Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #151
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickapoo Joie Juice View Post
Some of Disney's harshest critics are also its biggest fans. If we don't tell Disney when they make bad consumer choices, and aren't vocal in our support of when they do the right thing, then it lessens the magic, imo. Just goes full circle back to my original assertion that guests are a large part of what makes WDW special (and sometimes not special).

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting, just go to 6 flags, it's like Disney only smaller, because it's soooooo not. My aim in participating in these threads, is to prevent Disney from taking on any resemblance to Six Flags, btw...

OMG you are sooo inside my head. I constantly say this when I have to defend myself. I absolutely love & adore Disney, it makes me when I see some of the things I see as a decline in service. I want Disney to return to the outstanding levels that made it the bar to which every other family vacation spot aspired to.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #152
DisneyBride'03
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Balcony was great!
The closest I get to "camping" is the campfire!

Ok....I have read most of the posts here....and a few other threads that coincide with this thread's subject matter.

Since everyone is sharing their thoughts/feelings...here are mine....

I believe the "magic" has to begin within the individual guest...I don't believe you can arrive at WDW and say...ok let the magic begin......where is my free upgrade, where is my towel animal, where is the great weather, where are the small crowds....etc

Nothing in life is perfect..so why should things in WDW always be perfect?

I think WDW allows one to open their heart....to the magic that can be felt...

I think some arrive with expectations that are unrealistic....what is real.....amusement parks to enjoy, resort hotels to sleep/shower and swim.....restaurants to dine in.....sharing this with family and frieds...MAGIC
***runDisney***2010 Inaugural Wine & Dine Half~ 2011 WDW Half~2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 Princess Half~2012 Disneyland Half~2012 Wine & Dine Half~ 2013 Princes Half~2013 Inaugural Dumbo Dare~2013 Wine/Dine

Upcoming: Aulani Feb 2014

1980 Poly~2003 Poly~2003 Poly Fairy Tale Wedding/Grand Floridian~2007 Pop~2007 YC CL DVC Owners ~2007 SSR~2008 BWV/DCL/AKV~2008 OKW~2008 SSR/WL~2008 ASMu/AKV~2009 VWL/BCV~2009 BLT/Swan/Kidani~2009 POFQ/AKL~2010 SSR~ 2010 YC CL/AKV~2011 POFQ~2011 Sports & OKW~2011 Kidani & BCV~ 2011 POFQ ~ 2012 BCV~2012 DL Hotel~2012 BLT/AKV~2013 OKW/BCV~2013 DL Hotel~2013 Pop/SSR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #153
aleckendyl
wdw fanatic

IMHO, not in the least bit.
I consider WDW and DLR to have MORE magic than ever.
Magic is in the heart and mind of the guest.
One can CHOOSE to have a magical time with family OR one can whine and complain...see fault.
I choose to enjoy life. WDW is a big part of that.
The magic keeps gettin better!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #154
aleckendyl
wdw fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBride'03 View Post
Ok....I have read most of the posts here....and a few other threads that coincide with this thread's subject matter.

I believe the "magic" has to begin within the individual guest...I don't believe you can arrive at WDW and say...ok let the magic begin......where is my free upgrade, where is my towel animal, where is the great weather, where are the small crowds....etc

I think some arrive with expectations that are unrealistic....what is real.....amusement parks to enjoy, resort hotels to sleep/shower and swim.....restaurants to dine in.....sharing this with family and frieds...MAGIC
Agreed.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #155
kimbo0569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBride'03 View Post

Well said! My family and I were just in WDW Sept 08 and before that, our last visit was back in July 04. When I got back to "the World" in 08, I was totally looking forward to it, as were my girls, since my youngest had never been and my oldest was 2 1/2 during our last visit. The "magic" that alot of people are looking for is what you bring with you. We went, not expecting anything but some time together as a family having a good time. And that we did! We made our own magic. Almost a year later, my girls are still talking about what a great time we had! And we cannot wait until our next visit is. I've been to Disney several times since I was 12 and look forward to it every single time. We've created wonderful memories as I was a kid and even more with my own.

CBR - 1992/1993/1995/1997
1999 - GF - honeymoon
2000 -daytrip Epcot- F&W Festival 2001 POFQ 2003 -oldest dd's first day trip to MK/ dinner at OHana
2004 POR
2008 POR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1996562My first TR!
2013 CSR/Food & Wine Anniversary trip
Old 07-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #156
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperandLitenin View Post
The only magic lost for me is the direct result of the decline in the clientele. Rude, selfish behavior (such as line-jumping/letting Daddy stand in line while Mom and the kids enjoy another ride), lack of respect for others, inappropriate dress and language, screaming in the hallways late at night, etc.

Twelve hour vacation days in sweltering heat spent standing in long lines can make people do things they normally wouldn't (hopefully).

Chalk-up part of that to finally recognizing I am getting older - hit the big 51 this year. DW and I have the luxury of avoiding busy seasons, which alleviates 75% of the problems.

Yeah, maybe the landscaping isn't as stellar as it used to be, sometimes the restrooms aren't as claen, but for the most part, WDW still is everything I am looking for. Compared to the alternatives, nothing even comes close for me.
I couldn't agree more! ESPECIALLY w/ your first paragraph about the clientele!
We have sucha difficult time going anywhere else when we take a vacation because even w/ some issues (and what place doesn't have them), there still is no palce my home WDW that is!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #157
chrisw127

DIS Veteran

To me, it's interesting that despite cutbacks and layoffs, most CMs really have great attitudes. I'll admit that when I was there in May the bathrooms in the Magic Kingdom were dirty; I'd never seen them like that before. But I don't think it was the CMs who were clearly hard-working that were to blame but the corporate bozos who made some bad staffing decisions. Hopefully that will change.

It's funny, but today I went to Whole Foods and as usual, the cashiers there were rude and had attitudes and I thought "You know, these surly buggars wouldn't cut it at Disney." I guess that says something.

I really like this article by Chicago Sun Times columnist Neil Steinberg. By his own admission he is not a Disney fan, but I think he sums up what Disney does best really well:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinbe...tein06.article
Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #158
tpayne
I still get fuzzy feelings with the Brut

When all is said and done...sometimes... you have to make your own magic.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #159
jrt1176
Mouseketeer

I havent read the whole thread, but I did see the post below...

I believe Disney hires a lot of college students as CM's. You take classes and work, they take room and board out of your paycheck, etc. Essentially, the student gets a resume builder and Disney gets cheap labor from an educated college student.

My roommate and I were going to do this in college, but once we saw that you dont get much cash after room and board so that we couldnt have fun on the days off or nights, we decided against it.

A girl I dated worked at Disney, she didnt have a lot of good words to say about how she was treated. She got ill on a shift and they just had her go in the back! No one looked after her! Eventually a lifeguard who was off duty took her to the hospital.

I, personally, dont think the magic is gone. I just wanted to comment on that tangent subject. I do think the economy has probably had something to do with the service. I also dont like how the food has become standard at most CS locations, from what I have read. I liked it when they all had their own niche, at least to extent did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dork in DFW View Post
"Monorail and Watercraft Hosts and Hostesses receive a starting rate of $7.35/hour to $8.25/hour."

That's pretty weak. There had better be some rockin' benefits to go with that salary, or some amazing opportunities for advancement. I know that if I were sweating my hindquarters off on a monorail platform all day, I would be rather disappointed when my paycheck arrived. I certainly wouldn't be feeling "magical" about it.

Frankly, it makes those cm's who do keep smiling and preserving the magic worthy of praise and commendation.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #160
pioneer89
Not my name

No, they have not lost the magic. I still feel the magic when I go, but over the past few years of visits, I've noticed a pronounced downward slide.

Most of the issues listed ITT can be traced all the way up the ladder to the upper management of Disney. The vision seems to have shifted from "Profit by giving the customer a magical time." into "Profit."

In the past, I spent a lot of money to get a magical vacation at WDW, and WDW spent a lot of effort to see I got just that. I had a good time, and they made a ton of money by trying their best to give me a good time.

Now, I spend a lot of money to get a magical vacation at WDW and WDW spends a lot of effort to give me a little as they possibly can, with no clear idea of where I'll finally draw my line. No one wants to feel like they are a cash cow.

Anyhoo, I've been drilled to never complain without offering a solution, so here goes:

Now, with the economy as it is should be the time for Disney with it's sound books and deep pockets to push themselves to a higher level. CM who don't fear random layoffs or cut hours will perform better for a company that cares. Construction material and labor will never be lower, where is the fifth park, or the expansons to AK or MK? If the parks and resorts are truely overstaffed, keep people working, that gives the CMs more time to work that magic.

A shareholder has to wonder what Disney management is doing. Cutbacks and penny pinching in the hospitality industry has never, ever pushed a company ahead. The poor quality now will be remembered for decades, and one bad trip cancels out years of magic.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #161
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
I was one of those 2 week Traditions classes...down to a 1/2 day? So sad, so sad.

I agree with everything you wrote. The magic is inside of US - we make it happen... the enchantment of Disney allows the child in each of us to celebrate!
I worked at Vero Beach in 1997. We had 2 days total--maybe a day and a half before we got our costumes and learned our specific area stuff. Our traditions was only a fraction of that time.

I remember wishing we had 2 weeks of tradition. That at least meant I'd have two more weeks before having to clean toilets for Lobby Mousekeeping.

The guest were wonderful. The lobby staff and coaches were wonderful.

I personally found the Mousekeeping Coaches to be horrendous, awful, and catty. It was a shame.

I ended up providing notice b/c a job opportunity I had been waiting on came through and my dreams of working for the mouse were shattered from the condescending nature of my coaches.

The look on my coaches face when she was compelled to inquire what they could do to get me to stay was priceless. She didn't like me and it was point blank obvious that General Management knew a good employee when they saw one.

One day, I may work again for the mouse--but the impression that left on me has lasted and I could very well envision why it is difficult to keep good employees especially in the more "unworthy" positions such as any type of cleaning where coaches treat the cast in that manner.

Example: A roudy crowd made a horrendous mess in the lobby after my shift. We had the overnight staff confirm this--it was at roughly 2am and my shift ended at 11/11:30. But that did not stop my coach from condemning me in front of the day shift as we were walking from the work building (Forget what it was called) one day en route to do our jobs. I was berated for not completing my work. I was in complete shock that she didn't get her facts straight and the repugnant look on the lady who comes in the mornings after I got off showed clear enjoyment that she had gotten me in trouble.

Clearly--those two must have had the shortened traditions class as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #162
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickapoo Joie Juice View Post
I think Disney's next theme should be You're Not Special, So Behave Yourself And We'll All Have A Good Time.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #163
dstevens
Mouseketeer

This account from PP is not they way WDW used to be run according to Lee Cockerell in his book. More evidence that WDW is slidding? But it is still great to visit (for the person that believes this thread is only "bashing" WDW).

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #164
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Ours, too

We were trying to come up with ways WDW has improved or added enhancements over the 13+ years we've been staying on-property, and we keep coming up only with amenities and/or perks they have removed or that have declined over the years. Other than adding new attractions in the parks and more and more DVC resorts, we couldn't think of anything added that makes our stay more enjoyable. It seems that every year something disappears that was once included or available or cleanliness or service declines or becomes erratic, at best.

On another thread which asks what WDW should return from the "old Dis", it made me realize that too much that I value is disappearing, sometimes just the little things. But, those little things used to add up to great enjoyment.

WDW: Charge us more if you need to, but please stop this rapid decline in resort/park cleanliness, attention to detail, customer service/appreciation. Bring back the consistent quality and high standards which separated WDW from all the rest, and put the customer satisfaction surveys back in the rooms.
I have a theory that over the years, Disney has tried to make themselves more open to everyone regardless of income so that everyone can experience the magic.

All these promotions and discounts---cut into the magic b/c they cannot profit as much when they cut prices. For example--In the beginning of this year, the parks were crowded, but Disney wasn't doing well b/c when they do these promotions, they are hoping folks will eat and shop. But they don't. They go barebones just to get into the parks.

This is what turned us onto DVC and away from the All star Resorts.

I remember when they built the value resorts-at $69 it was a steal and it felt Disney. Over the years, I found they declined as they got more expensive and it truly felt I was at a themed Motel 6. It isn't to knock the resort or its clientele.

But Disney didn't have to make its business model "available to anyone and everyone". In the end it compromises what they can do to make the experience magical for everyone.

Going to Disney isn't in the US constitution and while it is great that all these families can go--when you cut the cost of going, it cuts into the profits of the company. Combined with overpayment of execs--the cuts have to come from somewhere.

Someone posted earlier that you can't get good employees by paying so little. I disagree.

Someone either has a good moral compass or they don't. They either have manners or they don't.

If you paid a rude cast member $50 an hour--they don't suddenly become polite.

Surely the money helps provide incentive to have a larger pool of applicants in which to draw from it higher quality employees--but as I stated above..it wasn't the wage that made my job as a mousekeeper horrible--it was my immediate supervisor ("coach") that made it a living hell towards the end of the two months. She treated me like I was white trash and the worst employee ever. It was awful. The entire cast of the lobby, all the office employees, DVC sales folks and all the leads, the kitchen staff (I had to clean their bathroom), the catering staff---ALL thought I did a wonderful job as did all the guests I encountered.

But up until management required her to ask how she could retain me--she would have conveyed that I was a horrible employee for matters beyond my control all due to another repugnant cast member who came in each morning to document what I did wrong---for things that occurred in the 8 hours since I had gone home.

You can pay an employee the base minimum--but if you treat them like gold, they will do much for you. Pay them a million dollars and make their lives a living hell, and you will lose them.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #165
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

Actually I agree...but disagree. Free dining and promotions do not help very poor people go to DW. Believe me I know. Life sent me from the poly for a long stay to an offsite for a day. I could never have afforded the package back then no matter how good the deal. Those of you who believe they are for the "lower incomes" have never been there. Who can now afford 70-80 a day for 1 ticket? Only middle class and above.

O WDW every year since 1971 O
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: