Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #91
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Don't get me wrong, I love and BELIEVE in the Disney magic, (I wouldn't be a 'regular' on these boards if I didn't)

I believe that the helpful and friendly cm's well outweigh the less than wonderful ones. I can even excuse some poor mousekeeping from folks that are out-sourced and over-worked.

But, when it comes down to the condition of the rooms, from bathtubs peeling at the POR to holes in the carpet at the all stars to worn furniture at the deluxe's, I find that inexcusable.

These are hotels that are packed year 'round, and the profit margin, I can assure you, is *huge*

This is an example of Disney greed, pure and simple. There is more than enough money to keep every hotel on the property spotless, but instead we are left with something resembling blood from a stone.

Disney does the bare minimum they can to get by with it...

And, yes, compared to the way it "used to be", that breaks my heart.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #92
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I decided to chime in.........

I've read most of the posts but to me, the magic is there, the luster has dimmed by the internet. All these Disney forums on every little thing and direction has taken the thrill of the hunt out of a stay. Everyone knows all the tricks, little mysteries and how to get the most and than some out of a stay. Back before computers, you did a stay and discovered the hidden magic on your own, accepted the little extras CM's gave out, now, everyone knows what everyone got and they demand the same, takes the magic right out. For example, towel animals, given randomly by a mousekeeper that knew how to make them to shed alittle of her talents and own personal magic, spread across the internet boards and everyone and their brother demands them. Hidden mickeys, you discovered them on your own, now you can print out pages with all their locations, some hunt. This goes on and on across all the boards, best viewing, how to get this for free, comped for this and that, how to do it cheap, how to beat the system, guests don't have to discover anything on their own anymore, where's the magic, ask and others will tell you where to find it.

The magic is there and is still alive for us. I don't follow every Disney internet space, subscribe to any tour plan or follow any schedule or guide book on a Disney vacation. We discover most at Disney by just going out and seeing and trying the little things, asking a CM what's new or something to do. Printing out pages of internet forum tricks, schedules, tips and what not is killing the adventure of discovering for yourself. Now, everyone knows, wants, asks and demands and if they don't get it, they come home mad, and complain on these forums and want to file complaints. No, I believe we created our own monster with the Internet and publicizing all we know, want or got, just makes the next person want the same and more. I remember back in the 70's, you booked a room, that's it. No special building, special floor, exotic view, this many steps from the elevator.........Times have changed but for us old timers, most not in a good way but our stays are very simple with no wishes, demands or wants and we do see the magic, even after 42 trips and 30 some years, we just keep it simple.

DIS Dads Club Member
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #93
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I believe the magic is still there. I also believe the "magic" is what you make it. I think people have come to expect too much of Disney and a lot of it is from reading these boards. If someone doesn't get a towel animal, it ruined their vacation. If they didn't get an upgrade to a better room, it ruined their vacation. If a CM didn't wipe your child's nose, it ruined their vacation. As for the dirty parks yes, of course, they may on occasion look dirtier. But I don't believe that is totally Disney's fault...that is the people who don't care and don't want to walk those five or ten extra steps to a garbage can to dispose of their garbage. A crabby CM...yes, it happens. And really I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does. I've stood behind some people who were downright ugly and mean to a CM because they didn't get the room they wanted, didn't get a surprise in their room, etc.

Our oldest son (age 23) is at Disney right now. When he was 14, we took his baseball team down to Disney to play in Disney's Salute to Baseball Tournament. He's been with this group of boys for four years and they will all now be going to high school. He thought what better way to end their four years together than by taking them to Disney as we did his team. He called me yesterday to tell me they had won their first game. He said as much as we want to win (my son HATES losing), he is so happy he did thish because the kids (mostly 13 and 14 year olds) are having the time of their lives. They are all DEFINITELY feeling the magic. Half of that team has never been to Disney and Andy said it was an awesome experience seeing the looks on these kids faces when they went to the pool, or when they walked into Epcot yesterday afternoon. They are laughing, having fun and enjoying this last time together as a group. They even got Andy to go on Mission Space...something we could never do (and, no, he is NOT a fan). He said he hopes to win the tournament but, even if they don't, all of the hard work in raising money to help pay for the trip, all the practices, was worth it to enjoy this special time with his kids.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #94
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Unhappy The Disney "magic" is a disappearing act

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
And, yes, compared to the way it "used to be", that breaks my heart.
Ours, too

We were trying to come up with ways WDW has improved or added enhancements over the 13+ years we've been staying on-property, and we keep coming up only with amenities and/or perks they have removed or that have declined over the years. Other than adding new attractions in the parks and more and more DVC resorts, we couldn't think of anything added that makes our stay more enjoyable. It seems that every year something disappears that was once included or available or cleanliness or service declines or becomes erratic, at best.

On another thread which asks what WDW should return from the "old Dis", it made me realize that too much that I value is disappearing, sometimes just the little things. But, those little things used to add up to great enjoyment.

WDW: Charge us more if you need to, but please stop this rapid decline in resort/park cleanliness, attention to detail, customer service/appreciation. Bring back the consistent quality and high standards which separated WDW from all the rest, and put the customer satisfaction surveys back in the rooms.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #95
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

I was just over on the DL side of disboards and a thread over there got me to thinkng about this one.

Even though this thread has dealt primarily with WDW resorts the overall WDW quality control, cleanliness and money spent on the parks has been brought up a lot too. And Disneyland and its current state of being in better shape, has been brought up.

Remember that the way DL looks now hasn't come without some major inconveniences and lost magic too. For instance when its castle got its makeover, it was covered in a tarp for some time. Not just walled off, completely covered. I was there in September of 2004 and believe me, while I knew it would be beautiful and it was good to see DL management taking a huge interest in the park, it stunk to see it covered in a huge blue tarp!

Right now DCA is getting a huge udate and overhaul to the tune of one billion dollars. You also have rides down for total rehaul, walls up and the big lagoon drained and empty. Magic buster for now for sure.

Fantasmic is improved and wasn't showing at all for months. From what I hear its incredible, but I also know that if and when WDW shells out the money to do those improvements on DHS's version, people on this board will complain about how its down for their trip, which is understandable but still contrary to all of us wanting them to update and make everything magical and perfect.

Some DL rides shut down for 2-4 weeks twice a year for holiday overlays which while very neat and fun, stinks while they are down. I have seen people on this side of disboards comment that HM and IASW at MK should do that too, but for those going in the weeks they are putting up and taking down those overlays, that won't feel magical. They shelled out big money for their trip and they want to take their kids on those classics. Maybe WDW execs have figured this out and that is why they don't do those overlays.

At one point a whole section of DL's walkway was torn up making one of the most frequented routes getting from Tomorrowland into FL a no go. And from the monorail it looked awful. But its nice now.

I guess my point is that DL can do this stuff because their dymanic is is more of a local guest population who come regularly not so many tourists, doing once in a lifetime type trips they have saved years for. But when its happening its a bummer. I am excited for the DCA changes but know that walking through a torn up park with a bunch of stuff closed will sort of stink this October. It will be like 2011 before that park is really what I'd call magical.

So maybe WDW hesitates to do the big overhauls because they know that in doing that, thousands of guests will lose out on classics and experiences they want to do since they are shelling out the big bucks. And of course part of it is the greediness of execs which you see in any major corporation. And the economy too.

WDW seems to have spent more money creating whole new parks. DL can't do that (not since the late 90's when they built DCA from what was a parking lot) so they spend their money working with what they have.

I agree with others that the magic is there. I know some of you have gone for years and you compare it those days. Its easy to have a critical eye for something that you have been looking at for years. But for me, I still find it and still see it in the looks on my kids' face and the looks on other people's faces. We roade Soarin with a family who had never ridden and it made the ride so magical. In spite of the fact that for the first couple of sequences there was some big spot on the screen that I swear was there last time! Which had I not ridden so many times, I wouldn't have had the time or wherewithal to notice. Its not perfect but then for me, its still as close as anything comes.

Last edited by Amy&Dan; 07-04-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #96
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Pepe and KatMark, those were very good posts!

I fell victim to my own overplanning last trip. We took family members, I tried to maximize their experience and in doing so, ruined my own. Next trip its going to be back to simplicity and just smelling the roses. I am done with spreadsheets etc. So Pepe and Kathy, thanks for just reiterating what I already knew I had done wrong! byt telling me your own experinence (Pepe) and your son's (Kathy).
Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #97
kellieb71
Mouseketeer

I look at my Dis vacations like this - a bad day at The World is better than a good day at the office. I have only been going to Disney for the past 3 years - my first trip was made when I was 35 - so I don't have a lot to compare it to - but each time I go, it's just as magical as the first. (And trust me, we had a truly awful experience at VWL last year, but even that trip wasn't horrid).

I think a great deal of the problem comes from a sense of entitlement that many people have. We call it the 'me bubble'. There is no one else in the world but 'that person', and if they don't get what they want - then, well the world just may as well end. I've been cut off, run over by strollers, pushed around, have had rude comments made to and about - by GUESTS - but each interaction with a cast member I've had (outside of our VWL experience) has been polite, friendly, and what I would expect from Disney. Why? Because I treat them like the people they are. I read name tags, and greet people by name - if they're from my state, or where I grew up, I ask them when the last time they were home. They're not animatronic creations - they're people. People that work HARD to make sure you're having a great experience - and even if they're having a bad day - they're still people. If you were treated like they are day in and day out by some of the people that have been described here - could YOU put on a happy face for everyone?

WRT the upkeep of the parks - I will say, that I've noticed things going south a bit. But the blame is not purely on the side of the Mouse. Paper wouldn't be on the ground to pick up, unless a guest dropped it. Bathrooms wouldn't be so sloppy, unless someone splashed water, or let their kids play in the sinks. It goes both ways - I try to leave a space a little cleaner than when I left it, to help out - so if that means picking up a piece of paper off the ground and putting it in a trash can, I do it. It makes a CM's life a little easier, and makes things a little more 'perfect' for the person who follows behind.

Maybe it's just me - but I know that I'm not alone on this planet - and do what I can to make the ride that much nicer for my fellow travellers. I believe that I got a little extra 'dose' of the magic, and do what I can to share it with people.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #98
copperbrick
DIS Veteran

We went last September, Animal Kingdom Lodge. For us the magic was still there -- exceptional CMs, excellent (we heard improved) bus service, very nice bus drivers . . . dining was good but we were careful to pick the best rated places to make sure we'd be happy.

I booked my October dinner reservations today and have to admit that the service I received was good by normal standards, but poor by Disney Standards. The CMs (I called twice) weren't as knowledgable as in the past and even a bit "attitudy" -- I told myself that this was probably because it was at the crack of dawn on July 4, and they were probably less than best staffed.

We'll see how it goes this October . . . for now, I'm keeping my expectations positive.

Added later in the day PS: I had to call Disney Dining Reservations two more times on July 4, later in the day. THE SERVICE WAS 5 STAR both times, I'm happy to say -- very experienced CMs who gave the finest customer service. Bravo!
WDW 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge (youngest DD and me)
Oct. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge: DH and me
Coming Coming Sept/Oct. 2010: Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 bedroom villa, family of 5 adults

DINING: GLUTEN-FREE FOR ME

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/imfhxpxtz4pw3vu7.png[/img]

Last edited by copperbrick; 07-04-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #99
avahoneybee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Ours, too

We were trying to come up with ways WDW has improved or added enhancements over the 13+ years we've been staying on-property, and we keep coming up only with amenities and/or perks they have removed or that have declined over the years. Other than adding new attractions in the parks and more and more DVC resorts, we couldn't think of anything added that makes our stay more enjoyable. It seems that every year something disappears that was once included or available or cleanliness or service declines or becomes erratic, at best.

On another thread which asks what WDW should return from the "old Dis", it made me realize that too much that I value is disappearing, sometimes just the little things. But, those little things used to add up to great enjoyment.

WDW: Charge us more if you need to, but please stop this rapid decline in resort/park cleanliness, attention to detail, customer service/appreciation. Bring back the consistent quality and high standards which separated WDW from all the rest, and put the customer satisfaction surveys back in the rooms.
Disney really does need to work on adding attractions and more things to see. I'd especially like to see another park.

I also agree with your sentiment about charging more. I rememeber a day when families considered trips to Disney a luxury and had to save up for years to visit. Now with DVC, Disney Visa, etc...it's almost a given that people go once, twice, even 3 times per year and expect the "magic" every time. I think it's great that Disney has expanded, but when there were only a few resorts to maintain, the service was better all around.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #100
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I always say that Magic is in the eyes of the beholder and I really believe that. If a person thinks that WDW is magical then it is for that person. Others may not feel that but that's OK too.

I used to feel this Magic but I rarely do now. I still enjoy WDW and always intend to return but it's not the same for me as it once was. I think that WDW has changed and so have I. That doesn't make me wrong or right, I just see things differently than some others.

I will say that overflowing trash cans or the occasional messy bathroom aren't what decreased the magic for me. In my case, it's a sense that the company no longer is the same creative and inspiring Disney that it once was, at least not for me. I think that the current company relies too heavily on the past which is fine up to a point but I think that they overdo it.

This is not to say that Disney doesn't still create wondrous things. It's just that something unique is truly rare whereas it seemed normal at one time. Again, that's just my perspective and of course YMMV.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #101
copperbrick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I believe the magic is still there. I also believe the "magic" is what you make it. I think people have come to expect too much of Disney and a lot of it is from reading these boards. If someone doesn't get a towel animal, it ruined their vacation. If they didn't get an upgrade to a better room, it ruined their vacation. If a CM didn't wipe your child's nose, it ruined their vacation.
This is an excellent, EXCELLENT point. The boards are wonderful but might also create a false sense of expectation among some.

And, while reality shows can sometimes be entertaining, they too probably haven't helped improve people's attitudes regarding the real world. Many people have come to expect the best to mean "over the top."

A few weeks ago, I overheard someone say that she "knows someone who knows someone" who won a lottery . . . then she added, "But the jackpot numbers hadn't grown all that much, and he only won a million."

Ah, shucks. Life is tough. Better luck next time.

While the CMs were always wonderful whenever we visited, the last two trips have been the best yet when it came to customer service. Of course, it probably helps that I feel like hugging every CM even before they open their mouths.
WDW 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge (youngest DD and me)
Oct. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge: DH and me
Coming Coming Sept/Oct. 2010: Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 bedroom villa, family of 5 adults

DINING: GLUTEN-FREE FOR ME

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/imfhxpxtz4pw3vu7.png[/img]
Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #102
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

My husband and I went with our respective families the first year Disney opened and we've been almost every year since 1980. The downturn in service and CM quality seems to have started about 5 or six years ago. What changed? Corporate greed apparently. Disneyland and Disney World were blasted internally and many of the top executives have been let go. The 2 words being emphasized again and again- "Guest Experience". Finally, it seems Disney may start emphasizing once again the thing that made them stand out from other theme parks. I hope so.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #103
Ms.Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo23 View Post
Still magical for me!!

I do, however, think the guests have changed over the years. Of course, people have changed everywhere over the years, too. We're less patient and often rude. My "less magical" moments over the past few years have had nothing to do with Disney but with the guests.

That being said, Disney is not perfect and I don't think they ever have been. The food has always been overpriced, and yes, they try to pawn off 3 star hotels as luxury 5 star hotels. And, I am personally not a fan of the current park ticket structure. But, none of this makes my experience less magical when I'm there!
I do agree that it's the guests....A few years ago, we were at Pecos Bills and someone allowed their child...I would say about 4-5 ys old, pull her undies down and her dress up and pee on the porch!!!! I flipped out and went inside to get a CM and they came out to talk to the person and cleaned and disinfected the area...so...Disney employees can't help that some guests are Pigs who have no consideration for others or are rude....There was a time when I left my packages and even my purse and camera on our stroller BUT again...It's those few guests that make it unsafe to do that anymore...I've had year after year of great experiences at Disney and have never had a problem with the CM's but I do think the food quality has gone down and I dislike the children's menus...For that reason, we go mainly to buffets where our grandchild can eat whatever he likes...He is used to REAL food...and that would be our greatest complaint..but we make do....AND...Yes..Disney is still VERY MAGICAL for me and my family...

Last edited by Ms.Mouse; 07-04-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #104
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

I read this whole thread.

I am a "newbie" compared to most of you, I suppose. I went a few times as a child, and then not again until 2007, with my husband, parents and children.

Were my expectations high? Absolutely.

That said, we had some pretty disappointing moments. Some magical ones, as well, but one waitress was so rude to us, I felt obligated to send an e-mail. At CRT - our waitress poured juice on my parents, was snarky and rude to me when I asked a simple question about an item on the menu - and didn't earn one cent of her included 18% gratuity.

I also saw three disgusting bathrooms. I won't describe them for you - but one was the nastiest public restroom I've EVER seen. Anywhere. And we Drive from Chicago to Orlando for our trips

We have two trips planned in the next 12 months. This thread is making me reconsider.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #105
missnanse
MOUSEKETEER I would like my ashes scattered through MK but until then I am happy to visit as often as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty1125 View Post
I will be heading to WDW in 9 short days. I have read all the posts recently on the condition of WDW and it makes me very sad. I am sure that all the cutbacks have affected the many things mentioned here from mousekeeping to untrained CMs. I visit WDW at least once a year. I find that the one major change I see is the " condition" of the visitors. Just becasue it is Disney,that is no excuse for people to take advantage of the grounds by throwing trash around the parks. I see too many people just dumping their waste on the ground at the parks instead of walking over to a trash can. I have seen children being allowed to destroy property as their parents stand by and watch. ( At Christmas, I saw two children take off part of the gingerbread house at GF. Their parents thought it was cute and laughed) I have seen people ignore the CM's directions and at times just yell right in their faces for no good reason except lack of patience. I know it is Disney and we expect what we've always had but the visitors of WDW have changed over the years. I think it is just society in general. We expect everyone to take care of us just because we are "special." I am not trying to make excuses for Disney by any means but the type of behavior I've mentioned above infuriates me when it comes to Disney. There is no reason why visitors to WDW can't show some respect. Disney is a magical place and magical things can happen there but we as visitors have to be part of that as well by respecting what we have.

Thanks for hearing me out. This has been bothered me for a long time. When I go in a few weeks. I'll let everyone know what I experience.
I so agree with you. Disney is a special place and should be treated that way. WDW caters to many different types of people and many do not know how to act in this very Magical World. When my family walks through the parks they would not think of throwing anything on the ground or leaving garbage strewn around. This is since they were toddlers and are now adults and they remember how clean the parks were kept and will always continue to do this. Courtesy given is almost always returned but some people expect to be catered to, they are special and so their children are special and go around expecting special treatment. They shoud be in the front for every parade so move out of the way, CM's should see how special their kids are. On & on & on This treatment they expect without doing anything to deserve it. I love Disney and find that DL is a little different, maybe it is the people who work there, or maybe it is the people going there. But WDW is a wonderful magical place also and I find it to be what I want it to be . The Happiest Place on Earth.

DISNEYLAND-1969-1971,72,73,2005
DISNEYWORLD-
1977,79,81,84,86,90-99,2001,2003,2004,2006,2007,2009
ASM-DH-Poly-POR-DL-CSR-BC
New York Soap Examiner

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: