seems to be the only one that people are having an issue with.

I understand Pred's issue completely. Being able to ride one day and not the next is just wrong. However, lots of people of being denied access because of other factors.

Last edited by damo; 05-31-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #2905
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
I'm very sure the ride technology is limiting the size of people being able to ride, but if someone has already ridden the ride and fit okay, how does he not fit the next day? If they have a test vehicle outside it should be the same size and work the same way as the actual vehicle inside.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #2906
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I'm very sure the ride technology is limiting the size of people being able to ride, but if someone has already ridden the ride and fit okay, how does he not fit the next day? If they have a test vehicle outside it should be the same size and work the same way as the actual vehicle inside.
Apparently there are three different versions of the ride vehicle.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #2907
Darkestsong
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aandj View Post
absolutely. You should not have to scour a theme park discussion board to know what is going on.

If it makes you feel any better, I do envy the extra exclusive time it seems that package holders and on site guests are getting now. Sure, we'll presumably have access to the HP section all day and evening when we go in October, but honestly, I bet we won't stay in it much past 2 or 3 hours that the people who are going now are getting. Once it's open to the general public it will be SO MOBBED in all those little streets and shops I can't imagine it would be pleasant to be there. NOT saying you weren't misled by Universal and you are completely entitled to feel upset. Just a silver lining to getting to be there now---much more exclusive and uncrowded.
^^^^

What she said. I get why some are upset, especially those who could not cancel without a penalty after buying the packages but before knowing it would be only two hours. We are going this coming Saturday, and to be honest are very happy even if it is only two hours. As on0site only we could have cancelled, in fact we had no clue (and still do not 100%) if we would even get in. But we usually like going in the mornings anyways, and then leaving by the time the heat gets stiffling, and to have WWoHP basically crowd free for a couple hours, see everything and be out of the park by noon, maybe to return later toward evening sounds like heaven to me. Especially compared to how absolutely nuts it will be only a week later. I realize others will have different opinions, but for me it is about perfect. And that is the point there is bad to this, but there is a good side as well. It is not all of one side or the other.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #2908
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
What could be happening is that they are trying to figure out what is triggering the system to shut down. Weight distribution may be a factor that they are trying to determine.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #2909
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax View Post
I am by no means thin, but I was able to fit into Sum of all Thrills and its the same basic ride...so I better not have issues
Dax...do you recall if there is a height maximum for Sum of all Thrills? I read that since the seat is not designed by Disney it is smaller than some of their attraction seats. I am specifically looking for 6'3"....DH's height.
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #2910
DisneyGerry
DIS Veteran

preview today

previewed WWoHP and really enjoyed the Hogs Head Ale. Especially relaxing on the back porch of Hogsmeade. Nearby a guy proposed to his gal--something you dont see everyday.

DS got a wand. Other DS got a Chinese Fireball stuffed animal. My DS (fan of Harry Potter) even said he felt like he was really in the Wizarding World.

First time through FJ--wait was 60 min but went quick and dont think it took us hour. Went back later and only 10 minutes so basically walk on.

Hippogriff ride as well.

Honeydukes and Zonkos

3 Broomsticks closed for package deal peeps.

DS refill on a Butterbeer from stand--but it seemed the Butterbeers served inside the pub looked frothier/ better?

Id think majority of Universal resort guests would have had no idea about 'preview?' We asked to confirm, but saw no notification, etc.

I witnessed no pushing / shoving.

BTDT: CSR, POFQ, Y&BC, WL, POR, SSR, CBR, GF, BWV, OKW, HH, and DCL.

Also, AP, DVC, CCL, D23, & Tables in Wonderland.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: