Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #2191
Colleendoll
Universal Orlando Newbie

[QUOTE=Indy Denise;36681314]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleendoll View Post
Our vacation at Universal starts June 17th and ends June 20th. I am too thinking about what sort of budget will be required. I plan to make this the trip of a life time as a birthday present for my three children. I want to purchase the "wand that chooses you" for each of them and I am expecting that to run around $40 as the most expensive wands for sale on WB website is $39.50. I purchased one for my eldest daughter for her Christmas last year.

I read ( on Universal United, I think ) that some wands will cost much, much more than anything on WB. These are made only for Universal. Some will run you $100.00!! It will be VERY HARD to say no to a child when "the wand picks the person" . I hope the bargain basement wand picks my kids. $100.00? OUCH!!!!!

((Though a smart, smart move on Universal ..I can't imagine the money they are going to make when all of the Susies and Jimmys HAVE to have THAT wand))
Would the $100 wands be part of the Noble Collection?

Here is what was in the article with Thierry Coup, Universal crative executive (saw this article on Mugglenetdotcom posted by Andrew on Jan28th). "You will be asked specific questions by the wandkeeper to determine your wand and the process should take between 2-5 minutes. Teh experience is free, but you can choose to purchase your wand ifyou like. You may, of course, select a different wand if you don't like the wand that chooses you. And you can still purchase an Ollivander's wand without going through the experience. There will also be wands available from the Noble Collection.

A Build-your-own wand station will be available for younger kids. Wand accessories will be available at Dervish and Banges, and Universal is looking into getting the wands to interact with other parts of Hogsmeade."

2-5 minutes? I hope the line goes quick or many people skip it. I know my children want to do it!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #2192
Colleendoll
Universal Orlando Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildamo View Post
A couple of things people have posted on Twitter from tonight's Pow Wow event:

fang is barking from hagrid's hut

2 wands didn't work at first. Tried to cast a spell to levitate flowers and move a ladder then the music swelled and lights came up
There was wind in the shop and then my hazel wand with a Phoenix tail inside it chose me! Amazing!

I rode a Hippogriff trainer, and saw Buckbeak!

Butter beer tastes like a mild rootbeer mixed with butterscotch. With a VERY foamy head.

Just sent out some post at the Owlry. There are 4 different types of HP stamps to send. It's pretty cramped in there!

The line for Dragons Challenge: enter in the champions tent then u see the triward tournament cup
Then you see the tournament eggs (don't remember exact names of these)
Next: a hall full of floating candles
The rest is very similar to Dueling Dragons. You chose from chinease fireball or Hungarian horntail.
In the station there are shadows of dragons fighting projected onto the tent above you

Frog choir fills the streets with 'toil and trouble' wearing different houses outfits...live music with puppets

As you pass the stores in Hogsmed you can stop at all the interactive store fronts. From the magic quill to plants coming to life

Wowed by flight of the hippogriff! Life size hippogriff you bow to so you can ride...it's moving and sitting in a nest. Very cool

FANTASTIC! Love all the interactive things! This will be wonderful!! I am getting more and more excited about taking the kids to the Grand Opening!
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #2193
derekburgan
Mouseketeer

Clearly there's a percentage of people who will knock Universal no matter what, but it's getting harder and harder to not accept Harry Potter will be the new standard of theming when it comes to the parks.

And while I know some are already worried about lines, I feel bad that I probably won't be able to check this area out until later this summer. With those big lines means people who are very passionate about Harry Potter and just being around something like that can really up the enjoyment factor. I remember seeing Star Wars: The Phantom Menace on opening day in Orlando and in line were people with lightsabers, in costume, etc. There was a loud ovation when the Lucasfilm logo appeared. First time in my life a company logo got an ovation. The movie ended up being a big disappointment, but just being around that many people who loved Star Wars made the event 100 times more enjoyable than just seeing the movie two months later in an empty theater.

Just people watching in Harry Potter will be great as many fans are literally going to be seeing (and living) their dreams come true, and how many times can you experience that?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #2194
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Bryan, Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
some pics i found

what's that white wall sticking out from the right of the rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
another picture of the plane

Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #2195
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Teebin, Orlando United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebin
From a new angle not seen before!

I am expecting that might be a hold out for the grand opening... but I have no evidence of that.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #2196
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy o f Eric, Orlando United

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
This is definitely a strange preview, no pictures allowed?...are you kidding me?! I did find this picture though...I don't think we have seen a picture of all these lights on..all around Hogsmeade!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #2197
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy o f Teebin, Orlando United

Quote:
Not much... but it is live... inside the event. And PLEASE say thankyou to a certain inside person. It was the best this person could do after dark. I have banged up the levels in photoshop.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #2198
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy o f Teebin, Orlando United

Quote:
This is the most odd event I have ever seen. This whole process for this theme park addition is odd and seems like a catch up hold back play.

Since when? WHEN do they not allow photos of a theme park preview? Who came up with this marketing promotion? "Come have fun, have real fun... but don't take a picture of anything". I think they are going to get them all very drunk very fast and then put them on the ride... because it basically isn't coming up to par at all. Are they just following the lead of each of the books release? This is one twisted promotion.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #2199
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

All I can really say is SQUEEEEEEE!!!!! Really excited now!
Seeing it at night, hearing all the little shop window details, the fact there's an AA hip! Think we're going to be filming a lot in that area!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #2200
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

It looks brill at night, hope its going to be very atmospheric

Loving the Virgin Atlantic plane, would love that to be ours

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
SEPTEMBER/OCT 2015 18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #2201
rjvose17
Mouseketeer

?

Ok, so I am in Orlando for our vaca now. I have been looking at the threads in hopes to see some glimmer of hope to get into WWOHP. What and Where are all these pics and people coming from? I am a little confused, has there been a preview? Soft opening? Ugg, it's frustrating.

Also, with the no pics at the preview thing, we went to Harry Potter the Exhibit at the Boston Science Museum and they wouldn't allow us to take pics there either. When I asked why, they said it was because Universal held the rights and asked for no pics, also because they sold a picture book of the costumes and the items that were on display at the exhibit just so they could make money. I was really upset I drove 6 hours ONE way to get to Boston, spent two nights and more just to see the exhibit and take pics! That was really frustrating. It never seems to amaze me the things they will do for a extra buck!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #2202
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvose17 View Post
Ok, so I am in Orlando for our vaca now. I have been looking at the threads in hopes to see some glimmer of hope to get into WWOHP. What and Where are all these pics and people coming from? I am a little confused, has there been a preview? Soft opening? Ugg, it's frustrating.

Also, with the no pics at the preview thing, we went to Harry Potter the Exhibit at the Boston Science Museum and they wouldn't allow us to take pics there either. When I asked why, they said it was because Universal held the rights and asked for no pics, also because they sold a picture book of the costumes and the items that were on display at the exhibit just so they could make money. I was really upset I drove 6 hours ONE way to get to Boston, spent two nights and more just to see the exhibit and take pics! That was really frustrating. It never seems to amaze me the things they will do for a extra buck!

But hey - the exhibit was pretty cool, wasn't it? And you've still got the memories, even if you opted not to buy the book.

I tend to forget to pull out my camera anyway, even when pictures ARE allowed. I usually enjoy things more when I'm not staring down at my digital camera all the time.

We saw the HP exhibit last weekend at the Ontario Science Center. It's a five and a half hour drive for us, but we made it a weekend and visited the zoo, too. The exhibit's really got us pumped for our trip in December. My husband's comment as we were walking out of the show? "That was... almost a religious experience."

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2203
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

It was the Pow Wow event (travel agents etc.) so there were selective travel workers allowed in who received an invite. It wasn't a soft opening for the public or anything. Still a shame that they have a media-style-invite event with no pictures allowed.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #2204
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of FloRida848, Disneyhead, Orlando United

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloRida848

See the buckbeak in the back left sitting in the nest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyhead
Some seem to have missed this from the last helicopter update. Here is a shot of the Buckbeak AA. It is beside the lift hill on FOTH.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #2205
Colleendoll
Universal Orlando Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvose17 View Post

Are you staying on site at one of the three hotels? Did you book your room before March 25, 2010? The reason I am asking is that I was told and judging by other posts so were other people, that if you booked the onsite hotel before that date you would be intitled to a preview. They also said there was no quarantee everything would be up and running.

Waiting on pins and needles for the answer...hopeful!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: