Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #76
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

There are a few things that came to mind when I read this thread...

I don't remember a time during our last THREE times at POP that we weren't woken to the sounds of powerwashing... that is, the corridors, sidewalks, etc. There hasn't been a time that I didn't see CM's spraying for bugs in the early AM. I ALWAYS see some poor guy/girl cleaning up the foodcourt after some lazy guest who left EVERY piece of garbage on the table. (All of these things, to me, are pros, not cons.)

As for customer service, on my last AKL trip, as I walked to my room with three refillable mugs in my hands, balancing books and magazines and towels under my arms, a concierge CM came down the hall, stopped me dead in my tracks, miraculously pulled out a laundry bag from his pocket, filled it with my towels and reading materials, and stuck about 10 "turndown" chocolates in my pocket. Now THAT is customer service.

I've seen BAD CM's, I have seen WONDERFUL CM's. I have seen things in need of repair, I have seen things BEING repaired.

Lost its magic? No way.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #77
kmk1180
"Today's a good day to Win a Trip to Disney World."

this is a common complaint the comes around every so often
(this and cost of tickets going up and crowds)

people have been saying this almost since the parks opened.

today it's...oh in 2000 when I came it was cleaner and tickets were cheaper, disney is losing it's magic touch.

in 2000 it was it was cleaner and tickets were cheaper back in 1990
disney is losing it's magic touch

in 1990 oh back in the 1985 it was cleaner tickets were cheaper in 1979.
disney is losing it's magic touch

Anyone can go anywhere and find something to complain about.

Yet disney is consistantly rated as the top in the industry year after year.

So you can complain and think it's losing it's touch...fine, go somewhere else if you think it's better...heck go to Six Flags and stay a hotel and see what you get....better for me.... I'll go to Disney and have a great time.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #78
kimbo0569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo23 View Post
Still magical for me!!

I do, however, think the guests have changed over the years. Of course, people have changed everywhere over the years, too. We're less patient and often rude. My "less magical" moments over the past few years have had nothing to do with Disney but with the guests.

That being said, Disney is not perfect and I don't think they ever have been. The food has always been overpriced, and yes, they try to pawn off 3 star hotels as luxury 5 star hotels. And, I am personally not a fan of the current park ticket structure. But, none of this makes my experience less magical when I'm there!
I agree with this....

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a perfect anything. I guess I've been lucky in that I've had very good experiences at DW. Out of all the times I've been there, I've only had two meals that were less than stellar, (that I can recall). I've stayed at the resort numerous times and really have only encountered one CM that wasn't helpful to me (but I was frustrated with a situation and at the time I realized what had happened, it was too early to do anything about it) But when I returned a while later, the situation was rectified and quite quickly.

Compared to alot of amusement parks that I've been to near my area, DW is one of the cleanest that I've seen.

I don't feel like the magic is lacking for me or my family - albeit at the high price, we cannot go down as often as we used to but we still enjoy it while we're there and have some great memories to speak of and share with our kids.

CBR - 1992/1993/1995/1997
1999 - GF - honeymoon
2000 -daytrip Epcot- F&W Festival 2001 POFQ 2003 -oldest dd's first day trip to MK/ dinner at OHana
2004 POR
2008 POR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1996562My first TR!
2013 CSR/Food & Wine Anniversary trip
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #79
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Could you imagine how many people said Disney was going to lose it's magic during 1969-1971 when they were building WDW?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #80
djm99

If lovin' Disneyworld is Childish... I never want to grow up
Me Me Me Me Me Me!

Although Disney adds to the magic, one must BELIEVE in the magic in order to see it. IMO, Disboard members has a higher expectation of Disney and expects the magic to knock at their feet (ala: knock, knock - who is it, "its Disney magic"). IMO that is simply unrealistic. We make big deals about burger and fries meals. One year a family goes to a Disney eatery and loves it - well next year that same said family goes back to that eatery and for whatever reason the place is having an off day. Maybe you didn't get as many fries or your salmon was smaller, or the sandwich didn't have that special sauce like last year - OR in general it just didn't taste as good as you remember. Disboard members are some of Disney's harshest critics.

IMO, Disney brings just as much magic and WE bring with our family. If we believe it, and bring it, we will see it EVERYWHERE - if the funky attitude of a CM breaks that mood, then anything could. When I'm happy - NOTHING - can bring me emotionally down. Even the visit of snake in my room would be an adventure to tell about - but the bed bugs would be damper - but I'll look for those as soon as I walk in the room (both snakes and bed bugs!) – My point – Disney IMO has not lost its magic, but WE are NOT bringing that magical attitude to WDW with us. Many of us feel this magical entitlement to the place. Just look at the complaints that don't get animal towels. All my opinion of course. Have a magical day!!!

ETA: I say this because as a child and teen my family visited by both DL and WDW several times. I just didn't 'get' the magic. It was a big theme park to me. It wouldn't be until I was a mother that I 'got' it. I brought the magic with me as a mother and the magic met me at the door.

Last edited by djm99; 07-03-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #81
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

DW has been the one place that our family could go together and all have fun. Every year something has been cut out and the prices have gone up. Being optimists we continued looking at the bright side. Then we had a horrible experience with my sister who was dying and was treated with indifference (which is really an understatement). It was such a shock to us and we felt betrayed by a magical family tradition. We have tried to keep going back but last year everything was filthy and 2 of us got stomach viruses. We are going one last time just because we hate to give in but if something happens and we can't go it won't be such a terrible thing anymore. We can only afford a one day ticket anyway!!

O WDW every year since 1971 O
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #82
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

Please let me start by saying - I love Disney - I have very wonderful thoughts of of my visits and am always thinking about when I can start to plan my next magical visit.

I am, however, not blinded by the magic - I have seen the decline in cleanliness and overall standards. As one PP had put it - Disney set the bar high - that's what made them so different from every other theme park in the world. I don't think I'VE changed - I have only expected Disney to continue to have the bar high - unfortunately, I think they have lowered it just a bit.

When we were there in January - not an overly busy time of year - there was garbage on the ground throughout the parks - MK more so than the others - the outdoor tables at some of the QS locations were left with trays or were just dirty - I was very surprised by that - not because I have a high standard, but because I had seen the CM's on previous visits pick up trash as kids dropped it and clean up tables immediately after a family had left.

We also stayed at the YC - which I loved - it is a beautiful resort and we were quite happy with our stay there - BUT - I will tell you that there was candy and food crumbs next to the cushion on the bench seat in our room from the time we checked in until we checked out. I didn't say anything - I just wondered silently if Mousekeeping would clean it - if I could easily see it - I would guess they could too. Just an example of the types of things that have seemed to change.

Will I stop visiting - I would doubt that - I love the memories I've made there with my family and the magic that I can still find there.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #83
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats Dragon View Post
DW has been the one place that our family could go together and all have fun. Every year something has been cut out and the prices have gone up. Being optimists we continued looking at the bright side. Then we had a horrible experience with my sister who was dying and was treated with indifference (which is really an understatement). It was such a shock to us and we felt betrayed by a magical family tradition. We have tried to keep going back but last year everything was filthy and 2 of us got stomach viruses. We are going one last time just because we hate to give in but if something happens and we can't go it won't be such a terrible thing anymore. We can only afford a one day ticket anyway!!
I'm sorry to hear about your sisters situation. Did WDW know about it? According to Lee Cockerell the WDW he knew would have bent over backwards for your sister and family. The stomach viruses were not caused by WDW were they? I would give WDW another try. Maybe go to a park (if possible) that you did not visit during your bad experience. I would also write, e-mail WDW concerning your past experience. Please go one more time with clear open minds. Separate the attitudes of the guests from the cm's. Smile and greet and thank the cm's. If that still does not restore some magic then quit WDW. How many are in your party?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #84
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the kind words. We have a lifetime of memories that were mostly magical. My sister was a teacher and had her creative writing classes, every year, plan a trip to Disney using her annual brochures as props. She was a neat lady. CM's are like the rest of us- some have been beyond wonderful and some are rude and a lot are just at work. There are more of the latter these days. I feel guilty for posting a negative post when a lot of people are saving for year(s) for a wonderful vacation and maybe DW is going to be that for them.

O WDW every year since 1971 O
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #85
sherry8253
The TF hopes to brighten your day too!!!

We go to Disney at least once a year and have done so for the last 15 to 20 years. Our last trip was for 12 nights in early Dec '08. We did a split stay at AKL and CR. Our rooms were clean, nothing broken, dirty or worn. Mousekeeping was exceptional. We often went back to our room early in the afternoon for a rest and it was always made up. The CM's were friendly and helpful even the CM who had to listen to a customer loudly complain why the room assigned to the family at the CR was not on a high enough floor. My husband and I never encounterd a stinky or dirty rest room in any of the parks or public facilities in the hotels. We had dinner at the YC, WL, AKL, CR, a few epcot restaurants and the Brown Derby. The food was very good. We never do the dining plan and I have noticed less choices since the dining plan started. Have we noticed some little things.... like some light bulbs burned out, different colors of paint in colored sidewalk areas, fast food restaurants closed, less cast members and because of that having to wait longer in shops. Yes. Does it make Disney any less magical for me? No. My heart always beats a little faster when I first walk down Main Street each trip and see the palace because that means I have arrived at my favorite vacation spot. Maybe I am overlooking what many of you are seeing because I am caught up in the wonder of just being at Disney & losing to my DH playing Buzz Lightyear, laughing at the ghosts at the Haunted Mansion and just being caught up in the Disney Magic. I was diagnosed with cancer in Jan '09 and the thoughts of going to Disney in Jan '10 are helping me deal with the ordeals of chemo, radiation and upcoming surgery in Sept. I am glad that I believe in Disney magic.

Last edited by sherry8253; 07-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #86
idofabric
"How do I...?"

I think that there is still Magic to be found at WDW. However, I feel that the more you go the more you see... the good, the bad, and just what is different. All things change and I have photos of things and places we took our first trip many years ago, when I compare them to now I see that places need paint, upkeep, or more magic. I do think that it is lot less clean then it was, but it is still a lot more clean then the last time I was at IOA at Universal. And we had a VIP with us there that took us in all the back doors and stuff..( DH worked with the Project Manger? that built IOA and he has lifetime free entry at ALL the Univ. parks, world wide- so it was free for all of our family and he had entry to all the "backdoors" of the rides/shows and stuff. Took about 4 hours to every ride there with him along. And the backdoor into DD and Spiderman? was kinda cool, but filthy!) And my NDN has a photo of the gum pole at Univ. Can't see WDW letting that pass! I did notice on a trip to WDW in Jan that there was a piece of gum rather high up on a pole and took a photo-in April it was still there, I looked. I don't think that would have happened several years ago. And I also notice that some of the trash cans either get full quicker or are cleaned up less often.
On the third hand... even WDW is having a crunch. I have friends that have been CMs for several years, and they are not able to pick up as many shifts as they were used to. And as we all know, everything costs more every year. I think that like a lot of people I forget that even thou the ticket into a park costs a lot of money and more each year, so does the cost of electricty, water, insurance, and other operating costs at WDW. Maybe not as much as for us- don't know how much is in house- but even then they do have costs for in house stuff.
I think that the more we go down, about 5 to 7 trips a year, the more I notice the little things. I take more time to just be there, don't worry if I get on a ride, see a show, eat someplace. I know I am very, very lucky to go that often- but I have seen that it is less clean, less CMs that care, and more rude visitors-it still has the Magic, only it might be said to be a little tarnished and overworked... LOL I am getting old!
Other Disney trips... well, the kids got to go... But I own the timeshare and buy the tickets!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #87
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbyday View Post

When we were there in January - not an overly busy time of year - there was garbage on the ground throughout the parks - MK more so than the others - the outdoor tables at some of the QS locations were left with trays or were just dirty - I was very surprised by that - not because I have a high standard, but because I had seen the CM's on previous visits pick up trash as kids dropped it and clean up tables immediately after a family had left.

We also stayed at the YC - which I loved - it is a beautiful resort and we were quite happy with our stay there - BUT - I will tell you that there was candy and food crumbs next to the cushion on the bench seat in our room from the time we checked in until we checked out. I didn't say anything - I just wondered silently if Mousekeeping would clean it - if I could easily see it - I would guess they could too. Just an example of the types of things that have seemed to change.

Will I stop visiting - I would doubt that - I love the memories I've made there with my family and the magic that I can still find there.
This goes back to what I was saying in my previous post about guests doing their part also. I personally think it's wrong that guests throw trash on the ground. It's also guests who should clean up after themselves at QS restaurants (I can't believe some people's lack of disregard for the people who have to clean up after them and for the other guests who might need that table but it's so filthy they can't). Same with your room, why did the previous family leave food all over? (in this instance though, mousekeeping really should have cleaned it before you got there)

We hold castmembers to extremely high standards, standards we don't even hold ourselves to.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #88
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry8253 View Post
We go to Disney at least once a year and have done so for the last 15 to 20 years. Our last trip was for 12 nights in early Dec '08. We did a split stay at AKL and CR. Our rooms were clean, nothing broken, dirty or worn. Mousekeeping was exceptional. We often went back to our room early in the afternoon for a rest and it was always made up. The CM's were friendly and helpful even the CM who had to listen to a customer loudly complain why the room assigned to the family at the CR was not on a high enough floor. My husband and I never encounterd a stinky or dirty rest room in any of the parks or public facilities in the hotels. We had dinner at the YC, WL, AKL, CR, a few epcot restaurants and the Brown Derby. The food was very good. We never do the dining plan and I have noticed less choices since the dining plan started. Have we noticed some little things.... like some light bulbs burned out, different colors of paint in colored sidewalk areas, fast food restaurants closed, less cast members and because of that having to wait longer in shops. Yes. Does it make Disney any less magical for me? No. My heart always beats a little faster when I first walk down Main Street each trip and see the palace because that means I have arrived at my favorite vacation spot. Maybe I am overlooking what many of you are seeing because I am caught up in the wonder of just being at Disney & losing to my DH playing Buzz Lightyear, laughing at the ghosts at the Haunted Mansion and just being caught up in the Disney Magic. I was diagnosed with cancer in Jan '09 and the thoughts of going to Disney in Jan '10 are helping me deal with the ordeals of chemo, radiation and upcoming surgery in Sept. I am glad that I believe in Disney magic.
Keep believing in the WDW magic. It is still there. I think i'm learning we just have to concentrate more on the positive then the negative because the positive definitely out weighs the negative. Good luck on the chemo and upcoming surgery. When in January are you going? We are going for marathon weekend.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #89
NMW
DIS Veteran

We have been going to WDW since 2003 as a family. Do we see a decline in customer service? Maybe slightly but not enough to ruin our vacation or to take that much notice of it. As for rude cm's I say this, always treat someone as you would like to be treated yourself. We just returned from a week stay in May. The weather was horrible. At the YC when we returned to our hotel there were towels in the lobby for us to dry off. The entire staff was fantastic and except for the weather had a magical time. I guess what I am trying to say is you make your own memories of your vacation with your family not the cm's or sometimes bad food or dirty bathrooms. As your kids get older they will remember the times you went to WDW with them and the great times you had not the other things. The more times you go you just can't compare it to the first time and that is where the problem lies.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #90
NMW
DIS Veteran

Also subscribing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: