Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #271
LouDisney
DIS Veteran

I'm ready!! Can't wait to hear the announcements!!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #272
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Oh COME ON!!!!!!

Okay, so we're going down to Orlando in early March 2010.... I've been DYING over this wondering if it will be open when we go. a little tiny part of me was hoping they would either say "Early 2010" as a surprise, but even June 30th 2010, that way I wouldn't need to worry about it, it would be relinquished to a later trip....

NOW, they announce "Spring 2010" as a definite time ( but no DATES of course ) ... So I STILL have no idea if it will be open when go... *sigh* ... Guess I'll have to write them in February and see if there's any chance....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #273
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Fly through video

http://media.universalorlando.com/ha...tter%20Map.mov

and lots of pictures

http://media.universalorlando.com/ha...ter/images.php

descriptions

http://media.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/news.php

interactive map

http://media.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/map.php

Last edited by damo; 09-15-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #274
njbeachbum
Yeah I Like Disney, you got a problem with that?

I like what I am seeing, but I guess it seems a little flat. There are what two major attractions and a lot of "sets", shops and restaurants. Am I missing something?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #275
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachbum View Post
I like what I am seeing, but I guess it seems a little flat. There are what two major attractions and a lot of "sets", shops and restaurants. Am I missing something?
The new e-ticket ride is the only new ride and there is the redesign of Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn. The new ride, however, is supposed to blow our socks off. That corresponds to most of the other islands. Remember that this isn't an entire theme park but just one section of the theme park like Fantasyland, Frontierland, etc.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #276
njbeachbum
Yeah I Like Disney, you got a problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
The new e-ticket ride is the only new ride. It, however, is supposed to blow our socks off.
Right, sorry I forgot that the Dragon ride is a refurb right? (I have never been to Universal). I guess what I am saying is that I really love the Harry Potter books and the look (not the stories) of the movies, but this doesn't really seem to be 'enough'.

Am I way off base here?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #277
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well there are three attractions. I guess the Flight of the Hippogriff is more "kiddy" but still...

I think a lot of it IS atmosphere. If it comes out the way it LOOKS it should feel totally immersive into the potter universe.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #278
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Right, sorry I forgot that the Dragon ride is a refurb right? (I have never been to Universal). I guess what I am saying is that I really love the Harry Potter books and the look (not the stories) of the movies, but this doesn't really seem to be 'enough'.

Am I way off base here?
It wouldn't be enough if it was an entire theme park. In the amount of space that there is for this island, there really isn't much more that can be done. There are also five other sections in this park that are each quite large. You have all these other things:

In Marvel Super Hero Island: The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, Doctor Doom's Fearfall, Storm Force Accelatron, Incredible Hulk Coaster
In Toon Lagoon:Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls,Me Ship, The Olive,Popye & Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges
In Jurrasic Park: Jurassic Park Discovery Center,Jurassic Park River Adventure,Camp Jurassic,Pteranodon Flyers
In The Lost Continent:Poseidon's Fury,The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad Stunt Show
In Seuss Landing:If I Ran the Zoo,The Cat in the Hat,One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish,Caro-Suess-el,The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride

And now in Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Dragon Challenge, The Flight of the Hippogriff, and the Forbidden Journey.

That is quite a bit for one theme park.

Last edited by damo; 09-15-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #279
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
The new e-ticket ride is the only new ride and there is the redesign of Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn. The new ride, however, is supposed to blow our socks off. That corresponds to most of the other islands. Remember that this isn't an entire theme park but just one section of the theme park like Fantasyland, Frontierland, etc.
I find it interesting that the map indicates that Hagrid's Hut will be in between Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn. but I'm not seeing enough space to accomodate the hut.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...9179&encType=1

Plans to skip HHNs this year in favor of attending the Christmas holiday activities.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #280
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by patster734 View Post
I find it interesting that the map indicates that Hagrid's Hut will be in between Dueling Dragons and Flying Unicorn. but I'm not seeing enough space to accomodate the hut.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...9179&encType=1
It is already built. As you go up the stairs to ride DD you pass right by it. It was built last spirng I think.

You can see a Flying Unicorn rail on the left bottom.

Last edited by damo; 09-15-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #281
mom2mykids
Wishin' I was at Disney!

I guess I can be a tad happy that our Jan 2010 trip has been postponed, huh? I think we are going Aug now. Ugh for the heat and the crowds but what can ya do. Gotta go when you can!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #282
Surroundedbyboys
Mouseketeer

I honestly couldn't care less about the rides. (And yes, I do love rides!) Our favorite thing about Universal Studios is the theming. I can't wait to walk into the HP area and hear the music, see the buildings, etc. I remember my son saying at age 10- "I wish we could go see the castle!" He's 17 now and still excited about it.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #283
pixeegrl
DIS Veteran

We are so excited! Hoping to go December of 2010 (was gonna wait till 2011 but just couldn't). I think the atmosphere is really going to be what makes it so exciting!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #284
SNylund
Mouseketeer

I take it no one knows anything about the Forbidden Journey ride (new ride) other than it may be kind of like Spiderman, a high tech 3-D ride?

I am a little disappointed with the whole re-tool DD for Dragon Challenge and Flying Unicorn for Flight of the Hippogriff. I welcome the new island and I'll take what comes, but for me it would have been 1000 times better with 3 new rides or even just 2 totally new rides, and just leave the others as is. I've said this before, but re-tooling rides for HP is a little nickle and dime-ish and I thought if they were going to poor millions into a new island, ESPECIALLy doing a HP theme and considering its a billion dollar franchise and a huge phenomenon, that they would have truely gone all out, which in my book is all totally new rides and attractions. But oh well, I'll take it.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #285
frequency
Mouseketeer

I have no problem with the refurbed rides. Dueling Dragons is perfect for the area and needed a little updating anyway. The hippogriff coaster (unicorn) is a really zippy coaster for little kids. Having that for the younger crowd is perfect.

A roller coaster is a roller coaster, the theming in this park is what will make it awesome. Triwizards competition is great theming for "competing" coasters. And don't we all love these coasters? If they had removed it and put up something new, would we have liked them better?

I am not a shopper. But the shops in this section are incredible. They are part of the books, and if they are done well, they will add to the experience of being at Hogwarts. I want to buy something a Zonks and I want to eat at the 3 broomsticks. You better believe I will be getting a wand at Olivanders. It sounds like that will be an experience in itself (rumors are that the wands will be interactive in the park). I will be having a butterbeer. I will be having a chocolate frog. I will be having every flavor beans. I will be taking my picture by the Hogwarts Express. And Hagrids Hut.

Thats without even getting near the new ride.

There are lots of dorks like me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: