Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #61
Kickapoo Joie Juice
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newharmony View Post
DH has been going to WDW since 1971, usually twice a year. He and I have been going since 1989 (when we married). We go twice a year, for 3 weeks each time. He used to tell me he wanted to retire near WDW and work there. It was his dream. Now, he wouldn't think of doing that. His primary reason? The guests. We have seen an big increase in bad behavior by the guests. He now says he wouldn't like having to deal with them as a CM. The magic is still at WDW for us...you'll find it in the CMs. We make sure to "see" them...they are not invisible! We talk to them and thank them every chance we get. We strike up conversations with them. That is where you find the magic. Not with the woman, who, obviously too important to stand in a line at a WDW store, called everyone in line "dare I say it? Trash." Her words. We're still going to retire near WDW. We will spend a lot of time there, take our family and friends there, and we'll love every minute of the magic. Thank you, CMs.
Yeah, I just want to reiterate that I also think it's the guests-we've been going 2-4 times a year for the past twenty years, and the ability for guests to be physically destructive, verbally abusive, and simply slovenly has skyrocketed, IMO.

I don't know whether it's because people are simply being raised without manners or consideration for others, or that those kind of people now have access to credit and are appearing at the parks (which is why we call the GF the "Redneck Ritz).

There has also been a large increase in foreign tour groups, who culturally hold very different (but still valid) ideas of what polite is. This can exacerbate tensions in the park when they rub up against "American" ideals of politeness and behavior.

The solution? I, for one, would pay more if Disney wanted to institute a "Social Fast Pass", where those guests who don't trash their rooms, don't treat CM's like crap, don't make a ton of ADR's and then bail on them, any good behavior that's trackable, get their own special lines and the best tables. Sort of like a merit system

If anything, it would at least encourage the obnoxious guests to behave better to get what they want.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #62
Disneyadore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickapoo Joie Juice View Post

The solution? I, for one, would pay more if Disney wanted to institute a "Social Fast Pass", where those guests who don't trash their rooms, don't treat CM's like crap, don't make a ton of ADR's and then bail on them, any good behavior that's trackable, get their own special lines and the best tables. Sort of like a merit system

If anything, it would at least encourage the obnoxious guests to behave better to get what they want.
Please could you mail this great idea to WDW?
We would gladly pay an extra fee for this.
Thank god there are more people with common sense
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #63
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Since I only go to WDW during the Christmas season, the magic is always there for me. I love staying at the resorts as that is a holiday in itself. There have been some decline in some areas but there has also been improvements in other areas. The free dining promos have really killed the dining expeirences from years gone by and so have all the special promotions. It seemed that I would save like no tomorrow to be able to go every two years at Christmas time and I felt like it was a privelige to go to WDW as a vacation there was out of the realm for most families. Now that Disney is struggling to fill the parks and some people are getting the deal of a lifetime to go there, they sometimes are very demanding and expect more. I would love to be able to see every family expeirence a WDW vacation, but remember, the cast members are stretched to the limit and sometimes can not make that special magic happen all the time. Just enjoy, be patient and the magic will happen.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #64
bnstiles@telus.net
DisneyStiles

This thread has done one thing for me - when we go to WDW in September (1st time in 25 years to WDW) we will take the time to thank the CM's when we see them being nice, compliment the management when we can. We live in a world that is quick to complain (and sometimes we need to) but we are very slow to say "Thank You" or "You did a great job". We are in too much of a hurry to get to the next "experience" that will make us happy. The magic of Disney (been to DL twice in the past 5 years) is in the choices we make. Chuck Swindoll wrote something like this - "Live is 5% what happens to us and 95% how we react." Things may be declined - but let us do our part to encourage (not berate) those who are actually trying as often those who are actually trying get fed up with ignorant guests who fail to show any appreciation. Here's hoping I live up to my plan to show appreciation.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #65
Cookie Princess
My vote would be chocolate lava cake with ice cream from CA Grill
I am most certainly going to be sampling those liquid treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnstiles@telus.net View Post
This thread has done one thing for me - when we go to WDW in September (1st time in 25 years to WDW) we will take the time to thank the CM's when we see them being nice, compliment the management when we can. We live in a world that is quick to complain (and sometimes we need to) but we are very slow to say "Thank You" or "You did a great job". We are in too much of a hurry to get to the next "experience" that will make us happy. The magic of Disney (been to DL twice in the past 5 years) is in the choices we make. Chuck Swindoll wrote something like this - "Live is 5% what happens to us and 95% how we react." Things may be declined - but let us do our part to encourage (not berate) those who are actually trying as often those who are actually trying get fed up with ignorant guests who fail to show any appreciation. Here's hoping I live up to my plan to show appreciation.
Very nice! I am going to take your thoughts with me on our trip next month. I do think the many of the CMs are being stretched due to budget cuts but are still expected to deliver the same level of magic as in year's past. They work very hard!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #66
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnd2155 View Post
I really tried to keep off this post but unfortunately I must get a few things off my chest. I work in the reservations department. I listen to guests for 11hours per day yell at me for not giving them a complimentary upgrade and screaming at me because their children will have to wait in line for rides. We can not control the weather, lines, wait times, availability for Cinderella's castle or the amount of children in the resorts. We as cast members know that this is your vacation and we WANT you to have the most magical experience that we can possibly give you, but we are not magicians. We are not cartoon characters. We are humans. We should all try and remember that sometimes we can't always be as magical as we should. This applies to both cast members and guests alike.
Thank you for your post. It's nice to read responses from those on the front line. So, why are people so obnoxious nowadays versus 5 or 10 years ago? Another new thread?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #67
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse_lady72 View Post
OP, I don't know if you'll find the responses you're looking for because you're preaching to the wrong choir.

Honestly, I remember seeing a lot of maintenance and upkeep happening... it was actually slightly annoying because I continually had to duck around painters, landscapers and pressure washers at Pop Century for our last trip. It was a good thing though because they were making it pretty.

I also remember seeing a lot of painters around the Epcot resort area.

Have I ever found a dirty bathroom or hotel room? No. Does that mean there aren't any, of course not.

Has it declined for me? Nope, if anything the magic is only growing bigger and bigger.
No preaching on the dis-boards.
I was expressing several experiences and was curious about other peoples thoughts. I don't think anybody (including myself) is going to quit WDW because of anything posted here. There is still magic in them there hills.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #68
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

You know, it's not just the Disney castmembers that can create "the magic", but also the guests. Some guests need to clean up after themselves and throw trash in the proper recepticles. Don't get upset when there are no towel animals in your room. Don't ask cast members for stupid requests. No line jumping. Be courteous, afterall we are all there to have a good time.

I'm sure there are tons of things that we as guests can do that would make it easier for the cast members as well as other guests. It's a two way street here people, not just Disney creating "the magic".
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #69
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnstiles@telus.net View Post
Great post

Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #70
Kickapoo Joie Juice
Gone.

The one thing I will blame Disney for is their disastrous Year of A Million Dreams campaign.

Why do I think it was so bad? Because while it was going on I walked into the park hoping something special would happen to me, and at the end of the day when nothing did I felt disappointed.

Then, the third day in I was like, what is wrong with me that I feel disappointed in disney, that's NUTS!

But think about it, you get all these people to come to Disney with the idea that they're giving out ONE MILLION gifts, but the reality is, statistically, you're not going to get one and you're going to be disappointed.

If I felt gypped, and I like to think of myself as somewhat socially enlightened and zen, then how will those people react who are USED to special treatment and then don't get one on the million dreams? Probabably really, really poorly.

The What Are You Celebrating theme is almost as bad, IMO. Why? Because when I'm making the ADR's online for our upcoming 16th anniversary trip, it asks me as I'm booking the Bistro in Paris if I'm celebrating. And I hesitate, because if I put in that we're celebrating our anniversary dinner, then I'm going to *expect* them to do something special. And I don't want to feel disappointed. I almost didn't put it in because I'd rather just go and have a wonderful dinner with DH and just tell the waiter that it's our 16th so he can contratulate us and leave it at that.

So, I'd say it's 90% ill-behaved guests and 10% Disney creating unreasonable expectations from people prone to being unreasonable from the get-go.

I think Disney's next theme should be You're Not Special, So Behave Yourself And We'll All Have A Good Time.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #71
d-r
l|ll|||ll||ll||

Quote:
Originally Posted by newharmony View Post
DH has been going to WDW since 1971, usually twice a year. He and I have been going since 1989 (when we married). We go twice a year, for 3 weeks each time. He used to tell me he wanted to retire near WDW and work there. It was his dream. Now, he wouldn't think of doing that. His primary reason? The guests. We have seen an big increase in bad behavior by the guests. He now says he wouldn't like having to deal with them as a CM. The magic is still at WDW for us...you'll find it in the CMs. We make sure to "see" them...they are not invisible! We talk to them and thank them every chance we get. We strike up conversations with them. That is where you find the magic. Not with the woman, who, obviously too important to stand in a line at a WDW store, called everyone in line "dare I say it? Trash." Her words. We're still going to retire near WDW. We will spend a lot of time there, take our family and friends there, and we'll love every minute of the magic. Thank you, CMs.
I sometimes joke to my wife that "Disney world would be great if it wasn't for all the tourists." I had an experience where a guy wouldn't let a pregnant woman sit down because he was saving the seat for someone.

Also, it is much better to be a guest than a cast.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #72
PRaffen
Can't wait for my first cruise to get here!

Quote:
I think Disney's next theme should be You're Not Special, So Behave Yourself And We'll All Have A Good Time.
I LOVE this!

I totally agree that disney's "what are you celebrating" just sets guests up to expect "something" and most times the "celebration" is probably gonna pass without any notice.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #73
wendylovesdisney
What's a Pooh Bear got to do around here to get a tag?
The TF thinks wendy is a wonderful sister

I love Disney.

However, I agree that the parks are dirtier, and shabby in some places. I never noticed this 5 years ago or so. My hubby and I used to joke that it almost seemed like a cm was almost "waiting" for trash to pick up or to fall to the ground. Disney World was oh, so clean.
Now, I notice trash I can pass by hours, even DAYS later and have it still be there. Now that is ridiculous.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #74
wendylovesdisney
What's a Pooh Bear got to do around here to get a tag?
The TF thinks wendy is a wonderful sister

Quote:
Is it bad of me to love this quote?!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #75
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

I don't think the question should be has Disney lost it's magic? All of us Disney freaks still find plenty of magic. And I know how some of the guests can be. Rather, I think the question should be "has Disney gone downhill" or something like that. And the answer to that is a definite yes. Those of us who visit frequently can tell the difference. But our numbers are small in comparison to all the people who visit. I've felt for a long time that Disney is not interested in repeat business. They want the first or second time visitor that will spend money like mad and never know how much better things used to be.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: