Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Mouseaholic!!!
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
I so agree with this and dstevens and Mouseaholic. Although we still enjoy WDW, it has changed so much. I often think it simply got too big - too many parks, too many resorts. Attitudes have changed and more often a guest is made to feel they have expectations to high. Maybe some do - after all, it has become the place where Magic is the word and some expect the CM's to make it happen.

It's not about any CM making it happen, for that is within each of us, but the environment, cleanliness, attitudes of CM's as well as other guests, do add to the overall enchantment.

I miss the place I took my children back in 1981 - twice a yr until they said they were "Mickey-ed out". Then I took my godson and friends' munchkins for years until they grew up - then had to find willing friends. I am not as excited about taking my baby grand-daughter...but we have time and I hope to see some positive changes in the next few years. Maybe DL will be her first Disney park - just like her Nana, over 50 yrs ago.

You said this very well.

The magic is inside us. DH is a castmember and I grew up sitting in my rocking chair with my Dale Evans cowgirl outfit and Minnie Ears (now isn't THAT a frightening thought!)....watching Annette, Cubby and all my friends each week.

The true magic is what YOU make.

DH has watched the painful cutbacks the last 3 years and even more agressive ones the first quarter of this year. We have watched Traditions (new castmember training) drop from 2 weeks to 1/2 day, we have watched budgets slashed for the resorts and parks and we have also watched prices go sky high ($300 p/night for the Beach Club - are you kidding?) Now add that our beloved WDW is beginning to look a little like Cinderella BEFORE the fairy godmother's visit.

It's sad. We don't visit WDW 3 or 4 times a year as in the past (maybe once a year now).....we give our travel dollars to places who really WANT us to visit by offering more than the past (more perks, improved rooms/bedding, better discounts).....we visit DL because we see less decline and we wait until the grownups on the West Coast wake up and take responsibility for the future of their investment. Until then....we will make our own magic wherever our travel dollars send us.

Last edited by Mouseaholic!!!; 07-01-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #17
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

We noticed during our July and November trip last year tons of trash being left behind on the monorail. Once it was so bad we had to push the trash to the side just to sit down.

I think the Disney magic has decreased for me mainly because I'm going too often now and I never realized how much it cost as a child!

I agree with a PP poster who said the problem may be the "visitors". It seems that 10 years ago people were more considerate (might be my imagination ) and less "trashy" (I mean that in a littering sense).

It seems with all of the current promotions and what not some people are more interested in "Celebrating ME" or what Disney can do for them (like spending money at WDW entitles them to much more than a nice, fun, relaxing vacation).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

I am sad to say I have noticed a decline in cleanliness, service, upkeep of products (i.e. carpets, toilets, etc), and quality of merchandise and food (esp food) during the past decade. We normally travel to WDW every two years but the last two visits have been a disappointment. I cleaned our room during our last stay because there was so much dust, dirt and grime in the room and bathroom. I kept leaving notes (and tips) for housekeeping. After the fourth day I gave up. I did call the main housekeeping number a few times for items neglected but the response was not consistence in solving the problems.

I sincerely hope the managers of Disney are reading these boards and listening to their customers. Rather than offering one promotion after another why do they not improve the quality of what is already there as a way to attract more business. During our last visit we spent less than $35 on souvenirs. We were visiting in early December and had planned to do all our Christmas shopping at Disney. The selection and quality of the merchandise limited our shopping severely. Hopefully, soon, I will start reading that Disney is improving and not declining.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

As someone earlier said, I also think that we need to look at the population that is visiting WDW lately. The children of the baby boomers are the young parents of today, and frequently, I see a complete lack of control on their part when it comes to their children. Some of the parenting skills I've seen put into practice at WDW make my skin crawl. They don't know how to control their kids, so they don't. It's as simple as that. Kids run amok in hotel lobbies, and Lord help you if they run into you. It will be considered your fault. And don't dare try to tell them to watch where they're going, unless you are ready to get a tongue-lashing from an incompetent parent who's ready to blame everyone before looking at their own children as potentially being the problem. I've seen children drop trash in their parents' line of vision and nothing is said. A previous poster mentioned a child being laughed at for breaking the gingerbread house at the GF. Parents will lie, cheat, beg, steal and run over anyone in their way to get their child onto the rides they want and into a picture with Cinderella. A running joke amongst my friends involves overhearing a mom on the monorail last year reassuring her wailing child, "You'll be FIRST into the Magic Kingdom today." Whatever happened to, "We're paying good money, but so are the rest of these people, and we're going to have to wait our turn like everyone else." As an educator (and a young one at that), I can tell you with absolute certainty that when not given parameters, children WILL do what they want and will come to believe that their negative behavior is what is necessary to get what they want in this world.
Now, imagine these children coming to WDW a few years later on their own for Spring Break, or better yet, behind the check-in desk at your resort, or running Splash Mountain.
I'm not saying that Disney is faultless, and surely the tough times have likely forced Disney to make some cutbacks in some places, but before the blame is completely put on the Mouse, think about what the Mouse is forced to deal with in terms of its guests.

::I'll get off of my soapbox now::
Old 07-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseaholic!!! View Post
You said this very well.

The magic is inside us. DH is a castmember and I grew up sitting in my rocking chair with my Dale Evans cowgirl outfit and Minnie Ears (now isn't THAT a frightening thought!)....watching Annette, Cubby and all my friends each week.

The true magic is what YOU make.

DH has watched the painful cutbacks the last 3 years and even more agressive ones the first quarter of this year. We have watched Traditions (new castmember training) drop from 2 weeks to 1/2 day, we have watched budgets slashed for the resorts and parks and we have also watched prices go sky high ($300 p/night for the Beach Club - are you kidding?) Now add that our beloved WDW is beginning to look a little like Cinderella BEFORE the fairy godmother's visit.

It's sad. We don't visit WDW 3 or 4 times a year as in the past (maybe once a year now).....we give our travel dollars to places who really WANT us to visit by offering more than the past (more perks, improved rooms/bedding, better discounts).....we visit DL because we see less decline and we wait until the grownups on the West Coast wake up and take responsibility for the future of their investment.
I was one of those 2 week Traditions classes...down to a 1/2 day? So sad, so sad.

I agree with everything you wrote. The magic is inside of US - we make it happen... the enchantment of Disney allows the child in each of us to celebrate!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
Kmygrl73
Mouseketeer

We definitely noticely the standards have gone down on our last trip in May. It was during the bad rain week and one restroom we went in in one of the parks was disgusting. Floors and toilets were not clean at all. We are not the complaining type so we just moved on. We were a little disappointed in our room at POR because the outside door was very dirty and needed to be painted badly. We never experienced that before. We had to call 3 times since the time we checked in for a pack and play. We kept thinking it would come and would leave and come back and it wasn't there. Then finally at 10pm when the baby was about to lose it, we had to call again and it finally came. I guess we just get used to everything being perfect so you just expect it but now we know not to expect perfection with the cutbacks and the economy and we love Disney so it will be ok!!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
dstevens
Mouseketeer

Having read the responses here and reading complaints AND compliments on other threads, it appears that the economy and peoples attitudes might be the real problems. Some people have speculated that WDW has cut back on food quality to compensate for the dining plans now made available. WDW has laid off numerous CMs to save money. I'm sure this is felt through out the parks and resorts. CM training is said to have been scaled back. That obviously affects quality of service. Peoples attitudes are changing. Working in retail i see both employees and customers having unrealistic expectations. Employees expect top dollar for little work. Customers expect you to give them the world for a song and dance. People have gotten more impatient and ignorant. But, WDW being who they are, raised the bar for customer service and must continue to uphold the bar no matter what the new attitude is of todays CM's and the economic situation. I look past the ignorant, rude and obnoxious visitors to enjoy the magic of WDW. For the few bad CM's i just say "have a DISNEY day". WDW has not lost the magic to me. Its luster has just dulled a little. Don't get me wrong, we LOVE WDW. We are even DVC owners with NO regrets.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
Sammie
DIS Veteran

It is still magical, is it the same as it was 10 years ago or even 5, absolutely not.

Many things have gone downhill and recently with all the management, housekeeping, maintenance cutbacks, and outsourcing, it is not the Disney of years past.

As to the magic being inside us, I have not changed, but I am not magical enough, to overlook dirty restrooms, overworked CMs and things that need repairing. Many GMs cover two resorts now instead of one, even though the resort is the same size it was when it had two managers. It is definitely harder to find employees willing to have the Disney attitude at work, but much of the problem is money based.

Dining at Disney is so bad, I will probably only eat one or two meals with Disney next trip. Too expensive for the poor quality of food and service.

Last edited by Sammie; 07-01-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #24
gonzo76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
It is still magical, is it the same as it was 10 years ago or even 5, absolutely not.

Many things have gone downhill and recently with all the management, housekeeping, maintenance cutbacks, and outsourcing, it is not the Disney of years past.

As to the magic being inside us, I have not changed, but I am not magical enough, to overlook dirty restrooms, overworked CMs and things that need repairing. Many GMs cover two resorts now instead of one, even though the resort is the same size it was when it had two managers. It is definitely harder to find employees willing to have the Disney attitude at work, but much of the problem is money based.

Dining at Disney is so bad, I will probably only eat one or two meals with Disney next trip. Too expensive for the poor quality of food and service.

I could not agree more. Dh is a former CM and he has noticed the decline in Disney standards. To the point where he does not want to go back next year. I have only been visiting since 2004, I have seen a decline as well. I have not lost the magic. The little things seem to be going away that made Disney so special.

We are taking my mom and niece. They have never been. I know it will be magical for them so I will see it through their eyes.

I will see how this year goes but I will be in the same boat as my DH. I won't be back until the standards go back up. Money talks.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #25
toodycat
DIS Veteran

Our last visit was in 06 and everything seemed OK then. CMs were for the most part kind and sweet. Service was very good. The only thing I miss is this and it doesn't have to do with the parks: when I made my first reservation ever to stay at WDW in 2000, the CM who took the phone call confirmed my name as "J as in Jasmine, A as in Aladdin, N as in Nala, E as in Eeyore," or something like that. That made me feel like the magic started as soon as the reservation was made. They don't bother to do that any more which is a shame.
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #26
exit30
Mouseketeer

I've been wanting to address this for some time now, this seems like a good thread to do so. I have been working in the customer service industry from the day I was born, (family owned business), this includes retail, resort hotels, electric company cust. service, et al. What I have noticed is not the decline in Disney magic or customer service as a whole, but rather a severe decline in work ethic amongst people in this country.

Anyone can interview like a champ, but get them on the job and they can be horrid workers, so you get rid of them, for what, another of the same. Regardless of who Disney or any other cust. service based company hires, there is a 50/50 chance they will be lousy workers, makes no difference if they are trained for a week or a month, people no longer want to work for a paycheck. And spare me the "you get what you pay for" spiel, I've worked with some very well paid people that worked harder at getting out of doing their job.

As for Disney, I've been going there since June of 1972 and I don't notice any decline in the cleanliness, the upkeep, nor the cust. service. Is every CM a happy little elf? No, but that again goes back to the lack of work ethic. I defy any of you to find 50,000 + incredibly happy 8 hours a day, perfect work ethic CM's, not these days you won't.

I currently work on my days off at a small hotel here in South Jersey, ya know who shows up every day and works very hard cleaning rooms and doing maintenance on the property? The Russian kids that come here every summer, because American kids would never, ever do those jobs even if only for 3 months.

No, Disney magic is not gone, the desire to actually WORK for a living is.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #27
David 1980
Disney Dad of 5

lost magic

I think it has and it will be some time before we go back. We went in June and stayed at CSR and from the time we checked in we had nothing but trouble. WE had very rude cast members at the resort and mousekeeping was a joke. I do understand from time to time rides do need to be refurbished but rides were breaking down on a daily basis at all parks. IF and when we go back I will never set foot in CSR as it is back to POP for us. I contacted Disney a few weeks ago about a complaint and have not heard a word from them.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

I have seen a lack of "magic" in some resort areas, CM's, and other guests. But I have seen a plethora of magic in young kids seeing their favorite character for the first time, an older couples whispered tears while watching Illuminations, and in the CM's when you bother to make sure that they are having a Disney day.

I know that high traffic resort areas will have their ups and downs, and I'm positive that WDW will regain it's former luster. Sure, it needs some TLC (in some areas a truckload of it) but I'm sure that it will go back to being the stellar vacation destination that it once was.

I know I sound like a cheerleader, but I prefer to stay positive while taking note of the tarnish.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #29
d-r
l|ll|||ll||ll||

They are slower cleaning things up, getting landscaping done, things like that. Especially since that last round of layoffs there are just fewer people around. You don't see as many cast members working cues and the lines and stuff like that. It has been going little by little for a while, but it really dipped with that last round of layoffs, it seems to me.

And the food has clearly gone down over the last couple of years with the dining plan.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #30
TangaroaTiki
I wanna live at the Polynesian!

No, I do not think WDW has lost its magic

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: