Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
ToonFamily
Earning My Ears

St. Marteen question

We'll be on the August 1st cruise, stopping at St. Thomas, St. Marteen, and (of course) Castaway Cay.

I've seen numerous photos of Maho Beach with planes landing just over the heads of those on the beach and thought it would be a lot of fun to take the kids there for this experience.

Is it possible to do both the city and butterfly tour AND have time to go to Maho Beach? I've never been there, so I have no clue how far it is from the dock.

I signed my wife and oldest child up for the Regatta thing (kind of jealous), but I'll have fun with the three younger kids (9, 7, and 3) doing the city and butterfly farm tour. If Maho Beach is too far (or simply not worth it), is there anything else I should consider with kids that age? I'm thinking we would just walk around a bit or maybe head back to the ship ASAP and enjoy the pool, etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
ToonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

Hi, we did this same cruise a few weeks ago and we went to the beach and watched the planes. We enjoyed it but the traffic back to the port was horrific - stop and go for over an hour. I recommend you hit the beach first, then go to your other excursion - this way you will not be stuck in traffic at the end of the day - worried that you won't make it before the ship leaves!

Another note about St Martin - it was quite run down and I had some safety concerns. We rented a car and when to both sides of the island but I would probably not do that again. St Thomas was beautiful and I felt very safe the whole time. Also the beach where the planes travel over is a little rough with a strong undertow - and no lifeguard. Keep your eyes and your hands on your kids the whole time in the water.

Enjoy your cruise!

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
SAGE
DIS Veteran

Part of our tour was a 45 minute stop at Maho Beach. While we loved watching the planes and ordering drinks from Sunset Beach bar, I did not see anyone swimming. It didn't look like a suitable swimming area for young children. What about Le Galion Beach?
Aug 09 DCL Eastern, September 09 AKL, May/10 W. Caribbean Princess, Nov /10 SSR, April /11 MR Princess, July /11 Bermuda HAL, Jan /12 E. Caribbean HAL, May/12 W. Mediterranean NCL EPIC
SAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Tneah
Mouseketeer

I was in St. Maarten a few weeks ago. I did not like this port very much. It's so dirty and run down. The beaches are beautiful, but the rest was just so littered.

The only part I truly enjoyed was our stop to Maho beach. It would be the only reason I would get off the ship again. I loved seeing the planes. There is a list some where online that shows the plane schedule for a particular day. We were there betwen 1:?? to 2:45pm. We saw some large jets and smaller ones and a large jet take off. A very cool experience.

I would take the kids to Maho beach when you get off the ship. Plan around the plane schedule, also. Hang out at Maho for a few hours. There were kids playing in the water.

The traffic has to do with a bridge or something like that, but give yourself at least an hour to get back to the ship.
Tneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
disneymum2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonFamily View Post
We'll be on the August 1st cruise, stopping at St. Thomas, St. Marteen, and (of course) Castaway Cay.

I've seen numerous photos of Maho Beach with planes landing just over the heads of those on the beach and thought it would be a lot of fun to take the kids there for this experience.

Is it possible to do both the city and butterfly tour AND have time to go to Maho Beach? I've never been there, so I have no clue how far it is from the dock.

I signed my wife and oldest child up for the Regatta thing (kind of jealous), but I'll have fun with the three younger kids (9, 7, and 3) doing the city and butterfly farm tour. If Maho Beach is too far (or simply not worth it), is there anything else I should consider with kids that age? I'm thinking we would just walk around a bit or maybe head back to the ship ASAP and enjoy the pool, etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hello-

my family and I are on the same cruise!!! Can't wait, less than a month
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
MelissaLG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymum2 View Post
Hello-

my family and I are on the same cruise!!! Can't wait, less than a month
Hi Toonfamily and disneymum2! We are on the same cruise! Can't wait!
MelissaLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

If you want to see some interesting videos of the St Maarten airport go to Youtube and search "St Maarten airport"
Old 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
disneymum2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaLG View Post
Hi Toonfamily and disneymum2! We are on the same cruise! Can't wait!
Hi MeilissaLG- are you the person that posted the new menus? If you are , then I want to say a great big Thank You!! I too am traveling with a very picky eater (DM) and she was happy to hear they still serve the plain Sirloin
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
MelissaLG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymum2 View Post
Hi MeilissaLG- are you the person that posted the new menus? If you are , then I want to say a great big Thank You!! I too am traveling with a very picky eater (DM) and she was happy to hear they still serve the plain Sirloin
Nope - wasn't me but I was glad to see them, too! More out of curiosity than anything else for us. I've read several comments from folks here who don't like the food but we've always thought it was pretty good. (Put it this way - we've never gone hungry on a Disney cruise! )

I just watched the Wonder sail on the Pt. Canaveral cam ... not too much longer and it'll be us on the Magic!!
MelissaLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
lostatdisney
Mouseketeer

We are also on the August 1 cruise! So glad that it's now less than a month away!
1998 - Disneyland - first Disney trip with kids!
2001 - Disneyland
2004 - Spring Break at WDW - POR
2006 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
2008 - Spring Break at WDW - WL
August 2009 - Cruising on the Disney Magic!
2010 - Spring Break at DLR - GC
2012 - Mother Daughter Cruise on the Dream!
2013 - Spring Break at WDW - BCV
2014 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
On my first trip to Disneyland when I was just seven years old, I got lost when I ran ahead of my family trying to see Mickey as he led the parade. My parents soon retrieved me from the Lost and Found, but I've never found a place that I would rather be lost than Disney.
lostatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: